Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1043942 - 09/14/04 11:00 AM Teachers for different kinds of music?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I am, at 3 years, progressing well into classical music, but have also a strong interest in jazz & blues. (yes.. my heart's desire is to be a lounge lizard.. \:D )

My teacher now is great for classical, but does not teach jazz. Does anyone else have two teachers for different styles? If so, how has that worked out?

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1043943 - 09/14/04 11:59 AM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
cziffra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikhailoh:
My teacher now is great for classical, but does not teach jazz. Does anyone else have two teachers for different styles? If so, how has that worked out? [/b]
I've never taken lessons from two teachers at once, but since I am a piano teacher I'll go ahead and give my advice. I think this could work out very well if handled properly. The best situation would be the one where both teachers know about the other and some sort of communication about your lessons occurs between them. Otherwise, you will have one teacher telling you to do something a certain way and the other will tell you that what you are doing is incorrect.

Your first step should be to talk to your current teacher and find out if he/she would be willing to work with another teacher.

#1043944 - 09/14/04 12:25 PM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
Freedom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
I had two teachers for about a year. cziffra is right about talking to your teacher just now first.
My second teacher specialized in technique at the Guildhall school, so I had her exclusively for that until a year had passed and she moved away, but she told me we had accomplished everything we had set out to do, so I was pleased. During that time my original teacher kept going with everything else like repertoire and sight-reading and so on. Also I have a separate teacher for theory as well. I found it very helpful and I feel I progressed amazingly because of the different input from different teachers.

Freedom \:\)

#1043945 - 09/14/04 12:32 PM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks. Although I have seen someone on here discuss having two teachers secretly, I would never do such a thing. The beauty of being and adult is that one can do what one wishes.. openly.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1043946 - 09/14/04 01:16 PM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
Bob331 Offline

Loc: NY
My teacher (Jayne) is classically trained but also has a degree from Berklee. So she knows enough about jazz/pop to teach me the theory I have to know. And she's a lovely person to study with! (In fact, my 11-year-old daughter has started studying with her as well!)

Maybe one day I'll go to a teacher who is strictly jazz/pop, but Jayne is just fine for me now.

Bob

#1043947 - 09/15/04 03:39 AM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
smidgeon Offline

Loc: England
Hi Michael,

I had two teachers, one for classical and one for jazz/blues. Neither teacher saw the other as a problem because as far as they were concerned they were not in competition, they were teaching completely different things. When I started my jazz lessons my classical teacher even welcomed it - she thought that broadening my abilities could only help my classical playing. Learning jazz was like learning a completely different language!

The one thing I did find was that having weekly lessons from both teachers was too much - I found I didn't have time to practise adequately for either. If you are having weekly classical lessons at the moment you may find that once you start jazz lessons you will want less frequent lessons in order to have time to prepare properly.

I eventually stopped my jazz lessons when my jazz teacher became ill but it is my intention to start them again when I have more time.

Andrea.

#1043948 - 09/15/04 06:30 AM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Andrea! I was wondering if two lessons a week would not be too much, especially with the classsical stuff I'm getting into now takimg much more time.

====

#1043949 - 09/15/04 07:08 AM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I posted the same question Here (it'a s different forum)

I ended up getting a Jazz Harmony book, which I am working through on my own while maintaining a single teacher for the classical. I'm going to give myself a year to fully integrate the jazz theory and then seek out a second teacher to take me from there.

-Paul

#1043950 - 09/16/04 01:50 PM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Mound... you have a virtual (meaning nonexistent) gift certificate from me to go get something great for dinner from Wegmans in Pitsford.

I will look for teh jazz harmony book!

====

#1043951 - 09/16/04 01:50 PM Re: Teachers for different kinds of music?
Freedom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
When I had my two teachers they would talk to each other on the phone and so on so they could work around each other, making sure one didn't says one thing and the other say something completely different.
I found this useful. Also at that time I was getting in total 4 lessons a week, counting both performance teachers and theory.

Freedom \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (A Guy, allana, a-z0-9, 37 invisible), 1394 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294602 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
21 seconds ago
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
30 minutes 28 seconds ago
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission