Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1045665 - 01/05/09 07:59 PM Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
princeton3 Offline

Loc: Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hello all,

I was just wondering what student's who finish the Alfred's All In One Course Books 2 or 3 consider themselves, e.g., advanced beginnner, beginning intermediate or advanced intermediate? I've read on this forum that people have finished book 1 in 3-6 months, book 2 seems to take approximately 1 year, and book three about 1 year. So I was wondering what the level of skill is upon completion of either book?

Thanks

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1045666 - 01/05/09 08:13 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
It has taken me about a year for each book. I've been taking lessons for about four years. I am in the middle of Alfred's Book 3 and my instructor considers me as an intermediate. I think I am somewhere past beginner intermediate but not quite to advanced, not by a long shot.

#1045667 - 01/05/09 09:53 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
princeton3 Offline

Loc: Spotsylvania, Virginia
Ok. That is good to know!! I was beginning to think that once you complete the Alfred's series you are still at the beginner level. So did you take lessons for a couple years before starting Alfred's?

#1045668 - 01/05/09 10:03 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I'm in the back of book 3 and will be there for an extended time doing some ambitious pieces as well as cleaning up others earlier in the book. I still go back to some stuff in books 1 and 2. I've been at it over two years but practice 2-3 hours a day, everyday. I feel like I am a late beginner. My teacher just recently had me get a book of intermediate pieces though...

Also note, I'm very much a hack and probably have to work twice as hard as the average person...

#1045669 - 01/05/09 10:15 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Hi Princeton3,

First we would have to agree on what levels we are using. And what intermediate means. That's not as easy as it sounds. One person's intermediate may be another person's beginners level.

Second, there is a pretty big increase in difficulty between the main part of Alfred's book 3 and the challenge pieces.

If by levels you mean the early elementary, elementary, late elementary, early intermediate, etc markings that publishers put on books, then I would tend to say that finishing all of Alfred's except the challenge section puts you somewhere around early intermediate. The challenge pieces are roughly intermediate, but they may take more experience to play them musically.

If, however, you are planing to eventually play something like Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, then you are probably still taking baby steps.

Hope this helps.

Rich

#1045670 - 01/05/09 10:36 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
If, however, you are planing to eventually play something like Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, then you are probably still taking baby steps.
Rich [/b]
What ever do you mean?

Just pop in the CD and hit 'play'--you are now playing Liszt's Transcendental Etudes \:\)
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1045671 - 01/05/09 10:37 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Comparing the books to one of the 'graded lists' that someone wrote on this website, by the time you finish the books, you are around late level 3/early level 4 (according to the ABRSM test, methinks).
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1045672 - 01/06/09 09:04 AM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Princeton,

I think it all depends on your ability once you reach the end of book 3. Also your teacher has a major role in helping you develop.

I think adding supplemental pieces other than arrangements might help or speed up the process a little.

I got half way through Alfreds Adult all in one before we abandoned it completely. My teacher prefers original pieces and we've been doing this for a year now. My teacher just doesn't like method books and arrangements and although I wanted to continue with Alfred's I'm glad I trusted her and let it go. It's a different world going from arrangements with tons of chords to original pieces.

I'll hit my 3 year mark in a couple months due to the 2 months I went without a teacher when I was between teachers.

I'm by no means talented or gifted and I have a long way to go but I'm playing Intermediate pieces ranging from level 3 to level 6. The level 5's and 6's are classified as such and I'm not sure why because they seem more like level 3-4 pieces. One example is Chopins Waltz in A minor and Brahms Waltz 39. no 15.

There are some people with above average talent and I would say even gifted who achieve far greater levels in 1 or 2 years. Two who come to mind are Z32 and Theowne both members of this forum.

I think levels are a good guide line but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket as Dragonplayer was explaining being particular to each person.

Good luck!

#1045673 - 01/06/09 10:18 AM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
rodmichael Offline

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by princeton3:
Hello all,

... I've read on this forum that people have finished book 1 in 3-6 months, book 2 seems to take approximately 1 year, and book three about 1 year...

Thanks [/b]
Hmmm. I'm near completion of Book 1, probably about 6 weeks to go. It will have taken me about 13 months. So I must really be slow. However, about 6 weeks ago my teacher told me (unsolicited) "you don't sound like a beginner anymore." That was highly encouraging. I guess she was referring to the musicality of the piece, "Why am I Blue," I was playing at the time.
Zoom Q3

#1045674 - 01/06/09 01:28 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by princeton3:
Hello all,

I was just wondering what student's who finish the Alfred's All In One Course Books 2 or 3 consider themselves, e.g., advanced beginnner, beginning intermediate or advanced intermediate?

So I was wondering what the level of skill is upon completion of either book?

Thanks [/b]
Actually we just mostly consider or think of ourselves as "piano students", which is an on-going, perhaps never-ending, pursuit of mostly satisfying joy - and seldom think about what skill level we're at (too busy practicing and struggling to sound somewhat musical).

And when we finish each successive Book in the instructional series we consider ourselves to be (1) very proud of ourselves, (2) extremely happy about our accomplishment, (3) mostly satisfied with our progress so far, (4) eager to move on to more challenging and musically entertaining works and (5) looking forward to sharing our playing skills and the trials and tribulations and joys and conquests of our journey with those who care.

While it's sometimes tempting and somewhat interesting to speculate on your pianistic "level" at any given point, it's only of limited value and essentially of little use because it's (1) always changing little by little and hopefully for the better, (2) ambiguous even as a relative measure because no two people who reach the same level or stage such as finishing a certain Book will be equal in skill or musicality, and (3) no matter how many skill levels you break the whole piano learning process into (e.g., 9 - beginning beginner, intermediate beginner, advanced beginner, beginning intermediate, . . .) there are many more actual gradations than that, so who can really say where you are at any given time or when you move from one level toi the next (or whether or not some people actually regress or move backwards at certain times).

My advice - don't bother thinking to much about what level you're at - just do the best you can at each stage and enjoy the music!

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1045675 - 01/06/09 03:54 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

If you went through all three books, you'd
be at about intermediate level. However,
the first book in any adult course, it
seems, is deliberately designed to provide
a student with enough of the basics
so that he could go in any direction
from then on. This is because many students
will become impatient with what they see as
the only slightly more difficult pieces
that the second book continues with and
will want to go in their own direction
from then on, whatever that might be.

So a student might skip books 2 and 3
and get the same experience in material
that interests him, learned on the job,
so to speak. That is, a student is
not going to be forever damaged because
he didn't play every single piece in the
second and third books.

#1045676 - 01/06/09 08:49 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
Hi Princeton 3. I actually started taking piano lessons using another book,the name escapes me and saw the Alfred books in a music store. I purchased the first one, then the other two on line, showed them to my instructor and that's what I've been using.

I really like to think that I am " a work in progress" and am just elated that I am able to play just about anything:-)

#1045677 - 01/08/09 11:37 PM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Derek Lee Offline

Loc: Malaysia
wats the diff between Alferd All-in-One and Alferd Course Book?

#1045678 - 01/09/09 09:11 AM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I've never used this series, but from
what I gather, the Alfred's Adult All-in-One
Course has more theory and technical
studies in it than the Alfred's Basic
Adult Piano Course. And it's also
almost twice as expensive, which is why
most people simply go with the basic
course. If you bought the basic course
and are worried that you're missing out
on something because you didn't get the
all-in-one course, don't bother worrying
about it. By the end of even the basic course's
book 1, you'd have enough to go in any
direction on your own if you wanted to.

#1045679 - 01/09/09 11:10 AM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
The Alfred Adult Piano Course is actually three books, a lesson book, a theory book and a technique book. The Alfred Adult All-in-One book is the lesson book with some (not all) of the theory and technique stuff added in. That's the book I'm using, and I think most of the people in this thread.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1045680 - 01/10/09 05:51 AM Re: Level of those who complete Alfred's Adult All In One Books 2 or 3
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
John Frank

"(4) eager to move on to more challenging and musically entertaining works"

That applied before I was half through Alfred Book 1. Particularly the musically entertaining part. I dip into Book 2 from time to time, but not often.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
10/21/14 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
10/21/14 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Who's Online
108 registered (anamnesis, accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1388 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158403 Topics
2326200 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission