Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1044662 - 04/04/05 11:23 AM Bad practice - your opinion?
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
Do any of you encounter days when, no matter what you try, you flop? I have them from time to time, and today is one of those times...actually, it's the first time I've had what I'd term a rotten practice in months.

Things committed to memory are gone, fingerings meticulously worked out in the past are stumbling blocks, focus on the score when you have it half memorized seems impossible.

What do you do? Do you chalk it up to a bad day and stop, or do you slog onward, even though everything you try sucks? I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to practice when everything you do undermines confidence and weeks of work.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1044663 - 04/04/05 11:32 AM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
I had a lesson like that once. Everything I played or did was horrible. I was making mistakes I never make, or hadn't made for weeks. Finally we just stopped and started talking about music theory stuff. Which was quite interesting and worthwhile also, so it wasn't a total loss.

I'm hardly in the category of experienced pianists here, but when I have a day like that, I just chalk it up to a bad day and stop. It's too frustrating to keep playing if everything sucks! Thank goodness this hasn't happened to me very often. At least where I suck more than usual!

I'd be interested though in hearing what other people do when this happens to them.

#1044664 - 04/04/05 12:01 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Yes!

Stop and come back later when your head is in the game. And it's usually better when you come back; the suckiness magically disappears!

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1044665 - 04/04/05 12:51 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
Waterfall Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Yep. Chalk it up. Go on a walk. Do something else.

If you do decide to slog onward, then make small goals: focus on a single measure, or a single couple of measures. Something that will be manageable, even if you aren't playing well for the moment.

#1044666 - 04/04/05 12:53 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
Ermo Offline

I'm with AdagioM: stop slogging away at it, and when you come back (which for me would be the next day), somehow miraculously the stuff that was giving you trouble is much improved.

I have always assumed, however, that trying to slog through it is an integral part of the process. In other words, I give my whole practice routine the old college try before hanging it up for the day.

#1044667 - 04/04/05 02:05 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

As suggested, I did stop. I may try again after dinner. Hubby wants to watch the basketball game; I don't.

Here's another question: how many of you can't or won't practice if there is anyone else around to hear your efforts? I usually practice when I'm alone and rarely after Improv gets home from work.

I feel like I've thrown away an opportunity to get in a good practice today, even though I wasn't having much success.

As Scarlett said, tomorrow's another day.

#1044668 - 04/04/05 02:14 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
 Quote:
Originally posted by plays88skeys:

Here's another question: how many of you can't or won't practice if there is anyone else around to hear your efforts? I usually practice when I'm alone and rarely after Improv gets home from work.

I feel like I've thrown away an opportunity to get in a good practice today, even though I wasn't having much success.

As Scarlett said, tomorrow's another day. [/b]
I can practice with family listening; we're all used to hearing each other practice various instruments (guitar, piano, sax). But I don't practice if people other than family are in the house.

Scarlett also said, "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." Oh, wait, that's the pumpkin cookie thread!
\:D

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1044669 - 04/04/05 02:23 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
It's just my husband and I, and I really don't like to practice when he's in the room, although I have a few times. He usually goes in to the bedroom when I'm practicing so he can watch TV in there, or play his trumpet. I've probably mentioned this before on this forum but the piano is in the living room, which is the only TV hooked up to cable. So if he wants to watch something on cable, and I want to practice, we're stuck in there at the same time. He always says he doesn't mind, and I'm sure he doesn't, but I feel kind of funny plunking away when he's watching a movie or something. The ideal thing is for him to be playing his trumpet when I'm practicing, that way he don't bother each other. It probably does both the dog and the cats however!

#1044670 - 04/04/05 02:49 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
ChickGrand Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest U.S.
 Quote:
Originally posted by plays88skeys:
Do any of you encounter days when, no matter what you try, you flop? I have them from time to time, and today is one of those times...[/b]
I have those days, too. Those days are totally disconcerting with things memorized and played literally 1000s of times vaporized and non-existent. Once it becomes clear it's truly one of those, I usually write off the whole day, but I have found that if I come back to it hours later, sometimes I can end the day with a good practice even the same day.

#1044671 - 04/04/05 03:09 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i guess that everyone would get a bad day like that. in that case, it's better not to force yourself at piano (because it would be useless) rather to walk away or take a break.

#1044672 - 04/04/05 04:15 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Yes, that definitely happens...but life goes on, be cool and do better next day, or if that happens a lot, considering take a 2-3 days break for not practicing.

#1044673 - 04/04/05 06:18 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I have practice times when nothing goes right. But it's always when I'm tired, like last night and tonight ($%@ daylight savings!

A tired dog is a good dog.

#1044674 - 04/04/05 07:19 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Just heard that Plays88keys has a husband... is now off to throw himself under a piano truck...

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#1044675 - 04/04/05 07:45 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Michael,

Missed you! Good to see you posting again.

psssst: Save the truckdriver some permanent psychological scars and stay on the sidewalk...besides, I'm probably too old for you... ;\)

#1044676 - 04/05/05 06:42 AM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
Ratdart Offline

Loc: Florida
I think one of these days calls for some Pumpkin Oatmeal cookie things.

#1044677 - 04/05/05 12:33 PM Re: Bad practice - your opinion?
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
Agreed. Cookies are definitely in order on days like this!

Quote:
Do any of you encounter days when, no matter what you try, you flop?
This happens to me periodically. It is rather demoralizing. I just stop and give up for the day, having learned that slogging on just doesn't work for me, b/c it inevitably makes me more frustrated and leads me to thinking bad thoughts about piano and music!!!

Quote:
Here's another question: how many of you can't or won't practice if there is anyone else around to hear your efforts?
As with SAS, it is just my husband and me. Well, we have a dog, too, but she usually trots outside when I start playing... (everybody's a critic these days!). I don't mind playing with my husband is around, though I sometimes feel bad b/c I figure it must be disturbing him. He does have an office, though, and can shut the door, which he sometimes does.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
Who's Online
83 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, 36251, Alux, 22 invisible), 1106 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158485 Topics
2327431 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission