Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1053604 - 10/24/08 03:48 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Hunky,

I am so very glad you shared, for the reasons Kymber and Betty already offered.

Even though Gyro can always be counted upon to be consistently, aggressively and absurdly contrarian, there's no way of predicting in which threads he will choose to appear. He can't limit himself to areas in which he has something to contribute (like prices and features of digital pianos), and instead weighs in regularly as a self-styled expert on everything from linguistics and pedagogy to medicine!

It is outrageous to deny that a medical condition has medical basis, and outrageously hurtful to minimize and belittle its impact on anyone suffering from it. FWIW, I, too, have a chronic condition of the sort that can go dormant for decades but is manageable owing to the miracles of modern medicine (yes, Western medicine \:o ). But if undetected and untreated until it manifests itself—as Gyro would apparently advocate—it can be lethal.

It takes a certain courage and leap of faith to make personal disclosures in a public forum; my own revelation of chronic depression was treated with unexpected skepticism and even ignorance by more than poster here last summer. Nevertheless, you should have every expectation of sympathy and support from what is, after all, a caring community. I applaud your candor, and I couldn't be more sympathetic and supportive about what you're dealing with.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1053605 - 10/24/08 04:04 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
"chronic depression"

Steven,
Another illness people can't comprehend unless they experience it. I wish you well also. I know how difficult chronic depression can be to deal with just from seeing friends lives basically fall apart in front of my eyes. What is so difficult for me is that I understand to small extent how they feel (I get occassional 'bouts of mild depression-I think it runs in my family) there's isnt alot I can do to help them, except to be a sympathetic ear.

#1053606 - 10/24/08 04:59 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Gyro, are you insane? seriously.
Gyro is an example of everything that can go wrong in forums. His totally insulting response to your very real problems is perhaps the most serious example of that.

PLEASE give him the attention he deserves. None.

#1053607 - 10/24/08 05:34 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Busy Bee Offline

Wow, I can't begin to imagine the level of insensitivity that Gyro must feel. That is hitting below the belt. I just don't know what to say except wow, wow, wow...

Gyro, you do realize that at some point in this lifetime you will face what you have given and I don't think I would want to be in your shoes!

Hunky,

Like I said above...

#1053608 - 10/24/08 06:30 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Super-hunky: Classy response to an insensitive post.

We got your back. :2hearts:

#1053609 - 10/24/08 08:19 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Carol I. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Super-hunky, don't give those posts any further thought. That kind of warped attitude is a way bigger problem for him than anyone else. We're all behind you completely.

Carol
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-380
Roland Digital Harpsichord C-30

#1053610 - 10/24/08 08:25 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Everybody is spot on. Ignore Gyro. As Gary D. pointed out, he deserves no attention. \:\)

#1053611 - 10/24/08 08:57 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Semper Bösendorfer Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Reading the interesting - but really sad - discussion on Lyme disease, I raise the question whether anyone has ever experienced whilst going to sleep what is known as 'hypnogogic non-psychotic musical hallucinations'?

After an accident overseas, fortunately now well in the past, I was precribed whilst rehabilitating a common anti-depressant medication. It was established that this was the cause of hearing distinct music when going to sleep. Once the medication was withdrawn it stopped - never to re-occur.

Recently there has been quite a lot written in professional journals about so-called 'musical hallucinations' of this non-psychotic type that affect sleep. (See e.g. "The Psychopathology of Musical Hallucinations" R. Mahendran, Singapore Med. Jornal, 2007, Vol. 48, No. 2. pp. 68 - 70 - passim). I will happily send a copy for anyone's personal interest and/or study.

Let me say it was really scary at the tie. The 'music' heard all was strongly tonic (no pun intended) based, and loosely late romantic in style, richly orchestrated. It apparently affects different persons differently.

Sleep is precious for everyone - and when I am tired my musical ability suffers markedly - hence my feeling deeply for those afflicted with **any** type of insomnia.

But given the thread and "Pianoworld" generally, I would be really interested if anyone elsehas had hynogogic, i.e. 'going to sleep' musical hallucinations as I have described?

And if so - whether in the case of those whose living is based on piano teaching/performing, such music was perhaps piano based?

All the best from an unusually warm Victorian spring!

ILH

#1053612 - 10/25/08 02:57 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Hi S-H:

When I was sick, I went to a lot of doctors who would pooh-pooh my symptoms (inability to digest food and extreme loss of weight, fatigue, etc.). I found that when doctors, and people in general, are ignorant, they tend to say "it's all in your head", rather than admit that they don't know what the problem is or what to do about it. It turned out that in addition to the Giardia, (and most likely caused by the Giardia/chronic inflammation), I had a tumor the "size of a football" in my abdominal cavity that needed extensive surgery. It had taken over a year and a dozen doctors previously to get anyone to take my symptoms seriously. They all said it was "stress" and tried to put me on some lousy psychotropic medication. I've heard of so many people going through the same thing, so we're not alone. You can probably even see your swollen inflamed joints, in addition to feeling them. A lot of scientists these days think that chronic infection of bacteria, as with Lyme, or other organism is the cause of most disease these days, including heart disease (probably made worse by today's common high sugar/grain diet). Sad that some people have no compassion (or education) about all this, isn't it? Wishing you all the best. \:\)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/25/lyme-disease-part-two.aspx

www.csprosystems.com

#1053613 - 10/25/08 03:04 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Elssa:
A lot of scientists these days think that chronic infection of bacteria, as with Lyme, or other organism is the cause of most disease these days, including heart disease (probably made worse by today's common high sugar/grain diet). [/b]
Interesting, do tell us more.

#1053614 - 10/25/08 03:05 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
keyboardklutz Offline

Aha. Beat you to Sir btb!

#1053615 - 10/25/08 04:10 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
pixy Offline

Loc: Rochester, UK
I just wanted to join all the good wishes expressed by the forum members.
I really appreciate you, and always enjoyed your posts spiced with your sense of humor.
Just ignore Gyro. He often annoys me, so I opted out for stopping reading his posts, they are absolutely worthless IMHO. Do not let the moody Mr Grumpy obscure the warm feeling showed of everybody else.

All the best for you. Hope that you get better.

#1053616 - 10/25/08 06:53 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Boira Online   content

Loc: Barcelona
Oh my.
I'm still trying to assimilate Gyro's post. It's beyond the realm of common sense

#1053617 - 10/25/08 07:39 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
keystring Offline

Loc: Canada
Hunky,
Don't discount what you have done. You are an example of courage, perseverence - you are going after what you want to do despite all that, always aiming for your goals. How many people reading your story, and also having read your numerous lighter things where you are nonetheless fully involved in music, will be touched by this? How many are struggling against unknown things? How many may be focusing on half empty glasses instead of half full ones? How many people have you helped and inspired, and continue doing so, simply by having shared this?

You know better than to take that nonsense seriously - though it is more than normal to have been stung; sheesh, who wouldn't be!

Gyro, that kind of wishful and magical thinking doesn't help anybody. There is a line between positive thinking and denying what is there. It is cruel, not helpful, to throw out statements of this kind.

#1053618 - 10/25/08 10:40 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Sabre2552 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I am horrible at falling asleep, but I can usually fall asleep in less than 20 minutes if I play a TV show like South Park or Family Guy in the background. I usually doze off right in the middle of it. I don't watch it, and I make sure that the screen's light won't distract me, and I just fall asleep listening to it. It takes my mind off of myself and my physical body and makes the transition to sleep easier.

#1053619 - 10/27/08 12:53 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
I am really annoyed at the insensitivity of Gyro. I make it a point not to respond to any of his absurd comments, but this time, I just have to say that he is a first class boor.

I am so sorry that Super Hunky is going through all of this. The combination of unrelenting pain and insomnia is dreadful enough to deal with. Our wonderful Super Hunky certainly doesn't need such cruel comments from Gyro. The milk human kindness runs thin in Gyro's veins. Gaby Tu

#1053620 - 10/27/08 02:37 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
keyboardklutz Offline

No one is forced to read his posts. A very quick skim does for me.

#1053621 - 10/27/08 07:10 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
No one is forced to read his posts. [/b]
But most do just naturally - and not because of their anticipated enlightened and informed insights, but precisely & hopefully because of the often (and alleged) lack thereof.

Quote:
A very quick skim does for me. [/b]
It would seem that for many here even a "quick skim" would amount - in effect - to a "casual perusal".

Regards

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1053622 - 10/27/08 10:23 AM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

[YD]: I've removed offensive post.

#1053623 - 10/27/08 12:05 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

[YD]: Offensive quote removed.

Okay, now the gloves have to come off.

You are full of it, Gyro. There's no other way to put it.

It is precisely because—and ONLY because—of "those expensive 'anti-AIDS' drugs" that people are no longer dying.

It all changed in 1996 with the introduction of the first drugs in the protease inhibitor category. In the past twenty years, we have gone from an arsenal of exactly ONE inefficient drug to dozens from which to choose that actually do what they are supposed to. They work, and they are the only thing that works. If you don't take them, you die. Sometimes you die anyway.

What's your personal experience here that confers any authority whatsoever on your delusional opinion?

Why in the world can you not stick to the one single area in which you have an iota of knowledge—the prices of digital pianos? Your net contribution to this forum is beyond merely negative because you are so far beyond ignorant. Your unique combination of insolence and ignorance makes you uniquely dangerous.

Be warned: keep posting bull**** and you will be called out each and every time. I'm fed up with it, and I can copy and paste my own rebuttals to your idiocy just as readily as you can post your garbage.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1053624 - 10/27/08 12:20 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

[YD]: Offensive and OT post removed

#1053625 - 10/27/08 12:26 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

[YD] Offensive & OT quote removed.

The only liar here is you, Gyro, and no one is gullible here except the newbies you attempt to poison.

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1053626 - 10/27/08 12:37 PM Re: How do you get a good nights sleep?.
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Wow, guys. this is FAR off topic here. Mr. S-H, I am afraid if you still have not gotten enough answers re: original question (also OTm BTW), you'll have to ask again. This topic is now CLOSED.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (AtomicBond, Atrys, AZNpiano, Beemer, 16 invisible), 1153 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153721 Topics
2253469 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Eagles - Hotel California (Piano Cover)
by Mr. Pianoman
51 minutes 0 seconds ago
Student growing tall
by pianoplayer84
Today at 02:41 AM
Whole tone scales leading to interesting series of keys
by caters
Today at 12:16 AM
Another beginner
by mojoe
Today at 12:02 AM
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
Yesterday at 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission