2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
deleted Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Okay. This is my little story. I'm not an adult, and I'm not considered a beginner (though I have lots to learn), but still...

I started piano lessons when I was eight. I'm now sixteen. I was never the best student when I was taking lessons (I finished after my freshman year in highschool because my teacher moved away). But the thing is that now that I don't have a teacher I am like the exact opposite and have become a much better piano player than before. alot of my peers who started piano lessons before or at the same time I did say that I'm better than them. And when they ask if I have a teacher and I say not anymore they are really impressed.

but my question is should I get a teacher again? I have a problem with too much structure and learn best by myself. BUT I know that there is much much much more that I need to learn.

So...?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Probably depends on your pianistic goals.

Why do you think you are the exact opposite of when you had a teacher and have become much better without one? Only because it was too structured? Are you now playing music you want to play where you weren't before? Do you think your teacher was very good? Did you like and get along with your teacher? Did you find your teacher and the instruction motivating? Did you have any say in the selection of your teacher? Are you practicing more than you were before? Is the pressure removed now that you don't have to go to regularly scheduled lessons and "perform" in front of your teacher? etc. etc.

You don't have to answer those questions above, I only ask them to help you answer your own question.

I think the right teacher is invaluable especially when you know you still have a lot to learn. The key of course is finding the right teacher which may mean "auditioning" several before you find one. There are many, many things that can be learned from a good teacher that you will not find in any self-teach book and that you will very unlikely discover on your own.

L
L
Depends how talented and intelligent you are.

In my opinion, playing an instrument is a very practical [intuitive] and not particularly complicated discipline and little can really be taught to an intelligent pupil, it's more a case of prompting. Taste is the most important factor and it is a subjective matter that likewise changes according to subjective choices.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Get a teacher. One who really challenges you. It will help you focus and get your mind off other stuff.

smile Jodi

there are tons of piano teachers out there. im sure at least one will enjoy your taste in the pieces. sometimes there are just certain things in pieces that only someone with more experience can point out.
make sure your teacher is flexible too. im entering my jr yr in high school and the workload's starting to get heavier...so i wouldnt want a teacher who's strict on timing and re-scheduling of lessons.

~it is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
unless you find a good teacher, you can just study on your own (with plenty technique books and resources around you could find). having a bad teacher is worse than having no teacher. i have a friend who told me a horror story about a teacher she had, who pretty much killed her desire for playing music.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Joseph: You might try calling one of your local universities to see if there are any younger instructors who might better relate to you and your needs. A good instructor can be immeasurable to your growth as a pianist and musician.
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Get a teacher. I like Jdsher's idea.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
Boy, I never knew 16 is considered an adult! eek

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Huh?

JosephS stated:
Okay. This is my little story. I'm not an adult, and I'm not considered a beginner (though I have lots to learn), but still...

I started piano lessons when I was eight. I'm now sixteen.
He said he was 16 and he's posting here in the Adult Beginner's Forum. It's fine by me if he posts here but all I was saying is he's not an adult!

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
deleted Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
what the...

anyhow, thanks all for the tips. I think I'm going to try out a teacher to see how I'll do. It'll be an interesting new chapter in my piano playing life.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission