Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1038550 - 01/15/09 09:53 AM Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
JagNut Offline

Loc: Arlington Texas
I have been using a Miracle Piano System for self-teaching. I like it because it plays a metronome behind each piece (in correct time) and it grades me on pitch and rythm for every practice piece. It has many modes for each piece - demo, unpaced notes, paced notes, and allows LH, RH or both.

I have one problem. Often, when switching chords (e.g. CEG to CFA) I will allow a finger (in this case my pinky) to remain in light contact with a key (in this case C). However, the midi keyboard (velocity sensitive) requires a fairly light touch to sense a key depression. The program seems to expect me to fully release each key prior to playing the next note. The practice mode uses a paced pointer and does not move to the next note until I have fully played (i.e released) the previous note (causing errors to be recorded).

This problem would, of course, not occur on an accoustic (non-electronic) piano. So here is my question. Is it considered bad form (i.e. a "bad habit") to allow some fingers to to remain in light contact with one or more keys after playing them. It seems to me that maintaining light contact is a good idea as an aid to navigation.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1038551 - 01/15/09 11:39 AM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Hi Glen J,
I don't think that is considered bad form if you hand is just resting there and not producing sound. Otherwise where else would you put your hands?

I wonder if that is something you can contact the company about.
Mabye they need to make a revised version of their system.

Sounds like you are getting alot out of it though-that's great.

#1038552 - 01/15/09 12:54 PM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Most pianists do not consciously think about what the fingers they are not using at the moment are doing.

I know I don't...I concentrate on the notes/fingers I am playing, and let the other fingers "float", and trust my brain to move/relax them out of the way as necessary.

Think of your body as you move through, say, a crowded store, or some woods. When the space you have to move through is tight, you concentrate on those parts of your body that you have to move to avoid a collision. But the rest of your body is on automatic pilot, so to speak, and you do not have to consciously direct those parts to turn or whatever.

Letting your fingers float on the keys when not being used is like letting them be on automatic pilot...a natural and normal form at the piano. And, as you correctly state, your fingers floating on the keys gives your brain feedback that helps you to locate your hand position, something that people who do not look at the keyboard all the time as they play rely upon.

I would say that continuing your studies with that program that forces you to completely release a key before moving on is at some level teaching you a to play in a limited manner, and, as such, is teaching you a mistake.

Just my 2 cents.

#1038553 - 01/15/09 12:59 PM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
JagNut Offline

I think it is an excellent system that I bought about 15 years ago. Now I am back to having some fun with it. The company is now out of business although there is an excellent review and FAQ on the PEP forum. One thing I think I like best is that it forces me to play the notes exactly in time. The lessons are tedious and I am finding it better to just move through the (progressively more difficult) songs on my own. I think it is a little too heavy on LH chords/RH melody, but I am also working my way through Alfred's All-in-One - usually on my acoustic piano.

Maintaining touch with the keys helps me in moving from key to key, particularly when only a few fingers have to move. On the other hand, when I have to move my whole hand from one chord to another (e.g. CFA down to GDF, I have some difficulty without some touch to guide me, although I believe this will eventually work itself out.

#1038554 - 01/15/09 01:06 PM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
When playing, I do rest the fingers on the keys at times. But during "practice", most of the time, I lift the fingers clearly off the keys.

#1038555 - 01/15/09 02:40 PM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
One other difference with an acoustic: on a grand piano with double escapement, you can repeat a note without fully releasing the key. Just let the key return about halfway to re-arm the escapement and press again to get a second strike. This technique is deliberately taught and used for some playing situations; it is excellent for playing softly repeating notes or chords in legato passages where you may not want to rely completely on the pedal.
Estonia L168 #1718

#1038556 - 01/15/09 02:57 PM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
JagNut Offline

Thanks, Packa. But I think I am probably years away from trilling or using repetion function of the keys. And pedals? Did you say there are pedals? (Just kidding)

#1038557 - 01/17/09 08:32 AM Re: Resting Fingers Lightly on Keys
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
IMHO, leaving fingers close to the keys, or resting fingers or even hands on keys (assuming a weighted keyboard) is important for relaxation).

However, purposely retaining your fingers on notes previously played is a recipe for pain and tension. For beginners (hey I went through it too), there's a tendency to keep the fingers in the shape of what's been played. But you're doing something like an arpeggio or a major seventh chord, then your hands remain outstretched and that's very tense. It actually prevents you from playing technically better.

So my advice is, touching non-playing keys is fine, but after the note has been played, let the reponsible finger return to it's natural shape and have it land where it may or lift it naturally if rotation of the hand is necessary. In other words, just relax it.

Navigating through the keyboard will come naturally over time without relying on your hand retaining a specific position.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
103 registered (angga888, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, ando, 31 invisible), 1306 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294606 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission