2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
B
Gabytu,

I bought the book "How to play piano despite years of lessons" too. I actually bought it before I bought a piano. I have not really started it yet. Which parts do you like best?

Wade
Matt H -- did your daughter play it (Mary had a...) with full accompaniment? -- then I would be really impressed smile

I failed the Mary test -- took me about 20 minutes to figure it out -- and that was just the melody line frown Am I beyond all hope? Rhetoric question -- I don't want to hear the answer smile

Here's a challenge you Piano Magic players -- what can you do with that theme? If it was good enough for Mozart to do variations on "Twinkle Twinkle" .....

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Wade, I like the way the authors Cannel and Marx debunk a lot of myths about piano playing.

I already understood theory, and my way around the keyboard, but picking out a melody was something else again.

Therefore, for me the most helpful part was Chapter 35, page178 where they tell you which note of the chord the melody starts on (the root, the 3rd, or the 5th). Once I understood that I was able to play a chord, and from it, determine which note was the beginning note of the melody. After that everything fell into place.

Gaby Tu

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hello bruceee laugh

20 minutes thats good for a first try thumb , it would have taken me hours when I first started

Here's a challenge you Piano Magic players -- what can you do with that theme? If it was good enough for Mozart to do variations on "Twinkle Twinkle" .....
hmmm what would I do? good question...

First of all I'd have a little play around with it like this:-

http://www.box.net/shared/92i466mpo1

and then I'd try something like this:-

http://www.box.net/shared/8ih4216ta5

How's that?

Tommorrow it would be different...but, hey its a fun tune aint it

maybe not Mozart?...however, I had a 10 minute pianomagical blast with it...

Q. When is a kiddie tune not a kiddie tune?
A. When its grown up wink

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MooGoo:
I must be a musical genius because I do not understand how anyone cannot instantly figure out Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano. My retarded blind limbless half sister can pluck out the song with her nose without even the need to make hilarious vocalizations (okay I don't really have a retarded blind limbless half-sister).

I just don't get it. The ability to play Mary had a Little Lamb, Hearts and Souls, and Chopsticks on a piano is embedded in everyones DNA, that's scientific fact.

And everyone knows C major is the natural resonance of the universe, so it should be eeeeaaaaaaaaaasy.
OUCH!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I must be a musical genius because I do not understand how anyone cannot instantly figure out Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano. My retarded blind limbless half sister can pluck out the song with her nose without even the need to make hilarious vocalizations (okay I don't really have a retarded blind limbless half-sister).

I just don't get it. The ability to play Mary had a Little Lamb, Hearts and Souls, and Chopsticks on a piano is embedded in everyones DNA, that's scientific fact.

And everyone knows C major is the natural resonance of the universe, so it should be eeeeaaaaaaaaaasy.
OUCH!!
I'm curious, can you notate it as easily?

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
M
Matt H Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have that book by Cannell and Marx. I better dig it out. The hardest part for me was figuring out which note to start on.

bruceee, My daughter just played the melody. But she does sometimes play a I-V accompianment with songs she learns by ear. She does this with "I'm a Little Teapot."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seaside made me do it:

http://www.box.net/shared/fticazurso

Excuse the sloppy recording and the lousy piano sound, but I was in a hurry.

Chords are: C A7 (or C#dim, which is basically the same thing) Dm G, repeated throughout.

M
M
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
[b] I must be a musical genius because I do not understand how anyone cannot instantly figure out Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano. My retarded blind limbless half sister can pluck out the song with her nose without even the need to make hilarious vocalizations (okay I don't really have a retarded blind limbless half-sister).

OUCH!!
I'm curious, can you notate it as easily? [/b]
Yes, in the key of C:

e d c d e e e r d d d r e g g r e d c d e e e e d d e d c off the top of my head where "r" == rest.

Change e to e flat if you want to make Mary sad.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Wow. Seaside's rendition is fantastic. Loved it. Got me so inspired I rushed to the piano to try my hand at it.

I played around a bit with the tune, and had the most fun playing it in c minor. (just flatted all the e's. as moo goo suggested.) My playing is very elementary so far, but at least I was able to pick out the melody all way through and embellish it with some full chords, arpeggios etc. What fun. I think my ear is beginning to get fine tuned and eventually will be able to direct my fingers to the correct notes, without the fumbling in between.

This has opened a whole new area of exploration for me. Bless Mary and her little lamb. She is leading me to new heights of musical prowess.

From now on, I am going to incorporate some playing by ear into my regular practice sessions.
Gaby Tu

Originally posted by bruceee:
Well, here's something. Not great, lots of brain freezes, but I was really stretching (for me) trying to play this with a few key changes. I went through the first time in C, then in Eb, then in F, then repeated the last bit in Gb and G ending the song in G.

Mary had a little lamb with a few key changes

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
Y
Y
quote:
-------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bruceee:
-------------------------------------------------

Hello bruceee,

I've been with Pianomagic since Jan '06. I tried to teach myself piano for a year and a half, before that. I'm 45 years old. And have lurked here alot. And, this is my attempt to show you what direction I would go with Mary had a little "something" :-).

http://www.box.net/shared/kukfmxusl0

I don't know about variations to much,, but it was fun recording it!
YeCats

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
YeCats. That was great. this thread is wonderful. I don't know when I have had such fun at the piano, as well as listening to what others have done with this ditty. Mary's little lamb really is bringing out the creative spirit in a lot of us.

And DeepElm, did I notice some blues notes in there? Whatever it was, it sounded great.

Gaby tu

Wow!! you guys are all brilliant -- at least that's the way it seems to someone who can't play like that.

Thank you all for sharing. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mahlzeit: Glad I made you do it

DeepElem: I have decided I want to be you

Yecats: Sounding good, nice to hear you play its been a while

Gabytu:
I don't know when I have had such fun at the piano
yes "fun"!...who'd a thunk it huh?

brucee:
Wow!! you guys are all brilliant
Nah wink ..we just have a brilliant teacher thumb

regards

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
B
B
Hi All -

Here's one more .... "The Ballad of Mary's Lamb" ...

http://www.box.net/shared/qhrv1y77gv

Balladeer (who else would play such a thing!)

Y
Y
Balladeer,

I don't think I've ever heard a finer pure version.

Thanks,
YeCats

PS: Oh,, thanks Gaby tu, brucee, and SeaSide for the nice words!

I don't believe that I'm adding this after hearing Balladeer, and Lee, and Matt, and YeCats, etc... but hey, Seaside asked....

This is pretty raw - I've only been at this about 5 months. I only put 1/2 hour into it and there are many clunkers and a few pauses where I was thinking too much so watch your ears.

Mary Had A Little Lamb

Sorry it's late,
Troy

B
B
Hey Troy -

You aren't giving yourself enough credit, buddy! wink Nice experimentation throughout. At 5 months I couldn't have come close to what you have done here eek

Remember though, it's not a race or contest. Just keep seeking your own "voice" by thinking like the music.

Balladeer

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Troy, that was really very very nice. I love the way you brought in different harmonies. I have been playing the piano longer than 5 months, and my version is no where as nice as yours.

Who would have thought that Mary's little lamb would unleash such creativity.

As an added bonus, when I had trouble falling asleep last night (too many of Starbuck's lattes, which they heavily load with caffine),instead of counting sheep, I began to mull over in my mind different versions of Mary had--a you know what.--playing it with an alberti bass, thirds, 6ths, octaves, etc. What fun.
Gaby Tu

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission