2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1043578 11/26/08 11:08 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm currently adding pieces to a repetoire so when friends call and ask me to play I can roll a few pieces off.

Problem is in order that I can memorize these pieces I feel that I should be playing them daily in my practice to maintain my ability to play them.

Is it a common problem that pieces leave your memory as you stop playing them or at least don't play them as often.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Unless you are a pro or play by ear you must practice repertoire often. No way around it. You might get away with a rotation of playing pieces every couple of days.

Mark...

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Ragtime Clown:

Is it a common problem that pieces leave your memory as you stop playing them or at least don't play them as often.
I guess it depends on how well you want to play them. I can play pieces that I used to play a lot from memory after not having played them for years but I certainly wouldn't call them well played by any stretch. If I want to play the piece reasonably well it usually takes a few days practice to polish it back up.

Greg
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Once a week should do to keep them. Make a list and a rota and stick to it. Looking at the list I started a some years ago but didn't put in a rota is just too disheartening - I could fill a fair number of concert programmes if only! Don't let it happen to you.

D
D
I find this a huge and frustrating problem even when looking at the music. I like the suggestion of a list. I'm a real lower level beginner, using 2nd grade books. I have nothing memorized. Your post actually helped me because I was struggling with the same question - If it was common for the piece you had liked so much to just disappear.

I spent so much of my first year as a re-learner trying to grasp concepts I never learned 40 years ago and struggling with rhythm and counting, that I've devoted no time to keeping things fresh. Great question and good responses. It meant a lot to me.

Debbie

"Do you listen when you play, or do you just put your hands on the keyboard and hope for the best?" Author: Unknown
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
Once a week should do to keep them. Make a list and a rota and stick to it. Looking at the list I started a some years ago but didn't put in a rota is just too disheartening - I could fill a fair number of concert programmes if only! Don't let it happen to you.
The list is obviously a good idea but would you recommend playing the pieces weekly from memory or with sheet music as sometimes an audience are put off!!

If you have pieces memorized play them from memory, if playing from the sheet stick to that. I only memorize the difficult stuff.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The advice my teacher gave me tonight was to play from memory once you have mastered the piece from the score. He said that some people feel that you are not really free to express yourself if you are reading all the time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play by ear. Usually all I need to take with me is a list of titles with the key I that I play them in. When I have a gig coming up I'll get out my list and rehearse the songs to refresh my memory of how to start them and the chord changes.

But then I always sing when I do a one man show, so I will take lyric sheets also. Don't always use them but it's reassuring to have them.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Originally posted by Ragtime Clown:
The advice my teacher gave me tonight was to play from memory once you have mastered the piece from the score. He said that some people feel that you are not really free to express yourself if you are reading all the time.
Often I feel like I'm playing a different piece when memorized. I understand it better, so your teacher has a point, but then again sometimes what's on the paper, the rhythm of it, helps you understand the rhythm in the piece. Memorizing is not as old a trick as you may think nor is it the skill you may assume it to be. CPE Bach goes over the pros and cons quite well.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission