Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, AndyJoe, Anne'sson, aceydawg, acollins, ando, 41 invisible), 1589 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1038903 - 07/27/04 10:30 AM An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
Dapper50 Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD
I've just started reading this forum. Most excellent! I had lessons from about the ages of 7 through 13, then again in college. Most of my formal training was classically oriented. The major frustration I face in my playing is that my hands appear to belong to two different people. My left hand can play virtually anything written, and my right perhaps only up to an intermediate level (yes, I am left handed). Do others of you feel the same way? What do you do about it? Do you select pieces that favor your stronger hand, practice using your weaker hand far more than your stronger one? Other approaches?

Any and all comments/ideas/suggestions will be appreciated!

Dave

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1038904 - 07/27/04 11:41 AM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
I think you've summed up what most people would describe as the most common problem with learning piano. Different hands doing different things. I believe us right handers probably have a bit of an advantage in controlling the melody line with their dominant hand. My hands act like: right hand late beginner and left hand early beginner who sucks.
Jon

#1038905 - 07/27/04 01:32 PM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
RIGHT HAND = bright underachiever child who consistently underperforms

LEFT HAND = clumsy child you wouldn't want to ask to do too much because someone might get hurt

Hang in there, Southpaw Dave! ;\)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1038906 - 07/27/04 08:13 PM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dapper50, although I am right-handed, I have talked about this with my teacher. She says that her left-handed students usually play very well with their right hands as well, since most pieces are right-hand dominant and southpaws have to go through life coping with many right-handed only objects/tools etc. She believes left-handed people are forced to learn to use their right hands far more than right-handed people would use their left hands.

I am right-handed and until 2 years ago, I did not practise my left hand specifically, which resulted in a great imbalance in abilities. I started practising my left hand using Czerny exercises for the left-hand and tried to use my left hand as much as possiblei n every day life (e.g. eating, using the computer mouse). After 2 years, my left hand has improved tremendously and I know I still have some way to go. However, I doubt I would ever achieve the same degree of dexterity with my left as my right.

In your case, concentrating on exercises for your right hand would help quite a bit, but patience (a few years at least) is required. You may also try doing more everyday things with your right hand.

#1038907 - 07/27/04 09:13 PM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
fiddler Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've played violin and viola most of my life, and am right-handed. I remember struggling with learning to make the left hand do all the intricate fingering, and for perhaps the first year or two was able to finger equally well with either hand. Finally realized I was making progress when I tried playing with the hands reversed, and the right hand could no longer do as well as the left.

When I decided to try to play the piano, in my 40's, I wondered if the left hand would do better, as it has had to do string fingering all these years. Of course everything took getting used to, but not as much carried over physically from string playing to piano as I'd hoped (of course being able to read music, work out complicated rhythms, ensemble playing, etc., worked fine).

All this is leading up to the observation that my right hand is stronger and more dexterous on the piano than the left (maybe a third again as good), despite nearly a lifetime of left-hand fingering of stringed instruments.

fiddler

#1038908 - 07/27/04 09:43 PM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I have a question for fiddler.

Do you have a problem switching between violin and viola, given that the spacing between your fingers must surely change to get the same notes on both instruments? Do you ever get confused betweeen the 2? I ask because after a lifetime on the piano, I would like to learn the cello, then maybe also the violin.

#1038909 - 07/28/04 12:31 AM Re: An advanced left hand and an intermediate right hand
fiddler Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Roxane,

Should we move this discussion elsewhere? Sorry, everyone.

Luckily I almost never have a problem switching -- I have performed in a trio with piano and clarinet, and switched from viola to violin during the performance (between pieces). My left hand gets somewhat more tired if I switch several times in an evening, but I think the difference in size between my instruments (violin: 14" body, viola: 16-1/2") helps to cue me and so lessens confusion.

Individuals vary in how easy they find it to switch.

You are absolutely right that the spacing changes.

It might be slightly easier to start on cello (as an adult) than on violin or viola because the positions in which you hold your arms may seem less extreme. There are major differences in fingering, how you hold your left hand and arm, and in bow grip between cello and violin. As you are physically working from opposite ends on the two instruments, the highest string is on your left on cello and on your right on violin.

If you do decide to learn cello and/or violin, find a good teacher. I can't imagine effectively learning either one on your own. Good luck with that.

To return to thinking about piano, I still have difficulty processing both staffs at one time. I'm so used to reading a single note on a single staff on a stringed instrument, it's difficult to take in two.

Imagining an organist with at least 3 staffs or a pianist who can play a very difficult part and still keep track of what other members of a piano quintet are supposed to be doing (their parts are usually printed in small staffs above the piano part) fills me with amazement -- more so now that I've tried playing piano.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Thanksgiving
by JoelW
11/27/14 01:12 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
11/27/14 12:29 PM
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
11/27/14 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
11/27/14 09:44 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159398 Topics
2341515 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission