2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1052258 06/18/07 01:42 PM
Jodi_G Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm sure ya'll have heard this story many times... I took piano lessons for a few years as a child but as a teenager quit playing. For the last few years I've had the itch to start playing again (I'm 34) and we recently brought home a used upright. It's nothing special but I love it!

I was surprised at what came back to me when I sat down to stumble through a few beginner songs. Unfortunately lessons aren't an option right now, so I'm going to try to teach myself with some books, etc. I wish I could remember some of the techniques I was taught and hope I don't start any bad habits.

If any of ya'll have some good beginner book recomendations to help me along, I would appreciate it. I've found so much info on the net that I'm not quite sure where to start.

~ Jodi
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
welcome back to piano!

since you had lessons before, i'd suggest you get through some condensed method book quickly, rather than some method book series for adult beginners, something like "Piano Handbook":

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Handboo...mp;s=books&qid=1182190855&sr=8-1

which would give you a fresh review on every basic thing of playing piano, and at the same time, you start working on some easier music pieces and even some exercises. later, you can also get some piano technique books, such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Pia...mp;s=books&qid=1182191021&sr=1-4

which will tell you correct movments involved in playing piano.

anyway, good luck!

Jodi_G Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, I appreciate it!

~ Jodi
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi Jodi,

Alfred's Adult All-in-One moves along fairly quickly and combines technic, theory and repertoire in one book (though I find the arrangements pretty clunky). The same goes for Faber's Adult Piano Adventures. As you've taken lessons in the past you might be better off starting with book 2 - try to find a music store where you can look at the whole series.

Another way to approach it is just to learn pieces you like that reinforce the skills you have and challenge you enough to move you forward - I combine that with practicing scales and I find I'm making progress at a satisfactory rate without having to play things I really don't like the sound of (life is too short and I came to piano too late . . . )

You might like to look at the "Piano teacher needs advice on favorite methods for adults" thread that's running at the moment - a lot of people have made suggestions there that might be helpful to you.

Welcome to the forum!

Donna

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Jodi,

Welcome to the forum! I have started with the Alfred's Basic piano series for adults. For your situation, it depends on your experience with the piano. I never played the piano before this year, but I had experience with the violin and the cello back in high school. I found with the basic Alfred book, it refers to other books like the theory book and the "Piano Aerobics" book where your fingers get a thorough exercise. You may want to explore a more comprehensive lesson book from Alfred; it may help you save some money and you can work at your own pace. Also, the website musictheory.net is a great place to refresh your knowledge on music. I learned quite a bit from the lessons and trainers.

We all have busy schedules, and if you can devote at least 15 minutes to your piano once a day, that will help you keep your fingers in shape. Best wishes and promise yourself to experience the joy of playing the piano!

- Mark
-----------------------------------------------------------
...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Jodi G! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the piano will come back to you. smile And many of us are self-teaching and doing so successfully. This is a good place to get questions answered and find support and motivation.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission