2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 5 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I know this topic has come up before, but not enough for my liking!

Mikrokosmos is my current project, and I'd like to open up discussion on it.

What I hope for: general opinions, likes and dislikes, favorite pieces, pieces you're working on, basically a general discussion on the series plus a kind of study group atmosphere.

Mikrokosmos is not everyone's cup of tea; a lot of the pieces are weird or just downright frightening. But, really, that's why I love it!

I love: both the pervasive and surprising bouts of atonality; the folk melodies and folk rhythms (he gets you started on 5/4 and changing time signatures *very* early); the often bizarre/lovely but always helpful exercises at the back of the book; the aggressive, hands-bouncing-around-the-piano exuberance many of the pieces encourage; the counterpoint practice - Mk is great for developing melodic left-hand playing; the way it challenges me musically and humanly. I can't get enough of it!

Okay, sometimes I just have to put it aside, but the experience is beyond description.

I do want to talk about pieces as I go along. However, right now I'm on #50, "Minuetto," which is pretty simple, and I don't have much to say. The D# adds a little humor. Like a guy in a powdered wig tripping over his boot straps at a ball.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi JoseHeno

The Mikrokosmos, apart from being interesting in themselves, have great value as sight reading exercises because they are progressive. My teacher recommended them for this reason.

You've encouraged me to re-discover them smile

Michael
B
B
Hey, I haven't started them yet but am hoping to play them over my break to get some sight reading done and after that study them. I'll probably check out the first 2, maybe 3, books but I now have a place to come to once I get started. laugh

Mikrokosmos is not everyone's cup of tea; a lot of the pieces are weird or just downright frightening. But, really, that's why I love it!
Hear, hear! One of my favorites used to be Perpetuum Mobile from Book 5, a slow and dissonant double trill type of thing. Fitted very well under my hand. Unfortunately I never found an audience that shared my appreciation of this piece. laugh

[Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Ok, first general question.

I was going back to review a few of the more recent pieces I have already moved on from, and I was struck by #48 "In Mixolydian Mode." I find it really hard to bring out the musicality in this one.

The 800-pound gorilla is, of course, the 5/4 time.

I don't have the same familiarity with 5/4 as I do with the more common ones. When I play 6/8, for example, without any thought, I naturally add stresses, lengthen and shorten certain beats, to give it a kind of "jig" feeling. What is a 5/4 feeling?

I know it's subjective, but comments would be welcome. Any examples on, say, youtube?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
JoseHeno,

I'm not sure if this will help or not. I'm not working through Mikrokosmos, but I do have a copy of it.

I know there is music written in 5/4 time, but the only one I know of is the Mission: Impossible theme. That piece has a rhythm that you can think of as 6/8 + 2/4. That is definitely not the rhythm in "In Mixolydian Mode".

I also think I've seen a posting by someone on the forums about some nationalistic music - maybe a national anthem even - that was written in 5/4 and played with almost a lilt or stutter.

Maybe try playing it as a 2/4 + 3/4 or 2+3/4 - that is strong week strong week week? Or try the reverse 3/4 + 2/4 or 3+2/4? Most of the music looks like it is written with the first idea in mind, but there are measures that would fit the second rhythm better.

Good luck,
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
This particular piece fits with a 2+3 feel for much of it. Other 5/4 pieces you may come across are Mars from The Planets by Holst (that's the one with the warlike rhythm diddly dum dum da-da dum throughout) and also the song "Try not to get worried" from Jesus Christ Superstar. Both of these fit the 3+2 feel better.

Du holde Kunst...
J
OP Offline
J
Yes, 2 + 3 sounds right to me for the parts that need this kind of treatment. Thanks, all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I came across this set browsing through music on www.naxos.com

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557821-22

A complete set of recordings of Mikrokosmos.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
C
C
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
I came across this set browsing through music on www.naxos.com

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.557821-22

A complete set of recordings of Mikrokosmos.

Rich
Also, this same recording is available on iTunes and...since many of the early pieces are less than 30 seconds long, you can hear many of these in full at the iTunes store without purchasing the files! wink

I have a burgeoning love-hate relationship with Bartók and this thread has inspired me to take up sight reading practice with the Mikrokosmos, so next time I'm in the music store I think I'll pick up the first book.

Thanks!

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by cscl:
I have a burgeoning love-hate relationship with Bartók and this thread has inspired me to take up sight reading practice with the Mikrokosmos, so next time I'm in the music store I think I'll pick up the first book.
Good idea. And if you want to move the relationship further along the love path, you might look at the 2-volume collection titled For Children. They're folksong arrangements, vol1 based on Hungarian tunes, vol2 on Slovakian. Boosey&Hawkes used to publish a selection from the 2 volumes called Musical Cameos. Some really great pieces - melodic, and fun to play.

Du holde Kunst...
C
C
Originally posted by currawong:
Originally posted by cscl:
[b]I have a burgeoning love-hate relationship with Bartók and this thread has inspired me to take up sight reading practice with the Mikrokosmos, so next time I'm in the music store I think I'll pick up the first book.
Good idea. And if you want to move the relationship further along the love path, you might look at the 2-volume collection titled For Children. They're folksong arrangements, vol1 based on Hungarian tunes, vol2 on Slovakian. Boosey&Hawkes used to publish a selection from the 2 volumes called Musical Cameos. Some really great pieces - melodic, and fun to play. [/b]
Moving along towards love was the idea! laugh

I've got a lot of easier Bartók pieces in two of the intermediate collections I play from and I've played a "Folk Dance" as part of my lessons about a year ago (this has a drumming base that was not a crowd pleaser with my regular audience--wife and kids--who have to listen to me through the whole process of "mastery" from assignment to polished completion.)

Sometimes I'm really taken by Bartók's music, sometimes I could take it or leave it, but I'm growing in fondness. We'll see how things go with Mikrokosmos.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission