Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
100 registered (accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, A Guy, 34 invisible), 1460 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1045462 - 09/03/06 02:28 AM Mozart d minor fantasy question
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I admit that my rhythm reading skills are lacking. :bow, scrape:

Anyway, why are there so many notes in measure 34 (and others like it)? They don't add up! Am I just supposed to play them all without knowing how they count out?

http://pdxknitterati.com

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1045463 - 09/03/06 02:52 AM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
That was one of the compositions I learned when I was lucky enough to have a good teacher. I was taught to play those sections Presto but evenly, without counting them out.

My copy is the Kalmus Urtext, so I assume that the Presto is Mozart's indication of the speed.

There are three runs on that order, and the third one is marked "rallent," and I was taught to slow down as one neared the end of that run.

Interesting that you are working on it, as it is one that I have decided to resurect after having had it lie domant for quite a number of years.

#1045464 - 09/03/06 03:32 AM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
I'm also working on this and noticed the same thing (ie the absence of bar markings etc)in the presto runs. I'm sure you've also noticed that at thefirst and second runs the tempo changes from slow (adagio) in the previous passage to very quick (presto)for the run and then immediately back again to slow.
You couldn't possibly count it out because it's entirely up to you how quickly to count, I suppose a bit like trying to count out a glissando. I think the presto runs are more of a dramatic flourish, and it is the drama that counts not the rhythmic accuracy of the statement.
I just play them as fast as my fingers will let me without tripping up.
The third run is a little more tricky but I get the impression that the rhythm is also quite elastic since, in my score, there are 2 pause marks in it and immediately afterwards the score is marked "a tempo".

#1045465 - 09/03/06 11:59 AM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's not that difficult if you break down the run passage (presto). so, don't let many notes fool you. it's in very organized pattern sequence, and you can use the same fingering for each pattern. so the point is to break down patterns first and then find the best fingering for each division. actually all 3 runs have the same idea. once you got each segment down, it's very easy to play the whole run fast, as it's composition of all small patterns.

#1045466 - 09/03/06 03:23 PM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I see that the notes all "make sense" and don't have a problem with that. It was just the absence of bar lines and all those notes in one measure!

I've just started this piece, and part of starting a piece for me is looking far patterns, analyzing the harmonic structure, and counting out the rhythms. That measure blew up my routine!

Gaby, I'm in Portland, too. Do you take lessons? I'm not taking lessons right now, but will probably go back after I get home from Sonata piano camp later this month.

http://pdxknitterati.com

#1045467 - 09/03/06 04:37 PM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Indeed, those runs are outside of the piece in a sense. They are extended ornaments (or very short written out cadenzas!) that are transition elements.

When my son learned the piece, his teacher ....aw, heck, I'll just cut and paste what I said in another thread

Quote:
About two years ago he made a real jump into the kind of literature that a pianist might keep forever. He learned Mozart's Fantasy in D minor. Many or most of you may know the piece, but for those who don't, it has three or four really wicked presto runs up (or down) most of the keyboard.

His teacher used a very effective device to get him to learn this piece thoroughly. She photocopied the piece and cut it up into chunks. The chunks were carefully selected. She wasn't just cutting it up into equally sized pieces. Each of these wicked runs was one chunk. The rest of the chunks were usually about two lines of music. They corresponded to a particular theme ...a set of phrases that made up a single musical idea.

She gave him one chunk at a time to learn. The bits she gave him were NOT sequential. He had no idea what the whole piece sounded like. I was under strict orders not to play the piece at home or to let him hear it or see it. [It's in my repertoire]

The first bit she gave him was one of those runs. He just took it apart as a set of notes. The first week was just slow going to firmly memorize a pattern. Once the pattern was memorized, he began to raise the tempo. It's amazing how quickly you can learn something seemingly impossible if the only part of a piece you play for the week is that one small chunk.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1045468 - 09/03/06 05:19 PM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
those presto runs are in their own tempo, which have nothing to do with the rest. so, you can think of each run as a separated section in a different tempo, just like a cadenza in a free improvisary form.

#1045469 - 09/03/06 08:18 PM Re: Mozart d minor fantasy question
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Adagio. No, I am not taking any lessons now. Just working on my own. I had lessons many many years ago and am riding on that knowlege now.
I might resume lessons down the road, but right now I am busy regaining my skills, reworking old pieces, and learning some new ones.

How exciting for you to be going to a piano sonata camp. Be sure to tell us all about it when you get back. Gaby Tu

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159982 Topics
2349343 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission