2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1042632 08/25/04 10:45 AM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Pun intended. laugh

Today for the first time, I'm now able to play the C scale up and down in the black keys!!! yippie

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good job Bob. All our small victories start to add up. It has something to do with persistence thumb

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Aren't those "Aha!" moments wonderful?

And there are so darn many of them!

Good work!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Isn't it great to have somewhere to share this stuff where someone really understands and cares?

Bob - was it you that suggested Seattle Adult Beginners or retreads should meet at Nordstrom and play the piano? I thought of it when I was there last week in Bell Square talking to the woman who plays the Steinway there.

Yesterday, my teacher suggested that she and I go to a nursing home to play for the folks. She says someone will always clap even if others are nodding off.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
No, someone else suggested an area adult beginners group but nothing's been organized yet. I did suggest nursing homes though. wink

"Aren't those "Aha!" moments wonderful?
And there are so darn many of them!"

Yeah, too bad there is so much time between them. frown smile

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Muir,

That's great that you've discovered something new - every bit helps and I'd be happy to!

My lessons with my new teacher are going great! I had my third lesson with her today. She is so helpful with the little tips and tricks on technique. I told her I don't mind spending a lot of time on one piece - I want to do it with feeling and musicality and she has provided so many "aha!" moments, including music theory.

I just drove right through Lakewood yesterday on I-5 while driving home to Portland from Seattle visiting piano showrooms! I guess I should say I "crawled" though, since I happen to drive through at the peak traffic time!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
quoted by Bob:
Today for the first time, I'm now able to play the C scale up and down in the black keys!!!
Bob, do you mean a chromatic C scale? I'm confused.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
L
L
I share your confusion. At first I thought you meant the C sharp Major scale which is all black keys but you said you are putting your fingers between the black keys so I assume you are indeed playing the C Major scale. So what is the purpose of playing/practicing it with fingers so forward they are in between the black keys?

_ _ ___________________________ _ _
"There are no shortcuts to anything worth doing." Beverly Sills
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
"Bob, do you mean a chromatic C scale? I'm confused."

No, I mean the C-Major scale.

"what is the purpose of playing/practicing it with fingers so forward they are in between the black keys?"

It's not so much for practice, just the fact that I can do it. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to practice it, although there are plenty of scales and arpeggios that require it; I just haven't gotten to them yet.

The first time I ran into it was the first inversion of the D7 arpeggio (the #2 arpeggio for the G-Major scale), which goes F#, A, C, D, and back to F#. In order to get your thumb/little finger to F#, I had to play the others between the blacks which I couldn't do at first without hitting black notes. Once I was able to do that, I thought it would be neat to see how long it would take to play the C-Major scale keeping my fingers in the black area.

Congrats, Bob! I'm having the same problem right now, as a matter of fact. You will find it to be quite a useful skill when you start to do trills and chromatic ascending chords, as you wont's have to angle your wrist or move you arm in and out to play them. Could you please describe again how you managed to do this?

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
There are three things I'm focussing on:

1. Relaxation, which almost goes without saying;
2. Flexible wrists, which smooths out the finger attacks; and
3. Noticing how the fingers are attacking the keys, both up and down the scale. You may notice sometimes that you completely change the attack going one direction from the other.

If you can try as much as possible to keep the same angle from the easier direction, then the more difficult direction becomes easier. In other words, when you walk forward, you walk heel->toe. If you were to try and walk backward heal->toe, it would be much more difficult.

When my left hand is moving up the scale, which is easier, I try to focus on how the fingers are moving so I can step into the same positions going back down the scale.

Also, like anything, it takes a lot of practice. It took some time before I was able to do that D7 arpeggio (1st inversion) without tripping over the black keys. And then it took some more time, but not nearly as much to do the C-major scale up in the blacks. I'm still hitting wrong keys on occasion, but I do that no matter what I'm doing. I know it'll get better with a few years of practice. smile

Of course I'm a rank beginner, so it may be that I'm over analysing things and it's possible I'm doing it completely wrong. I'm going to go over it with my teacher on Monday.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bob... you should always celebrate victories.. and this is one. In my three years of lessons I see all the small steps forward adding up to where I can actually play some pretty good stuff!

Congratulations! If you can't share it gladly on this forum, then where?

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
MAK Offline
I can recall many times during my first few years of lessons when I felt that I had hit a brick wall, that there was "no way" I could play a series of notes correctly. This feeling went all the way back to the early days of lessons and continued for several years. But in each case, by effort, I was able to not only play the notes in question, but they actually became EASY. Now, I am no longer intimidated by any particular piece or series of measures because I KNOW that with effort, I will get it, sooner or later. Which is not to say that I will ever be a great pianist, only that the idea that the idea that we are limited in our progress is an illusion.

Michael

Bosendorfer 175

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission