2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
B
Just a few comments for you "Mary" posters ...

YeCats - Good variety both melodically and harmonically!

DeepElm - Lots of passion - I really like that! Nice arps too! laugh

Matt - Very nice Matt - did I hear some tritone subs in there? Good melodic 'meandering' and some really nice phrasing! smile

Seaside - you old smoothy! Where's my Pina Colada? Nice change of registers. I knew you would figure a way to slip in a half-dozen 1-6-2-5-1's!! eek

Balladeer

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tritone subs, eh? Just because I know what they are doesn't mean I can actually use them. laugh The only funky chord I used was C#dim.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Holy Mackerel Troy!!!!

You new guys never cease to amaze me...thats miles better than I could have ever done

originally posted by Troy:

With regards to your comment:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are at the true beginner level, and you think joining one of these courses, like PM, will allow you, after a few months, to be able to sit down right away and play a tune you heard on the radio by ear with a nice full left hand and even a partially full right hand (as opposed to single notes) you are fooling yourself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you'd be surprised.
Nothing like the proof of the pudding... thumb

originally posted by Gabytu:

began to mull over in my mind different versions of Mary had--a you know what.--playing it with an alberti bass, thirds, 6ths, octaves, etc. What fun.
Just wait until you realize what you can do with "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" not to mention a "Tisket A Tasket" smokin

{{Pssst...what you can do with these tunes you can do with more grown up songs wink }}

And I want to hear your version too smile

Balladeer: You freak me out you really do..you must be an inspiration for the over 50's and SAGA (LOL)...seriously though you're such a dude

Lee smile

Has anyone noticed how all the pianomagic players sound exactly the same?
...erm...NOT!!! ha

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Bruceee

I have been working a little improv into "Mary had a little @#$!!" for one of the members over at pianomagic....I still haven't left it alone yet (its too much fun laugh )

Here's a newer different version where I try to echo the words "as white as snow" in the improv:-

Mary Had A Little Lamb - Take 2

with some different chords thrown in for good measure

Let me know what you think?

Lee smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey if Seaside can do two, then I can too! smile

Mary in a lonely bar on saturday night:

http://www.box.net/shared/4e1ifebott

N
N
Hi Folks,

This is my first time here. Seaside Lee told me to bring my little lamb along! wink

I've been with Piano Magic for almost 4 months now. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Here's my version:

http://www.box.net/shared/uhpdsvpgy1

Nell. smile

Matt,

I really liked that one!!!
I don't know about you, but I think these are all starting to sound the same wink laugh
Did you play that one in a different key?

Nell,
Very nice! You definitely got game.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Troy: Thanks! smile It starts out in C, then goes to Eb, then back to C.

N
N
Originally posted by troy1troy:
You definitely got game.
Sorry, Troy, but I haven't a clue what that means!! confused

Can you translate?!

Nell. smile

Hi Folks,

I'm kind of new here, but was invited by Seaside Lee to off up what you could do with "Mary Had A Little Lamb."

This certainly is not a difficult song, as Sandy has mentioned, but many folks would not consider it a "fun" song to play.

You see... Seaside and I both think somewhat alike when it comes to music, as I too play by ear, cannot read a note of music, and have been a member of PianoMagic for about four years now.

Seaside has had some of our pianomaniacs over there posting renditions of Mary's Little Lamb... And, they all are very well done and spontaneous examples of following your heart, how music thinks, and just having plain FUN with a simple tune.

I sat down, pushed the record button, and played this song in one try... It's by no means perfect. In fact, it's got several flaws which may be apparent to the expert, but to the untrained ear, those flaws may sound intentional.

Actually, the only one who will ever really know that for sure is me... it may have been intentional anyway.

http://www.box.net/shared/73ne8cb2l2

OK Lee... you have got me to jump in here. It seems like a great group of folks... Ya know, some of names here look VERY familiar. Looks like you've brought the whole "flock" over. Hope it's not gonna be too contagious, as I could get hooked.

Mary had a little lamb... a little pork, and a can of Spam. Boy, could that gal eat!

Regards,
SB

Hi Nell,

It's a bit of outdated slang from the sports world. When someone plays their sport well, people say, "He/She's got game".

So, you're sport being piano, I said, "You got game"!

In normal english, "You play well".

Hi!
Someone said that whatever you can do with these simple tunes you can do with more complex tunes. So, I wonder if anyone can record a song (doesnt matter which one) of Queen, because I really love Queen and i really love listening to you (pianomagic players)
However, I know that Queen songs arent really easy so no problem if you cant - but if you can it would be really very cool to hear.

ex - pian00b
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ask and ye shall be served. smile Here is my favorite queen song. I have never played it before until a half hour ago. It's only the verse and none of that fancy piano stuff. It wasn't too hard to figure out, except that there's a key change from C to F halfway during the verse which threw me for a loop at first.

http://www.box.net/shared/fnsgv36fem

Wonderful mahlzeit!
But I found one mistake! Its too short!! smile
And it really is a beautiful song!

OK, now, all the pianomagic players: Whenever you record a pop/rock song (or even heavy metal - now, how would Iron Maiden sound on a piano?? smile ) you MUST post it here!!!
thats an order!! smile

Hopefully I join you after the matura exams.

P.S. mahlzeit, when you will have time, you still owe me November rain! laugh

ex - pian00b
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I know it's too short. I will have to figure out the rest when I have more time. In any case, I've added it to my list. Thanks for requesting a Queen song, because that's what made me think of it. smile

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lovely, mahlzeit! I agree, it's too short.

[Linked Image]
N
N
Nice work, Matthijs!

Troy....thanks for explaining the cryptic sports jargon. I think you got game, too! laugh

Nell. smile

I'm very impressed by everyone's music posted here. In a previous life. I tried to play popular music but it was a huge effort and never sounded like this. Currently I'm into classical -- much easier -- all the notes are written down, and I just have play them one after another wink

I expect to get seriously back into popular music one day. You guys are a great advertisement for Piano Magic, and I will be very tempted to take that path.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Brucee smile

I posted your challenge...
Here's a challenge you Piano Magic players -- what can you do with that theme? If it was good enough for Mozart to do variations on "Twinkle Twinkle" .....
over at "pianomagic" (to see what the guys and gals could come up with) and here is a recording from one "young lady" that isn't a member on here.

I wrote her and asked if she would mind if I posted her recording in this thread and this was her response to me

"I turned 74 on January 25th, and feel like 50. I see my Doctor twice a year, whether I need to or not.

Life has been good to me, and I thoroughly Enjoy it all. I know playing the piano and my Crafts "keeps me young", along with my Wonderful friends in Piano Magic.

You, my friend, have been a Blessing in Disguise by keeping me Motivated right along with you.

These past 3 1/2 years have been so wonderful and enjoyable, that I, sometimes, wonder "what have I done to 'deserve' this much Fun in my life?" It has really been an Adventure, hasn't it?"

her screen name at pianomagic is "honeycomb" and she is an inspiration to me every day because I have often thought to myself "if honeycomb can start in her 70's have so much fun and be able to do it then I sure as heck can do it too!! thumb "

Personally, I think she should be an inspiration to all the people who post on here saying "is it too late for me to learn to play a piano?" (whether they are a 20 something? or in their 70's!! eek )

So without further ado

Here, we have "Honeycombs" version (fuelled by "Grannie Power!!!" TM ha ) :-

http://www.box.net/shared/ur1xjaeg5v

take a listen

Lee laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lee...thanks for sharing that and tell "Honeycombs" thanks too!! I was smiling as I was listening laugh

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission