2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
is there just one specific composer we must stick to or are we able to broaden the net?

Zac

"I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies" - Artur Schnabel

[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by zp3929:
is there just one specific composer we must stick to or are we able to broaden the net?

Zac
Zac, the reason and the purpose of the event are to celebrate and commemorate Chopin. I'm not sure it would be appropriate to include compositions by anybody else, even though there are other interesting nocturnes out there to be sure. (Do you remember the thread earlier this year called "Favorite nocturnes not by Chopin"?)

Steven

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
thanks for clearing that up steven, i haven't been to the ABF for a while and have missed much

Zac

"I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies" - Artur Schnabel

[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
No worries! When I read your inquiry, I realized that someone who saw this thread title but didn't know that it comes right on the heels of a Chopin etudes event (which reached fruition today) wouldn't automatically know that it concerned Chopin at all.

Steven

YD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I actually floated an idea of "concert etudes" recital several times. This would not be limited to Chopin; I suggested including Liszt, Scriabin, Rachmaninov, etc. - anybody who wrote concert etudes (e.g. not Czerny). The purpose would be to have a goal toward which we would work and in the process gain valuable skills.

Here I am floating the idea again. Concert etudes anybody? I would play something by Scriabin - I think he is undeservedly under-appreciated here...

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
that sounds like a great idea, i'm working on some bortkiewicz etudes that would work perfectly

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'd love to hear a concert etudes recital but why don't you do it on Pianist Corner and invite us lot over there?

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
ask and you shall recieve smile
all come over and join in on the thread, we're all new to this over there
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/19241.html

Zac

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Zac: there are quarterly ABF recitals (next in November this year) with no restrictions in its contents whatsoever. Feel invited to participate there too! The title of this particular thread could be mislading at first, I agree. Now it's certainly not smile Thanks for bringing it up.

YD: Under-appreciated, but incredibly beautiful and quite manageable at our skill level - I agree. I love Scriabin. I don't feel I am able to do any of Concert Etudes yet, so I'll pass. I would love to listen to them however!

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
Originally posted by Chardonnay:
I will most certainly take you up on that! smile
For starters, I am struggling with that 48 note measure near the end.. how to make it fast AND even- mad
Hey Chardonnay!

That measure is what gives this Nocturne its touch of flurry and grace. The best way I've found to practice it is definitely slowly, on the beat, and without the left hand. Don't try to combine the LH until you have it committed to memory and can play it almost blind folded.

The goal, I believe, is to play it at tempo without disturbances aside from taking a tiny breath at the top of the run, such that the LH continues its stroll uninterrupted.

Love that Nocturne. It is definitely one of the most beautiful.
Cheers.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd like to play 27/1.

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
I talked to my teacher this evening about this recital, and we decided I should give it a shot. (I regretted not participating in the Prelude recital.) Are there any thoughts on when this recital will be. If it's in the fairly distant future, I'd like to sign up for 15/2.

Ted

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
It will go live on Oct. 17, 2009, Chopin's Death Day. I'll put you down for 15/2.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Can we still sign up for this? if so, I would really be interested.

To be honest, I haven't played in public much. My one recital did not go too well (I posted about that a while ago). So I really would love getting some practice preparing something that could be played for others.

Also, if I CAN sign up, does anyone have any suggestions for me? I play around a mid-intermediate, with late-intermediate stretches (so if I work REALLY hard...) But yes, any suggestions?

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
pianoluvr,

You are welcome to join. If Frycek's list (the first post of this thread) is still up to date, 13 nocturnes have already been chosen out of a total of 21.

There's a lot of variety in the remaining eight in terms of difficulty and otherwise. I recommend you choose one you love and that you think will be manageable for you to learn.

FYI, the unassigned ones at this point are 9/3, 15/1, 15/3, 32/1, 32/2, 48/2, 62/1 and Op. Posth. in c-sharp minor.

It's hard to order them precisely by general difficulty, but 9/3 is the longest, 15/3 considered the "easiest" (relatively!), and the posthumous one in c-sharp minor is newly familiar because of the film The Pianist.

If you don't have scores or recordings at your disposal, they are freely available at IMSLP and YouTube, respectively.

Steven

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'm not participating as of now (thinking about it), but here is the link to IMSLP's list of Chopin's works.

http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Frederic_Chopin

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Ooh...I love imslp now. Thanks for the link!

I'll give the C sharp minor a try, although I think someone might have to "back me up" on it, because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it ready until then. Would that be possible?

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pianoluvr:
Ooh...I love imslp now. Thanks for the link!

I'll give the C sharp minor a try, although I think someone might have to "back me up" on it, because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it ready until then. Would that be possible?
I'll put you down for it. No real need to back you up since we're not necessarily trying for the whole set. We just don't want any duplications.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll try 48/2. I had half-learned it a few years ago, but got stuck. It deserves more of an effort from me.

I'd really, really better learn to use the recording software well and cut and paste takes by that time....

Elene

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Elene, I put you down for 48/2.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission