Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1043072 - 06/04/08 07:10 PM Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland
Can anybody tell me if there is a right way or wrong way to play the pianio.

I'm looking for answers from experienced and comptenet pianists. My interests range from classical - popular - Ragtime. I love The Beatles, The Carpenters, Scott Joplin and Bach.

Any takers?

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1043073 - 06/04/08 08:17 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ragtime Clown:
I'm looking for answers from experienced and competent pianists.
Any takers? [/b]
Hey, I feel like living dangerously today ... I'll dive in \:\) .

I've been playing for 50 years, and I teach and play professionally (as an accompanist/collaborative pianist). Just background.

You know, I don't think there is a right/wrong way.

However, I do think there is:
[1] A way which will cause physical problems, and a way which won't.
[2] A way which will allow you to effectively use the piano's range of expression and sound, and a way that won't.
Both of these may vary to some extent between individuals.
[3] A way which treats the piano as a piece of athletic equipment, and a way which treats it as your musical voice.
Matter of taste here, I would say \:\) .

There. Was that a cop-out? I don't think so, actually \:\) . Anyway, it's a start.

#1043074 - 06/05/08 08:19 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ragtime Clown:

I'm looking for answers from experienced and comptenet pianists. My interests range from classical - popular - Ragtime. I love The Beatles, The Carpenters, Scott Joplin and Bach.

Any takers? [/b]
with your toes....Just kidding.

#1043075 - 06/08/08 02:37 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
In the sense that there is a right way to walk and a right way to run - yes. In cooperation with gravity not conflict.

#1043076 - 06/08/08 05:32 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
If you have ever been to a gym you know that there is a right way to perform and exercise and a wrong way. The wrong actually might harm your back, nack, muscle, ligaments, tendons and even bones.

With the piano the same principle applies.
When making sure to do the exercises in the correct way you focus more on the "proper form" than on the resistance or endurance.

I think it is a good idea to transfer this philosophy to the piano by making sure to have internalized the proper form of sound production before tackling more complex musical and technical concepts that might distract from and destroy a proper form which is not yet automatic.

Let me suggests few things that I believe shouldn't exist in a proper form of sound production:

1) You don't want to raise your shoulders or keep them raised

2) You don't want to point your elbows up and at the sides when playing. The elbows should stay in the same line of your upper body

3) You don't want to articulate raising your fingers very high with momentum. Not only it will stress your muscles but it also promotes displacement of the hand or fingers when landing on the key destroying accuracy like nothing else.

4) You don't want to play by collapsing the forearm by pushing the elbow down. The up and down motion of the forearm is one of a lever whose movement is organized around the ray of the fulcrum.

5) You don't want to allow the wrist to go way below key level in an hyper-extended manner.

6) Your shoulders need to be unlocked and relaxed because they will absorb the shock of the hands and fingers. If you allow the hands and fingers themselves to absorb such shock they will be displaced.

8) You don't want to twist your hands toward the thumbs as they play toward the center of the keyboard. Instead the whole hand play at an angle with the thumb always close to the edge of the key and the other fingers up close to the fall-board.
In general you must avoid twisting the hand in order to be able to put the while side of the thumb parallel to a key. The thumb always plays at an angle with the key and just with the tip.

7) You don't want to sit in your legs but in your butt. The thighs need to be higher and out of the way and the sitting point in your butt needs to be below thighs level. This is also achieve by sitting only in the first half portion of your bench leaving the other half empty.

#1043077 - 06/08/08 05:53 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the efforts here to respond to my question. The question related to the ctual method or technique, though the physical advice is also useful.

Since I started playing a couple of years ago I have experienced:-

1. Printed music played note for note
2. Left Hand Chords/right Hand melody
3. Left Hand Chords/Right hand chord inversion(placing the melody note on top)
4. Left Hand Chords/Right hand chords

I don't suppose any of them are either right or wrong but there is a proper way to drive a car and then there are all the bad habits you pick up on the way - any further comments?

#1043078 - 06/08/08 07:17 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

But do you mean practicing methods?

#1043079 - 06/08/08 09:32 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Danny, well either in practice or performance.........

#1043080 - 06/08/08 11:26 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Forgive but I still don't understand what you mean.
You described options that depends on the music not on the method. You have chord on the hand or right hand or both hands. The only wrong or right concern the way you play, they way you move at the piano.

#1043081 - 06/08/08 12:27 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I wouldn't worry too much about the terms "right" and "wrong" as regards to the popular stuff you want to play. If it sounds good to you, it is "right". Let your ear be the judge of things. Thelonious Monk was made fun of because of his bad "technique" at the piano. But, the musical sounds he made -- WOW!!!!

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1043082 - 06/08/08 05:25 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Ragtime Clown Offline
500 Post Club Member

Barb, you certainly sound so good. Is the Sudnow method similar to piano magic - a by ear programme?

#1043083 - 06/08/08 05:52 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks, Ragtime. The main thrust of The Sudnow Method is to play from a fakebook or lead sheet, where you read the melody line and chord symbols. You learn how to do your own jazzy sounding arrangements.

After doing a lot of your own arrangements, fakebook reading is a breeze. I am up to that point now.

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1043084 - 06/08/08 06:46 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Playing the piano is a learned experience. Therefore, learning from someone who can do it well, and can communicate how to do it, is the best way.

Learning from an amateur teacher, or "correctly teaching yourself" (an oxymoron) is not a good way.

Therefore, my answer is:

One Way: This is virtually Guaranteed to be the Right way: Learn from an accredited, Classically trained and well-experienced teacher.

The other Way: Most often this is the Wrong way: Be Self-taught, or taught by an amateur teacher.

#1043085 - 06/08/08 10:45 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Right way[/b] : Learn the music You love, using the most effective tools, enjoying every single note.

Wrong way[/b] : Learn music You dont care for, using methods not adapted to your learning habilities, suffering through it all in the hopes of one day ... \:\(

Cheers

#1043086 - 06/09/08 02:17 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rocket88:
One Way: This is virtually Guaranteed to be the Right way: Learn from an accredited, Classically trained and well-experienced teacher.

The other Way: Most often this is the Wrong way: Be Self-taught, or taught by an amateur teacher. [/b]
Forgive me but this is beginning to sound like marketing hype. The truth is that self-learners has always existed and among them even famous artists. The truth is also that credentials and grades mean nothing and there are teachers out there who can't teach or lack any sort of insight and yet got lot of credentials. But this is true of whatever professional. Getting Ph.D. and teaching or working credentials has never remotely been a guarantee of talent, intelligence, skill, open-mindedness and even competency. Besides there's no reason to believe that a classical trained teacher is naturally a better teacher. Quite the opposite. Classical training often entails lot of myths, obsolete learning methods, narrow outdated theories, artistic inhibition and accademical snobbery.

#1043087 - 06/09/08 07:37 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:

Classical training often entails lot of myths, obsolete learning methods, narrow outdated theories, artistic inhibition and accademical snobbery. [/b]
And how is what you say not anti-academical snobbery?

#1043088 - 06/09/08 08:09 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rocket88:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Danny Niklas:

Classical training often entails lot of myths, obsolete learning methods, narrow outdated theories, artistic inhibition and accademical snobbery. [/b]
And how is what you say not anti-academical snobbery? [/b]
Snobbery not for sure since I'm involment in the musical accademic world. I accept everything and try not to be fanatical about something or get extremist. I'm not the one that dogmatically claim the superiority of one way (in spite of its objective cons, flaws and problems) at the expense of another one. The point is that I recognize that every way in this world has flaws, problems and cons. There's nothing perfect and flawless in our life. It's the fanatical snob that pontify and put something on a pedestal not even acknoledwing one problem with the thing he/she worships.

#1043089 - 06/09/08 08:35 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

#1043090 - 06/09/08 08:47 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Snobbery is arbitrarily dismissing something believing that it is all cons while your dogma is all pros. I believe every thing in this has both pros and cons and perfection doesn't exist. It is therefore an attitude opposing snobbery.

#1043091 - 06/09/08 09:09 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Still on the theoretical end but trying to get closer to reality: A "self taught" person to be able to get to any kind of level needs to learn from others or another, because there are things he simply will not find on his own. His playing will remain limited.

You can also turn this around and say that a good student with a good teacher is essentially "self-teaching". This is one reason that I insist on correcting the verb when someone refers to "learning style" as being what their teacher does: "learning" is an action we take, and not something a teacher does to us. What is described is a "teaching style". A good student with a good teacher is in a sense a self-teaching student, with the two of them actively engaged in his activity of learning - the teacher might bring across what needs to be learned, but the student must catch it and use it. Hopefully the student is actively engaged and wants to learn. This is why another vocabulary by teachers bothers me: "motivation" is a thing to be imparted on a student. "Motivation" is a passive thing that is done to you, rather than an impulse already sitting inside you.

Not everything is well presently everywhere in the world where music is being taught and learned. There are signs everywhere. So maybe we start looking where it is going well.

In general, a student must learn well and effectively. It is desireable to have the guidance of a person or person who understands musicianship, the instrument and its playing, and knows how to bring this across to another person. At this point attitude and philosophies such as those mentioned by Danny come into play. If both student and teacher agree that the student is an active learner, wishing to learn, and responsible for his learning, and if the teacher is competent to impart the necessary skills, you will have a particular kind of interaction. However, this all seems close to pedagogy... except for the part where we learn as an active thing, "self-teaching" in a sense even when with a teacher.

#1043092 - 06/09/08 09:20 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you think of self-taught painters of the past they had no teachers but it didn't mean they had no models to imitate. Imitation is the most important mode of learning we have so it's natural that self-teaching is instinctively based on imitation. Self-taught painters had no school, teachers or curriculum but in their self-teaching they would often sit in a square to draw what they saw asking the opinions and helps of the people passing by or they would spend entire afternoon with famous painters to see how they worked and try to recapture their technique. Imitation and exploration are not second-rate methods of learning. It's actually school that deludes itself in believing that the efficiency of those modes can be substitued with intellectual work on book: i.e. memorizing regurgitated second-hand informations rather than having an active part in their exploration and therefore understanding.

#1043093 - 06/09/08 09:20 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??

Getting totally real for a moment:

Yesterday I started to play a study that I played 8 months ago. My hand was relatively tense and some notes were difficult to reach and play. I stopped and examined how I have learned to play since. Among other things, back then I kept my hand ready for any grouping of notes so it was stiff in its readiness to go anywhere, a bit like a poised spider ready to strike.

Since then I have learned a few things. I have learned to guage what span of notes I will be covering, adjusting my fingers and handspan accordingly. My fingers rest on the keys. I have learned that when covering a large span, if I move out from the thumb it is effortless because of the range of the thumb's stretch from the hand, while if I think of reaching with the fingers there is tension. I have learned to anticipate where I will be, and "prepare".

So I used this new practiced knowledge, and I approached the memorized study as though it were fresh, anticipating and planning. Within 5 minutes I had a formerly difficult section going smoothy without tension, reaching notes easily that I could hardly reach before, able to put in the dynamics that had escaped me because the tight hand wouldn't allow it.

These are principles I would not have found on my own. This may be what "right way" and "wrong way" is about ... as Currawong put it, efficient and less efficent rather than right or wrong. This is also where the role of a competent guide comes in. The question of how the relationship unfolds is one I don't know how to address.

#1043094 - 06/09/08 10:59 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??

Quote:
... self-taught painters of the past
I have lived what you idealize: My creativity has been preserved and I have no craftsmanship - it remains raw and limited. This is as far as I could go:
study 1970
classroom 1971
teacher portraits 1972
There is a direct analogy to music studies. I finally took a sculpting course with a master artist in the late 1990's. My first sculpture had raw instinctiveness: you could practically feel the muscles and flesh, but anatomically it was incongruous and uncontrolled.

I learned elements of craftsmanship: anatomy, and measuring and considering of proportion. My second scultpure is bland and no longer "living" but the proportions and anatomy are there. I have won control through knowledge and approach. Once I have this I can begin building in the "talent aspect" or uniqueness again.

This is 100% my path in music, and it is also the source of past frustration. I did studies like da Vinci did. But da Vinci and Michaelangelo studied anatomy and went through an apprenticeship. They had to trace pre-set "cartoons" of faces, learned the mixing of pigment and preparation of surfaces. They learned of proportion, composition (how to pleasingly distribute elements). They had all this discipline and guidance behind them. Artistic works are created.

You do not just go out an imitate what the masters did from the surface. They created their works with mastery and knowledge, and you need to follow that path. We need access to that knowledge in a non-stultifying way from someone who knows what he is doing. There are no two ways about it. I have remained limited in both my music and my visual art.

Addendum: 5 years of art in school. Our creativity was not to be stifled. We were handed paint and whatever, and could whatever we wanted with no instructions ever. Feedback was limited to "Very good! Very good!" which doesn't teach you much of anything. No thank you to this kind of "motivation".

#1043095 - 06/09/08 11:25 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Self-teaching doesn't mean having no access to whatever information, advice, model or explanation you need. In fact it means having access to whatever source of information you instinctively follow instead of having access to only those information someone has selected for you (out of personal, cultural or political bias) to be followed in the specific standard manner that have been chosen. A teacher nowaday is not the source of information (in fact the teacher itself gets those information somewhere else and again more often than not is just second-hand information regurgitated from books) but the authoritative figure selecting the information for you while limiting also the freedom to just not get second-hand information but also first-hand exploration and discovery. Self-learning doesn't mean shutting yourself in a room and trying to learn something in the orthodox way. It means using the same means, that the orthodox way uses in a limited way, plus some more plus exploraton and discovery but in a non orthodox way. It's what we actively do every day of our life: learning. There are no places where we learn and places where we don't learn. Every second of our life we learn. Remembering a movie and having thought about the plot and the meanings is learning. Reading a post here and trying to come out with an articulated reply is learning. Smelling an arome you will never forget is learning. It is just logical that in a living which is learning and learning which is living there's a lot of room for knowledge and skill that come from the interaction with other people. In fact in spite of what someone would like to believe no human being is autonomous. We can't live without the others. We can't survive without the others. Our life has no meaning without the others and we get psychotic from being isolated and having no human contacts. In a world of self-learning actually there would be way more and more educative relationships among people of whatever social class, age, race and gender. In truth every relationship would be educative. I don't count the times I have learned something from a friend and a friend has learned something from me. And educative relationship is not about some active imparter of knowledge and a passive ignorant container. It is sharing knowledge, experiences, discovers and advices all the time both being teacher, student and friend.

#1043096 - 06/09/08 11:42 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??

Danny, look above. Have you examined the sketches? Can you see the efforts of a self-teacher who was starving to learn from someone? I left school 30 years ago - I'm way past the institutionalized settings. In the here and now I, and many of my fellows, need resources and direction. Regardless of ideals which I have not only shared but lived as a homeschooling parent, in this thread I would like to remain in a practical rhealm henceforth.

You have not addressed what I wrote about visual arts and the elements of craftsmanship.

#1043097 - 06/09/08 11:43 AM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
Danny,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "learning"? Thank you.

-Matt

#1043098 - 06/09/08 01:26 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

It's hard for me to define learning because I think it's beyond definition. To me learning is living. Everytime we process an information from the environment, from another person and from our senses we're learning. So learning goes on even on dreams. I think the problem is that we treat formal learning as inherently different than other form of sensorial processing and in the process we make them more complex adding to them a strange mistycal aura. But in truth there's no such a difference. What we learn in courses or schools is not qualitative different than what we learn by living each minute of our existence, it's the humanly counterintuitive method which is different. Instead than having your motivation guide you through the active exploration of reality we end up divided into classes age segregated were forced association is promoted, free thinking is discouraged and arbirtrary following of rules praised and we mostly learn passively by attempting to parrot what we read rather than actively trying to understand and interact with what we're trying to learn. Learning is making sense of whatever information of whatever nature that hits us every second of our life. There's a little book that reminds me what learning is. There is an "Everything in the Wide World" museum. In the museum there are many rooms. A "Thing under the sea" room, a "things up in the sky" room, a "things in the hills" room but they are just rooms where everything is out of context and seems not to make sense. Then there's a very big door that says "Everything else in the world" and there he goes out and see the world.

#1043099 - 06/09/08 06:35 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
Danny, look above. Have you examined the sketches? Can you see the efforts of a self-teacher who was starving to learn from someone?
[/b]

Resources and directons are completely compatible with self-teaching. No one said that self-teaching is learning on your own, dismissing any structured learning, reinveinting the wheel, avoiding the expertise of people that might guide you. There's self-teaching and there's solitary-self-resource teaching. They are very different.

#1043100 - 06/09/08 06:52 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??

I am not discussing self-teaching. I'm discussing a specific need. However the topic of self-teaching, society etc. should turn into a separate thread as was discussed in the other thread. In fact, we are discussing one topic across two threads right now.

#1043101 - 06/09/08 07:16 PM Re: Right Way/Wrong ay to play the Piano??
Danny Niklas Offline
500 Post Club Member

The problem with the OT in this thread is that none of us really understood what the author point is ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (Almaviva, antony, ando, accordeur, Adam Coleman, 45 invisible), 1421 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153557 Topics
2250518 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
38 minutes 10 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
Today at 07:25 PM
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission