2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#1047969 06/23/08 04:25 AM
L
L
Poi...2 day old, 2 finger...ono...hungry...kalua pig, aku poki, opihi, spicy pickled limu, laulau with pork AND butterfish, lumpy squid luau, creamy haupia, and the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau on the boom box...

A summer memory...high school graduation luaus. I think I'm missing a few. ...$900 round trip tickets...

l's dad

#1047970 06/23/08 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:
Ratman, tried some different techniques today and realized a few things,
The horses won't run in a straight line in front of me! I asked polostrings to forget the game and run back and forth at an even speed. He didn't think his team mates would like that.
Also the horses move up and down as they run, making the panning more difficult. I took a bunch of shots with ISO at 100 and 200 and f stop at 1/60 and up. I'll review and let you know. The keeper ratio today is about 1:800! I did try using the image stablizer and turned it off as well. We'll see how it turns out. I have to go back thru your last post to check out the links in depth. Thanks again for all the help.
I understand your problem. It's somewhat akin to the one I mentioned if cars accelerating on a short straight and then jumping on the brakes hard for the next turn. I spose photographers who shoot things like motocross might have the same sort of problems.

I wish I could think of an easy solution off the top of my head...but I can't. Well, maybe that's not true. How about a bokeh effect? If you were to use a long lens with a large aperture and a fast shutter speed, you might be able to get the horse in focus with the background out of focus...it would be blurred, but from bokeh, not panning. Might work. Besides...I needed an excuse to post this photo from last Saturday:

[Linked Image]
Direct link in case the image isn\'t visible

The flying quail radiator cap emblem was pretty popular as a Ford accessory on Model As and 32s. The circular polarizer filter seems to have captured the reflective flare as a sorta sunburst effect.

The quail and the blue oval are in sharp focus but the background is blurred...but there was no movement, just a shallow depth of field, or "bokeh."

Now...back to Locatelli and Ian Stewart.

hth,

RatMan
1961 Hammond M-101, Casio Digital kb, a coupla basses and some other stuff.
Canon 40D and a half-full camera bag.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com
#1047971 06/23/08 12:42 PM
Kawai,
O.K sweet potatoe is good. Ill have to try that sometime. Im a sushi lover. And not the cooked to death kind. I like the raw tuna and salmon. Yum Yum.

And with Lizzy's Dads' talk about all that yummy food, I will have to add a trip to Hawaii to my list of things to do before I get old. Ha Ha. Maybe i'll try polo too!!!!!

Thank you for all the compliments on my daughter. I better get going, she has gymnastics this morning, and im going to try and get some serious piano practicing in today.

Hi Rat Man, I got your private message a while ago, sorry I didnt answer back. Im a flake. Thanks though. Ive given up on trying to get to your website. My husband says that for some reason its just not working. Oh well, thanks for trying. laugh

Ta Ta everyone, AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
#1047972 06/23/08 01:11 PM
Originally posted by aspenxtreme:

Polo Strings, What did you rlittle boy play for his first recital??? He is too cute. I like how he cant reach the floor with his feet. Tooo Cute!!!!
[/QB]
Sorry to torture the forum with our family stuff. But I can't resist. Here's Gavin's performance. He's taken lessons for 2 months, a friend from preschool was taking lessons , so he asked to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwkiPR_EfiU

I borrowed the Chrono Cross theme done by our own KawaiGirl, hope she doesn't mind.

I'm glan I have a son, a little princess would just constantly break my heart. frown I would just be a puddle. Oh wait, I am a puddle now. laugh

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
#1047973 06/23/08 01:16 PM
OP Offline
Sorry, I AGAIN , forgot to log the Mrs out. The above post was me , Polostrings, not Kawai, HI. mad

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
#1047974 06/23/08 01:27 PM
OP Offline
Ratman, great shot with the quail emblem!

Here's a shot of my son Kawai, HI took. I'll have her discuss with you about it. ( I know it's getting confusing, but I upload photos for her)
[Linked Image]

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
#1047975 06/23/08 02:05 PM
Wow Wow Wow Wow.... Oh my gosh that was beautifull, Oh I had tears in my eyes. And I found myself clapping!!!! Way tooo precious. And where was that recital at??? was that a church that overlooks the ocean!!! THats it, im moving to Hawaii. I grew up in Santa Barbara, so I am a beach bum myself. I miss the ocean sooo much. And your son is just sooo handsome. He is Polynesian?? and Hawaiin??? just a guess.

[Linked Image]

I thought I would throw in a pic of me and my kids. :rolleyes: Its not the best pic of Kenzie but you all know what she looks like. My son hates to have his pic taken (unless he is showing off on our quad) so I dont have many of him.

AspenX laugh

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
#1047976 06/23/08 02:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
AspenX, your son is as handsome as your daughter is cute.

Polo/Kawai, Gavin is *very* cute. (I wonder if there are other husband/wife members on ABF. Oh, and if they forget to log out and commit ID thefts on each other! laugh )

[Linked Image]
#1047977 06/23/08 03:12 PM
Hi Rosy,
How are you? I see you found me again, showing off my kids shocked

Although I think my kids have some tough competition. Gavin looks like he is going to be a true heartbreaker!!!! And he plays piano. What a super cute kid!!!!

Thanks for posting the pics Kawaii and PoloStrings. Its nice to find someone else that loves horses as much as I do. And for us to have such wonderfull kids, thats just a bonus. Does Gavin like riding????

AspenX laugh

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
#1047978 06/23/08 04:27 PM
lizzy's dad, Matsumoto shave ice.... with or without beans?

Ratman, again, nice photo. I'm a big fan of the long lens, short depth of field - especially for portaits. See above photo that polostrings posted for me (sometimes as me). I like the late day light, typically at the beach, with a polarizing lens (if the light will allow).

Thanks aspenxtreme and Rosanna for the kind words about my son. I think he's cute too, but I'm his mom, I'm suppose to. He's half filipino and half haole (white). In Hawaii we call that "hapa" - means half. I agree with Rosanna, aspenx your son is a cutie too.

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
#1047979 06/23/08 05:30 PM
Kawai,

Where did I get polynesian from??? I dont know. Gavin is a cool mix. IM "Hapa" and my kids are very "Hapa". Thats funny that you use that term. I thought only Japanese used that term. Im half black, half Japanese, so my kids are Japanese, black, and white. They are beyond "Hapa".

I better git to my piano practicing or else I will have to kick myself off of the "MOYD" list for this year.

Ill chat with everyone again soon, AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
#1047980 06/23/08 06:45 PM
Thanks, Polostrings. Gotcha, Kawai..I love the potrait with the soft background. Do ya think that same concept might work with the horse shots?

AspenX, no problem. I wish I had a real good answer about accessing my server...but I don't. frown One of the problems of bein a little guy running his own server on a dsl line. I've been running it for 11 years, but I don't know how long it'll be possible to continue as the big ones gobble up the little ones. Oh, well...never give up, never surrender.

RatMan
#1047981 06/23/08 07:39 PM
Originally posted by NancyM333:
Ratman--Thanks for that detailed description of your picture. Your anecdote about throwaway percentage was really eye-opening. It's like when I hear someone play something beautiful and ask how long they've been working on it and hear "three years at an hour a day." All the sudden it doesn't seem like magic!

I've never done much photography, but reading your explanation makes me want to give it a shot. I'd like to get a nice digital camera; we used to have a nice Pentax SLR with lots of lenses, and it took beautiful pictures. I haven't been too happy with what I've seen from other people in digital pictures (colors that are not found in nature is a big problem, I've noticed). Do you have some camera or characteristics of cameras that you could recommend if I were to go digital?

Thanks,

Nancy
I can really relate to the "three years at an hour a day." I've had the same sort of inspiration from a rock guitarist who's quoted as saying "I went home and played for 6 hours a day for two years." That still inspires me when I get burned out, discouraged or "plateaued."

About cameras: I used a Pentax Spotmatic for years. I still have it. Great camera...for the last century. There are two major players in the digital SLR area at this time, and they seem to trade top ratings with each new release. That's Canon and Nikon. You can spend a whole lotta money trying to stay on top of the heap. The cameras I'd recommend would be either the Canon 40D (the one I'd like to upgrade to) or the Nikon D300. They seem to have all the features that one would want in a DSLR...which would be too long a list to write here.

At a little lower price (but still good cameras) are the Canon Rebel XT or XTi.

I've never owned a Nikon, so I can't comment, but I know there are millions of owners who love 'em.

So I guess it comes down to which one feels right to you. I'd really suggest trying both out before making a purchase. That's how I became sold on the Canon.

As a note about coloration: I post-process all my keepers. That includes color correction. Many times false color is due to a cheap lens, but since so much of a digital camera is computer controlled, there are many, many things that can cause color or other exposure aberrations. And the size of the photos as unloaded from the camera is huge. This allows the great quality seen in good digital photos. But they need to be resized to be useful, especially via the web or email. So while cropping and resizing, I automatically color-correct and adjust exposure and sharpness. I used Photoshop for a long time, but just recently started using Corel's Paint Shop Pro. Very nice program for $80. Beats the $600 list for Photoshop.

PM me if there are any specifics you'd like to discuss. I've probably rambled too much about photography on a piano forum, anyway. smile

Maybe I otta go practice some baroque basso continuo...and maybe some blues, too.

RatMan
#1047982 06/23/08 10:56 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone, what sentational summer shots and videos you all have. I love them! cool

lizzy's dad, I can't deal with reading and imagining all of your scrumptious islands' culinary list. thumb

RatMan, I have an old Sony digital which I would like to upgrade sometime too, so I definitely appreciate all of your words of wisdoms on the topic of photography and digital cameras as well. I shall have to tap into this bank of knowledge also.

And I can definitely see why you would want to take a workshop with that David Allio, what FABULOUS photographs he creates. I hope you get to go too.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
#1047983 06/24/08 12:26 AM
L
L
Kawai, HI

...with, of course! Banana, Strawberry, Grape...looks gross when melted.

smile

l's dad

#1047984 06/24/08 12:39 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Kawai, HI:
Sorry to torture the forum with our family stuff. But I can't resist. Here's Gavin's performance. He's taken lessons for 2 months, a friend from preschool was taking lessons , so he asked to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwkiPR_EfiU

Gavin is truly adorable. You are justifiably proud of that young man! What a beautiful church as well. Great job, Gavin!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

#1047985 06/24/08 01:16 AM
aspenxtreme, you and your family would fit right in here in Hawaii. Everyone is a wonderful mix of everything. It's hard to find anyone who is 100% any one thing. My son does have that pacific rim look. It's hard to guess what his background is. When we're on the mainland people think he is latino.

Ratman, I don't know if you use a Mac but I find the iPhoto program pretty good for minor adjustments in photos.

lizzy's dad, with, with ice cream and lilikoi and lycee. Don't care how it looks...sooooo ono!

Key Notes and TX-Dennis thanks for the kind words for my son. Polostrings and I are blessed behond belief.

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
#1047986 06/24/08 01:40 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by aspenxtreme:
Kawai,

IM "Hapa" and my kids are very "Hapa". Thats funny that you use that term. I thought only Japanese used that term. Im half black, half Japanese, so my kids are Japanese, black, and white. They are beyond "Hapa".
I'm Hapa.......half Japanese, half Haole, grew up on Oahu, often went to Mokuleia, watched some Polo although I didn't really know much about it; I went out there when Prince Charles visited long time ago. Sometimes when I needed to just get away, I'd drive to Haleiwa, sit on the wall and watch the sunset, then drive back home to reality.

My neighbors are from Hawaii too. Even though I've been on the mainland for 16 years, my 24 years on Oahu are "home" to me, especially since both of my parents are buried at Punchbowl.

Nice to have Hawaii connections on the forum. I miss being able to pick papayas off my own trees but at least Hawaiian papayas are available here, when I can afford them! They're luxury items! Oh well, I have blueberries and strawberries in my backyard now, which are equally fantastic. smile

#1047987 06/24/08 02:43 AM
L
L
ice cream, shaved ice and azuki beans...ono, but wow, too much sugar for me now.

Maybe a piece of guava chiffon cake from DeLite Bakery...sweet, but subtle.

KeyNotes, don't get me started on da food. smile Too bad I can't eat much of it anymore. frown

...used to get sick pigging out on lilikoi, guava or mountain apples we'd scavenge from the valley trails around Sacred Falls...or the big lichee trees that used line California Ave in Wahiawa...or the time we wound up with a station wagon full of ripe royal pineapples...

...innocent child, ...magical days, bright shinning days, the beautiful days of my youth. (k lee)

OBTW, Kawai..your family is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

l's dad

#1047988 06/24/08 03:16 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Please... Everyone, don't even get into the tropical fruits areas. But okay, I can't resist either, nothing like fresh picked anything...mangoes, guavas, lichees still clinging to the branches, and the fragrances of mountain apples, plumerias, ginger blossoms, coconut juice and fresh-squeezed sugar kane juice...oh sweetnest... I better stop. On top of all that, I have another confession, I consume a can of Kona coffee glazed macadamia nuts every single day that I'm there. thumb

Aloooha!

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission