Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1049864 - 12/18/07 06:20 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I've mustered up enough courage to post a contribution. Most of you are much better than I.

I've only been playing for four months (that's 16 lessons), so I'm afraid this is about the best it's going to get for the moment -- so please, no throwing tomatoes, okay? However, if you must, please be so kind as to at least toss them gently. \:\)

This is a stripped down version of Tchaikowsky's "Waltz of the Flowers," from the Nutcracker Suite, with about 80 percent of the notes missing. I'm not exactly sure if this is Christmas music, but they always perform the Nutcracker around this time of year, so I guess this qualifies. \:\)

Hope you enjoy my first recording. Will be interesting for me to return to this thread a year from now to see how much I've progressed.

Enjoy and happy holidays to everyone.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0mzk9tz121w

(2 megabyte download, < 1 minute download on broadband)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1049865 - 12/18/07 06:38 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Akira,

How enthusiastic I am for your playing accomplishments in 16 lessons! I'm thrilled listening to the piece, a very steady dancing waltz bass, a singing melody, nuances effectively played, a nice sounding piano. Waltz of the Flowers never sounded better to my ears, because it's your waltz and very nicely done.

Yes!

Grin ;\)

Betty

#1049866 - 12/18/07 07:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Akira, wow, for 16 lessons, you are playing really well! Very steady, very clean - a great debut! Look forward to more of your playing next year - remember the recital in Feb \:\)

#1049867 - 12/18/07 10:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Mike, that was freakin' hilarious. \:D

flickr

#1049868 - 12/18/07 10:35 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Akira, of course that is Christmas music! Very nicely played. You are on your way to a lifetime of enjoyment and beauty. Great job!

flickr

#1049869 - 12/18/07 11:25 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Yesterday I played White Christmas for my teacher but she didn't like it, well she said: "It's nice but..."

She gave me advices and new chords to add. Tonight I did another recording. So here's the old version and the new version. Hope you like it.

White Christmas version 1

The new version is still shaky and I missed a few beat.

White Christmas version 2

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1049870 - 12/18/07 11:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira:

I've only been playing for four months (that's 16 lessons), so I'm afraid this is about the best it's going to get for the moment -- so please, no throwing tomatoes, okay? However, if you must, toss them gently. \:\)

[/b]
Only four months that REALLY good.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1049871 - 12/19/07 11:48 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Not only am I terribly tardy in commenting on all the pieces, I've been having a devil of a time getting a clean recording of my piece. As Christmas is rapidly approaching, I guess I'll abandon my goal of a clean take and settle for a take with one huge clunker in the middle [edit: I made a better recording and have swapped it out. Now there's one wrong note but not hideously obvious]:

"God rest ye merry gentlemen" arr. by David Nevue

#1049872 - 12/19/07 01:01 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Mike the video was great...loved the snowflake LOL

Akira: Wow for 16 lessons! ...actually...never mind "for 16 lessons" its great even for many more than 16!!!

Van: a little busy for me but the melody was kept nicely on top

Funky Fred: beautiful playing sir, Pretty Paper is a new one to me and it sounded lovely thank you for posting them both

more when I get more time...sheesh I'm busy at the mo'...

#1049873 - 12/19/07 06:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
caroloz Offline

Loc: Essex, England
Hi everyone - I've just joined the party and thought I'd call in and say 'Happy Christmas'. Lovely music from you all, and all so varied. Akira especially - you are amazing - did you know anything about music at all before the 16 lessons? I started teaching myself 14 months ago and have been quite pleased with my progress, but I started from nowhere - didn't know a thing about music except how to listen and enjoy. However I guess I may be one of the eldest beginners, Just turned 69 last week - so maybe that means slow progress? I'm enjoying every minute of it although I haven't played today because I've been reading all the threads on here! happy holiday everyone!

#1049874 - 12/19/07 11:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serge88:
Yesterday I played White Christmas for my teacher but she didn't like it, well she said: "It's nice but..."

She gave me advices and new chords to add. Tonight I did another recording. So here's the old version and the new version. Hope you like it.

White Christmas version 1

The new version is still shaky and I missed a few beat.

White Christmas version 2

Serge [/b]
Version 2 is sweet, my friend. I enjoyed listening to that.

flickr

#1049875 - 12/19/07 11:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monica, I like that version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Your recording is certainly not butchered. I missed the huge clunker, although perhaps you overused the sustain pedal in places. I often have difficulty with that, too. Odd, I suppose, considering that my old college piano instructor told me I had the best pedalling technique she had heard from any of her students. The key word, I guess, being "had." Of course, that was many years ago.

flickr

#1049876 - 12/19/07 11:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, caroloz! \:\)

#1049877 - 12/20/07 12:02 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Monica, that was beautiful! There was a clunker? I did not notice it.

flickr

#1049878 - 12/20/07 02:24 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Yeah, there was, Kawaigirl, but I finally got a cleaner take so I swapped out the recordings. The one that's up there now is better.

TX-Dennis, if overpedaling was a crime, I'd be a lifer. \:D In this particular piece, you're supposed to hold the pedal down for the entire early part where you're playing just the right hand. So I will plead Not Guilty on that section in exchange for a reduced sentence on the rest of the piece. \:D

#1049879 - 12/20/07 05:57 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
MK...nice job...wouldn't have expected anything less...

Hope everyone is on track for Christmas morning...gifts bought, decorations up...etc.
I know MSH got his gift...his M&H Bigboy is HOME for the holidays.
PTG Associate

#1049880 - 12/20/07 09:13 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Monica .... that was fantastic.

#1049881 - 12/20/07 09:17 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
TX-Dennis ... very nice.

My ear prefers ver 2.

#1049882 - 12/20/07 11:58 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX-Dennis, yes the version 2 is better, thanks to my teacher.

Monica, your recording is excellent.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049883 - 12/21/07 08:58 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Serge: version 2 is gorgeous \:D

Ooh Monica thats fantastic! \:D

Lee \:\)

#1049884 - 12/21/07 12:26 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Serge...I agree, I really like the second version...I like the OLD sound at Christmas time...
PTG Associate

#1049885 - 12/21/07 12:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I know I'm missing a bunch but it's been hard to get on and listen with all the holiday stuff going on.

Monica...That was awesome! And talk about your dramatic ending...It almost begs for an encore.

serge- Version two! Excellent!

Mike...Was that MUSTARD? That poor horse.

#1049886 - 12/21/07 01:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Where Are You Christmas... a few impromptu first take, again on that little Olympus DS30 digital recorder... Where Are You Christmas
btw...how do you post your songs so it doesn't have to be downloaded?? am I missing something?
PTG Associate

#1049887 - 12/21/07 01:28 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
btw...how do you post your songs so it doesn't have to be downloaded?? am I missing something? [/b]
It has to do with how the MP3 is encoded. What definitely works is 128 kbs or 192 kbs with constant bitrate (CBR) at 44100 Hz. (Yours is encoded at 48 kHz.)

#1049888 - 12/21/07 01:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OK...I'll have to pay closer attention on the next one...thanks mahlzeit...

You da man....thanks
PTG Associate

#1049889 - 12/21/07 10:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nice job, monster. I always enjoy your pieces.

flickr

#1049890 - 12/22/07 08:06 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Just a quickie:
http://www.box.net/shared/qixawsaw4w

Merry Christmas, everyone! \:\)

#1049891 - 12/22/07 08:53 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
My first musical post on the ABF.

This is by ear.

I've been with Piano Magic for 11 months.

http://www.box.net/shared/84qewe1wkk

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Text

#1049892 - 12/22/07 09:41 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Tx-Dennis

Nice job mahlzeit...I liked it alot

Very nice Text...kinda dreamy effect...
PTG Associate

#1049893 - 12/22/07 12:41 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Wow, Text! That was extremely impressive. You've set a high bar for all your subsequent ABF recordings. \:D I really liked the intro part, too. Did you play piano before starting Piano Magic?

Mahlzeit, what a beautiful jazzy "O tannenbaum", and I'm assuming that was your improv in the middle? Very Guaraldi-ish. \:\)

Monster, you have given us so many nice pieces for this Christmas recital. It's hard for me to pick a favorite. "Where are you Christmas?" just might be it, though, because it's one I wasn't familiar with to begin with and I really like the melody.

Serge, I'm with the others: version 2 is wonderful. It didn't sound shaky at all to me. It made me want to sit in front of a fire with some hot chocolate. \:\)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (Anna Francesch, anotherscott, AZNpiano, arX, 14 invisible), 1168 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153691 Topics
2253031 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
Today at 03:11 AM
HELP! Is this strain because of my technique?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Is it my technique that's causing this?
by T.M.E.
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Best brand of upright piano 48" or larger?
by WG40
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Kawai MP11 vs. Kawai VPC-1 Action / Key Length
by jp2011
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission