2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
saw Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a few questions regarding the approach that would be best for me at my current level. Also, there is an apparent conflict between what I want to do and what my teacher thinks is best for me. Possibly, a classic case of "my eyes are bigger than my stomach...". How would you say that in Piano terms?

I am a 50 year-old male, not that that should matter. I have been playing about 3 years, self-taught at first, then with a teacher last two. Have just finished going through Alfred's all-in-one adult book, level two. Going slowly, I must admit, because of other life activities (work, parenting, volunteering, home maintence, you get the idea). I also have a copy of the Piano Handbook, have been reading it and going through the first few sections. I really LIKE the organic and seemingly rich approach to learning that is presented. Also, the use of well-known pieces, both classical and blues/jazz that, to me, are both musical and motivating. In Alfred, I just finished with the basic version of the Canon in D, and found this satisfying to learn. Thus, I am tempted to abandon the more traditional methods books at this point, and just stick with the Piano Handbook, really sinking my teeth into it. My instructor, to the contrary, thinks the book is too advanced, and that the material presented therein can't be approached until at least after Alfred, level 3. I really like my teacher, but I feel her approach seems somewhat stiff, methodical and traditional. My plan, at this point is to go ahead with finishing up the Alfred series, while also getting into the Handbook as much as I can make time for. My main questions are:

1) If I am really motivated by the approach and the pieces in the "Handbook", might I progress faster (and with greater passion) if I just stick with the this book only?

2) Will finishing up the Alfred series slow me down, giving me too many basic pieces to work on?

3) Is it preferable to finish with the Alfred to at least get a solid base?

Not asking for a clear path, as I know it's somewhat subjective and personal. Just thought others might have experienced similar concerns.

I'm also a little bit frustrated. I know I want and need to enjoy and revel in the process, but my progress seems slow and plodding, and I would like to get to the point where I can just sit down and play a few pieces. Practice time is certainly a constraint. I sometimes wonder if I'm just being unrealistic, that maybe I just need to admit that I don't have time. A little sad, but possibly realistic.

I'm not totally clear on where I want to go with my playing. I'm interested in classical, but also very intrigued with going the route of jazz/blues/ragtime. I am also thinking of getting "Improvising Blues Piano" by Richards, but then I'd really be going crazy. I don't think I need to be clear just yet about my ultimate direction.

I really enjoy reading all the great posts. Maybe I can get more involved. Thanks to all of you for your contributions to a great dialogue.

Any feedback would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Stan

Celebrate and enjoy the journey!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm 51, male, it doesn't matter, with the same time constraints, but still manage at least a few minutes just about every day.

I started (from just about scratch) 15 months ago with the first Alfred's All-In-One. I thought it was a good book for where I was at the time - ground zero.

I found the Humphries Piano Handbook about 3 or 4 months later.

I think these books are really two different things and I think they can complement each other.

I went through the Alfred's Level 1 in 4 or 5 months and then spent a couple months going back and reviewing. During this time I was also going through the Piano Handbook and spending some time with the easier pieces.

As you know the Handbook includes a some historical reading related to the piano and composers. It also has some advanced music that is not for the beginner. I found all of this interesting reading, and as a beginner I think it helped me establish a perspective of where I was and where I might go. If you see nothing but Alfred's Level 1 you'll have a limited perspective.

I have Alfred's Level 2 now and I'm working my way through it. I also have a pile of 'How to Play Piano' books and sheet music books full of sheet music that is too advanced for me at the moment.

I think there is some real danger that you can waste time trying to play music that is just way too difficult. I have certainly spent a lot of time doing this and have probably wasted some time.

However I also think there is some value in stretching every now and then to see where you stand and also to have some fun.

I remember reading about speed reading techniques a long time ago, and I believe one of the things they recommend is that the first thing you should do with a text book is to scan it quickly front to back. One of the reasons you do this is to help you understand the scope of the project and I think this understanding is important to me in learning to play the piano.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
saw Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks very much for your response, Copper. I appreciate your comments, and think that we seem to be on similar wavelengths on these questions.

thanks, again. Take care.
Stan

Celebrate and enjoy the journey!
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i like the Piano Handbook, which is the best instruction book i have seen and wished that i could have bought this one when i first started. i guess that as an adult, some of us just like such organized approach to piano learning, rather than Alfred series. i only went through one basic instruction book and then did much of reading on techniques or music from other books, and find this way i learn faster and more enjoyable.

but certainly, it depends on individual. some people like the slow and step by step approach, such as going through Alfred series, but some (such as me) like Piano Handbook type of approach and feel more comfortable learning this way. but piano playing has no short cut, no matter what learning path you choose, and there're a lot of practicing, reading, learning and experimenting involved in the process...

H
H
I am a 53 year old female in the Center of Book III of Alfred. Have to say it is rather enjoyable. However I have always added other music in which I am interested. Currently adding a little Bach and a little Beatles. I find I like the structure of Alfred III. Just for a different perspective.

D
D
Stan,
I used the "Handbook" solely (while incorporating Chang's practice methods) and I had no teacher and no music background. I memorized every song up to the Mozart K545 in about nine months. This worked well for me--but I practiced hard everyday. The book moves along fast (which I liked) and there is not much "hand holding". I did not practice all of the scale work, but did most of the other exercises. In summary, I liked it a lot as it has a tremendous amount of information and builds quickly. I was able to play intermediate level songs with no piano background. It will work for you in my opinion only if you are very self-motivated and totally committed to it. Otherwise go with Alfred (and/or use the Handbook as a reference).

P.S.,The CD is great too
Hope this helps-let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission