2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Say for an adult who are is already around early intermediate level and can play be ear fairly well?

It seems maybe ability to play by ear interferes with ability to learn to read music and I end up memorizing the notes instead of reading them? Or is it possible to use playing by ear as an asset?

Is there a super proven super fast super effective way to learn to read music and play Chopin music in one year heh heh?

Thanks!

Previously known as NorwegianForest a long long time ago right here in this very forum.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
You have got to be kidding! I hate to break the news to those who think this can be done!

Start at the most simple idea! Square one.

Draw one line and put a note head "0" on it - straight through the center of the line like stringing a bead.

Then you draw two lines to create a space, and put a similar note between and touching the two lines.

Stop to think about it realizing that everything that comes after this on the Music Staff is simply more of the same.

Then you look at a keyboard chart and learn all the names of the pitches on the music staff and play them on the keyboard one at a time noticing the alphabetical repetition. Then you find all "A's" on the keyboard and also on the music staff. (B-C-D-E-F-G's) (Don't do accidentals yet, they are not in the picture at this moment.)

So how many A's were there? (B-C-D-E-F's?) For a total of how many white keys? Now countthe black notes by groups (1 black note/part of the group of 3 if the keyboard had continued, right?) Then, 2 black notes groups? How many black notes? Then all together black and white? 88?

Yo, only 10 fingers to keep track of all these notes! (You can do it!)

Do you understand the addition of the outer ledger lines? What about the inner ledger lines?Do you understand 8va and 15va? Which notes does it apply to on the keyboard? How is it marked on the staff?

This is the first and most relevant thinking for orientation of the keyboard to the music staff. This needs to be in place before you can make sense of anything else in reading music.

You ask for super fast when you really want clear understanding and accurate use of reading and coordinating with the piano keyboard. The two are in conflict. With patience, it comes as fast as possible for you to learn only if you go through the sequences. Your brain will give it to you when you have done "enough" work in preparation. You have to process the information visually, aurally, and tactily before it is truly availabe to you to use with fluency. Just reading and noticing does not do it.

Random and abstract learning in the coordination and orientation of music staff to keyboard produces chaos and confusion.

I'm not picking on you. I am trying to state an important fact for all who want to play this instrument by reading the music.

That doesn't mean it can't be fun while going through the paces. You should really invest your time and effort toward it as it will give you a firm and convincing ability at the keyboard.

Consistency is important, too.

I'm glad you said heh heh. I'm going to say it too. heh heh. Feels good!

V
V
Is there a super proven super fast super effective way to learn to read music and play Chopin music in one year heh heh?

Probably not other than dedicated efficient practice with a dynamic teacher interested in helping you progress. This should go a very long way in accomplishing that goal but it really is up to you. There is no easy route to success in learning the instrument which makes progress so rewarding. Real progress is incremental and the "fast easy way" is unfortunately, a pipe dream. The reward is the process and progress for its own sake which is going to vary. The more time you practice efficiently, the faster you will progress. It is that simple but not more so.

I can't believe that practicing on your own as a beginner can be efficient in realizing your goal, something to keep in mind and definitely my opinion especially one wanting to learn the intricaticies of Classical music no less Chopin.

Learning to sight read well is accomplished over time. It shouldn't be a primary goal of a beginner.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission