Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1053365 - 12/02/08 03:44 AM Hello I have a question
Piano Goblin Offline

Loc: Virginia ,USA
Hello I just joined these forums and they look really interesting and friendly.

I have a final fantasy VII sheet called Final Fantasy Prelude.The song is very simple and is in the key C Major but it has arpeggios that go really far up and down the piano.I can start to play the song but I'm not used to going that far on the piano.Are there any practices that I can do to get better at arpeggios like this.

here is someone playing it on youtube for anyone who has not heard it. Final Fantasy Prelude

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1053366 - 12/02/08 04:03 AM Re: Hello I have a question
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Diego
To get better at arpeggios....you just need to practice them. Make sure you're using correct fingering and when you bring your thumb/third finger over depending on which hand the arpeggios are in don't twist your wrist much, just pulling the finger over will give better accuracy and speed.
The only way to get better at arpeggios is to practice them.

#1053367 - 12/02/08 04:07 AM Re: Hello I have a question
Piano Goblin Offline

Thank you

But my problem is I have never moved my hands that much.I can do the arpeggios fine in both hands but I haven't moved my hands that far what I was trying to say is how to do repeated arpeggios on the piano at very a wide range.

#1053368 - 12/02/08 04:24 AM Re: Hello I have a question
Piano Goblin Offline

I'm sorry if that last post was a little rude I was just frustrated with not being able to move my hands that far.What type of practice for arpeggios is good at moving them across the whole piano well.When I do their fingering it seems to be really hard to move them.Should I just try to jump them to the next octave and play in position.By the way I have only played for around six months so I'm still getting the hang of basic stuff with my Alfred's book.

opps I didn't see edit sorry for the double post.

#1053369 - 12/02/08 05:09 AM Re: Hello I have a question
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, like I said, the only way to really get down arpeggios is to practice them. Even if it's all the way up the piano. First practice getting a very clean two octave, then branch out to three, then add a fourth, and if you can do clean four you should be able to go any distance that you need to from there. What are the exact notes you're playing? Is it just straight normal arpeggios?
If so, just practice building your arpeggios past one octave, up an up. They take time to learn to do well. You'll need to get very good at pulling your thumb under your hand to get to the next octave. You'll need to work quite a bit at this.
In the video you posted he basically shows you what you need to do. While the right hand is ascending, you'll pull the thumb under to reach the next octave and then move the rest of your hand up from there to play in position. With the left hand you you'll the third finger up after you play the octave with you're thumb. That's for ascending.
Descending you'll need to basically do the opposite, the right hand fingering is now the left hands while the left hand's is the right hands now.
Do you have a teacher? If so, ask him to show you how to do these. I can only explain so much through text online.

#1053370 - 12/02/08 09:53 AM Re: Hello I have a question
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Hi PG,
I know it seems intimidating but if you just play only the arppegios over and over-just take your time and play them in each octave-maybe even have a goal and say I will do this 5 times in a row-its doesnt have to sound great or be perfect, you might even have to search for the right notes at first. But the more you move around on the keyboard the more comfortable you will feel and before you know it you will be able to play them with your eyes closed.
(sorry if this reply seems like rambling-I'm not the best writer-LOL)

#1053371 - 12/02/08 10:19 AM Re: Hello I have a question
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
Someone posted a YouTube of Liberace. The first thing I noticed was his excellent arpeggio tecnique.

Try taking a look at that. I found it helpful.

#1053372 - 12/02/08 11:49 AM Re: Hello I have a question
Piano Goblin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xxmynameisjohnxx:
Well, like I said, the only way to really get down arpeggios is to practice them. Even if it's all the way up the piano. First practice getting a very clean two octave, then branch out to three, then add a fourth, and if you can do clean four you should be able to go any distance that you need to from there. What are the exact notes you're playing? Is it just straight normal arpeggios?
If so, just practice building your arpeggios past one octave, up an up. They take time to learn to do well. You'll need to get very good at pulling your thumb under your hand to get to the next octave. You'll need to work quite a bit at this.
In the video you posted he basically shows you what you need to do. While the right hand is ascending, you'll pull the thumb under to reach the next octave and then move the rest of your hand up from there to play in position. With the left hand you you'll the third finger up after you play the octave with you're thumb. That's for ascending.
Descending you'll need to basically do the opposite, the right hand fingering is now the left hands while the left hand's is the right hands now.
Do you have a teacher? If so, ask him to show you how to do these. I can only explain so much through text online. [/b]
Thanks I tried to really study the hands in the video and I'm up to three clean octaves.The ones in the Prelude are hard because they are c d e g instead of c e g

#1053373 - 12/02/08 04:18 PM Re: Hello I have a question
xxmynameisjohnxx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh yeah sometimes adding in an extra note can be a pain, but you just have to make sure you practice. That's the only way to get better at arpeggios, practice em. A year and a half ago I couldn't do any arpeggios well, my old teacher didn't force me to, but now I can play pretty much any arpeggio as far as needed.
For the CDEG I'd use [left hand] C with 5, D with 4, E with 3, G with 2, octave C with 1, then bring the fourth finger over the top and continue.
Right hand I'd use C with 1, D with 2, E with 3, G with 4, then bring the thumb under and hit the octave C with 1. Kay?

#1053374 - 12/02/08 05:45 PM Re: Hello I have a question
Piano Goblin Offline

Thanks a lot the left hand fingering helped me a lot :-)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, anotherscott, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1608 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156315 Topics
2295749 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
21 minutes 31 seconds ago
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
Today at 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
Today at 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
Today at 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
Today at 03:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission