Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1038892 - 12/11/08 11:17 PM The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm about to go bonkers - some kind of music gremlin messes up Gliere's Romance when my teacher opens "Classics to Moderns" and it's time to play with pedal.

Now - I've been working on this piece for it seems forever (only about month) and that old I play it better at home happens and it really makes me upset which of course makes matters worse. My teacher always says keep going.

I have parts of it memorized and parts that I need to look at the music - I shouldn't be having this kind of trouble but this is something I think most us seem to have to deal with. Thanks for reading this post - this Tuesday will be the last time and than we will go on to a new piece when she comes back after Christmas break. I'd really like to ace it.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1038893 - 12/11/08 11:22 PM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I'd memorize the whole thing. 'Course that's easy for me to say since I memorize quickly. \:D

You either need to play the whole thing with the score in front of you or play it entirely from memory. Trying to do both will cause problems.

Maintain a positive attitude as well. Don't get upset.

And most importantly, zero in on trouble spots. Play each about 5 times in a row, paying attention to getting it right. \:\)

#1038894 - 12/12/08 09:11 AM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
Those Darn Gremlins.

They live at my house too. They almost never show themselves when I am alone and playing for my own enjoyment.

They are so cunning, always waiting, they choose their own sweet time....cowering in the darkness, waiting patiently for someone else to hear.

COWARDS!

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

#1038895 - 12/12/08 10:36 AM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ivory Dreams:
Those Darn Gremlins.

They live at my house too. They almost never show themselves when I am alone and playing for my own enjoyment.

They are so cunning, always waiting, they choose their own sweet time....cowering in the darkness, waiting patiently for someone else to hear.

COWARDS! [/b]
Too funny... I had exactly the same thought.

Although, thinking about it, errors when we are practicing alone tend to "roll off" and we seem to expect them when practicing, so no big deal. We keep going, or practice the rough spot, and move on. But, when actually trying to play perfect (whatever that is) we get so upset with any error that we panic, freeze, stop, cry, yell, scream, bang, hit, push, throw, etc. Everything except relax and continue on with the work at hand.

Musdan, I suggest you take a deep breath and slow down, and just play it from your soul. I know I panic a little when a part is coming up that I need to see the music, so I tense up as it comes up, start thinking about it, find my spot, etc, and blow the part I know by heart.

Oh, yea, laugh at yourself when it happens. Tell your subconscious it's no big deal, and it won't be.

All this advice from someone who crashes if anyone walks by the house.....

#1038896 - 12/12/08 10:50 AM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
natedaddy Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I had an idea yesterday when I was listening to sports commentators talk about basketball free-throws: Try getting your adrenaline up before you practice. Run around and do some jumping jacks. Watch a LiveLeak video of a crash. Or a battle scene from a movie, or something explosive or sexy or otherwise prone to pumping your body full of adrenaline. (Maybe even watch it while you practice?) This will simulate the biological effects your body has when you perform, and help you acclimate to those chemicals when you're practicing, so you are accustomed to keeping your focus, and it's no big deal when it's time to perform.

Note: This is probably bad advice -- it's pretty much the opposite of the generally accepted practice: a cleansing, zenlike routine that allows you to find focus in any situation. Maybe I've been watching too many James Bond movies. ;-)

#1038897 - 12/15/08 11:30 AM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
JoseHeno Offline

Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico
The general idea of the past few replies fits in with some stuff I've been noticing about my own playing: contrary to popular belief, getting the notes right is *not* an intellectual skill. Of course you need to know the music to play but it, the way to make your playing more flawless is not necessarily to focus more intensely.

I've been noticing lately that the more I get into the musicality of it all, paying attention to the sensuousness of the piece, even kind of dancing along with it (bobbing my head, moving at the hips), the better I do. Putting the brain in the passenger seat and giving your emotions room to come out and take over always moves your playing in the direction of perfection. You need the brain to learn the music, but it does not have the final word.

This applies to etudes, scales, everything. Not just larger pieces.

A way to visualize it would be: the gremlins are your own little hesitations, frustrations and doubts about your own playing. If you let yourself be filled with the music, there's no room for them to hang around anymore.

#1038898 - 12/15/08 11:41 AM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
Hey that's a new one I'll have to try on my teacher - I am POSSESSED BY DEMONS

So far I've tried: "you piano is so out of tune it throws me off"; "these keys are so slippery no wonder I'm making mistakes"; "the acoustics in this room are terrible" - he never falls for any of them

#1038899 - 12/15/08 03:12 PM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
You, missed this one.... My ring is turning on my finger.

(Stop playing and remove it.)

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

#1038900 - 12/15/08 03:57 PM Re: The music gremlins make me play the wrong notes
carolyn227 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
I'd memorize the whole thing. 'Course that's easy for me to say since I memorize quickly. \:D

You either need to play the whole thing with the score in front of you or play it entirely from memory. Trying to do both will cause problems.

Maintain a positive attitude as well. Don't get upset.

And most importantly, zero in on trouble spots. Play each about 5 times in a row, paying attention to getting it right. \:\) [/b]
I keep a little saucer of beans on my piano to work on trouble spots. I have ten "counting beans" as Twinkletoes likes to call them, and I shift them from the middle of the saucer to the outside edge every time I play it perfectly. Helps me keep track of how many times I've played it (I've also used a two bowl system, but the saucer seems to be quicker for me). When I really get serious about a piece, I usually make myself start over from zero when I make a mistake \:\) It seems to work really well for me, and it helps me memorize it.

Good luck!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, 23 invisible), 1296 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156177 Topics
2293499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
34 minutes 34 seconds ago
Broadway medley
by cheni
Today at 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
Today at 12:52 AM
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
Today at 12:45 AM
Summer Camp
by myip
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission