2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Drooxy Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi everybody,

I am new on that forum so I briefly introduce myself:

I am a 42 years old french guy, living in the suburb of Paris and working as freelance in Information technology field.

I studied classical piano between the age of 8 and 13, then got fed up and gave up (causing a drama at home ! frown ).

So I bought a guitar to play - discretely in my bedroom - some folk music. Then I worked on some blues and rock'n roll accompaniment while I was singing - I needed to be looked at by girls at those times ! wink

Something like 10 years ago I acquired a Clavinova and came back to the piano. I also took some lessons with a teacher during almost one year. Again, I stopped and spent 5 or 6 years without opening a piano lid...

18 months ago I decided to buy an hybrid piano (Yamaha GT20) and started to work on some "piano bar" pieces but I quickly got fed up and switched to some Chopin pieces (I had not played much Chopin in the past although his music had always very much attracted - and moved - me !).

Now I have three pieces from Chopin that I can play satisfactorily (for me at least !) but that I try to keep on improving and that I would like to definitely be the begining of a repertoire !

Theses pieces are:

. Nocturne Opus 9 n°2
. Waltz Opus 64 n°1
. Waltz Opus posth. in A minor

The problem now is that I am getting - one more time in my life - in a period of low motivation... and, as I now know how it goes, I would like to avoid to dive again in another "no-piano-at-all" long time !

Maybe I should start some other styles of music... but Chopin makes me so happy !

I heard of the studies from Stephen Heller that would be a good preparation for those from Chopin - which are probably too hard for me at present ! (some information is also very welcome on that topic !).

In fact, I think I need a new pianistic challenge !

So, my question: what would you recommend to me so that I keep my motivation high ?

Thanks in advance !
Drooxy

PS: I know I should take a teacher but because of my professional activity I am not sure I will be regular enough to make him (and me !) happy ! confused

All the best !
Drooxy
Welcom Monsieur Drooxy --

You answered your question with a teacher. It gives you a track, feedback, guidance and hopefully inspiration.

If scheduling is a problem -- you can do what I do in the Summer -- lessons every two weeks. That way I have twice as long to work on pieces as during the year.

There may be other timing arrangements you can work out or others here might suggest.

2005 Steinway B
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Drooxy:
So, my question: what would you recommend to me so that I keep my motivation high ?
Yesterday my teacher gave me a short lecture on the idea of "bel canto" and he explained how Chopin made his students attend operas by Bellini to listen to the phrasing of the singers. This was the phrasing Chopin wanted to hear from his piano students.

Like you I have some learned some Chopin pieces on my own. With the benefit of a teacher for the past few weeks I have to say that I never learned these pieces at all and I am not yet ready to learn them. A real teacher will prepare you to learn such pieces and will explain to you their historical context in a way that will shape your preparation of each piece.

Get a real teacher. Get a better teacher than you think you deserve. It's the only strong motivation I have found.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The more I read some of these posts the more I'm thankful for the teacher I have. He's keeping me away from most of the Chopin pieces (and more advanced pieces) until I get the technique required to play them properly. The pieces we use are not just studies but pieces that incorporate what I need to develop these techniques. If I was learning on my own I'd crucify Chopin....of course I'm sure I will anyway but hopefully for not as long.....

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hi, Drooxy, i would guess that a French guy would be more interested in French classical music more, like Ravel or Debussy or even Saint-Seans. but, Chopin was half French anyway.

Chopin's music in general is more advanced (intermediate level at least), and one would get discouraged pretty much when playing his pieces. i only got through a couple of his preludes (easiest ones) not to mention some failed attempts at his etudes (even easy ones). so, it's the pretty common situation we are all in. what i would do in such a case is to find some other composers music to play now and then so that you don't get stuck on Chopin and loose your interest on playing. if i were you, i would find some small and charming pieces from Bach or Beethoven to work on, beside the Chopin pieces, so that i would get myself motivated all the time with different music.

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome, Drooxy! I know you were looking for advice. I don't really have much to offer other than suggesting that if Chopin makes you happy, then make sure it's a part of your life! Unfortunately, I am not "well read" enough to be able to offer suggestions for works by other composers to try. Perhaps you could pick up a book with a collection of works from a variety of composers.

As for lessons--you might be surprised what you can work out schedule-wise. I have a lesson whenever one of my teacher's other students cancel during a time that fits with my schedule. I usually end up having one lesson a month (though a couple times two months elapsed, which is definitely too long for me). This works well for me, as I, like you, already had a foundation having taken lessons for several years as a kid.

In any case, welcome back to piano! Enjoy!

What motivates you as a piano student is a very personal thing. A teacher can provide some motivation, but most of the motivation (95%) has to come from within. You must want to do it.

This is probably a good time to review your musical objectives -- why are you practising/playing? Keeping those in mind may help.

Some other things you could do:

Set yourself a goal of posting on the web a recording of yourself playing each piece you master. Invite some friends around for coffee/supper and to hear it. If you set a date, say, two weeks ahead, that should be quite strong motivation.

If you are feeling jaded, take a break from music for a week -- you may come back a lot more energized.

As you enjoy Chopin, pick another of his works, one that you really like, and go for it. I am just a beginner (classical), and I am working on a Chopin piece that is way too difficult for me -- Etude Op 10,3. Because of that, it will take me a lot longer to learn. The first page is starting to sound good -- almost musical -- and I'm expecting (hoping!) to have learnt it all by the end of the year. If you don't have the ability, you have to make up for it with persistence. smile

You don't need to do the whole piece -- start with an easy section. You don't need to play it at full speed. If there is a fast section, play that part more slowly. You don't have to satisfy anybody but yourself.

So if you have the persistence, and want a challenge, dive right in to some more Chopin.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It sounds to me like you are spending way too much time on each piece. I know that is necessary for learning certain pieces but in your case it is leading to boredom at this point in time. I love Chopin as well and it is my current "listen". I would check out some different literature, maybe a book of something more contemporary so you can start building a repertoire of short fun pieces.

"The true character of a man can be determined by witnessing what he does when no one is watching".

anon
G
G
Hi Drooky,

Well done for noticing you're on the slippy slope and for trying to do something about it.

I'm with a lot of the others and think you should find yourself a teacher. I'd find a list of people near you, send them an email and see if anyone can do flexible lessons. You never know who may email back.

Good luck and I hope you keep on playing.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission