Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1037837 - 07/06/07 02:25 PM What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This was inspired by a discussion of the definition of the word "pianist" - but this seemed more fun to me \:D

There aren't any pianists whose nickname is "Fats"

No one ever yells "Don't shoot me, I'm only the pianist!"

I used to think there aren't any jokes that start "A pianist walks into a bar. . ." but we've all heard the one about the 12" pianist by now, huh \:D

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1037838 - 07/06/07 02:55 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
If you call yourself a pianist, somebody with dyslexia won't mistake you for a player piano. \:D

#1037839 - 07/06/07 03:05 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I feel a distinction between the two. A piano player can play the piano while a pianist can make the instrument come alive.

Just a thought,
rada
www.pianopassions.com

#1037840 - 07/06/07 03:07 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
If you call yourself a pianist, somebody with dyslexia won't mistake you for a player piano.
LOL[/b]....too clever! \:D

#1037841 - 07/06/07 03:09 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Monica - LOL

#1037842 - 07/06/07 05:35 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
'pianist' is more refered to the profession in piano, while 'piano player' is more general term for anyone who can play piano, good or bad or whatever. therefore, i would hesitate to call myself a pianist, but have no problem with anyone calling me a piano player...

actually, people don't take too seriously about it now, but still 'pianist' usually sounds more serious than 'piano player', and therefore, people expect a pianist to play everything great, but not that much expectations with a piano player!

#1037843 - 07/06/07 05:58 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Well, so far Monica wins the cleverness stakes - more silly jokes!

Cathy

#1037844 - 07/06/07 06:27 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Clever is as clever does, don't they say?

Would a dyslectic be able to spell dyslexia?

Just as pain-o is piano spelled dyslectically.

Maybe it's not really dyslexia, but just bad typing.

What is the "de-merit" in the sub-division of the stars? Not so clever after all! Are we enjoying ourselves?

#1037845 - 07/06/07 06:47 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
My Ramdon House Dictionary defines a pianist as: A person who plays the piano, esp. professionally. When my classical piano teacher asked me to teach classical piano as her understudy, she had her Master's in Music Education, she referred to me as a pianist. I was very happy and very grateful . Sandy B

#1037846 - 07/06/07 08:29 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
Roger Ransom Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I actually think it has more to do with ego than anything else.

#1037847 - 07/06/07 08:46 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

True confessions.

I thought of the title as the intro to a joke and was looking for punch lines.

I don't - seriously - find any difference.

Maybe I should have titled the thread "A pianist walks into a bar. . ."

Monica, quit sniggering! \:D

Cathy - hahahahahahahahaha!

#1037848 - 07/06/07 08:48 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A guy walks into the doctor's office and says, "Doc, I haven't had a bowel movement in a week!" The doctor gives him a prescription for a mild laxative and tells him, "If it doesn't work, let me know."

A week later the guy is back: "Doc, still no movement!"

The doctor says, "Hmm, guess you need something stronger," and prescribes a powerful laxative.

Still another week later the poor guy is back: "Doc, STILL nothing!"

The doctor, worried, says, "We'd better get some more information about you to try to figure out what's going on. What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a pianist."

The doctor looks up and says, "Well, that's it! Here's $10.00. Go get something to eat!"

#1037849 - 07/06/07 08:51 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

YES!

Pretty funny, J. Mark -

Cathy

#1037850 - 07/06/07 08:58 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A pianist is playing in a seedy, Mafia-owned tavern in South Jersey...it's 11:55 PM, and he's 5 minutes away from the end of his gig. The owner's assistant comes up to the pianist and says:

"Da boss wants you should play Strangers In Da Nite."
The pianist says: "Okay, no problem."

The henchman continues: "Da boss wants you should play it in F#"...
The pianist says "I usually play it in F, but no problem!"

The henchman goes on: "Da boss wants you should play it in 5/4 time."
The pianist says "But the song is in 4/4 time...How am I supposed to do that?"
Henchman asks him: "Look, you want paid or not?"

So the pianist improvises an introduction, and as he gets to the opening notes of the song, he hears, in a really ugly, raspy voice behind him:

"Strangers in-da-friggin' night....exchanging glances; Strangers in-da-friggin' night ..."

#1037851 - 07/06/07 09:03 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Good thing I'd swallowed my coffee before I read that - otherwise I'd have to clean it off the screen - 8>/

#1037852 - 07/06/07 09:11 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Did you hear about the pianist who kept banging his head against the keys?
He was playing by ear.

#1037853 - 07/07/07 06:29 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
candi bowen Offline

Loc: akron, ohio
The difference is $200 an hour.

#1037854 - 07/07/07 06:41 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jwjazz Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by jotur:

There aren't any pianists whose nickname is "Fats"

[/b]
Why is "Fats" Waller not a pianist?

#1037855 - 07/07/07 08:46 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If I was a "pianist" I think I should be able to accomodate a request for "Do you know ____?" by at least faking it by ear. I also think I would be able to sightread well at an intermediate level, in December, plop a book of easy to early intermediate Christmas tunes in front of me and entertain guests. Then I would be a pianist!!

#1037856 - 07/07/07 11:46 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
Matt H Offline

Loc: Indiana
This reminds me of a violin joke.

What is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

A violin has strings. A fiddle has "strangs".

I think the difference between pianist and piano player relates to genre and social distinction. A piano player plays in a bar (or better yet, in a joint), a pianist in a concert hall. That's why Fats Waller is not a pianist.

Note: I'm not endorsing the value judgment implied by this distinction, just pointing it out.

#1037857 - 07/07/07 12:11 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
If I was a "pianist" I think I should be able to accomodate a request for "Do you know ____?" by at least faking it by ear. I also think I would be able to sightread well at an intermediate level, in December, plop a book of easy to early intermediate Christmas tunes in front of me and entertain guests. Then I would be a pianist!! [/b]
Does 3 out of 4 make me a 3/4 pianist? \:D

Yes, the pun was intentional.

flickr

#1037858 - 07/07/07 12:18 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Matt H posts: "What is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

A violin has strings. A fiddle has "strangs"."

Ay-yup - \:\)

For jwjazz, from an earlier post of mine: "True confessions.

I thought of the title as the intro to a joke and was looking for punch lines.

I don't - seriously - find any difference.

Maybe I should have titled the thread 'A pianist walks into a bar. . .' " - FATS WALLER AND MARCIA BALL FOREVER! \:\)

and from Matt H again: "Note: I'm not endorsing the value judgment implied by this distinction, just pointing it out." - I was just poking fun at it, myself.

This thread reminds me of the time when I passed out a bunch of flyers for a tennis tournament and asked my (computer programmer) colleagues to color them before I posted them around work - wow! were they good colorers! And not in the lines, either! We hadn't had so much fun since Hector was a pup -

Cathy

#1037859 - 07/07/07 01:03 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
J. Mark,

I liked the "playing by ear" joke the best. \:D

#1037860 - 07/07/07 01:19 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Dear Members, To be called a pianist has to be earned . Many years of lessons and talent. Hard work and talent... not ego...makes a pianist. In fact, my pianist friends are quite humble and admit they do not know it all...Sandy B

#1037861 - 07/09/07 02:51 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
dfpolitowski Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Well, it seems to me the difference is not so much as to definition as to word origin together with historical curcumstances. A quick look to the dictionary tells us the suffix "ist" to be an inflexed ending. This makes the noun verbal. The inflexion is typical of latin origin. So I see, this term to have french origin or in a broad sence perhaps europian. Which is problely an older term than "Piano Player" Also note, the inflexed term seems to my ears to have a more subjective or personal meaning to it. The syntax "piano player" seems to include the notion of many surrounding instruments. But my feelings on this are only from my own mind and life experience as a user of English. One would need to do a major corpus search in order to find when and how this syntax was first used. I think it to be more vulgar and of course less established than "pianist".

Furthermore, words have a phenomenon moving from phrase to a fixed form know as collocation to hyphenation and than lastly becoming single word. This is no guarantee that "piano player" will ever move into one word. It probably won't because pianist is already doing the job.

But remember which ever term you chose to use the meaning should be understood to as the users intention first and context. Not historical definition.

Just my pedantic ramblings.
David P

#1037862 - 07/12/07 10:35 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
glyptodont2 Offline

Sandy writes: Dear Members, To be called a pianist has to be earned . Many years of lessons and talent. Hard work and talent... not ego...makes a pianist. In fact, my pianist friends are quite humble and admit they do not know it all...Sandy B

------------------------------

I don't know that I would apply either word to myself. If asked what sort of pastimes I like, I would probably include playing the piano.

Neither word is entirely satisfactory. Pianist sounds like it is your profession. Piano player sounds patronizing, and suggests "self taught."

Sandy's quote suggests the importance of recognition for a person's extensive training and effort. No disagreement. However, the back side of that is, if you call yourself a pianist, you had better be GOOD. If you are mediocre and term yourself that, you will look like a prime fool.

I always only play for my two cats, and they don't really care what I call myself.

#1037863 - 07/12/07 10:41 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player?
durtyz Offline

Loc: luxembourg
They easily avoid this in popular music, credits are usually

vocals: person 1
guitar, piano: person 2
bass: person 3

or some similar permutation.

I suppose it really depends on the value the individual applies to the words in question if someone calls themselves a pianist and they're not particularly good, pointing that out to them could make you look overly pedantic and just as foolish.

#1261271 - 09/02/09 06:51 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: Monica K.]
Benn Offline

Loc: Battle Creek, MI
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
If you call yourself a pianist, somebody with dyslexia won't mistake you for a player piano. laugh

Great one, Monica! Two years after making your joke you are still making people laugh.

I've always thought of a "pianist" as somebody who makes their living (or at least tries to make their living) off of playing the piano. I suppose though that anybody who plays the piano can call themselves a pianist... it's shorter and funner to say!

However, it would probably be misleading to call yourself a pianist or piano player if you haven't yet reached a skill level where you can either entertain or move people with your piano playing. If you are at a beginner level, it's probably more straightforward to just say that you are learning to play the piano.

Edited by Benn (09/02/09 07:02 PM)

The Financial Reader: http://thefinancialreader.com

#1261277 - 09/02/09 07:01 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: dfpolitowski]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

In the dictionary, beside the entry for pianist, one will not find a picture of me.

#1261303 - 09/02/09 07:57 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: dfpolitowski]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
I'd be more than happy to have anyone call me either one - but if I played a flute I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!

Regards, JF

Note: if flaut is French for flute then go to France with the rest of those spaghetti-spinned weasels and be a flautist... (French piano players and pianists excepted)

Edited by John Frank (09/02/09 07:59 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1261304 - 09/02/09 08:04 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

WOW! This is a blast from the past!

From another current thread - I referred to our octave mandolin player as a "mandolinista" and bluekeys said it was his new favorite word!

Should we start on banjo jokes, too?

(Nice one, Home)

laugh

Cathy

#1261345 - 09/02/09 09:18 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
mcasl Offline

Loc: Spain
In spanish both terms are directly connected as we use flauta and flautista.

- Danza Oriental, E. Granados
- Nocturne 4, J. Field
- Six variations on 'Mio caro adone', W.A. Mozart
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl

#1261350 - 09/02/09 09:25 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: John Frank
I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!
It's only your perception that makes it sound pretentious, I think. If it's always been used where you are, like here in Oz, then it just sounds normal.
But I'll respect your wishes and never call you a "flautist" smile

#1261565 - 09/03/09 05:08 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: currawong]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!
It's only your perception that makes it sound pretentious, I think. If it's always been used where you are, like here in Oz, then it just sounds normal.
But I'll respect your wishes and never call you a "flautist" smile

Thanks - but calling a flute player a "flautist" will never sound "normal", neither in the Land of Oz nor elsewhere - this is like calling a garbage man a "sanitary engineer" or a salesman an "account representative" or a clerk a "customer service agent" - after all, Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos (concerti) - and while we're at it shouldn't the proper term be pianoforteist since that's the correct historical name for our beloved instrument? And perhaps the term keyboardist would be most nearly all-inclusive since it could reasonably cover DP players, organists, harpsicordists, etc.

Regards, JF

#1261568 - 09/03/09 05:18 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Cranky today are we, JF? laugh

So, here's an adjunct to this thread:

What do you call a person who plays -

a piano

a guitar

a violin

a tympani

a mandolin

spoons

a banjo

a flute

a marimba

an ocarina

a didgeridoo

the radio

??

Cathy

#1261574 - 09/03/09 05:47 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos
He also didn't refer to a flute as a "flute" either smile . (Except on the days he was speaking US English to keep you happy smile )

#1261664 - 09/03/09 09:52 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: jotur]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
Cranky today are we, JF? laugh

grin Not just today, but every day - I take a pill to get that way laugh

So, here's an adjunct to this thread:

What do you call a person who plays -

a flute

A freakin' flaming foreign flautist... eek or, a flute player...

the radio

Cathy

Someone with a broken CD player...

Regards, JF

#1261672 - 09/03/09 10:05 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: currawong]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos
He also didn't refer to a flute as a "flute" either smile .

I concede your point (although I'm sure given the choice - if he had spoken USA English - he would have used "flute") - tradition has it that he always referred to the flute as "that girly-man instrument" (although I can't seem to verify the accuracy of this assertion) laugh .

And I'm sure that you will now concede that there's absolutely no good reason to call a flute player, i.e., a flutist, a "flautist" except the carryover "snob appeal" from polite, aristocratic European society - a culture that died a couple of centuries ago, but which few there have been brave or honest enough to accept yet. smile

Regards, JF

#1261676 - 09/03/09 10:11 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
Did you just launch a broadside attack against the entire population of Europe?

#1261687 - 09/03/09 10:29 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: Matt H]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Matt H

I think the difference between pianist and piano player relates to genre and social distinction. A piano player plays in a bar (or better yet, in a joint), a pianist in a concert hall. That's why Fats Waller is not a pianist.

To set the record straight, Fats Waller played Carnegie Hall twice, in 1942 and 1944:

http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/fats-waller-at-carnegie-hall-1942-and-1944/

And, Fats Domino also played Carnegie Hall in 1971:

http://www.concertposterart.com/poster/d...-Poster-Type-Ad

Edited by rocket88 (09/03/09 10:31 AM)

#1261696 - 09/03/09 10:39 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: TrapperJohn]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

[quote=jotur] the radio

Cathy

Someone with a broken CD player...

Regards, JF

LOL

Cathy

#1263113 - 09/05/09 06:28 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Interesting question! I have mentioned that I "play piano" but several people, including my instructor says that I am a pianist. I wonder and think that maybe the more one pursues playing, the more the term applies?? In any event, to see oneself actually playing musical pieces, is a sheer delight!!

Take care!

#1263147 - 09/05/09 07:45 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: piano4]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I didn't realize this was an old thread till I saw Wilson's lawyer's post...

Edited by Mark... (09/05/09 07:49 PM)

#1263169 - 09/05/09 08:37 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: rocket88]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
How do you pronounce "pianist" anyway? There are two pronunciations listed in the dictionary, one like piano with an ist at the end, the other the pronunciation that no one with a child under the age of 18 ever uses because of the ensuing hilarity.

Edited by Nikalette (09/05/09 08:40 PM)

#1263173 - 09/05/09 08:41 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano play [Re: Nikalette]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikalette
How do you pronounce "pianist" anyway? There are two pronunciations that I have heard, one like piano with an ist at the end, the other the pronunciation that no one with a child under the age of 18 ever uses because of the ensuing hilarity.
Like a lot of pronunciations, it varies depending on where in the English-speaking world you live. I'm afraid that here in Australia, we use the hilarity-inducing pronunciation, and strangely enough, I've never seen it induce hilarity smile .

#1263188 - 09/05/09 09:05 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: Mark...]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark...

ha

and at the time he was kind of funny smile

This thread coming up again took me by surprise, too smile

Cathy

#1263191 - 09/05/09 09:15 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: jotur]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Mark...

ha

and at the time he was kind of funny smile

This thread coming up again took me by surprise, too smile

Cathy

Yeah, I enjoyed his posts, he seemed like a nice guy, who would of thought he was a sock puppet?...

Edited by Mark... (09/05/09 09:16 PM)

#1263237 - 09/05/09 10:48 PM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: Mark...]
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi

Note: if flaut is French for flute then go to France with the rest of those spaghetti-spinned weasels and be a flautist... (French piano players and pianists excepted)

Sorry JF, You will have to direct your foul mood on someone else; in French, we call them "flutiste" when they "joue de la flute" wink

#1263315 - 09/06/09 05:34 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: ddh]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ddh - "foul mood"? What foul mood? I was being upbeat and cordial when I said that! wink but sorry - I stand corrected - and I was mostly kidding about the French - I'm sure that most French people are very nice (whether they're flutists, flautists or flutiste) - after all, nobody really believes that old saying that the only thing the French do well is surrender laugh - but then, there are many unwarranted stereotypes and misconceptions in Europe (and perhaps most especially in France) about America and Americans, aren't there? Both sides need to disspell those, don't we?

Regards, JF

#1263374 - 09/06/09 10:03 AM Re: What's the difference between a pianist and a piano player? [Re: TrapperJohn]
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
JF, I wouldn't know an European stereotype if it was sitting in front of me; I'm from Qu├ębec, Camada. We have our own set of stereotypes (true or not) about Americans.

Sorry about the foul mood; I'm not always able to recognize when You are upbeat and cordial, being French Canadian and all wink

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 41 invisible), 1773 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75505 Members
42 Forums
156130 Topics
2292751 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Herbie Hancock Collection - Do you like it?
by rakim
07/24/14 02:27 PM
What is the purpose of learning a song's chords?
by Alex1
07/24/14 01:45 PM
Question about Heller
by BostonTeacher
07/24/14 01:03 PM
a solo transcription for Debussy' Petite Suite?
by joonsang
07/24/14 12:03 PM
KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
by mmerino
07/24/14 12:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission