2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
N.E.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Remember how I said I'm listening to the songs from Disney Channel's "High School Musical" Songs? (sidenote: Help me get those music sheet <cries>) Yeah, I found out what I want to do, and can phrase them in a perfect sentence. It would be a good idea to listen to a slow song while reading this (Might I suggest "When there was me and you" from High School Musical.)

Ok, after reading numerous posts, I found out what I want to do, but do need help. Keep in mind, I am a senior in high school, just beginning the 2nd semester (almost college time, City college that is.) I live in California, 12 hours away from Las Vegas. Ok, I read somewhere that the writer of one of his/her topics said that he goes to this bar where he can request any song from a guy named Big Earnie (btw, what is a fake music book). I remember when I was a kid, a guy played the piano outside of a buffet, where people can request songs. My mother asked for a song, and he knew it right away (it made a believer out of me, because she is my family member and didn't expect him to know it.) Also, in High School Disney, the "pro" teenage piano player asked "What key?" does the performer want it in. That is just simply amazing to change the whole song by changing the key without the notes.

Then I heard another guy say that he minored in college the Piano. Wow, it made me think. What more if it was a major? It's scary putting your guts and soul into something knowing that you could fail (I mean, come on. A major? Let alone a minor?)

Also, this has to do with finding a good teacher. ONe that will teach you these things.

So maybe later, in 4-5 years, I'll be playing getting lost in the music. But how? I want to be on a professional level.

So this is my American Dream, but have no idea how to achieve it. I want to play Vegas, I don't need a girl or wife too early in my career goals. Did you ever find a song (with words, not necessarily the piano) that touches you? It is spiritual, and can easily replace a relationship. So, I want to be able to play Vegas (outside of the buffet--but your still inside the building however) and to be able to ask what song? And to be able to improvise while not really knowing the song but playing by ear and nobody will know the difference, and to be able to make a living by those tips they put in a cup by the piano, to ask "What Key" and to play it with the key they ask it to be. I don't know how to achieve this.

It's scary actually, but it's a dream. Oh and the type of music is Love songs, and Pop. For an example of Pop, Listen to the tracks on "High School Musical." For Love songs, see Avant and his songs "Get Away" and "I wanna be close" and "Everything about you." I'm not really a classical guy, and don't know who to talk about my kind of taste in music because I always hear of Beethoven and I'm not sure who else, which seems out of my league.

Can you please map out a plan for this type of wishful thinking of a dream? What do I do? Where do I go? Then when My American Dream comes true, I take my tips to the hotel, and rent a room at the hotel where I performed, maybe like "The Flamingo" or even "Circus Circus." Take a dip at the pool. And most important, maybe even have my family visist me and enjoy ourselves, you know?

N
N.E.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Oh yeah, to add to that, I want to be able to go in my hotel room, compose my own songs as well and all that. Have the bell boy bring me an ice cream sundae or something.

Also, when I take a look at myself in the mirror, I like my over look, because I will always look like a "kid." I look like a "kid" not an adult, and I want that because even though I am now a young adult, I will always be a young-kid at heart.

So thank you all for listening to me, and are looking forward to all of your always lovely replies.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
PianoMagic.com was made for you NES.

Here are a few threads you can read through. Do a search for pianomagic and you may find more:

Let\'s talk about playing by ear

How to play by ear?

Pianomagic - Key of C

Bob

N
N.E.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
PianoMagic.com was made for you NES.

Here are a few threads you can read through. Do a search for pianomagic and you may find more:

Let\'s talk about playing by ear

How to play by ear?

Pianomagic - Key of C

Bob
Is this website reliable? What do you think of my Dream? Is it way to unorthodox to play the piano by ear, and become a professional at it--only to play music by ear, but when given a music sheet you can't play it? Will I be marked as a fake pianist?

There are so many little tidbits I have to actually do all this research. I've been doing so much research that I haven't even played my piano because I don't want to do something I don't know what I'm aiming for. But very big thanks for that site recommendation, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Mind telling me a little more about the subject?

N
N.E.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Omgzor, so many things running through my mind I forgot a very very important thing I hope you guys can clear up for me.

Remember how I said I like pop? Let's take the lyrics from High School Musical's "Breaking Free" for example. Is it possible to compose the lyrics with a melody, then create the accomodating piano piece to match it? Like omgzor. If this PianoMagic.com is for real, sign me up man. But am I taking the easy way out, or just what's best for my goals that I want? I mean, if this is such a reliable website, why doesn't everyrone just go there? Why is that it's "the website just for me?" I hope this doesn't make me take the easy way out, because I really need some direction right now.

Thank you guys for your support and kindness, and expect it always to be returned when I replay to your posts. <3

N
N.E.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Omg, wow, I just clicked the link that you posted--it was a thread topic about this. It sounds really really promising. One of the guys even took my words out of my mouth like I answered my own question, saying that if you are the type who likes pop-ish type of music, and such and just playing what pops into your head, then PianoMusic was the way to go.

One thing, I went to PianoMusic.com and all of a sudden, a voice pops out, and it was the teacher guy. It sounded kind of weird because he said he will get to know me in our 12th month experience together on a deep side or something. It was kind of creepy. But thank you so much. I hope I'm not some sort of Guinea Pig, lol.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"Is this website reliable?"

Absolutely!

"Is it way to unorthodox to play the piano by ear, and become a professional at it--only to play music by ear, but when given a music sheet you can't play it?"

No. There are many, many professional piano players who can't read music. One of the most famous was Irving Berlin. Nevertheless, there is nothing stopping you from learning to read sheet music as well.

"Is it possible to compose the lyrics with a melody, then create the accomodating piano piece to match it?"

Yes. That's what it means to play by ear. You take a melody that you know and you're able to arrange and play the bass and harmony on the spot.

"But am I taking the easy way out, or just what's best for my goals that I want?"

It's not the "easy" way. It is *a* way. From your description of your goals, you want to play piano by ear. Mike Anderson is a professional piano player and his website is one way to learn how to play by earn and eventually turn pro if you want.

You can also learn to play by ear on your own or from a teacher. The former will take a LONG time and the latter, if you can even find a teacher who can play by ear and can teach it, will be a bit more expensive.

No matter which way you go, it's going to take several years before you will be ready to play gigs as a piano player.

"I just clicked the link that you posted--it was a thread topic about this."

I actually posted three links to three separate relevant topics. Read all three.

Did you watch the videos posted on the pianomagic website? Those are actual students with from one to two years experience. Seaside Lee had two years experience at the time of the video and is preparing himself to eventually play professionally as you would like to do.

"I mean, if this is such a reliable website, why doesn't everyrone just go there? Why is that it's "the website just for me?"

Not everyone wants to play by ear. Some who would like to play by ear aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn or they think that it's not possible to learn; that one is either born able to play by ear or will never be able to.

There is music that cannot be played by ear and must be played from sheet music. If all you wanted to play was mostly classical music and maybe a few tunes at Christmas time, then learning to play by ear *might* not be worth it. However, nearly all popular music can be played by ear.

"I really need some direction right now."

Nobody can give you direction. You have to do that for yourself. Sign posts can be provided though. wink

Hi NES, I hope you achieve your American Dream!!!
Since I live in Las Vegas, I'll be looking for your name on a marquee some day soon the way you're going smile .

I'm a beginner too and my tip to you is to take it slow. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. Learn the basics and build on those, before you know it you will play well, but it won't happen overnight. You seem very zealous and gung-ho which means you have a lot of drive to succeed. I had to smile at your mention that you may even stay at the CircusCircus Hotel. It's really low budget so set you sights higher, let's say the Bellagio or Wynn.

Good luck to you and I enjoy reading your posts.
Petra

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission