Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1044311 - 01/10/08 10:04 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
I wish to be called "stud-muffin" instead of dude.[/b]
Oh great, stud-muffin[/b] and beefcakes[/b] are already taken. \:\(

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1044312 - 01/10/08 11:35 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:
I don't think they should be banned.

If that's the case ban retired people or stay home peeps who don't work and have more time to practice.

[/b]
I hope ya'll realize that was just a tongue in cheek poke at hopinmad. I wouldn't even support banning Lang Lang.

#1044313 - 01/10/08 11:40 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:

One of the reasons I don't play as well as Amelia or Frycek or hoppinmad or LisztAddict or (insert name) is the length of time playing and the time put into practice. [/b]
I have no business whatsoever named in the company of the other three. Better acknowledge that before it goes to my head. \:\(

#1044314 - 01/10/08 12:52 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
There are three kinds of players in the world:

Those worse then me (there must be someone....)
Those same as me (poor people)
Those better then me...

Ever notice that "we" are never happy with what we have, always looking at those who are better and striving to reach that plateau?

If I could play like you Frycek, I would be happy... except if I were to reach your current level, you keep practicing, and so you surpassed that level, so and even then I would not play as well as you.

You must quit and give me three years. It's only fair.

#1044315 - 01/10/08 02:20 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
ok, sorry for that comment, I was just joking. haha

the chicks are beating the dudes, well almost.

com'on girls we can do it.

no offence guys but I seriously dislike being called a chick, just as some of you a dude

I can tell you that the amount of practise has nothing to do with the talent. it's all to do with disipline and it took me a long time to be able to practise 4 hrs a day

#1044316 - 01/10/08 10:05 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
lizzy's dad Offline

Loc: Suburb of Seattle
Man, that's a lot of practicing! If I have the time I can do about 2 hours at a pop, but a few of you are doing 4+. Very impressive.

I can't imagine this is done all at once. I've got a bevy of questions.

How do you stay focused?
How long do you guys practice at one sitting? What's considered too long?
Are there stress related injury implications associated with long term practicing?

#1044317 - 01/11/08 07:21 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by lizzy's dad:
How do you stay focused?
How long do you guys practice at one sitting? What's considered too long?
Are there stress related injury implications associated with long term practicing? [/b]
I practice 3-4 hours a day. It's taken me two years to work up to this level. I started out with 30 minutes to an hour a day over 3-4 sessions.

Focus is an issue for me over 20-30 minutes on a piece, but for scales, tremelos, trills, chords/inversions, I can practice for up to an hour.

I start out with technique practice. 1 hour, a break, 1 hour, then another longer break. Then I will do the "study" portion for 20-30 minutes in 3-4 sets throughout the day, depending on how I feel and if I have the time. I play best in the AM, and not so good at night, so night sessions can be as short as 10 minutes.

For me, fully rested, 1 hour is my limit before I start to feel it. It used to be 15 minutes when I started, and it has grown as I use the muscles and have learned to relax better (thanks Klutz).

As far as stress/pain is concerned, I will stop if I start feeling tense or pain or frustration (I find if I am getting frustrated, I tighten up so I have learned the hard way to stop, take a break, relax, and start again later).

Now, the answer to the question you did not ask - is it doing any good? - Yea, I think so. It's still slow going, and since I spend more than half the time on technique, the pieces come together slowly (bad sight-reader, must memorize). I actually think my technique is ahead of my playing abilities. I know that sounds odd, but I can just fly on scales, and trills are coming around, and I can invert major chords on the fly. It's putting all that to work in a piece that challenges me still.

#1044318 - 01/11/08 09:19 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
The key word here is MOTIVATION.

I could practice 12 hours a day if I wanted to. I certainly have the time. But, as I mentioned in another thread, I have hit that wall where my progress has come to a stand-still. The first year and one-half, I was flying. I learned about 25-30 pieces and my ego was so inflated that I was surprised I could live with myself. :rolleyes:

But, since the "wall," my motivation has fallen to practically zero. And, consequently, I have to force myself to practice those 2 hours a day that I commited to. I could blame this all on some personal family problems, but I won't. I do have the ability to push everything out of my mind when at the piano.

Consequently, since I am afraid that I will fall away from the piano completely, I've bitten the bullet and decided to take piano lessons on a regular basis. To have someone to answer to each week, while not the best prod, is better than nothing. And, who knows...I might actually learn something new. :p

Again, another one of those one adages..."Nothing succeeds like success." The better you become, the more you want to become better. (Yikes...what a sentence and I'm a retired English teacher.)

My best to you all,
Kathleen (aka "stud-magnet")

#1044319 - 01/11/08 09:24 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Stud-magnet?

Beefcakes?

What's going on here???

#1044320 - 01/11/08 09:25 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey

\:D \:D \:D

#1044321 - 01/11/08 09:59 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LOL

#1044322 - 01/11/08 10:17 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
TonyB Offline

Loc: Twin Cities
Hi all:

I should be posting my practice time more frequently, but I don't really put that much time into reading this (or any other site) as maybe I "should". With limited time to practice, I tend to spend my doing that rather than posting about it. If my time frees up a bit, I will definitely spend a bit more time here. \:\)

As for motivation, I still think that if a person struggles with getting him or herslef to sit down and practice (assuming s/he has the time to do so in the first place), then maybe this isn't the pursuit that captures your heart and interest, and it may be time to re-evaluate what you are doing and why. It is one thing to be interested in playing piano, and another to REALLY want to. I have seen this when teaching guitar. Maybe the teaching style of the teacher or self-study materials is not really suitable to your style. Maybe you are not learning the style that got you fired up about the piano in the first place. Or, maybe the piano is not the priority that you hoped it would be, now that you have had the chance to give it a shot.

This stuff is not always the most comfortable to look into. but, as George Leonard talks about in his book "Mastery", "the mat (piano) is where you come face to face with your REAL motivations".

Tony

#1044323 - 01/11/08 01:18 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Even the most motivated pianists have their off seasons. I don't think an occasional reluctance to practice should cause one to question one's vocation. Even Liszt once quit for two years. As for logging one's practice time - I think the perhaps 30 seconds it takes me to put it in each day is time exceedingly well spent.

#1044324 - 01/11/08 01:50 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
TonyB Offline

Frycek:

I think that interpreting what I said as being addressed to "an occasional reluctance to practice" is a bit exrtreme, and not at all what I was addressing.

So, I apologize for any misunderstanding I may have created here. Hopefully this post clears it up.

Tony

#1044325 - 01/11/08 02:17 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

--deleted in the interest of harmony on the forum - -

#1044326 - 01/11/08 03:27 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
Gabe Racz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
I tried to register to add my (paltry) practice time to the cause (and really to track it more than anything else). But the server tells me my name is not on the list, is there some sort of waiting period (sort of like for handgun purchases) or something? Or have I done something terribly, terribly wrong in registering?

#1044327 - 01/11/08 03:44 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
iftrue Offline

I don't know if I could stand the pressure of documenting practice, but I've been going like 6 hours a day, on top of a 21 credit hour uni load, haha.

I played a bunch when I was younger, but it really felt forced. Now, though, for whatever reason, I see piano as the ultimate technical and expressive challenge. For me, it's like the ultimate test of skill, knowledge, willpower, and endurance. I get lost playing, though. I'll just start, and keep playing for hours. I also try to get 30 minutes between classes when I can, but it's tough.

#1044328 - 01/11/08 03:56 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabe Racz:
I tried to register to add my (paltry) practice time to the cause (and really to track it more than anything else). But the server tells me my name is not on the list, is there some sort of waiting period (sort of like for handgun purchases) or something? Or have I done something terribly, terribly wrong in registering? [/b]
Did you check the box "I wish to add name to the list"?

#1044329 - 01/11/08 05:37 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
Gabe Racz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Triryche:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gabe Racz:
I tried to register to add my (paltry) practice time to the cause (and really to track it more than anything else). But the server tells me my name is not on the list, is there some sort of waiting period (sort of like for handgun purchases) or something? Or have I done something terribly, terribly wrong in registering? [/b]
Did you check the box "I wish to add name to the list"? [/b]
Yes, Still no joy. \:\(

#1044330 - 01/15/08 11:32 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i'm sorry girls, I may have to pull out as I really can't be going on the computer every single day to update this list, I should really be concentrating on my practise and theory.

sorry \:o

#1044331 - 01/15/08 01:56 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
You don't have to update every day, right? I update my practice time every few days.
Yesterday I barely made it to the piano at 11:40pm coming from late meeting with client... If not for MOYD, I'd have gone straight to bed, but went to the piano instead... Great stimulus \:\)

#1044332 - 01/15/08 03:10 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I don't update it everyday, I usually go in the next day and do it.

don't drop out amelia, just write down your times and when you can enter them do so. Pweeety pwease? \:D

#1044333 - 01/15/08 04:27 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

alright then. I'll only key in practise times when i'm free then.

thanks, it's nice to know that i'm wanted

#1044334 - 01/15/08 04:43 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amelialw, you are an inspiration. Please log when you can. The ladies need you!!

#1044335 - 01/16/08 12:13 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
While it's a lot of fun watching hopinmad, ameliaw and Frycek battle it out up top, I also want the three of you to please be careful and try to not hurt yourselves. This is meant to be fun and motivational, not suicidal and self-destructive.

Go XY people!

Ted (languishing in eighth place)

#1044336 - 01/16/08 02:02 AM Re: Come on DUDES!
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

haha, don't worry, I won't hurt myself.

if you check my practise log, some days I really cool it down *grins*

#1044337 - 01/16/08 01:36 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Ted, I thought your post truly well-meaning ... Until I read that cheer for your fellow YX folk. Did you think we wouldn't notice? ;\)

Amelia, the link to your Web site doesn't work. (Edit the stuff after ".com" and your home page comes up fine.) And feel free to update your log whenever you can/want ... as long as it's before midnight at the end of the month!

Go, XXers![/b]

#1044338 - 01/16/08 02:09 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
TonyB Offline

Hi all:

I update my practice log on the weekend. The problem for me is that even though, as one person pointed out, it only takes about 30 seconds to update one entry daily, I tend to get sidetracked into reading the forums. I need to spend that time in the evenings playing piano, so I read forums during some time on the weekends and from work when waiting for a compile to complete.

Anyway, I seem to get in an hour a day in half hour sessions, but am working to expand that during weekdays. I am usually able to put in half hour in the morning before work, and want to get at least another hour at night. I realize everybody is different in how "natural" they are in learning piano, and for me it takes closer to two hours a day for me to be making progress, rather than simply "treading water". Maybe others here can make real progress in less daily time than that.

For me, I am working hard to master the physical aspects of the instrument (i.e. being able to "stride" my left hand naturally while playing other stuff in the right, and being able to switch between left hand styles within a song, and that sort of thing). I am confident it will come in time, just as I did get to the point where I could play what I want on the guitar, but like the guitar, it takes me a sustained focused effort to get there.

Tony

#1044339 - 01/16/08 02:28 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ok, the link works now

#1044340 - 01/16/08 03:59 PM Re: Come on DUDES!
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB:
Hi all:

I update my practice log on the weekend. The problem for me is that even though, as one person pointed out, it only takes about 30 seconds to update one entry daily, I tend to get sidetracked into reading the forums. [/b]
Create a shortcut to the practice log on your desk top and you won't even have to even go near the temptations of the forum. ;\)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning a piece under a deadline, good results?
by ChopinLives81
Today at 10:05 PM
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
Today at 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
Today at 09:12 PM
Screw stringer parts needed
by tenspan
Today at 08:58 PM
You must like every major composer
by JoelW
Today at 07:32 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (angga888, anotherscott, accordeur, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1337 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158430 Topics
2326606 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission