Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1048893 - 09/09/07 02:58 AM Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
karaeloko Offline

Loc: back in PTY
Chopin: In my opinion the best composer ever. Why you may ask. Well because his music is like poetry, it feels as if the notes to his music were singing to me. I don't really know how to express this in writing, but hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

This piece, the Nocturne in C minor, is my favorite. I stopped playing the piano when I was 14 (I'm now 27), but after I discovered this piece a few years ago, I decided to start playing piano again.

http://www.box.net/shared/xht2hi7qoq

Edit: (Including the part left out by mistake)

I believe this is an interpretation by Władysław Szpilman, the main character in the movie "The Pianist". I saw this movie, and was captivated by Chopin's music. I had the soundtrack and couldn't stop listening to this piece but then I lost the CD. A friend of mine, who has a zillion mp3s happened to have this one in his collection. It had no name or anything, but I'm pretty sure this is "The Pianist's" version, but I could be mistaken since I haven't listened to it for several years now.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1048894 - 09/09/07 03:12 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
This blows my mind! I just started and wish I could play this piece.

Why you stopped playing is beyond me! Fantastic playing!

#1048895 - 09/09/07 05:28 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
dannylux Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Hi Karaeloko,

WOW!

That's one of the finest performances of this great Nocturne that I've ever heard.

Passionate, brooding and moody, you play it exactly as I hear it in my head.

Your technique is excellent; nice, even rolled chords, and fantastic octaves. And the melody is always clear in the fast section.

Thanks so much for posting your astonishingly beautiful performance.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1048896 - 09/10/07 04:36 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Absolutely breathtaking. Wonderful performance. Everything was just perfect. Your interpretation is one of the best I have every heard. Thank you for sharing. Gaby tu

#1048897 - 09/10/07 07:41 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Wonderfully inspiring playing karaeloko ... just wonderful!

Have you seen our thread in this forum dedicated to this Nocturne? It was started by Loveschopintoomuch (Kathleen) and you simply have to join in! \:\) this is the link EDIT: I see you've already been there!
Those of us struggling with this masterpiece will be picking your brains... definitely!

My first questions to you - have you memorised this piece and, what piano was it played on?

Michael

#1048898 - 09/10/07 07:47 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Karaeloko - your playing is just absolutely fantastic !
Everything is great, really, but your power in the octave part and the Doppio movimento part is ......I have no words ;\)

I think I saw you started learning this about a year ago (posting in a Nocturne study group).

Please tell us about how you have practiced !

Ragnhild

#1048899 - 09/10/07 08:53 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
karaeloko Offline

Oops... Let me apologize for leading you on to believe that was me playing that piece. I was writing the post on a different browser than the one I posted it in, and then I copy/pasted what I had written. Somewhere along the way, I must have left out the last part of my post where I tell the story about that interpretation.

It was an honest mistake. I've edited the original post to include the last part I left out when I started the thread.

Again, I'm sorry.

#1048900 - 09/10/07 09:31 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by karaeloko:
Oops... Let me apologize for leading you on to believe that was me playing that piece. I was writing the post on a different browser than the one I posted it in, and then I copy/pasted what I had written. Somewhere along the way, I must have left out the last part of my post where I tell the story about that interpretation.

It was an honest mistake. I've edited the original post to include the last part I left out when I started the thread.

Again, I'm sorry. [/b]
...oh well, it's a great recording anyway! ...who is the pianist btw?

Good luck karaeloko, with your[/b] version \:\)

#1048901 - 09/10/07 10:28 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In fact, Karaeloko I am quite relieved that it was not you - if you go to the 48.1 study group and listen to our practicing you see why \:D

The version you posted were professional - and one of the best I've heard.

Hope you will join the study group !

Ragnhild

#1048902 - 09/11/07 04:33 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Wow, that is a relief. When I heard that recording my first though was, "Golly, I had better no post any of my recordings, they sound so awful compared to the playing on that recording."

A hearty welcome to the forum, Karaeloko, and thanks for your honesty. I think many of us have felt quite relieved. Gaby Tu.

#1048903 - 09/11/07 04:56 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
karaeloko Offline

Thanks for understanding.

Hearing you guys say you're relieved it's funny, because yeah, that is a fabulous recording, in fact the best I've ever heard. No other version has come close to this one imho. Everything is just perfect about it. The phrasing, the dynamics, the clarity, the technique, but more than anything that has to do with technicalities, it is full of just pure feeling. Every note is just perfectly played.

I actually had advanced quite a bit with this Nocturne. I even posted an actual recording played by myself last year which I felt proud of. Sadly, I don't have a piano at the moment, but hopeully will be getting a digital soon.

#1048904 - 09/11/07 05:29 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
dannylux Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Well, I must have been living in a fantasy world to think a new pianist could play that well.

By the way, the pianist in the recording you posted is not Szpilman, but Janusz Olejniczak.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1048905 - 09/11/07 12:21 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wasn't Szpilman the character in the movie? ;\)

Yes, I too was relieved. :p

However, I fell in love with this piece and have started playing it yesterday. Managed to get through the 1st half of the 1st page after a couple of hours. *Sounds* simple at 1st, but isn't... to me, at least.

#1048906 - 09/11/07 01:27 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
I guess I am the only one who don't like this recording much. I think it sounds impressive due to the piano and recording quality. 1. in the opening, he held the RH notes through the next beat with the LH low octave, it's incorrect and muddy. 2. too much energy, too jumpy in the Lento section. Those LH semiquaver octaves are too fast, not full length value. 3. poco più lento means slower, not faster. This is probably the fastest "poco più lento" section I've heard. It's nice from the octaves to the end. But the first half of the piece kills it.

I still think Ashkenazy's version of this piece is about the best you can find.

#1048907 - 09/11/07 02:56 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's why there's not just one version of every recording available. The sheet music is a guide, but it's all relative & subjective. Therefore, they're called "interpretations." ;\)

Whatever the case, after listening to a few dozen recordings of this piece, I personally love this one the best.

To each his own. \:\)

#1048908 - 09/12/07 08:26 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
karaeloko:

WOW! I am so envious. It is my dream of dreams to be able to play this piece. It is my favorite though everything I hear is my favorite...when it's by Chopin. \:\)

Please post on our Devoted to Chopin thread if you have the inclination. We are always looking for new blood.
\:D

#1048909 - 09/13/07 01:18 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

loveschopintoomuch, just FYI ; that wasn't karaeloko who played that piece. I thought so as well before he finally wrote something to the opposite. LOL!

Beautiful interpretation, IMHO. \:\)

#1048910 - 09/13/07 02:40 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
bkkmd Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
LA, you are not the only one \:\)
I agree, the lento is too hard driven and jumpy. I like a bit more lyrical and subdue account.

A preferred relatively fast rendition of poco piu lento for me would be Moravec still.
However, I am not a big fan of Ashenazy either, generally, I still prefer Arrau, followed by Moravec and Barenboim. Talk about three very different approach to the piece \:\)

Many people raved about Rubenstein's nocturnes in general as a standard but I don't get his 48.1 . It is very straight forward rendition but a bit too business like for my taste. Oh well... may be something is wrong with my taste \:\)

#1048911 - 09/13/07 07:26 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's strange how much an impression is influenced by what you expect.
Listening to this as a forum-member recording I was nothing but impressed, but knowing it's done by a professional I agree that the Lento part is a bit jumpy with misuse of rubato and the poco piu lento is too fast.
I'm still very impressed over the technique and power of the octave runs and the doppio movimento, but that is what we expect of a professional - I agree that Ashkenaze has more "soul" in his version.

I have Arrau and Askenase and I like both, but I still don't think I have heard my favourite version...

Interesting thread from a psycological point of view ;\)

Ragnhild

#1048912 - 09/13/07 07:55 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
RobertThePianist Offline

Loc: Washington State
Hahah, I thought the same way Ragnhild —

At first I thought it was their own recording, and I was amazed. Now, it's ... mediocre \:\)

#1048913 - 09/13/07 08:04 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
It's strange how much an impression is influenced by what you expect.

Interesting thread from a psycological point of view ;\)

Ragnhild [/b]
I agree with Ragnhild, it's amazing how we alter our perceptions when our expectations change. Janusz Olejniczak's rendition of the 48.1 had, for me, the elusive 'tingle factor'. Forget the bar-by-bar technical analysis, this moved me, and that's all that matters to me when I listen to music. On the other hand, the Moravec version doesn't give me quite the same feeling, great though it is; to me, his 48.1 sounded like it was being played by someone who was perhaps 'going through the motions' to record a double CD of all[/b] the Chopin Nocturnes - which of course he was! - and this just happened to be one of them. This is probably unfair of me, but it's my impression nonetheless.

From the first time I heard this masterpiece it has occupied a special place in my heart and, indeed, my life. To date I have not heard another rendition which has moved me so much... the Nocturne was played by our very own LisztAddict.

Michael \:\)

#1048914 - 09/13/07 08:27 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I hope you don't mind LisztAddict:
I had to listen to you again and here it is for those who have not

LisztAddict Chopin Nocturne 48.1:
http://www.box.net/shared/xauj8onhlv

I agree, Cruiser, LisztAddict brings out all the sadness and agony in the Nocturne - and he's not even a professional ....

Ragnhild

#1048915 - 09/13/07 02:05 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
I wouldn't say this recording mediocre. It's still an excellent performance, and I really enjoy the latter half of the it. But I expect more from a PRO, I expect better contrast from the first half to the second half. This contrast is Chopin signature in many Nocturnes - a quiet gentle opening as if the music is from a far far distance, then a big storm approaches.

As I previously stated, this recording in a way is very impressive because of the recording quality. If you are listening to recordings from Arrau, Rubinstein, or Ashkenazy, the sound is no where this good.

#1048916 - 09/14/07 05:55 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
diinin Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
 Quote:
Oops... Let me apologize for leading you on to believe that was me playing that piece.[/b]
Hey, I knew what you were saying. I think that interpretation of a great piece got everyone's heads all fuzzy up there!

#1048917 - 09/14/07 06:02 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
diinin Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
 Quote:
Chopin: In my opinion the best composer ever. [/b]
Let me just take this moment to agree with you. I love that he was so original, so willing to think "outside the box." He hated banging on the piano as much as I do, but liked gentle trills and rubato. IMO, no one ever equaled him.

I'll never be able to play your favorite there, as much as I love it. I'll be happy to play his Post. Nocturne in C minor, and the one in C# minor, and his Nocturne in E minor Op. 72 No. 1.

#1048918 - 09/14/07 11:51 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne in C Minor Op. 48 No.1
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
First, I read this thread everyday although I don't have much to say because I have not been able to give my dream piece any kind of attention. But that will all change after October 17th.

I compared Rubinstein's version with Ashenazy. While Rubinstein is my favorite Chopin interpreter for almost all of Chopin's works, I do have to admit I liked the Ashenazy better.

Most people think that Rubinstein took great liberties with Chopin, but just the opposite is true. bkkmd stated that he thought Rubinstein was too straight-forward and business-like. Rubinstein took great pride in playing Chopin's music without the drama and rubato and emotion that so many do, just as he thought Chopin would have played it.

As quoted by diinin:
Let me just take this moment to agree with you. I love that he was so original, so willing to think "outside the box." He hated banging on the piano as much as I do, but liked gentle trills and rubato. IMO, no one ever equaled him.

Thank you diinin for your very astute and intelligent observation and opinion. \:\) I couldn't agree more (big surprise here.)

I posted this quote of Fontana (who was a close friend of Chopin's for most of his life) in the Devoted to Chopin thread. It has to do with Chopin's astoundingly remarkable ability to improvise. I found the quote so moving. Perhaps you will find it so also.

"From his earliest youth, the richness of his improvisation was astounding. But he took good care not to parade it; and the few lucky ones who have heard him improvising for hours on end, in the most wonderful manner, never liifting a single phrase from any other composer, never even touching on any of his own works--those people will agree with us in saying the Chopin's most beautiful finished compositions are merely reflections and echoes of his improvisations. This spontaneious inspiration was like an inexhaustible torrent of precious materials in the ferment. From time to time, the master would draw out of it a few cups to throw into his mould, and these were found to be full of pearls and rubies."

from the [Preface to] Oeuvres posthumes de Fred. Chopin, pp, 1-2

How I wish I were among one of those very lucky people. I can't even imagine what they must have heard.

Keep on keeping on,
Kathleen

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, AmateurBob, 30 invisible), 1364 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155818 Topics
2288031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on best way to structure my practicing...
by MZCT
07/12/14 09:03 PM
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
07/12/14 06:46 PM
Classical teacher for non-classical student?
by TX-Bluebonnet
07/12/14 06:12 PM
A220-A440 Temperament recording
by Hakki
07/12/14 03:34 PM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-15
by ilkergoksen
07/12/14 02:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission