Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1038825 - 09/24/06 06:03 PM Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
zach_1288 Offline

I know nothing about music or pianos/keyboards. I did get a keyboard and i want to start to play. The keyboard is a cheap Casio CTK-560L. Where should i start? Im not a big classical music fan so im not sure if thats a problem? I normally like to listen to all kings of rock. I know that alot of the stuff i listen to does have piano/keyboards in it like Nine Inch Nails. So could you just point me in the right direction, like what DVD or book to buy, what to learn first.

Thanks,
Zach

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1038826 - 09/24/06 06:46 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Zach, i have no idea where you should start, as i am going through a lesson book. with playing nine inch nails thats a whole nother story. first you could learn how to read music, then you will have to learn chords and chord structure. i would suggest you do a forum search or maybe try the pianist forum nonclassical for this style. or wait for someone to step in to give you some good advice. me i dont know nothing:) welcome to the forums and have fun:)

#1038827 - 09/24/06 08:08 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
Mountain Ash Offline

Loc: Canberra, Australia
I've been in a similar position to you, Zach. I bought a cheapish keyboard about a year ago.

To start with I just wanted to learn to play pop and rock songs and sing (well, I wouldn't really call it singing...) so I got some books out of the library on chord structure and searched the internet. It's pretty easy to learn how to bang out some chords on a piano once you get the hang of it.

Alternatively you can play chords with the left hand and play the melody with the right hand... you might want to look at something like "the complete keyboard player, book 1" which will teach you to do just that and comes with a CD as well. All the songs are pop, but it will teach you that style of playing.

Have a look on amazon.com for those types of books and read the customer reviews.

#1038828 - 09/24/06 08:33 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i agree that you need to get a method/instruction book to start with. such a book could be a 'teach yourself' sort of thing or part of a series of instruction books. but be sure to get a book with some visual/graphic/photo demonstrations in it so that you know where to put your hand/fingers etc. otherwise, find some online teaching piano videos (youtube.com has some if you search by 'piano learning or teaching') to get some basic ideas of how to play.

i wouldn't worry about chord things yet if i were you, because you need some basic skills to build on. so, follow the method book and finish it first before trying anything else.

#1038829 - 09/24/06 08:34 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by zach_1288:
Im not a big classical music fan so im not sure if thats a problem? [/b]
It's not a problem at all. I'm a huge believer in the "life too's short; only play the music you enjoy" philosophy of learning piano. Can you afford lessons? That would be my recommendation; just make sure to talk with prospective teachers and tell them what kind of music you want to learn how to play and make sure they're comfortable with it.

If you don't want lessons, then I'd suggest working with one of the methods book like funburger is using, and supplement it with pop/rock sheet music collections. There are a gazillion books. Hal Leonard publishes a lot of good ones, and I like the Dan Coates arrangements. Look for collections labelled "Easy Piano" or "Beginning Piano" to start with.

And don't be afraid to ask questions here. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

#1038830 - 09/24/06 09:40 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
what...why would anyone use 9 inch nails ? and how does a piano get into that ? \:\)
No you must play classical....other stuff is very very bad....you are feeling sleepy...very sleepy...classical music only...so good...must play classical music...

Peter \:\)

#1038831 - 09/24/06 10:12 PM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
zach_1288 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Ash:
I've been in a similar position to you, Zach. I bought a cheapish keyboard about a year ago.

To start with I just wanted to learn to play pop and rock songs and sing (well, I wouldn't really call it singing...) so I got some books out of the library on chord structure and searched the internet. It's pretty easy to learn how to bang out some chords on a piano once you get the hang of it.

Alternatively you can play chords with the left hand and play the melody with the right hand... you might want to look at something like "the complete keyboard player, book 1" which will teach you to do just that and comes with a CD as well. All the songs are pop, but it will teach you that style of playing.

Have a look on amazon.com for those types of books and read the customer reviews.
[/b]
When you talk about using your left and right hand to play different things, I dont think i can do that. My hands only want to do the same thing(both hands) You know what i mean?

I just bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Keybo...ie=UTF8&s=books

#1038832 - 09/25/06 07:45 AM Re: Im New to Piano's, Help Me Start
CindyB - Musicmaker Offline

Loc: south central IL
Check out www.SimplyMusic.com and spend the $$ on the learn at home video series, level 1 at least. It will get your hands moving independently and you'll develop a repertoire of blues, classical and contemporary pieces that sound great and develop your ability to play. And the Accompaniment supplement will teach you how to play chords with sheet music that has chord symbols. From there you can make a more educated decision on the direction you want to go.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, Almaviva, angga888, 36 invisible), 1439 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission