Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1038030 - 12/20/08 12:37 PM New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
yoyofr Offline

Loc: Paris/France
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum : 31 year old french guy, working in Paris and learning piano since April (so it's about 9 months).

In order to improve faster I'm now trying to concentrate on a few number of pieces and post the result on youtube (I have the issue of starting a lot of pieces and never finish them...)

The first one is a simple piece from Joe Hisaishi from the movie Laputa : Castle in the sky.

Tell me what you think of it ;\)

Sheeta\'s decision http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAe7nXfQAcM&feature=channel_page

*EDIT*
Added another piece, this time from Nausicaa, still composed by the great Joe Hisaishi!

Kaze no densestsu (Legend of the Wind) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7C31OQWN3o
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1038031 - 12/20/08 12:59 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Only 9 months .... wow .... very nice yoyofr

#1038032 - 12/20/08 06:26 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
citznmag Offline

Loc: New York
Very moving.

#1038033 - 12/20/08 06:48 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Bravo!

Beatiful. Only nine months??? Are you taking lessons from a teacher or are you self-taught?

Encore!

#1038034 - 12/20/08 07:42 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Nice playing, YoYoFr! Keep up the good work!

Rick

#1038035 - 12/21/08 04:10 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
yoyofr Offline

Thanks for your feedback!
I started alone during a few weeks, working with things like Alfred adult all-in-one book, other books (in french) and lots of sheet music found on the internet like the one I play in the video.
Now I take lessons alternately with 2 teachers, one hour / week .
So one week is for classical and the other for pop/jazz.

Right now I'm working on different pieces from Joe Hisaishi, like "My neighboor Totoro", "Nausicaa from the Valley of the Wind", "Chihiro", ... Some are not really hard (easy arrangement) and still sound very nice.

And for the "serious" part, I spent weeks on the 1st movement of Beethoven Sonate Op 49#2 and now I'm moving on Chopin Prelude Op 28#15 (Raindrop).

Even if my current skills are not enough to play them "perfectly", these 2 pieces made me progress a lot!

I will try to post the pieces I studied with my teachers, it will be a good exercice!

#1038036 - 12/21/08 11:39 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
Very Very Very nice piece. I started playing piano in April too and im not nearly as good as you. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your future pieces on the forum.

KaylaX

#1038037 - 12/22/08 11:29 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
yoyofr Offline

KaylaX, what are you working on ?

If you like Hisaishi music, there's a lot of other pieces with easy arrangement, mainly from Ghibli movies : Mononoke, Nausicaa, Chihiro, Castle in the sky, ...

#1038038 - 12/22/08 01:06 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Bienvenue sur le forum, cousin.

You already have great musicality; like others, I look forward to hearing more from You; I hope You will enter our next recital on february 15th. Bravo !

Cheers

#1038039 - 12/22/08 05:49 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
yoyofr,

Im working on boring stuff compared to you. I work out of "Faber and Fabers all in one" with my teacher. I also have done some music out of Bastians level 1 classics. But its all so short and boring. I want to find something that is pretty, smooth, and inspiring. I like your piece, "Castle in the sky", I have downloaded it . I have saved it for later, I think im going to work on another piece that I found from the "Castle in the sky" movie. Im going to try "Shitsui no Pazu". That piece looks like fun. The beginning looks doable but I dont know about the left hand stuff towards the bottom of the first page. My teacher will have to give me pointers on that. We shall see. Wish me luck. I have allot of music that I have attempted then got frustrated and it sits in my "I wish" pile.

Anyway, Thanks again, KaylaX

#1038040 - 12/22/08 06:33 PM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
yoyofr Offline

I'm eager to hear the result! Shitsui no Pazu is a real nice piece too!

#1038041 - 12/23/08 03:53 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I wrote an arrangement of "Sampo" from Totoro and posted it on my website with a recording. I also had an orchestral+piano project on the Princess Mononoke "Ashitaka to San" theme that's on my youtube.

Just thought you might want to check that out for the Ghibli connection \:\)

#1038042 - 12/24/08 06:26 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
yoyofr Offline

Very nice arrangement Theowne! But it's a bit more difficult to play too... I'll give it a try next weeks when I'll be back home!

BTW, how do you work on new arrangement ? do you use a digital piano with software like garaband, finale ? I'm interested in experimenting a bit by myself but I don't know where to begin...

#1038043 - 12/29/08 05:31 AM Re: New adult beginner - first video posts - Joe Hisaishi
capetonian Offline

Loc: cape town
excellent yoyofr. i'm starting in jan DV with pianomagic. your accomplishment in 9 months is inspiring. thanks for the post

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, Akshay, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1694 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
56 minutes 29 seconds ago
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission