Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1049834 - 12/12/07 01:45 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Lee, quality is definitively better.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1049835 - 12/12/07 03:30 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Matt and Seaside - great videos - my kinda piano \:D

Can't listen more today at work - too much goin' on, but I'll try again later in the week.

Cathy

#1049836 - 12/12/07 08:00 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Serge88, I prefer the chords in the new version quite a lot more. However I like the style (broken chords, rhythm) in the older version somewhat more.

Seaside, I gather this new video is the back of your juice bar at the gym? That's how you pump out music to all those people working out, eh? Yes, video quality is better with the higher resolution setting, but hate to say it, it's still only so-so - but that's what a cameraphone can do.

#1049837 - 12/12/07 08:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Rocky: Frosty the Snowman. Nice quick tempo, and very consistent. Fun.

Gaffster: O Holy Night. This is one of my favorites, although playing it left me afraid to perform in public as I described in another thread. You obviously had fun playing with this one.

Rosanna: Old Welsh New Years Song: I liked this. I like hearing holiday music that is different. This is a new piece to me, but it’s very easy to listen to. I like the variations—sounds so different with the organ. That’s neat. (I prefer the piano version myself, but that’s just me).

Balladeer: Silent Night. I love these harmonies

TX Dennis: O Christmas Tree: Is the Charlie Brown (aka Vince Guaraldi) version with all those jazzy harmonies? Or your own doing? Whichever, I like it.

What Child is This? Interesting improv. The meandering melody line is creative, but there is enough repetition to make it recognizable. Nice work.

GRRMike: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Isn’t this a great carol? Despite the upbeat title, it always makes me feel a pang of nostalgia. Your playing of this simple but lovely arrangement does it justice.

Debussy20: First Snow—Quite a departure for you. Did you have fun? It was a lot of fun listening. Who was the band? Have you played with them before, and are you planning to do it again?

Serge: Silent Night: I think I like the first one with the more consistent rhythms better—but they are both nice. It’s fun to listen to how different you can make them.

Seaside: couldn’t listen to the videos because of an over-ring or something through my headphones. Sorry.

Now I'm ready to start my Christmas cards. Thanks for the holiday mood booster, everybody.

#1049838 - 12/12/07 09:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Serge88, I like the chords in the second version, but I think I prefer the accompaniment in the first version. They are both nice, though.

Seaside Lee, the video is MUCH better in the new one, but the sound quality (not your playing, mind you) is still rather dismal. I guess that's to be expected with a phone video, though. At any rate, nice playing!

rustyfingers, I guess I should have mentioned that those were both Guaraldi arrangements with a few modifications by me (some intentional and some not so intentional \:D .)

flickr

#1049839 - 12/12/07 11:12 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rusty and Serge88, I also prefer the piano version of the Welsh New Year Song. You can hear the triplets a lot better. But I posted the organ version because I kind of like the different mood.

#1049840 - 12/12/07 11:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Txs-Dennis, I enjoyed your rendition of "What child is This". \:\)

flickr

#1049841 - 12/13/07 09:41 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I'm swamped with finals week here, so I am not able to write as detailed comments as I would like, but I did want to say that last night I listened to the new entries while grading a bunch of exams, and everybody did a terrific job! It was the best part of my evening and helped me to stay calm when idiot students got questions wrong that I had told them in advance would be on the exam!

#1049842 - 12/13/07 10:22 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
It was the best part of my evening and helped me to stay calm when idiot students got questions wrong that I had told them in advance would be on the exam! [/b]
Me "Ms. K said it would be on the exam, maybe we should at least read it".

buddy "Naw, she just said that to make us focus on it and not study something else so she can fail us".

Me "Really? Ya think? What will be on the test then?"

buddy "Who knows? My sister had her last year and got an A, lets ask her".

Sis "Just read the assignment, and think about what is being said. You'll do fine. Ms. K is very fair.

Me "Well, the test is tomorrow. You read the first half and I'll read the second and then tell each other what's in there".

buddy "OK, but lets screw off till morning. We can read it on the way to class, then it will be fresh".

Me "Good plan. Imagine how much time we would have wasted if we actually believed it would be on the test. I'm glad we talked."

#1049843 - 12/13/07 10:35 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
gmm1: \:D \:D

#1049844 - 12/13/07 11:16 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
GrrMike2 - lovely indeed; have yourself a merry christmas too \:\)

Serge88 - I prefer the second one too; nice playing.

Thanks for sharing...

#1049845 - 12/15/07 08:22 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Started this song just this week...so cut me some slack...there's a few fat finger moves and the quality isn't so great, recorded it on an Olympus DS30

Let It Snow

Starts with rt block chords and melody in both hands...bridge needs more work...
PTG Associate

#1049846 - 12/16/07 01:59 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Here's my contribution to the holiday recital.

This one is for Kawaigirl, I'd promised her a Christmas song today and this was what I was able to improvise and record this evening:

I\'ll Be Home for Christmas

The main emphasis of this piece is experimentation with texturally dense chord patterns. Let me know what you think.

Have been very busy lately, but hope to find time soon to listen and comment on everyone's submissions. Happy holidays, hope you like it, KG!

#1049847 - 12/16/07 03:10 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monster, I like you arrangement very much - the syncopation adds a nice new twist to it. Very upbeat.

Van, I say your "experimentation" is a great sucess! It sounds sumptuous, flows beautifully, and has nice phrasing. I'd say it's one of my favorites of your playing so far.

#1049848 - 12/16/07 11:24 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Van,

I liked that one a lot, particularly the left hand....sounded like an exta phrase found it's way in there near the start, but not certain about that.

Good work!

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#1049849 - 12/16/07 12:23 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Monster, nice swingy piece. I wanted to get up to dance \:\)

Van, that was a very nice improvisation. The piece flowed together very nicely. Well done! \:\)

flickr

#1049850 - 12/16/07 12:34 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Funky_Fred Offline

Hope I'm not too late to the party, I've been very busy this season. Here are two contributions:

O Tannenbaun:

http://www.box.net/shared/exez5uhoz1

Pretty Paper:

http://www.box.net/shared/q2oziq5exk

#1049851 - 12/16/07 02:55 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monster, that recording quality is better than I had expected to hear from a cheap voice recorder. I enjoyed your version of this classic. A bit on the short side, though . . . \:D

flickr

#1049852 - 12/16/07 02:58 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Van, you certainly succeeded in making a dense arrangement. You also did a good job for the most part in bringing out the melody above the accompaniment. That is not easily accomplished with so dense an arrangement. I think I would prefer a bit faster tempo, but that is just my personal taste, and it would probably necessitate paring down the accompaniment somewhat. Good job.

flickr

#1049853 - 12/16/07 03:06 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Funky_Fred, you're never too late. Hey, I recognize that arrangement of Oh Tannenbaum. \:D Nice job. Pretty Paper is one we really don;t hear that often. It's an under appreciated piece, I think. Nice job. It sounds like you may have added a bit to the sheet music, or were you playing by ear. Now where is my Willie Nelson Christmas CD? Yes, I really do have that album somewhere, El Niño (his newer Christmas album), as well. My wife loves Willie Nelson, and I must admit that as a youngster he was one of my favorites.

flickr

#1049854 - 12/16/07 03:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Funky_fred, very nice job on both. I haven't heard Pretty Paper before, but I like it very much.

#1049855 - 12/16/07 03:47 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Thanks for the kind remarks...workin' on lengthing it abit and shoring up the bridge.

FFred liked the chord changes in Pretty Paper.

Van nice job, enjoyed it.

KG GreenSleeves...another nice performance...
PTG Associate

#1049856 - 12/17/07 02:25 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
...thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

SH - Loved all your pieces, Hunky. Greensleeves is always a favorite and you did it very well, definitely Greensleeves but distinctly SH, enjoyed the melody improv.

Peyton - Very pretty and from the heart. I'm envious of your voice, whenever I try to sing I sound like I have a head cold. \:\)

Matthijs - A little too experimental for my taste but I'm happy to see you still pushing the envelope. I think that stereo effect was a bit too strong, I listened to this with earphones initially and got a slight headache \:\) Other than that really liked your voicing and phrasing, very sophisticated/understated.

Tim - One of my favorites, Balladeer, such a nice lovely sound, mellow and effortless. A fine sketch of the song, just the absolute minimum of details needed to bring out the its beauty, you're a true artist. I very much enjoyed listening to your Silent Night as well, Tim; beautiful sophisticated voicing, again lovely and understated, classy performance.

C7 - What a lovely performance, Greg, you sounded totally relaxed and confident here, wonderful touch, very pleasing to listen to.

Mak - A nice performance. You should push yourself to try the harder version, you sound ready for it.

Monster M&H - I enjoyed all three of your pieces, I think It Must have been the Mistletoe is my favorite, what a rich sophisticated sound, really nice playing, you really could make a living playing bars (this is supposed to be a compliment \:D ).

epf - Very nice, epf, enjoyed your phrasing. Was this an improvisation or from sheetmusic?

Elssa - What a lush confident performance, and with strings no less. Enjoyed listening to it.

Serge88 - You're brave to go video. Good performance and very interesting perspective on White Xmas. Enjoyed your Silent Night as well. Well played.

Mark - Beautiful performance. I've always loved greensleeves and you played it wonderfully here, a very stately performance (but too short!).

kawaigirl - One of my favorites. Have always loved this song and this version is excellent. Your playing is very beautiful, KG. You made the piano sound like a lute, an unvarnished arrangement that shows how beautiful this simple theme was, is and always will be.

I played it better at home - Very pretty arrangement...I can listen to this song in all its variations forever and not get tire of it. A lovely confident performance (you definitely need to change your name to something like "I Rock" \:\) ).

rustyfingers - Wow, what a pretty piece and so very well played. A lovely performance, rusty, you kept that tempo very well on a rather lengthy performance. Well played!

gaffster - a fun piece, and very evocative of what the holiday should be, too short though! Very much enjoyed your Holy Night piece as well, sure sounded like you had fun playing that one.

rocky - Big smile. It doesn't get more christmasy than this \:\) Thoroughly enjoyed your piece, straight and to the point.

Rosanna - Loved your performance of that Welsh piece, Rosanna. I think this is the first I've heard it and you've certainly made it sing; what a pretty piece but much too short! Very well played, I enjoyed listening to it.

Lee - I always enjoy your playing, and from the looks of it, I'm not the only one. Well done, looked like you had that crowd well in hand. \:\)

Dennis - Lovely performances on both pieces, Dennis. Definitely sing-alongable in that first piece. I liked those bent notes, slight touch of the blues, just enough to add interest without turning melancholy. A very interesting take on greensleeves; reminds me of Tim Hardin on piano (and that's a big compliment if you knew how much I like Tim's music)...this one is definitely melancholic, sounded like what the piano player would play at the end of the day when everyone have left and they're turning down the lights; a lovely performance, one of my favorites.

GRRMIKE2 - A gentle performance and to the point. Very nicely played. I enjoyed listening to it.

Debussy20 - OK Matt, you've totally ruined my image of you \:\) Looked like you had fun. Rock on dude!

Van - uhh, what Dennis said...

FunkyFred - Very well played on both pieces, I enjoyed listening to them, especially the second (more sophisticated voicing that you carried off very well). A confident relaxing performance. Well played!

....so are we up for a red-mistletoe award? \:D

#1049857 - 12/17/07 11:20 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Van:
epf - Very nice, epf, enjoyed your phrasing. Was this an improvisation or from sheetmusic?[/b]
Umm...a little of both. I used sheet music for the basic melody, and then improvised the left hand, some of the notes in the right hand, and the phrasing/timing was from my own feel for the song.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1049858 - 12/17/07 05:03 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
Hello Everyone,

Here is my contribution to the Holiday Performance Bar. It is an improvised version of Silent Night. In case the arrangement sounds familiar the inspiration behind this improvisation was Mark Almond's Piano for Life DVD series where he has a similar arrangement. Anyway FWIW it is my attempt to further my development into the realm of improvisation.

http://www.box.net/shared/dxmio4n9n5

#1049859 - 12/17/07 09:03 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
GRRMIKE2 Offline

Loc: Chicago
I posted my audio recording earlier this month, but here is the same recording paired with video clips I made of my holiday traditions. Consider it my video Christmas card to ABF.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card

#1049860 - 12/17/07 09:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by GRRMIKE2:
I posted my audio recording earlier this month, but here is the same recording paired with video clips I made of my holiday traditions. Consider it my video Christmas card to ABF.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card [/b]
Very cute. I liked the drunken horsey!

Merry Christmas to you too.

From Suzanne (formerly known as Piano Rocks now Musictuary)

#1049861 - 12/17/07 09:48 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Musictuary, nice job on Silent Night. I like what you did with it.

flickr

#1049862 - 12/17/07 11:30 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Suzanne, your Silent Night was very nice.

GRRMIKE2, That Xmas video gave me lots of chuckles. Now I want to know who really drank that "martini"?

#1049863 - 12/18/07 05:45 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
RhondaLynne Offline

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by GRRMIKE2:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card [/b]
I love it ! I'm still laughing.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1803 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326113 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission