2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
The Catamount - probably between 7:30 and 8:00 - after we've muscled Dusty's bagpipers out of the way so we can finish setting up the sound system (laughing). Dusty's bagpipers don't seem to need a sound system -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F
F
I would love to hear a recording of your Black & White Rag Cathy, it`s one of my favourites. You may not know this but in the U.K. it is very well known as the theme tune of a popular snooker programme (now long gone of course).

Will
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
The Entertainer - I worked on the B and C parts this eve - it's sure a lot easier to do 3rds on top of the octave than on the bottom. The really big jumps in the left in part C might be easier if they were octaves since I could use my thumb as a place marker and I might use it as a "phantom" marker - sort of keep it above the octave just as a help. I also tried using more peripheral vision to keep track of where my left hand is - slow but sure slow as my brother used to say. But doing octave runs fast in either hand is really hard. I can do them one on each beat at 112 (in Black and White) but my right hand isn't as experienced. Maybe I'll need 30 years for this piece.

Will - maybe when March is over I'll try to record Black & White. St Patrick's Day is kind of a zoo for bands that play even a little of Irish music, so we have rehearsals several nights next week, and then I have to figure out how to do the initial sound set-up for a dance the next week. But the caveat is that it *is* a "country rag" version - closer to Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys than a George Botsford classic rag styling. I grew up listening to Bob Wills/western swing and this rag entered that fiddle tradition, so I learned it from a lead-sheet and play it in that style. It's fun, but it's not like your Maple Leaf! Maybe I'll do it for the may recital. gulp - was that a commitment?

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F
F
Well, if it`s a bit different then it`s all the more reason to have a listen :-)

Will
G
G
The jumps become second nature with enough slow and correct practice.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hobo57, how are you making out with this? I'm wrestling with the octaves, as are others on this thread. I'm into the second theme now. It's actually easier than the first - the octaves come at you in shorter strings - easier. One tricky bit in the middle of the second theme with the bridging 7th.

Slow, but sure slow as Cathy's brother says...

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
hobo57 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm crawling along through the first section. I can hit the notes with one hand or the other, but putting them together is not yet possible for me. I'm so far out of my league to be attempting this version, but I'm going to stay with it for a while.

Nice to hear that the second theme is easier. Perhaps I'll work on that for a while.

My hand can reach the octaves, but needs control. The slow and steady are words to live by. I read somewhere that the last practice run should be the slowest and I'm finding that helpful - though my fast is still very slow.

So much to learn... So much fun along the way...

There is nothing to it. You have only to hit the right note at the right time, and instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
School time -

Starting Over - which chord in the second part is the bridging 7th? Is it the right hand D7 that's voiced C-F#-B that comes after the G that's voiced D-G-B?

And my version is from Scott Joplin King of Ragtime, Lewis Pub, 1972, and it says play the 2nd/B part an octave higher on the repeat. I've tried this on some other tunes I play and for me it's not trivial to move it up an octave. I have to practice almost as much as I do in the regular octave.

I'm like you, Mark - it's fun to be "out of my league" sometimes.

Cathy

Cathy
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jotur, yes, the chord you describe is exactly the bit I was referring to. Not sure if "bridging" is the correct term there but that's all I could think of to describe it. Not exactly a D7 either - what chord is C-F#-B? The chord on the next beat immediately after it is D7 for sure. This phrase looks trivial but I just keep stumbling over it and the following bar for some reason. Practice.

Interesting that you mention the 8va on the second repeat in the B theme. Seems like it should be easy to move up an octave but it's not for me either. The shifting hand position along with the different sound is the reason I think.

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
F
F
Don`t be afraid to lean over to get in front of it when playing further up the keyboard. I just love that tinkley ragtime sound you get on those repeats, I`m always tempted to play it all up there :-)

Will
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll definitely try that Fraggle. Hadn't thought of that. This may seem like a dumb question but does the 8va apply to both clefs or just the treble. I'm assuming just the treble but is that correct?

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
F
F
To be honest I don`t know for sure, I`ve only ever raised the treble myself though.

Will
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Fraggle - thanks for the tip. With short arms that would probably help a lot. I think only the treble gets raised by the 8va, but hey, who's playing this piece? I saw the piano player with Wynton Marsalis play his boogie woogie way up in the top two octaves once and it was great, and I raised both hands on a rag for a contra dance I was playing awhile back because I was the only melody player for that tune, and with 6 times thru I had to do something for variety.

Maybe that 7 chord is a D7sus6 - hahahahahahahaha. Well, maybe it is?!? The bass certainly is a D7. But no matter what you call it, your description led me to the right place, and the c-b is a 7 interval. I think the next measure is tricky, too, because of the contract/expand my hand thing.

I won't be able to work on this for the next week or so, but hope you all have fun.

Cathy

Cathy
B
B
I would like to do the study group. I have a book of all of Joplin's original music. I don't know if I can learn it or not. I used to be able to play an easier version when I was a kid. I am just restarting this month after not playing for over 15 years.

Wade
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Play on brazo. The more the merrier.

I must be getting somewhere with this. This morning, my wife said "That sounds great" when I was playing it. laugh

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
hobo57 Offline OP
OP Offline
BrazosPiano,

Welcome. I can only speak for me, and progress is slow as I'm a first year beginner. Sometimes I think I should step back to an earlier version, but this is my fun piece and I'm thrilled for each little bit of improvement.

Starting Over, that's great that you're in the "recogonizable" and even "sounds great" space.

There is nothing to it. You have only to hit the right note at the right time, and instrument plays itself.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Coming along with this - I've memorized the first 2 themes now and I can play them, not well yet - still stumbling a bit over that tricky part in the B theme. The octaves remain challenging. Today I worked on the third theme, memorizing it first. Just about ready to start practicing it. Thankfully, this piece is quite easy to memorize.

You know, Joplin is not as simple as it sounds. It seems like just a plain old swing bass but it's more than that. A separate melody is buried in the bass line. It's no wonder this stuff survives 100 years later. It's really great piano music.

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
F
F
I can`t believe how quickly you memorise compared to me - you`ve caught me up and I already knew the first two pages when we started. In fact you`ve overtaken me because I`m still memorising the rest :-p
I can`t memorise anything without learning to play it.

Will
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure that I have actually overtaken you. I memorize the music before starting to practice it. It was easy with this particular music but it is much more difficult with most music and usually takes me much longer. Try it. You may find you can memorize this music quickly as well because it isn't too complicated.

Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
hobo57 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm just now starting to put hands together on the first section. I have the RH memorized, and the LH close to memorized. I'm guessing at least another week or two to get both hands together.

Someone said the second section was easier than the first, so I may move on to that after a few more days and let section #1 rest in the back of my brain.

This is a rewarding challenge. Each day the octaves feel a bit more comfortable. Though I'm still very slow...

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission