Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1039364 - 09/12/07 01:08 AM Loud Left Hand problem
kinghippo423 Offline

Hello everyone,

I've been improving quite a lot in the last 3 moths to my great relief. My problem now is not to play the notes right or following steady pace but to have a less barbaric left hand.

I can't lower the "volume" of my left hand during the parts where melody needs to be the main attraction.

I can't have a quiet left hands when the melody is quiet and warm. I feel that I have a barbaric left hand I can't work this out.

Am I alone here? What I should do to resolve that little problem. I put more time on my dynamics and I just realise that I have this problem that I can't make go away. I'm confused and frustrated.

By the way, why I'm playing louder overall when I play fast and quieter when I play slow? Is it only experience that might solve this behavior?

Thanks in advance.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1039365 - 09/12/07 01:46 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Just give yourself time. The more you play the more control you will eventually have over dynamics (it'll come to you without even bothering to work on it if you keep at the piano long enough).

I think it's all a piece with general hands independence.

#1039366 - 09/12/07 01:56 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
kinghippo, I could've written your exact same post! Especially the part about playing louder when going faster. I'm working an Einaudi piece (Devinire) that is nothing but 16th notes played at, oh, about a MM=one million, or so it seems, and I simply *cannot* play that piece softly. Right now I'm just concentrating on getting the notes right and getting up to tempo, but I know that the step after that will be to work on relaxing my hands so that I can play without pounding the keyboard.

I personally believe that playing completely relaxed is the key to playing softly, but I'll be interested to hear what magic cures the others have to suggest.

#1039367 - 09/12/07 02:10 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
I agree with Van, to a point.

I still experience the same issues as Monica (BTW, when did you change your name???).

What I do is when practicing HT scales, focus on your WEAK hand (in my case the right hand) by changing between FFF/PPP while keeping my left hand steady and even. It seems to help, except when learning new stuff when I tense up and just lose any control I think I have.

Again, it boils down to practice practice practice.

#1039368 - 09/12/07 02:31 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I tend to be both louder and faster with whichever hand and in whichever passages I'm most unsure of - the frantic factor \:D (Fortunately for me the left hand in dance accompaniment *is* the important one!) So, as has been said, the more you become familiar with it in your left hand the more you'll be able to be light and sure. I was going to suggest playing it *much* louder, so that you have some feeling of variation, but in fact gmm1's idea is probably better - play easier things, or things you are more sure of, and try to vary the volume in the left hand alone. That way you're not trying to get the notes right and in tempo all at the same time as the volume. It really will come, and practicing on other things will eventually transfer to some extent to this piece. You could also try playing the left hand in chords instead of whatever's written and vary the volume on it, so that, again, you've got fewer things to think about all at once, and you can also maybe get your ear to get used to a softer volume on a particular piece you're working on.

But "barbaric"? Nah - some people *never* have a left hand you can hear, and half the music's gone - left hands forever! \:\)

Cathy

#1039369 - 09/12/07 03:08 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
bkkmd Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I don't have much to add beyond what others have already said. The control will be there eventually when you are comfortable with the piece. Just consciously trying to tell yourself to play it softly. If the piece is still quite difficult for you and you have to spend most of your energy concentrating on getting the right note and rhythm, you may not have much chance of controlling your left hand the way you like either. Try an easier piece and see if you can get your left hand under better control. If nothing else, it is good for the moral to tell yourself that your left hand is not barbaric, just need a bit more practice \:\)

#1039370 - 09/12/07 05:11 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
PianoN00b Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Use the left pedal.

Started Piano 7-2007.

By the way, call me Yang. \:\)

#1039371 - 09/12/07 07:29 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
 Quote:
Just consciously trying to tell yourself to play it softly
That's not as good as hearing the correct balance in your head. The real problem is your conception of the piece has left out the proper balance. i.e. you don't really 'know' the piece. Only AFTER you know it can you play what you know.

The only method I'm sure works is to grossly exaggerate both hands - left ppp (or even silent) right ff. This is quite easy to do and trains the mind to 'hear' a balance. Initially, I have students pound the top of the piano with their right while playing anything pp in the left.

#1039372 - 09/12/07 02:13 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
HouseHead78 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I have the same issue but it's getting much better. Like Monica it gets worse when the left hand is playing fast but softly. A good piece to work on this is Chopin Prelude in E-Minor, where the left hand just has to be soft for it to work. The second movement of Mozart's K545 is a good one too - working on it now.

#1039373 - 09/12/07 02:57 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's normal at the beginning, because most people are right-handed and therefore have less control over LH than RH.

so, it's all about control over what seems uncontrollable. my LH is weaker and sloppier than RH when playing, and my teacher suggested that i practice LH alone on touch and clarity. so, my advice is to do the same: working on LH only and trying different touch (light/heavy) over some passage until you get the control over any degree of touch you want. after that, try to use different touch over LH & RH (such as LH soft & RH loud and vice versa). once you have gained such control, you'd feel more comfortable with your LH.

#1039374 - 09/12/07 04:17 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
This is something that everyone struggles with when they are starting out on the piano. Be assured that it does gets easier with time. I do have one tip that helped me which I don't think has been mentioned yet. Once you are completely comfortable with all of the notes, instead of focusing on making your left hand softer while you are playing, concentrate on bringing out the melody with your right hand. I found that concentrating on one hand tended to make it louder and ignoring it made it softer regardless of my intention.

Ted

#1039375 - 09/12/07 04:31 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
keyboardklutz Offline

Ted's right, you really have to ignore you have a left hand and put 100% concentration on 'singing out' to the tune.

And when you do hear it you will go wow!

#1039376 - 09/12/07 08:43 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
brian13 Offline

Loc: California
this is a common problem amongst all beginners, even intermediates and still some advanced pupils can struggle with.
i struggle with this all the time, but not as much as i did when i first started.

my left hand is very powerful and it overpowers the right hand melody and the too-loud accompaniment mires the melody from singing out.

so all you do is practice and practice.

today, i still have the problem , but it is not that bad anymore.

try Chopin's Andante Spianato. a perfect example where the right hand MUST sing out way above the calm accompaniment of the left hand, but when you first start out practicing this, it is so HARD to separate the two, and many times the left hand is overpowering especially in a delicate melody like this one.

#1039377 - 09/12/07 08:53 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
keyboardklutz Offline

Brian, a really powerful left hand should make it EASIER to play quietly. Use your ears.

#1039378 - 09/12/07 09:18 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
brian13 Offline

Loc: California
then what i should have said was my left hand is less controllable.

#1039379 - 09/12/07 09:27 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
Tony V Offline

I also had this problem. What I like to do is take simple pieces and play them slowly.

As an addition, I try to play the piece by trying to focus on playing PP on the left hand, but MF on the right hand.

When that is done, I try to adjust bit by bit to make the volumes less exaggerated, by playing P on the left hand and F on the right hand.

I would keep on making these adjustments until my hands are playing at the correct volumes for the piece.

#1039380 - 09/12/07 11:36 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
jozart Offline

Loc: Michigan
Same problem at my last lesson..teacher told me to practice lt hand but do not press the keys..phantom play she called it..then slowly press the keys.....so there's just slight tone...it's working for me..
Jozart

#1039381 - 09/13/07 04:32 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
DDS24P&FOP87 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jozart:
Same problem at my last lesson..teacher told me to practice lt hand but do not press the keys..phantom play she called it..then slowly press the keys.....so there's just slight tone...it's working for me..
Jozart [/b]
kinghippo423 -

In addition to jozart's solution quoted above, you might want to try the following which I know sounds silly. Before practicing your piece, try simultaneously tapping your head with one hand and rubbing your tummy in a circular motion with the other for a minute. This will help you control and adjust your volume for either hand.

My instructor told me to do this when I was learning my first Scriabin piece, Prelude Op. 11, No. 15, and I was amazed how fast this worked!

BTW, someone has a decent performance of the Scriabin piece I mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFYHBqyG6XM
Or as if flowers were having their say.

- Anna Akhmatova, "Music"(Dedicated to Dmitri Shostakovich)

#1039382 - 09/13/07 05:29 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
I will try that. I'd love to see it done on stage before a performance \:\) I love the Scriabin op 11 preludes... My favourite is 21, it's amazing what it projects with so few notes... Actually I love all Scriabin...

#1039383 - 06/10/08 07:11 PM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
paperkite Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jozart:
Jozart [/b]
I've been struggling to play the left hand softer than the right, also. If I get the left hand soft, the right goes soft too. If I try to make the right hand get louder, the left hand gets loud too (especially on notes that begin at the same time). Just this morning, I sat at the piano before work and tried it again after a good night's rest. Nothing was different -same problem. So, when I read this idea of "phantom playing" I decided to try it even though I thought it would be a long shot.

It worked like a dream! It was like *magic* ! I played the song a few times without phantom playing -same old trouble, despite my best efforts. I phantom played it once and then tried it again. Presto! My left hand was playing so soft that I even had to turn it up a bit!

After only about 3 more rounds of Phantom Play, Real Play, I had it down! Now, when I concentrate on the right (as was suggested here, also), the left goes soft as it should. \:\) Hats off to your piano teacher and thanks for the tip!

#1039384 - 06/11/08 02:00 AM Re: Loud Left Hand problem
keyboardklutz Offline

It's worth remembering the real difference between forte and piano is key velocity. Whether in different hands or the same hand play the softer tones a tiny bit later. You're right about 'phantom playing', it's a jewel.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ajames, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1529 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157235 Topics
2309380 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
31 minutes 10 seconds ago
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
Today at 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
Today at 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
Today at 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
Today at 04:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission