Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1049744 - 11/30/07 11:48 PM ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Yup, it's December and time for some holiday music. In this thread, everyone is encouraged to submit a holiday piece (or two, three etc) and start the season off right by sharing your holiday music with everyone.

If you have any self-performed holiday themed piano music that you wish to share with the rest of us, simply reply to this thread and post up your submission.

I will start off by posting up several pieces which are all original re-compositions of traditional holiday scores.(if that exists!). have a listen and enjoy.

.Greensleeves/We three kings medley[/b]
www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/greensleeveswethreekings.mp3

.My favorite things[/b]
www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/myfavoritethings.mp3

.Christmas time is here[/b]
www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/ChristmasTime.mp3

.Jingle bells[/b]
www.pinnaclepeakllamaranch.com/jinglebells.mp3

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1049745 - 12/01/07 07:38 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
MarKey Offline

Nice Hunky, are you still playing your BB?

#1049746 - 12/01/07 07:43 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I started writing this song during last year's holiday recital.

http://www.box.net/shared/to9lss8j5d

Christmas Day Again

It’s Christmas Day and I’m up with the sun
Gotta feed the chickens and let the horses out to run.
Then get the paper and walk down the drive.
It’s so quite I can hear the trucks whine down on i-95.
It’s Christmas day and you would hardly even know.
Except there’s a wreath on our door with a faded scarlet bow.
I go back inside and sit and watch the dawn.
Just one more reminder of old time marching on.

And then my wife comes down in her robe,
and she hugs and holds me up close
she whispers in her sweet kind of way
Hey, It’s Christmas Day.

(bridge)

It’s Christmas Day, the tree’s in it’s spot.
I bought it for 15 dollars from the guy out in the car lot.
He said “Merry Christmas” as he tied it to the rear.
I said “Yea back at ya, and I guess I’ll see you again next year."
It’s Christmas day, our kids have all grown.
They’ve gone off to have families and Christmas of their own.
Their sleds are in the barn, rusting away
And they could care less now if it snows on Christmas day.

And then my wife takes the coffee off the stove
Lets the dog go out to play.
She turns on all the Christmas lights
as she always does on Christmas day

(Bridge)

I sit down by my my wife's side
in this old house where all our memories lay
And together we count
all the happy times we've always had
on Christmas day.

#1049747 - 12/01/07 07:46 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
SideShow Offline

Loc: Belgium
* waiting for my piano to get tuned and for my h2 to be delivered *

#1049748 - 12/01/07 07:57 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I don't know if it's "really nice" or "Holiday music" but it's based on Silent Night at least: ;\)
http://www.originalsolopiano.com/2007/11/18/36-silent-night-chill-out/

#1049749 - 12/01/07 09:07 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Balladeer Offline

Hi SH - well, you've nearly got a full CD's worth of stuff there ... and some might fine "stuff" it is too! \:D

Nice work, Peyton ... those of you who can play and sing are special!

Hi Matthijs - more cool sounds from you! \:\) You are sounding more and more "at home" at the keyboard.

Here is a little offering...

http://www.box.net/shared/gqd14sc52b

Balladeer

#1049750 - 12/01/07 09:14 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
OK, here's mine but first a disclaimer. I don't have the sheet music for this piece, in fact, I don't even own the CD it's on. I heard it a few years ago at a friends house and really liked the melody. When I learned the title, I liked the piece even more since in the CD version George Winston does a left to right fade through the whole piece which evokes the image of you being in your home and minstrels playing while they passed by. I thought that was pretty cool. So, when I saw the holiday thread, I decided to spend a few minutes learning the melody (it's pretty simple) and record it. It's not normalized because that destroys the gradual fade in/fade out pianissimo and I might not play it exactly right (I'm operating on a two year old recollection) but, without any further ado:

Midnight Part Three: Minstrels

Hope you enjoy it and Merry Christmas!

#1049751 - 12/01/07 09:51 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

SH, I love the way you did the Greensleeves medly especially the beginning. It's really beautiful.

Matthijs, Sounds "nice" to me. \:\) That Rhodes sound is very appropriate.

#1049752 - 12/01/07 10:46 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Here's a simple version of one of my favorite carols-
Silent Night

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1049753 - 12/01/07 11:22 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
A couple from last years session...
It Must have been the Mistletoe

I attach Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas to an email and send out to colleagues just before Christmas
PTG Associate

#1049754 - 12/01/07 12:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Here's what most people think of when they think of Irving Berlin's White Christmas . It's actually just the chorus.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1049755 - 12/01/07 03:35 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
"Christmas Waltz" (Jule Styne): www.box.net/shared/26b8visyyi \:\)

#1049756 - 12/01/07 04:12 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ok here's mine, White Christmas, I tried to play my own version.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5vfBzRc2U

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1049757 - 12/01/07 04:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Great stuff everyone...

Here is a very short Greensleeves from the Alfred book one. Really haven't had time to work on a Christmas piece...

http://www.box.net/shared/oarnmtf7gt

#1049758 - 12/01/07 05:57 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MarKey:
Nice Hunky, are you still playing your BB? [/b]
VERY Soon!. Next wed in fact!.

Since our move, I have been playing and recording on the Roland digital.

I am eagerly awaiting my acoustic as we've been separated since April.

#1049759 - 12/01/07 07:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

To all, great christmas song!!

Here's another one, Silent Night

http://www.box.net/shared/o3ykxi98cr

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1049760 - 12/01/07 11:34 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Just now getting a chance to listen to some of the submissions. We had a bad snow storm here in northern Arizona last night and knocked out our satelite reception.

Anyway, Peyton[/b], your original x-mas song was really incredible. Your openeing chords gave me goosebumps!. Not bad singing either but it was your super nice chords and melody that did it for me.

Mahzeit[/b], what can I say but groovy!. That was a really kewl twist to x-mas staple.

Balladeer[/b], As always, your performance is perfect. It's going on my holiday music cd to ME !.

#1049761 - 12/02/07 05:05 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Yeah, we got a pretty bad snow storm here too. It started out as snow, then today we got freezing rain! So I decided to stay indoor and record a short X-mas piece.

It's called Greensleeves by the Mannheim Steamroller. It's got a long intro, so the meat & potato of the piece doesn't start till about 2 min in.

http://www.box.net/shared/9nnk1cg9nf

flickr

#1049762 - 12/02/07 06:15 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Balladeer- that was so sweet and mellow!

C7- Yea... I can really feel like I'm inside, it's snowing and there go those minstrels. Really nice. \:\)

#1049763 - 12/02/07 06:56 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here's another one... It's from last year as I haven't had the patience to actually learn one this year. I'm only one page into "Angels we have heard on high".... so this is

What Child is This

#1049764 - 12/02/07 10:22 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:
Originally posted by I played it better at home:
Here's another one... It's from last year as I haven't had the patience to actually learn one this year. I'm only one page into "Angels we have heard on high".... so this is

What Child is This [/b]
Very pretty arrangement of this song. Great job!

Char

#1049765 - 12/02/07 10:50 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the holiday cheer.

Here's my entry (be warned, it's kinda long...)
Walking in the Air

by Howard Blake, written for the TV adaptation of The Snowman by Raymond Briggs, arranged by George Winston. Most of the music came from the new George Winston piano solo book, but the bridge I got from another unreliable source and had to guess a little, so it isn't really faithful to George.

I'm still having trouble setting my Zoom H4 for the proper recording level--I had a better take that recorded too low--this one has a better overall level, but is clipped in a few spots. Sigh. On the other hand, we're having our first snowfall, which is fitting.

Here are the lyrics for anyone who is interested:

We're walking in the air
We're floating in the moonlit sky
The people far below are sleeping as we fly

I'm holding very tight
I'm riding in the midnight blue
I'm finding I can fly so high above with you

Far across the world
The villages go by like trees
The rivers and the hills
The forests and the streams

Children gaze open mouth
Taken by surprise
Nobody down below believes their eyes

We're surfing in the air
We're swimming in the frozen sky
We're drifting over icy
Mountains floating by

Suddenly swooping low on an ocean deep
Arousing of a mighty monster from its sleep

We're walking in the air
We're floating in the midnight sky

#1049766 - 12/02/07 11:13 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
gaffster Offline

Loc: east central florida
Nice Work All. Hope its OK, I made a xmas cd for my morning commute \:\) I saw that "the piano guy" did a nice "carol of the bells" show, anyone do that?

Here is an idea for snappy little xmas original. It is unusual in that it is a piano duo (as opposed to a duet). Maybe I'll finish it on xmas day.

http://www.box.net/shared/b3i7sfnolt

#1049767 - 12/03/07 02:50 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1049768 - 12/03/07 09:52 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Oh such great music! I still haven't gotten through it all thanks to that dratted stomach bug my son gave me, but I have played and enjoyed so far:

1.) Super-hunky's "What child is this/greensleeves". If this is a taste of what the "A super-hunky christmas" album is going to be like, I want a dozen copies. I really liked the high note flourishes you hit a couple of times.

2.) Peyton. When I saw you had a new song posted, I immediately called down to my daughter and we both sat and listened to it. A little slower than your usual fare, but very nice and contemplative. I'm glad you put that last verse in, though, as I was starting to feel a little depressed at the thought of an empty nest at Christmas time. \:D

3.) rustyfingers, GREAT JOB with the Winston piece, especially adding that bridge in. I have what's probably the same unofficial transcription as you do, but that part was way too intimidating for me. You play it like a pro.

4.) Mahlzeit, beautiful jazzy job on "silent night." And much more traditional than your unique "spooky night" (from a year or so ago?), which I still like to play every now and then just for something different.

5.) kawaigirl: I do love the Mannheim Steamroller arrangements, and as usual, expertly played.

My piano is being tuned on the 6th, and I hope to put in some recording time after that. With any luck I'll get something posted before the 25th.

#1049769 - 12/03/07 11:32 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Monica. I know it's slow but it's supposed to be a bitter sweet Christmas tune. It's not totally autobiographical but...I'm getting there. Only, after four years of my kid in GW University it won't be a house I walk back into...it will be a tent. \:D

#1049770 - 12/03/07 08:43 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
There is a post about how to reach performance standards....well.....the way I do it is to set my standards very low in the first place!! :p

You might have heard me play before so you know what to expect! \:D

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN

#1049771 - 12/04/07 12:54 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Thanks everyone for bringing in the holiday spirits. I have been doing Xmas cards and such, so this performance thread has been just the right thing.

#1049772 - 12/04/07 08:40 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've started to listen--it's getting me in the spirit. Here are a few comments:

Mr. S-H, My Favorite Things is one of my favorite things. We played this at my mom’s memorial service and had some of her things there as well! (She was a collector)

Christmas Time is Here: I used to sing this in an a cappella group. The harmonies are just stunning--I like the Jingle Bells reference at the end!

Peyton: Very poignant—I always get very nostalgic around Christmas. I can see that you do too. Thanks for sharing this very touching song. (another Jingle Bells quote—cool).

Mahlzeit: Silent night—very laid back and mellow--nice.

Balladeer: I’ll Be Home for Christmas—Another nostalgic piece—sounds like something from a 40s piano bar. I like it.

C7—neat song. You must have a great memory. How’d you do that?

#1049773 - 12/04/07 09:20 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:

C7—neat song. You must have a reat memory. How’d you do that? [/b]
Glad you enjoyed it. I seem to have a good memory for melodies, nowhere near on the level of Mozart (who could play a complicated piece from memory years later after only hearing it once) but if a melody catches my attention I generally tend to remember it, even years later.

#1049774 - 12/04/07 09:32 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's cool.

Monica, thanks for the kind words. This still has some rough spots, and I was kind of intimidated by it at first as well, but now I feel like the contrast makes the piece more interesting--if...v e r y....l o n g. \:\)

#1049775 - 12/04/07 10:44 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by rocky:
There is a post about how to reach performance standards....well.....the way I do it is to set my standards very low in the first place!! :p

You might have heard me play before so you know what to expect! \:D

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN [/b]
Hey, I thought that was my secret. \:D

flickr

#1049776 - 12/05/07 10:44 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had a chance to listen to a few more.

IrishMak—-Silent Night—so simple and yet so lovely. I hope you had a good time at the piano party this weekend. Sorry I couldn’t make it. I hope to meet you some time.

Monster M&H--It Must have Been the Mistletoe—This is a new one to me. Pretty. Your Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is a great idea for a Christmas greeting!

Epf--White Christmas--I love this one. When I was listening to it I was looking out at our first significant snowfall. Lovely.

Elssa--Christmas Waltz—neat effect. Sounds like a music box! I imagine a little Christmas ballerina dancing around at the beginning, then dissolve to an old fashioned ballroom.

Serge—-White Christmas. I really like the harmonies in this piece.

#1049777 - 12/05/07 05:04 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
The office has been enthralled all afternoon between the piano bar and the holiday recital \:\)

Mr. S-H - I really like the small high anticipations of the tune just before Greensleeves.

I *really* like having all the different versions of Greensleeves and Silent Night - they're a delight.

Monster M&H - what slick music! and I got Linus and Lucy for free!

Balladeer - that was sweet

Rocky, Rocky, Rocky! how come your piano sounds so much better than mine? I think we have the same one. Maybe it's the player?

Now I'm on the IBP thread!

Cathy

#1049778 - 12/05/07 07:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Super-Hunky, I enjoyed all of those. How do you get so much good stuff recorded? I can't even seem to get one piece recorded decently.

flickr

#1049779 - 12/05/07 07:43 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Peyton,

I enjoyed this last year, and it's even better this time around. Great job!

flickr

#1049780 - 12/05/07 07:52 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

mahlzeit,
Your take on Silent Night is interesting and enjoyable. Almost as cool as last year's version. \:D

flickr

#1049781 - 12/05/07 07:57 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Balladeer,
That's smooth and sweet. Great I'll Be Home.

flickr

#1049782 - 12/05/07 08:01 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

C7Player,
I don't know if it's right or not, but it sounds pretty good to me. I've never heard this piece before. Thanks for sharing it.

flickr

#1049783 - 12/05/07 08:04 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monster M&H,
Another repeat from last year. I enjoyed listening again. Very nice.

flickr

#1049784 - 12/05/07 08:07 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

epf,
Nice chorus of White Christmas. The layered organ sound is interesting.

flickr

#1049785 - 12/05/07 08:11 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

serge88,
Another nice White Christmas. That Roland is really nice. Now if we ever see the top of your head on the street, we will recognize you. \:D

flickr

#1049786 - 12/05/07 08:12 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mark...,
I enjoyed listening to your Greensleeves (or is it What Child is This?) \:D

flickr

#1049787 - 12/05/07 08:14 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Serge,
I enjoyed your Silent Night, too. Great job.

flickr

#1049788 - 12/05/07 08:16 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Kawaigirl,
That is a very special version of Greensleeves. Very nice!

flickr

#1049789 - 12/05/07 08:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Iplayeditbetterathome,
Nice Greensleeves/What Child is This from you, too. I enjoyed listening.

flickr

#1049790 - 12/05/07 08:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

rustyfingers,
I haven't heard this one before. It's a nice piece well played. Thanks for sharing the words, too.

flickr

#1049791 - 12/05/07 08:28 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

gaffster,
I enjoyed your Time of the Year. It does have that Holiday feeling, but it's far too short.

flickr

#1049792 - 12/05/07 08:44 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I started from the last and am working my way back.

Rocky I really loved this. Very clear and bouncy. you have a light touch. Great!

gafster - another bouncy piece. This is your own right? Amazing and I loved the fade out.

rustyfingers - I'm not familiar witht his one. It was lovely!

Kawaigirl1 - Nice too. I think I'll make a CD of all these Chistmas pieces! I don't think most will assume it's amateurs!

Serge88 - we can't get tired of hearing Silent Night. This was a nice arrangement. Was it by ear?

Mark...well it's the same as "What Child is This" so it's Christmas afterall...I loved it.

Serge88 - I love White Christmas! You did a great job!

Elssa - Christmas Waltz - I loved the voices you used. I think my digital can do this but I've never tried...Sounds like fun!

epf - This is is a great arrangement of a favourite! Thanks for sharing it!

Monster - Have yourself a merry little Chistmas - Fabulous - This will be at the end of my CD. and the first one was great as well!

IrishMak - Silent Night sounds equally great with a simpler arrangement - nice job!

C7 - Hadn't heard this one either - I really enjoyed it! I didn't realize normalizing destroys the ppp...hmmmmm

Blladeer - Loved this. I'll be home for Christmas is one of my favourites and you did a great job! I can't wait to put these on a CD and listen to comments from friends and family

mahlzeit - Nice to hear a jazzy version! It's still Christmassy

Peyton - I love your songs and admire your ability to sing and accompany yourself.

S-H - your ability to improvise always blows me away! If someone didn't write it I can't play it....come to think of it... even if they did write it it has to be simple.... Thanks for posting these three.

#1049793 - 12/06/07 12:01 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
gaffster Offline

Please indulge me here a minute. This is pretty silly.

I am setting the scene..... ..... ....

It is late on Christmas Eve and all through the HUGE cathedral not a pipe organ was stirring, not even a church lady in sight.

Down the from the spire comes _______ (insert your name here), and well..you just left the piano bar.

In the corner what do you see, why it's a 9' Baldwin Grand, in a cathedral? This must be a Baptist Cathedral (no small wonder music and spirituality have always been so connected)
And this is what you play ???

http://www.box.net/shared/t18q5zk0hn

My favorite carol of all time.
The moral of the story is-THIS is exactly why you don't see pianos in cathedrals. Happy Holidays to All and to All a Good Night-
Bobby (aka gaffster)

#1049794 - 12/06/07 12:09 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

ooooh gaffster, that's really nice! I like that rhythm. What's the sound effect you are using there?

#1049795 - 12/06/07 04:33 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yeah, put a nice delay effect on it and anything you play immediately sounds much better. ;\)

#1049796 - 12/06/07 07:38 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hunky:

Greensleeves/kings is just fab

Christmastime is my favourite...gosh that's delicious...loved the ending

Slowly building my "The Best of the Hunkster" album here

Dang Peyton! thats just so beautiful (wish I could sing like you) its kinda very sad though...I can't say how much I love it

Balladeer: Tim, I could still do with a matrix style brain infusion so I could play like you

to be continued...

#1049797 - 12/06/07 09:23 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mark: Greensleeves-Very pretty!

Kawaigirl-Greensleeves: I really like Manheim Steamroller, and this is a neat version of this piece. You play so well.

I played it better: What Child is This? THis is a very introspective arrangement. Nice.

#1049798 - 12/06/07 09:24 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
gaffster Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
Yeah, put a nice delay effect on it and anything you play immediately sounds much better. ;\) [/b]
Well not everything. Bach or Joplin for instance.
But When delay is long enough and acts as an echo that replies in sync with the tempo you can get some interesting results. As an electrical engineer who design radios for aircraft audio delay is usually a big problem. In fact if you heard your own voice delayed by 50mS, It is difficult to even read aloud.

#1049799 - 12/06/07 10:38 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Serge- two great rendentions. Nice playing
Kawaigirl- It was worth the intro...the meat and potatoes were great!
Rustyfingers- I really liked that! Long but I never lost interest.
gaffster- Your intro (setting the scene) cracked me up. And yea...I could almost picture it as I listened. But explain the blues part (must be the Baptists). And why no dancing girls? \:D

IPIBAH- That was a very sweet rendition. Nice intro too. Great playing.

#1049800 - 12/06/07 10:22 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
"Sounds like a music box!"

Thanks, Rustyfingers \:\) I love the sound of bells and usually go a little nuts with it around the holidays.. I use it for almost every song..Ukrainian Bell Carol, Silver Bells, etc. I'm using the Vibraphone setting on my Roland for this one (Christmas Waltz).

#1049801 - 12/06/07 11:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I found this in a big Christmas book of music from the library. I chose it because it's a little different, in fact it's unfamiliar to me. It also has a sweet, joyous melody, *and* it's easy and short so I can play it with very little practice!

Old Welsh New Year Song - piano version

I thought an organ may sound appropriate for this song too. It makes me imagine at the end of a midnight mass, the priest says "Go forth in joy and peace!" and the organ booms out this tune while the parishioners all happily march out into the frosty night!

Old Welsh New Year Song - organ version

So LaValse, have you heard this Welsh tune? The book says author is "traditonal Welsh song".

#1049802 - 12/07/07 05:09 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
Hi Rosanna,

Sorry, no, but I'll burn a CD and give it to my friends who sing in the local chiors... \:\)

#1049803 - 12/07/07 07:52 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Balladeer Offline

Happy Holidays, All ..

Here is slightly different take on an old Christmas favorite for your listening pleasure ... well, hopefully for someones's listening pleasure!

http://www.box.net/shared/tx146k88mv

Balladeer

#1049804 - 12/07/07 09:35 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Matthijs: Oooh yeah very jazzy...kool

Les (Monster M&H): love the email attachment fab, FAB! like 'em both actually

Greg: so haunting, so christmassy (is that a word?)

epf: nice chorus

Elssa: my that is just so pretty

Serge: nice video...better angle than mine, good quality too

hopefully more comments to follow, I shall pop them onto my MP3 player and try to listen to them all...gigging season is now fully underway and I'm just sooo busy

Lee

#1049805 - 12/07/07 12:37 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This is the Adult Beginner's[/b] Forum, right? Have listened to some of the pieces (very nice, by the way), but they sound like they've been played by non-beginning fingers. I feel sort of intimated to post anything (believe me, it will[/b] sound like a beginner, if I do).

By the way, please don't let my post discourage anyone from posting. Was just voicing my thoughts. \:\)

#1049806 - 12/07/07 01:56 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Akira:

Yes, this IS an adult "beginer" forum and while there are many *advanced* beginers here, rest assured that many of us are not!.

The only way we all can hear your progress is for you to post up your music at your current ability levels. For many of us, our greatest satisfaction is not only to listen to nice piano music but also hearing the growth and improvement of our members.

You will not find a more supportive gathering of piano enthusiasts anywhere on the planet so please join us and post up some of your music for all of us to enjoy.

#1049807 - 12/07/07 02:32 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Yes, it's confusing to me how AB's "rank" themselves here in the piano forum because there are all levels represented. While they are all adults, they do not represent a "true beginner" unless they are in the (for example) Alfred 1 and 2 books.

Perhaps they are using the idea that the opposite of a beginner is a "performer" or a person established in "classical literature", and therefore, every thing else in between the "true beginner" and the "performer" is in this forum. Perhaps, "Adult Learners" would be a 2nd title, above the "Adult Beginner", and perhaps "Returning Adult" would identify another facet of the AB's, with the higher level being "Adult Musician".

Something to think about. But I think AB's are very happy in their forum, a group of enthusiastic, supportive, and friendly adults.

To a piano teacher, and the method book publishers levels are:

Preparatory - Primer - Beginner - Easy Elementary
(All introductory and orientation for basic notation and beginning skills development)

Elementary (Level 1)

Late Elementary (Levels 2-3)

Early Intermediate (Levels 3-4)

Intermediate (Level 4)

Late Intermediate (Level 4-5-6)

Advanced

Professional

There are other ways to label these, and a difference of opinion may occur depending on the series being used, or the grading levels of certain "testing" membership associations.

The levels bring a student up through difficulty levels with the objective being proficiency and fluency in learning to play the piano.

Betty

#1049808 - 12/07/07 11:43 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Rosanna, that is a very pretty piece. I'm not familiar with it, but I think you played it quite well.

flickr

#1049809 - 12/07/07 11:44 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Balladeer, nice job on Silent Night. It's nice to hear different interpretations of the classic Christmas songs.

flickr

#1049810 - 12/08/07 12:58 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've been listening to the xmas pieces backwards.

Balladeer.....I love this jazzy version of Silent Night. Is this your own improv?

Rosanna....I have not heard of this piece before, but it is a very charming piece.

gaffster....What a pretty version of o holy night. I love how your played the ending.

rocky.....fantastic rendition of frosty the snowman! Everything was perfect \:\)

gaffster...this piece, "time of the year" is unfamiliar to me. However, I like the bounciness of the piece.

rustyfingers....what a beautiful piece! I had really enjoyed listening to it. Love the sound of your piano too.

i played it better at home...another beautiful piece and very well played.

serge88.....It's really neat to hear different versions of silent night. Txs for sharing \:\)

mark....this is a much more traditional sounding version of greensleeves than mine which is very nice to hear. Great job mark

epf....txs for sharing....i have a glass of eggnog in hand listening.

elssa.....i like the intro...quite lovely

monster...i always look forward to your renditions...

flickr

#1049811 - 12/08/07 07:58 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Balladeer Offline

Hi Kawaigirl1 ...

I'm happy you enjoyed my pieces. These are my arrangements - but of course I cannot yet play them on the fly. Getting them arranged and played up to an acceptable speed usually takes me a couple of hours. Settling on my chord choices is the difficult part - so much candy to choose from! ... but that's also the fun part for me.

Thanks again.

Balladeer

#1049812 - 12/08/07 01:50 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I finally had a chance to listen to the chrismas recital,

S-H, good improvisation.

Peyton, nice singing.

Malhzeit, I like that nice jazzy sound.

Balladeer, christmas spirit.

C7, great and you have a good memory.

Irishmak, sweet.

M&H good performance.

Elssa, lovely.

Epf, another beautiful White Christmas.

Mark, really nice.

Kawaigirl1, You play like a pro.

I play it better at home, yes I agree

RustyFingers, very well played.

Gaffster, Great job performance.

Rocky, that is really good.

Rosanna, great I prefer the piano version.

Thanks everyone for sharing this beautiful music.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049813 - 12/08/07 09:26 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

I still have a few more to listen to, but I wanted to pop in, first to say thanks for listening and being so generous and kind with your comments.

Also, guess what? I played an abbreviated version of my holiday piece live for my in-laws (a room of 7 people) tonight without throwing up on anyone. It was far from perfect, but I did it, and I have you guys to thank for that.

#1049814 - 12/11/07 06:19 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone \:\)

Here's my video submission

If you click on this link to my blog:-

Click here to go to seasides blog

I have just posted a video recorded (sadly on the secondary camera of my mobile phone) but, it gives you an idea of what it is like playing my favourite (its a kinda love hate relationship to be honest) out of tune lobby piano.

Somewhere in there is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas"

Merry Christmas everyone

Lee \:\)

#1049815 - 12/11/07 04:01 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lee, too bad the video is not really good. I have a Casio Ex-Z750 I can do video and photo on a memory card and it's not expensive.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049816 - 12/11/07 04:35 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh Christmas Tree

What Child Is This

I hope they're not too awful.

flickr

#1049817 - 12/11/07 04:52 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seaside,
Wow, that really gives me an idea what it's like to be playing for your crowd. Does it bother or at least distract you, all this noise while you play? Do you have to ignore them as much as they are ignoring you?!

#1049818 - 12/11/07 05:18 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Serge:

Yes, the video isn't very good but, it should give you a feel for what its like playing in a busy lobby/bar area . I'm looking into a better way to record the video...but that noise is just how it is!!!

Hi Rosanna:

Quote:
Do you have to ignore them as much as they are ignoring you?!
The secret is to just play for yourself and blank it all out for a while, after a few minutes your heart beat returns to normal and its okay from then on.

In the early evening most people just ignore you or they give maybe a little smile but at 2-00 AM in the morning! that lounge is a whole different experience!!...people have had a great time and want the party to carry on and if you sit on that piano you better be ready for requests!, drunks!, hot chicks \:\) (and erm...not so hot chicks )and mad sing-a-longs (I love every moment of it to be honest \:D )

I know it was a difficult video to watch so thanks for taking a look and saying something nice (at least there was no singing in this one ;\) )

Lee
\:\)

#1049819 - 12/11/07 05:55 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

rocky: Frosty the Snowman was cute

Tx: Oh Christmas Tree is just lovely how could that be awful? its delightful and what child is this is fab too...very nice playing as always

Lee

#1049820 - 12/11/07 06:05 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

TXDennis, both pieces were great! I like the rhythm, the bluesy sound and feel very much. And they were very well played.

Seaside, I know you are having fun, and I am really happy for you. (BTW your singing in the other demo video did make me laugh - but it's always a good thing to make others laugh!)

#1049821 - 12/11/07 06:08 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
GRRMIKE2 Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hi all. I've had great fun listening to all of the holiday songs. Isn't Christmas a great time to know how to play a little piano?! Here's my musical wish to you all.

Have Yourselves a Merry Little Christmas

Mike

#1049822 - 12/11/07 06:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

grrmike2, that's sweet! very clear recording quality too.

#1049823 - 12/11/07 08:15 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nice job, GRRMIKE2. Thanks for the good wishes - right back at ya, sir.

Seaside, Rosanna you are both too kind, as usual.

flickr

#1049824 - 12/11/07 10:57 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So, uhh... here's my "rockin" christmas carol!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XPSEORB19bQ

Camera shifts angles about 30 seconds into the song, thanks dad! ;\)

#1049825 - 12/12/07 01:01 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's another version of Holy Night this time I changed the chord and the accompaniement.

http://www.box.net/shared/0mulc72a6y

the old version,

http://www.box.net/shared/o3ykxi98cr

I wonder which one you prefer.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049826 - 12/12/07 01:04 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Debussy20, that's great but too bad the piano is not loud enough.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049827 - 12/12/07 07:42 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

GRRMIKE2: Always one of my fav Xmas tunes...a lovely version thanks

Serge: I prefer version 2

Matt: Love it

#1049828 - 12/12/07 09:40 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rossana, that was wonderful! Really nicely played.
TX-Denis- That little bit of blues you put in really makes it. It makes me want to get out my bass and do a little walking...

Seaside Lee- That's about the worst video quality I've seen in a while \:D but man it looks like you are really having some fun!! You have such a nice relaxed way of playing. Just great playing.

Mike- a really sweet version. That's a great arrangement.

#1049829 - 12/12/07 11:40 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Seaside Lee- That's about the worst video quality I've seen in a while
Oh Nooooo - What a wally I am!!! DOH!!!! :rolleyes:

I have just realized as I was flicking through the settings on my cameraphone this afternoon that I had the video set to the lowest quality for sending picture messages...duh

Had to try it at a higher setting this afternoon (I was so excited about my discovery!) this is just a little test and the angle is all wrong but it is Christmassy

Is this setting a little more watchable??...if it is, I'll try and record another over the next few nights at my favourite out of tune lobby piano

Video test at a higher setting...DOH!

Lee

#1049830 - 12/12/07 12:40 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
Oh Nooooo - What a wally I am!!! DOH!!!! :rolleyes: [/b]
LOL, a wally !?

Hey, Lee - I watched them both and I definitely think this one is better. Very pretty, by the way. I'd love to hear it through quality audio.

Now, THAT'S how to set a Holiday mood! Got your supps all lines up behind ya! How cool is it to have a piano at your gym!?

Iiiiiiii'm dreeeaaaaming of a Prolab Naturally Lean Matrix Cinnamon and Oatmeal MRP Christmaaas.....

#1049831 - 12/12/07 12:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Tina \:\)

Quote:
How cool is it to have a piano at your gym!?
its just waaay too cool

Quote:
Iiiiiiii'm dreeeaaaaming of a Prolab Naturally Lean Matrix Cinnamon and Oatmeal MRP Christmaaas.....
Yes...

Lee \:D

For wally read 'birdbrain' or think...erm...ya know? - 'dumb and dumber' that sort of thing...'buffoon'! thats it!! \:\)

#1049832 - 12/12/07 01:04 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TThomas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Seaside_Lee:
For wally read 'birdbrain' or think...erm...ya know? - 'dumb and dumber' that sort of thing...'buffoon'! thats it!! [/b]
Ahhhh. Well I should have known, as I've probably seen Dumb & Dumber 2-3 times! :rolleyes: Guess there's dumb, dumber, then me! Heck, I thought maybe it was some strange reference to Leave it to Beaver (not sure if that show aired in the UK).

Tina

#1049833 - 12/12/07 01:41 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

{{erm...trying not to take it too far off topic here ;\) }}

Leave it to Beaver?? erm nope

#1049834 - 12/12/07 01:45 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lee, quality is definitively better.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049835 - 12/12/07 03:30 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Matt and Seaside - great videos - my kinda piano \:D

Can't listen more today at work - too much goin' on, but I'll try again later in the week.

Cathy

#1049836 - 12/12/07 08:00 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Serge88, I prefer the chords in the new version quite a lot more. However I like the style (broken chords, rhythm) in the older version somewhat more.

Seaside, I gather this new video is the back of your juice bar at the gym? That's how you pump out music to all those people working out, eh? Yes, video quality is better with the higher resolution setting, but hate to say it, it's still only so-so - but that's what a cameraphone can do.

#1049837 - 12/12/07 08:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rocky: Frosty the Snowman. Nice quick tempo, and very consistent. Fun.

Gaffster: O Holy Night. This is one of my favorites, although playing it left me afraid to perform in public as I described in another thread. You obviously had fun playing with this one.

Rosanna: Old Welsh New Years Song: I liked this. I like hearing holiday music that is different. This is a new piece to me, but it’s very easy to listen to. I like the variations—sounds so different with the organ. That’s neat. (I prefer the piano version myself, but that’s just me).

Balladeer: Silent Night. I love these harmonies

TX Dennis: O Christmas Tree: Is the Charlie Brown (aka Vince Guaraldi) version with all those jazzy harmonies? Or your own doing? Whichever, I like it.

What Child is This? Interesting improv. The meandering melody line is creative, but there is enough repetition to make it recognizable. Nice work.

GRRMike: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Isn’t this a great carol? Despite the upbeat title, it always makes me feel a pang of nostalgia. Your playing of this simple but lovely arrangement does it justice.

Debussy20: First Snow—Quite a departure for you. Did you have fun? It was a lot of fun listening. Who was the band? Have you played with them before, and are you planning to do it again?

Serge: Silent Night: I think I like the first one with the more consistent rhythms better—but they are both nice. It’s fun to listen to how different you can make them.

Seaside: couldn’t listen to the videos because of an over-ring or something through my headphones. Sorry.

Now I'm ready to start my Christmas cards. Thanks for the holiday mood booster, everybody.

#1049838 - 12/12/07 09:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Serge88, I like the chords in the second version, but I think I prefer the accompaniment in the first version. They are both nice, though.

Seaside Lee, the video is MUCH better in the new one, but the sound quality (not your playing, mind you) is still rather dismal. I guess that's to be expected with a phone video, though. At any rate, nice playing!

rustyfingers, I guess I should have mentioned that those were both Guaraldi arrangements with a few modifications by me (some intentional and some not so intentional \:D .)

flickr

#1049839 - 12/12/07 11:12 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rusty and Serge88, I also prefer the piano version of the Welsh New Year Song. You can hear the triplets a lot better. But I posted the organ version because I kind of like the different mood.

#1049840 - 12/12/07 11:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Txs-Dennis, I enjoyed your rendition of "What child is This". \:\)

flickr

#1049841 - 12/13/07 09:41 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

I'm swamped with finals week here, so I am not able to write as detailed comments as I would like, but I did want to say that last night I listened to the new entries while grading a bunch of exams, and everybody did a terrific job! It was the best part of my evening and helped me to stay calm when idiot students got questions wrong that I had told them in advance would be on the exam!

#1049842 - 12/13/07 10:22 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
It was the best part of my evening and helped me to stay calm when idiot students got questions wrong that I had told them in advance would be on the exam! [/b]
Me "Ms. K said it would be on the exam, maybe we should at least read it".

buddy "Naw, she just said that to make us focus on it and not study something else so she can fail us".

Me "Really? Ya think? What will be on the test then?"

buddy "Who knows? My sister had her last year and got an A, lets ask her".

Sis "Just read the assignment, and think about what is being said. You'll do fine. Ms. K is very fair.

Me "Well, the test is tomorrow. You read the first half and I'll read the second and then tell each other what's in there".

buddy "OK, but lets screw off till morning. We can read it on the way to class, then it will be fresh".

Me "Good plan. Imagine how much time we would have wasted if we actually believed it would be on the test. I'm glad we talked."

#1049843 - 12/13/07 10:35 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

gmm1: \:D \:D

#1049844 - 12/13/07 11:16 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
GrrMike2 - lovely indeed; have yourself a merry christmas too \:\)

Serge88 - I prefer the second one too; nice playing.

Thanks for sharing...

#1049845 - 12/15/07 08:22 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Started this song just this week...so cut me some slack...there's a few fat finger moves and the quality isn't so great, recorded it on an Olympus DS30

Let It Snow

Starts with rt block chords and melody in both hands...bridge needs more work...
PTG Associate

#1049846 - 12/16/07 01:59 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Here's my contribution to the holiday recital.

This one is for Kawaigirl, I'd promised her a Christmas song today and this was what I was able to improvise and record this evening:

I\'ll Be Home for Christmas

The main emphasis of this piece is experimentation with texturally dense chord patterns. Let me know what you think.

Have been very busy lately, but hope to find time soon to listen and comment on everyone's submissions. Happy holidays, hope you like it, KG!

#1049847 - 12/16/07 03:10 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Monster, I like you arrangement very much - the syncopation adds a nice new twist to it. Very upbeat.

Van, I say your "experimentation" is a great sucess! It sounds sumptuous, flows beautifully, and has nice phrasing. I'd say it's one of my favorites of your playing so far.

#1049848 - 12/16/07 11:24 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
Van,

I liked that one a lot, particularly the left hand....sounded like an exta phrase found it's way in there near the start, but not certain about that.

Good work!

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#1049849 - 12/16/07 12:23 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monster, nice swingy piece. I wanted to get up to dance \:\)

Van, that was a very nice improvisation. The piece flowed together very nicely. Well done! \:\)

flickr

#1049850 - 12/16/07 12:34 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Funky_Fred Offline

Hope I'm not too late to the party, I've been very busy this season. Here are two contributions:

O Tannenbaun:

http://www.box.net/shared/exez5uhoz1

Pretty Paper:

http://www.box.net/shared/q2oziq5exk

#1049851 - 12/16/07 02:55 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monster, that recording quality is better than I had expected to hear from a cheap voice recorder. I enjoyed your version of this classic. A bit on the short side, though . . . \:D

flickr

#1049852 - 12/16/07 02:58 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Van, you certainly succeeded in making a dense arrangement. You also did a good job for the most part in bringing out the melody above the accompaniment. That is not easily accomplished with so dense an arrangement. I think I would prefer a bit faster tempo, but that is just my personal taste, and it would probably necessitate paring down the accompaniment somewhat. Good job.

flickr

#1049853 - 12/16/07 03:06 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Funky_Fred, you're never too late. Hey, I recognize that arrangement of Oh Tannenbaum. \:D Nice job. Pretty Paper is one we really don;t hear that often. It's an under appreciated piece, I think. Nice job. It sounds like you may have added a bit to the sheet music, or were you playing by ear. Now where is my Willie Nelson Christmas CD? Yes, I really do have that album somewhere, El Niño (his newer Christmas album), as well. My wife loves Willie Nelson, and I must admit that as a youngster he was one of my favorites.

flickr

#1049854 - 12/16/07 03:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Funky_fred, very nice job on both. I haven't heard Pretty Paper before, but I like it very much.

#1049855 - 12/16/07 03:47 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the kind remarks...workin' on lengthing it abit and shoring up the bridge.

FFred liked the chord changes in Pretty Paper.

Van nice job, enjoyed it.

KG GreenSleeves...another nice performance...
PTG Associate

#1049856 - 12/17/07 02:25 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

...thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

SH - Loved all your pieces, Hunky. Greensleeves is always a favorite and you did it very well, definitely Greensleeves but distinctly SH, enjoyed the melody improv.

Peyton - Very pretty and from the heart. I'm envious of your voice, whenever I try to sing I sound like I have a head cold. \:\)

Matthijs - A little too experimental for my taste but I'm happy to see you still pushing the envelope. I think that stereo effect was a bit too strong, I listened to this with earphones initially and got a slight headache \:\) Other than that really liked your voicing and phrasing, very sophisticated/understated.

Tim - One of my favorites, Balladeer, such a nice lovely sound, mellow and effortless. A fine sketch of the song, just the absolute minimum of details needed to bring out the its beauty, you're a true artist. I very much enjoyed listening to your Silent Night as well, Tim; beautiful sophisticated voicing, again lovely and understated, classy performance.

C7 - What a lovely performance, Greg, you sounded totally relaxed and confident here, wonderful touch, very pleasing to listen to.

Mak - A nice performance. You should push yourself to try the harder version, you sound ready for it.

Monster M&H - I enjoyed all three of your pieces, I think It Must have been the Mistletoe is my favorite, what a rich sophisticated sound, really nice playing, you really could make a living playing bars (this is supposed to be a compliment \:D ).

epf - Very nice, epf, enjoyed your phrasing. Was this an improvisation or from sheetmusic?

Elssa - What a lush confident performance, and with strings no less. Enjoyed listening to it.

Serge88 - You're brave to go video. Good performance and very interesting perspective on White Xmas. Enjoyed your Silent Night as well. Well played.

Mark - Beautiful performance. I've always loved greensleeves and you played it wonderfully here, a very stately performance (but too short!).

kawaigirl - One of my favorites. Have always loved this song and this version is excellent. Your playing is very beautiful, KG. You made the piano sound like a lute, an unvarnished arrangement that shows how beautiful this simple theme was, is and always will be.

I played it better at home - Very pretty arrangement...I can listen to this song in all its variations forever and not get tire of it. A lovely confident performance (you definitely need to change your name to something like "I Rock" \:\) ).

rustyfingers - Wow, what a pretty piece and so very well played. A lovely performance, rusty, you kept that tempo very well on a rather lengthy performance. Well played!

gaffster - a fun piece, and very evocative of what the holiday should be, too short though! Very much enjoyed your Holy Night piece as well, sure sounded like you had fun playing that one.

rocky - Big smile. It doesn't get more christmasy than this \:\) Thoroughly enjoyed your piece, straight and to the point.

Rosanna - Loved your performance of that Welsh piece, Rosanna. I think this is the first I've heard it and you've certainly made it sing; what a pretty piece but much too short! Very well played, I enjoyed listening to it.

Lee - I always enjoy your playing, and from the looks of it, I'm not the only one. Well done, looked like you had that crowd well in hand. \:\)

Dennis - Lovely performances on both pieces, Dennis. Definitely sing-alongable in that first piece. I liked those bent notes, slight touch of the blues, just enough to add interest without turning melancholy. A very interesting take on greensleeves; reminds me of Tim Hardin on piano (and that's a big compliment if you knew how much I like Tim's music)...this one is definitely melancholic, sounded like what the piano player would play at the end of the day when everyone have left and they're turning down the lights; a lovely performance, one of my favorites.

GRRMIKE2 - A gentle performance and to the point. Very nicely played. I enjoyed listening to it.

Debussy20 - OK Matt, you've totally ruined my image of you \:\) Looked like you had fun. Rock on dude!

Van - uhh, what Dennis said...

FunkyFred - Very well played on both pieces, I enjoyed listening to them, especially the second (more sophisticated voicing that you carried off very well). A confident relaxing performance. Well played!

....so are we up for a red-mistletoe award? \:D

#1049857 - 12/17/07 11:20 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by Van:
epf - Very nice, epf, enjoyed your phrasing. Was this an improvisation or from sheetmusic?[/b]
Umm...a little of both. I used sheet music for the basic melody, and then improvised the left hand, some of the notes in the right hand, and the phrasing/timing was from my own feel for the song.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1049858 - 12/17/07 05:03 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Musictuary Offline

Loc: Aurora, Illinois, USA
Hello Everyone,

Here is my contribution to the Holiday Performance Bar. It is an improvised version of Silent Night. In case the arrangement sounds familiar the inspiration behind this improvisation was Mark Almond's Piano for Life DVD series where he has a similar arrangement. Anyway FWIW it is my attempt to further my development into the realm of improvisation.

http://www.box.net/shared/dxmio4n9n5

#1049859 - 12/17/07 09:03 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
GRRMIKE2 Offline

I posted my audio recording earlier this month, but here is the same recording paired with video clips I made of my holiday traditions. Consider it my video Christmas card to ABF.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card

#1049860 - 12/17/07 09:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Musictuary Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GRRMIKE2:
I posted my audio recording earlier this month, but here is the same recording paired with video clips I made of my holiday traditions. Consider it my video Christmas card to ABF.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card [/b]
Very cute. I liked the drunken horsey!

Merry Christmas to you too.

From Suzanne (formerly known as Piano Rocks now Musictuary)

#1049861 - 12/17/07 09:48 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Musictuary, nice job on Silent Night. I like what you did with it.

flickr

#1049862 - 12/17/07 11:30 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Suzanne, your Silent Night was very nice.

GRRMIKE2, That Xmas video gave me lots of chuckles. Now I want to know who really drank that "martini"?

#1049863 - 12/18/07 05:45 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
RhondaLynne Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GRRMIKE2:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Video Christmas Card [/b]
I love it ! I'm still laughing.

#1049864 - 12/18/07 06:20 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Akira Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I've mustered up enough courage to post a contribution. Most of you are much better than I.

I've only been playing for four months (that's 16 lessons), so I'm afraid this is about the best it's going to get for the moment -- so please, no throwing tomatoes, okay? However, if you must, please be so kind as to at least toss them gently. \:\)

This is a stripped down version of Tchaikowsky's "Waltz of the Flowers," from the Nutcracker Suite, with about 80 percent of the notes missing. I'm not exactly sure if this is Christmas music, but they always perform the Nutcracker around this time of year, so I guess this qualifies. \:\)

Hope you enjoy my first recording. Will be interesting for me to return to this thread a year from now to see how much I've progressed.

Enjoy and happy holidays to everyone.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0mzk9tz121w

(2 megabyte download, < 1 minute download on broadband)

#1049865 - 12/18/07 06:38 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Akira,

How enthusiastic I am for your playing accomplishments in 16 lessons! I'm thrilled listening to the piece, a very steady dancing waltz bass, a singing melody, nuances effectively played, a nice sounding piano. Waltz of the Flowers never sounded better to my ears, because it's your waltz and very nicely done.

Yes!

Grin ;\)

Betty

#1049866 - 12/18/07 07:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Akira, wow, for 16 lessons, you are playing really well! Very steady, very clean - a great debut! Look forward to more of your playing next year - remember the recital in Feb \:\)

#1049867 - 12/18/07 10:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mike, that was freakin' hilarious. \:D

flickr

#1049868 - 12/18/07 10:35 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Akira, of course that is Christmas music! Very nicely played. You are on your way to a lifetime of enjoyment and beauty. Great job!

flickr

#1049869 - 12/18/07 11:25 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yesterday I played White Christmas for my teacher but she didn't like it, well she said: "It's nice but..."

She gave me advices and new chords to add. Tonight I did another recording. So here's the old version and the new version. Hope you like it.

White Christmas version 1

The new version is still shaky and I missed a few beat.

White Christmas version 2

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049870 - 12/18/07 11:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira:

I've only been playing for four months (that's 16 lessons), so I'm afraid this is about the best it's going to get for the moment -- so please, no throwing tomatoes, okay? However, if you must, toss them gently. \:\)

[/b]
Only four months that REALLY good.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049871 - 12/19/07 11:48 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Not only am I terribly tardy in commenting on all the pieces, I've been having a devil of a time getting a clean recording of my piece. As Christmas is rapidly approaching, I guess I'll abandon my goal of a clean take and settle for a take with one huge clunker in the middle [edit: I made a better recording and have swapped it out. Now there's one wrong note but not hideously obvious]:

"God rest ye merry gentlemen" arr. by David Nevue

#1049872 - 12/19/07 01:01 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mike the video was great...loved the snowflake LOL

Akira: Wow for 16 lessons! ...actually...never mind "for 16 lessons" its great even for many more than 16!!!

Van: a little busy for me but the melody was kept nicely on top

Funky Fred: beautiful playing sir, Pretty Paper is a new one to me and it sounded lovely thank you for posting them both

more when I get more time...sheesh I'm busy at the mo'...

#1049873 - 12/19/07 06:42 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
caroloz Offline

Loc: Essex, England
Hi everyone - I've just joined the party and thought I'd call in and say 'Happy Christmas'. Lovely music from you all, and all so varied. Akira especially - you are amazing - did you know anything about music at all before the 16 lessons? I started teaching myself 14 months ago and have been quite pleased with my progress, but I started from nowhere - didn't know a thing about music except how to listen and enjoy. However I guess I may be one of the eldest beginners, Just turned 69 last week - so maybe that means slow progress? I'm enjoying every minute of it although I haven't played today because I've been reading all the threads on here! happy holiday everyone!

#1049874 - 12/19/07 11:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serge88:
Yesterday I played White Christmas for my teacher but she didn't like it, well she said: "It's nice but..."

She gave me advices and new chords to add. Tonight I did another recording. So here's the old version and the new version. Hope you like it.

White Christmas version 1

The new version is still shaky and I missed a few beat.

White Christmas version 2

Serge [/b]
Version 2 is sweet, my friend. I enjoyed listening to that.

flickr

#1049875 - 12/19/07 11:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Monica, I like that version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Your recording is certainly not butchered. I missed the huge clunker, although perhaps you overused the sustain pedal in places. I often have difficulty with that, too. Odd, I suppose, considering that my old college piano instructor told me I had the best pedalling technique she had heard from any of her students. The key word, I guess, being "had." Of course, that was many years ago.

flickr

#1049876 - 12/19/07 11:21 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, caroloz! \:\)

#1049877 - 12/20/07 12:02 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Monica, that was beautiful! There was a clunker? I did not notice it.

flickr

#1049878 - 12/20/07 02:24 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Yeah, there was, Kawaigirl, but I finally got a cleaner take so I swapped out the recordings. The one that's up there now is better.

TX-Dennis, if overpedaling was a crime, I'd be a lifer. \:D In this particular piece, you're supposed to hold the pedal down for the entire early part where you're playing just the right hand. So I will plead Not Guilty on that section in exchange for a reduced sentence on the rest of the piece. \:D

#1049879 - 12/20/07 05:57 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

MK...nice job...wouldn't have expected anything less...

Hope everyone is on track for Christmas morning...gifts bought, decorations up...etc.
I know MSH got his gift...his M&H Bigboy is HOME for the holidays.
PTG Associate

#1049880 - 12/20/07 09:13 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Monica .... that was fantastic.

#1049881 - 12/20/07 09:17 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX-Dennis ... very nice.

My ear prefers ver 2.

#1049882 - 12/20/07 11:58 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

TX-Dennis, yes the version 2 is better, thanks to my teacher.

Monica, your recording is excellent.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049883 - 12/21/07 08:58 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Serge: version 2 is gorgeous \:D

Ooh Monica thats fantastic! \:D

#1049884 - 12/21/07 12:26 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Serge...I agree, I really like the second version...I like the OLD sound at Christmas time...
PTG Associate

#1049885 - 12/21/07 12:54 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I know I'm missing a bunch but it's been hard to get on and listen with all the holiday stuff going on.

Monica...That was awesome! And talk about your dramatic ending...It almost begs for an encore.

serge- Version two! Excellent!

Mike...Was that MUSTARD? That poor horse.

#1049886 - 12/21/07 01:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Where Are You Christmas... a few impromptu first take, again on that little Olympus DS30 digital recorder... Where Are You Christmas
btw...how do you post your songs so it doesn't have to be downloaded?? am I missing something?
PTG Associate

#1049887 - 12/21/07 01:28 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
btw...how do you post your songs so it doesn't have to be downloaded?? am I missing something? [/b]
It has to do with how the MP3 is encoded. What definitely works is 128 kbs or 192 kbs with constant bitrate (CBR) at 44100 Hz. (Yours is encoded at 48 kHz.)

#1049888 - 12/21/07 01:31 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OK...I'll have to pay closer attention on the next one...thanks mahlzeit...

You da man....thanks
PTG Associate

#1049889 - 12/21/07 10:10 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nice job, monster. I always enjoy your pieces.

flickr

#1049890 - 12/22/07 08:06 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just a quickie:
http://www.box.net/shared/qixawsaw4w

Merry Christmas, everyone! \:\)

#1049891 - 12/22/07 08:53 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
My first musical post on the ABF.

This is by ear.

I've been with Piano Magic for 11 months.

http://www.box.net/shared/84qewe1wkk

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Text

#1049892 - 12/22/07 09:41 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Tx-Dennis

Nice job mahlzeit...I liked it alot

Very nice Text...kinda dreamy effect...
PTG Associate

#1049893 - 12/22/07 12:41 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Wow, Text! That was extremely impressive. You've set a high bar for all your subsequent ABF recordings. \:D I really liked the intro part, too. Did you play piano before starting Piano Magic?

Mahlzeit, what a beautiful jazzy "O tannenbaum", and I'm assuming that was your improv in the middle? Very Guaraldi-ish. \:\)

Monster, you have given us so many nice pieces for this Christmas recital. It's hard for me to pick a favorite. "Where are you Christmas?" just might be it, though, because it's one I wasn't familiar with to begin with and I really like the melody.

Serge, I'm with the others: version 2 is wonderful. It didn't sound shaky at all to me. It made me want to sit in front of a fire with some hot chocolate. \:\)

#1049894 - 12/22/07 01:29 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Monica. I had to improvise that bit because I started the verse on the wrong beat. ;\)

#1049895 - 12/22/07 01:50 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Debbie57 Offline

Loc: Kansas
Thank you *all*. I have loved listening to each and every piece. There was joy to be had in all of them. My grumpy "I'm so sick of getting ready for this holiday" mood is totally gone. It was such pure pleasure to hear them.

#1049896 - 12/22/07 03:39 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

M&H, that's great I didn't know that song.

Mahlzeit, nice "tannenbaum", I like the improv.

Text, for 11 months that is a really good start.

Serge

-Keith Richards

#1049897 - 12/22/07 03:53 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
dannac Offline
500 Post Club Member

Text ..... only 11 months .... wow.
Hope to hear it again next year.

#1049898 - 12/22/07 04:29 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thats from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" story...thanks
PTG Associate

#1049899 - 12/22/07 05:56 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
For everybody at PWF, my first recording on internet.

Merry Christmas!

merry X-mas

Best regards,

Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Hndel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#1049900 - 12/22/07 08:39 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Very pretty, Johan! I really liked that arrangement, too. Where did you find it?

And congratulations on posting your first recording! Does that mean we can look forward to a recital piece from you in February?

#1049901 - 12/22/07 10:41 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

mahlzeit, that is a truly unique version. I like it! \:D

flickr

#1049902 - 12/22/07 10:44 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

text, White Christmas was the first Christmas song I played. I think I was 6 years old. I still have the (very simplified) sheet music. I wish I could play "by ear" like you are doing here. Very nice and dream like interpretation. How appropriate for the piece?

flickr

#1049903 - 12/22/07 10:47 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Johan, very nice job. That is an interesting arrangement of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. I've always enjoyed that song.

flickr

#1049904 - 12/23/07 07:36 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Balladeer Offline

Hi everyone -

Here's one of my favorites .... O Holy Night. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/dxab4te88k

Balladeer

#1049905 - 12/25/07 04:17 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Musictuary Offline

Balladeer

Very lovely rendition.

Merry Christmas!

#1049906 - 12/25/07 10:02 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Very nice, Balladeer. I enjoyed listening. Merry Christmas.

flickr

#1049907 - 12/28/07 05:45 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
text Offline

Loc: Windsor, United Kingdom
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica K.:
Wow, Text! That was extremely impressive. You've set a high bar for all your subsequent ABF recordings. \:D I really liked the intro part, too. Did you play piano before starting Piano Magic?

[/b]
Hi Monica

Thanks for your kind feedback. Hopefully I will continue to contribute to the ABF recitals.

I had organ lessons when I was a kid for a while but I hadn't touched a keyboard for over 25 years before I joined Pianomagic, which was when I bought my first piano.

cheers

Text

#1049908 - 12/28/07 11:53 AM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Monica K. Offline

Balladeer, you always play the loveliest pieces. Beautiful rendition of "O Holy Night." \:\)

#1049909 - 12/28/07 05:19 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Balladeer Offline

Hi Folks -

I hope you were all as blessed this Christmas as I was - and here's hoping for a terrific '08 for everyone! \:\)

Monica .. Musictuary, & TX-Dennis thanks for listening and for the kind comments. You all are an inspiration to me.

Balladeer

#1049910 - 12/29/07 05:58 PM Re: ABF Holiday Performances, (really nice holiday music from our members)
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Text, a lovely rendition, I remember we talked about einaudi last time you were here, have you tried any of his pieces yet?

Well played, Monica, has she got chops or has she got chops! Lovely.

Johan, congratulations! I enjoyed that arrangement immensely. Well played!

Your latest is sublime, Tim. I think I've said it before but your improv reminds me of Saint Saens or one of the other French romantic composers, very delicate, very tasteful and refined.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, Alkanaut, 44 invisible), 1763 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156231 Topics
2294511 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
07/28/14 06:50 PM
Intro to Elton John's 'Nikita'
by Visalia
07/28/14 06:31 PM
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
07/28/14 03:59 PM
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
07/28/14 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
07/28/14 12:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission