2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think Mary have a little lamb is an easy song; it took me 3 minutes to learn. I also learn "Auld Lang Syne" as well as the theme from Romeo and Juliet.
Another favorite is Happy Birthday which I played for a friend on her birthday. I also like "Here comes the Bride" which I am currently learning.
I find playing the simple melodies on the piano is as much fun as playing a more complicated piece. You can do so many things with simple tunes; this keeps me motivated to learn more...

- Mark (aka Hotkeys)
--------------------------------------------------
The ultimate joy of music is the joy of playing the piano...

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
S
S
Lee, loved your renderings. inspired me and having fun rying different styles. How do you save and send your files?
iris

S
S
Hotkeys, happy birthday is OK the melody but the harmony is NOT easy I have found

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You can play Happy Birthday with just 3 chords, which is one more than Mary Had A Little Lamb. smile

In the key of C, these are the chords: C G C F C G C

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hello iris

Glad you enjoyed listening thankyou

You can open an account with boxnet for free just follow the links from where you heard my files.

And to upload your music is very simple you can choose the option to "drag and drop" and then all you have to do is open the folder on your computer (where you've saved your music) and drag it on to the boxnet java window that appears and it does it all for you.

Once the file is stored at boxnet all you have to do is copy and paste the "public share" link

Glad you are having fun with the simple stuff too

rocky: I have passed your message onto honeycomb smile

hotkeys:

I find playing the simple melodies on the piano is as much fun as playing a more complicated piece. You can do so many things with simple tunes; this keeps me motivated to learn more...
YES!! thumb

Lee smile

Matthijs...WARNING!! do not play "Happy Birthday" in C if there is a family sing-a-long unless you want to kill some of the folks there off...playing it in the key of F should help save the lives of many of the older folks wink

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, so that explains why they won't have me back at the elderly home. laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
When I clicked on this http://www.box.net/shared/92i466mpo1 I remember when I used to go to a jazz club and listen to jazz like that night after night until the jazz club burned down around Christmas time about 20 years ago. Nothing ever replaced its loss.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Michael, I'm so glad you found this thread, because it's one of my favorites ever! I even have it bookmarked. Some of the most creative recordings we've ever had in the ABF!

Thanks for bumping it.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
well, it has been a nice thread. I can't completely wrap my ears around the piece, but when I play it countless times it is putting me, for the first time, in the right direction. I quickly checked the chords in my "Patterns for jazz" book by Jerry Coker" I am going to keep my ears close to the thread to hear what else I can learn. Thanks.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I grew up in a trailer that didn't have a recordplayer, just cbc radio. My brother came home - was adopted and used words I am not allow to type. I don't remember any singing in the trailer. There were no kindergarten in those days in northern Canada and we didn't have tv until 1958 and I was born in 1949. I am not making excuses but strange things happen.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"Mary Had a Little Lamb." Is that the same as "Ole McDonald had a farm"? I can only think of the naughty version of the nursery rhyme . . . courtesy of Benny Hill in th 70`s

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
"Musical culture has evolved in quite a bizarre way, given that everyone is in fact completely creative. When you speak, you're using the bank of words in your mind to make something up on the spur of the moment and you don't think twice about it. And if you have a knowledge of the language of music - it doesn't need to be particularly sophisticated, just a few chords and a melody - the joy of trying something out and seeing if you like the sound of it is very natural. If you respond to music, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have fun experimenting with it. The idea that a performer would only play what someone else wrote is like only ever speaking lines from a play or novel, never saying your own words. To a composer like Beethoven, the idea that improvising and performing are completely separate would have been ridiculous." - Steven Osborne - Pianist Magazine, issue 23, page 12.

This thread reminded me of this quote. cool

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
T
T
Amazing thread, and very inspiring for us play by ear folks.

"We pianists can learn a lot by emulating guitarists....think of a "typical" guitarist. Someone teaches them 3 or 4 chords and they immediately start strumming away and playing dozens of songs. Amazing, right? It's that easy, too, on piano...and you'll be having a lot of fun without much effort!"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
One of my favorite threads of all time.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
N
the trick is to match the tune with the note, or even a vague placement of the note. That is how I taught myself Silk by ear. Trying to transcribe people's playing is also tricky but could help you, especially listening and carefully watching their hands at half speed if using Youtube. (My arrangement of Ellie Goulding's "Burn" was painful but I managed it)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission