Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1053635 - 12/02/08 02:10 AM OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Loc: Hawaii

Aloha! Hopefully we'll see photos of the Holidays from all parts of the world. Thought I I would start. Mele Kalikimaka!!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1053636 - 12/02/08 08:57 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI

Our Westie ... Mason
PTG Associate

#1053637 - 12/02/08 10:43 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Monster M&H,

You're shot looks like postcard. Thanks for sharing!

#1053638 - 12/03/08 04:44 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, now if he only would behave as innocent as he looks...lol
PTG Associate

#1053639 - 12/03/08 12:07 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
charliemarley Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
How do you get your dogs to pose so perfectly? My little dog is extremely afraid of the camera. I've tried to turn the flash off but then the camera beeps and my dog begins to shake like crazy then she runs and hides in the basement! Poor girl. But I would love to have a picture of her like the ones you have of your dogs.
Charlie

#1053640 - 12/03/08 12:44 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

How do you get your dogs to pose so perfectly? My little dog is extremely afraid of the camera. I've tried to turn the flash off but then the camera beeps and my dog begins to shake like crazy then she runs and hides in the basement! Poor girl. But I would love to have a picture of her like the ones you have of your dogs.
Charlie
-----------

Have lots of treats ready. Make her stay still, for a second, with the camera in front, give her a treat. Next make her stay, take a shot, give her a treat. If she runs, no treat. Make sure she sees and smells the treat. Hope this works. I've got my dog to stand up, get shot and drop to the ground dead. The kids love it. :p

#1053641 - 12/04/08 10:14 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
charliemarley Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Polostrings,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it...she really likes liver so I'll have to make up a batch and see if I can persuade her to give me a picture. So, first, I just kinda hold the camera in front of her and give her a treat, then, once she buys that, I can maybe take the picture? Right?
How long did it take for your dog to accept the "play dead" game?
Charlie

#1053642 - 12/04/08 11:16 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Polo, where did you take that pic...in your backyard or somewhere else? What island are you on?.. we could never get Mason to sit long enough to put a cap on though...nice job

Mine was taken last year at the pet store by photographer, there were a ton of other dogs around and it was hard to get him to pay attention. They re-did the photo to take the leash out, was held straight up and I think she took about 8-10 digital photos, then they brought them up on the PC and you picked out the ones you wanted...she even mentioned that pic may end up in her Calander... \:\( no royalties though...lol
PTG Associate

#1053643 - 12/04/08 11:35 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
RatMan Offline

Loc: Bonneville Salt Flats
Since I've had so much trouble with cable providers blocking my little webserver, I've started putting some of my stuff on my isp's server.

I've been trying to do a photoblog...and it's hit and miss. But here's a photo I called "A hint of seasoning" (since I needed a title for consistency with the rest of the blog.)

We'll see if this works. The shot presented (to me) a mental image of a Christmas tree and the beads of water on the glass reminded me of decorative ornaments, hence the name hinting at the Christmas season.

Here's the url for the site on my server where the blog resides:
The Rat\'s Nest

If you're on a cable provider (Comcast, AT&T, Cox, Roadrunner) there's a chance you won't be able to see this. I believe the problem lies in the software (Sandvine) used to disrupt illegal peer-to-peer file streaming (which I don't use) and my site seems to be caught up in it.

I'm continuing to pester as many people as I can to get this resolved, but it's like trying to shoot a ghost. Most of the time, I can't see the target and others tell me it's not there. I'll keep trying.
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing (I ain't thru doin the camera thing.)
http://www.chevyasylum.com
http://www.raytherat.com

#1053644 - 12/04/08 04:51 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Charlie,

Let me know if it works for you. It took Godzilla, 2 weeks to do the get shot trick. I'll try to youtube it for you. It's pretty funny.

Monster MH,

The photo was a few years back, in my surfing days. It's on the North Shore of Oahu, on a beach called Laniakea's. Glad it is not my backyard, there are 25 foot waves today. If you can teach your dog to stay still with a treat, just put in in front of him and make him stay, you can probably get a hat on him. Now if I can find those reindeer antlers:-)

Ratman,

You continue to amaze me with your artistry in photography. Thanks for sharing.

#1053645 - 12/04/08 11:46 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
Hey Ratman,

I finally get to see a pic that you've posted!!!! I like that "A hint of seasoning". Thats a cool pic.

Thanxs for posting, KaylaX (formerly aspenxtreme)

#1053646 - 12/05/08 02:54 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
RatMan Offline

Hi Kayla. Are you, by any chance on Comcast cable internet? I'm trying to fight this problem to the death...its or mine.

Comcast, Cox, Roadrunner and now AT&T are creating problems for their customers in a lot of ways and blocking or "delaying" (another word for telling each end of the sending and receiving pair that the other guy hung up on 'em) message packets. So far they've finally admitted to doing this on peer-to-peer data streaming like pirating DVDs and music and swapping 'em around on the web. Comcast felt this was a bad thing, so it got its internet backbone provider (Level3.net) to use a program called Sandvine. And it forges message packets to make it look, as I wrote, like the other party terminated the connection. This, btw is a violation of the stance of internet neutrality. Think of is in terms of a telephone line. You can't call your phone company and say, I don't want anyone to call this or that person because I don't like them and expect to have that person's phone shut off. But that's exactly what's happening with Comcast, Level3.net and other broadband providers. If someone complains, the site that was complained about gets blacklisted or blocked (by a set of rules that aren't available to any one outside of the internet company...so you don't even know why you've been blocked...and you cant even get 'em to admit that they might be blocking. It all comes back to a finger-pointing deal. It's drivin me nuts.

Anyway, I don't do P2P file streaming. But I think they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. They've made some rules that I suspect are killing my connection between my server and the outside world through some pathways. Why me? I have no idea. If you search for blacklisted sites, you won't find mine there.

It's late, I've been going since 6 am and I'm rather tired. I think bed sounds real good right about now.

Btw, here's a collage I did today for a 16x20 poster

Warning: the file is over 3mb, so it might just take a while if you've got a slow connection.

Yes, those are my hands, shot with available light (the only light was from my monitor), the ISO jacked up to 1600 and the lens open all the way to f2.8. It still took 1/10th to 1/5th of a second to get the exposure. It was an interesting experiment. I'll hit Costco tomorrow for a 16x20 print (they're $7 each...pretty cheap in my book.)

I'm falling asleep. I'm outta here.

#1053647 - 12/05/08 12:28 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
KaylaX Offline

HI Ratman,

Yes, im on Comcast. Its all I can get out here in the country. Its high speed internet. I have never been able to see any of you posts. I think you tried to send me car pics once and it just didnt work at all. So it was neat to finally see something from you.

KaylaX

#1053648 - 12/06/08 02:15 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
RatMan Offline

I think there's good news on the event horizon...unless I get sucked into a black hole or something.

I spent a long time on the phone with a tech support manager and then a network analyst at the isp that handles my DSL connection. Eventually, the analyst was able to see what I had been telling people: that since sometime in September, more and more broadband users were unable to connect to my web server.

I was able to call a friend in Chicago (and catch him home...a minor miracle, since he's a jeweler and this is one of the busiest times of the year for him) and the analyst could see for himself that the problem existed for some people but not for others. When we reached that point, it was the end of the day so we made a game plan for Monday. The analyst stated that he'd stay with this problem until it was cleared up. That's a major miracle!

Even if we (for some reason like the alignment of the planets or sunspots) can't nail it down, I still have plan B and plan C. I think I might be a teeny bit obsessive about things like this. But then my motto seems to be, "if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I uploaded to my isp's server an Andy Warhol-esque collage that I made of a hand on the neck of a string instrument and then "adjusted it" a few different ways:

This is a small one. The original I created was 16x20 inches at 300 dpi, which resulted in a 9mb file...and I didn't think people would like seeing that load every time they checked this thread.

If people want prints of it, I can put it on ImageKind so prints can be ordered there. I have no idea if it's any good, but...well, a lot of people have asked me for prints of this one, too:

I can't remember if I posted this here or not. In any case, it shows the 3 states of water: ice crystals on top of the mailbox, water droplets on the side and then steam rising from the area that the sun is heating. One person likened it to the Holy Trinity. I suppose one could see it there if they looked for it. Again, if people want it, I'll put it in my ImageKind gallery and anyone who wants it can get it from them.

I sure hope we're closing in on a solution to a 3-month nightmare. It's be nice just to be able to work on current projects, play the bass and organ (I'm workin on 'em every day...and the calluses on my fingertips from stopping the strings have come back after degrading for the 6 weeks I was on the road.

Enough. I'm gonna eat my midnight snack (chile verde burrito leftover from lunch...I may have some interesting dreams tonight) and get to bed.

#1053649 - 12/06/08 05:15 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Now I believe,

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1053650 - 12/07/08 03:00 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Serge 88, Great Santa shot! I believe too!

\:D

#1053651 - 12/07/08 03:05 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Here's our tree this year. My son picked it out. It was 2 ft too long, and a little crooked. Then parts of the lights went out after we put everything on. It'll have to do. It's perfect for us. \:\)

#1053652 - 12/07/08 03:56 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

polostrings,

It's beautiful!

Lisztener

#1053653 - 12/07/08 11:14 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
KaylaX Offline

Hi Polostrings,

I like your tree. And I love your collection of nutcrackers. They are so cool!!!!And, WOW what a view.

BTW How are those polo ponies \:\)

KaylaX ( formerly aspenx )

#1053654 - 12/07/08 02:58 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KaylaX:
Hi Polostrings,

I like your tree. And I love your collection of nutcrackers. They are so cool!!!!And, WOW what a view.

BTW How are those polo ponies \:\)

KaylaX ( formerly aspenx ) [/b]
Thanks for the comments. The Nutcrackers started many years ago when Kawai, HI and I got engaged. We went to the ballet that evening. Every year, since, she gets a Nutcracker at the ballet, and a proposal. She still hasn't said no. As you can see from the collection, that was many years ago. \:D

The ponies are doing well. They are out to pasture, running around like a herd of crazy horses. I don't know about over there, but the price of feed here skyrocketed, which is tough, when the pasture doesn't have a lot of grass at the moment. We thought maybe we can put some antlers on one of the ponies for a picture, but that may be pushing it.

Mele Kalikimaka!!

#1053655 - 12/07/08 03:30 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Polostrings, you have a nice view of the sea.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1053656 - 12/07/08 10:01 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Kawai, HI Offline

Monster M & H, cute dog. My friend has one of this breed, smart, smart, smart. I swear that dog would open doors if she had opposable thumbs.

Ratman, your shots are amazing as always. The one of the tree thru the glass is outstanding. You really should think about professional photography.

Serge88, Holy Cats! He does exist! I do believe!

KaylaX, How's Chief? How about some antlers for him? He seems pretty bomb proof. The ponies are all fuzzy with their winter coats. The look prehistoric.

#1053657 - 12/08/08 11:22 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
KaylaX Offline

Kawai,Hi and Polostrings

My daughter keeps asking when we will put out our decorations for Christmas. I think she is finally getting the idea of this x-mas stuff. Last year she was excited but not quite as excited as this year. Its quite cute!!!! How is Gavin ????
Anyway, Chief is doing great. He has his fuzzy winter coat. I haventridden him for about a month though. Shame on me. Its been so cold and foggy here. And, yes, I should find some antlers for him. Ill have to look around. That would be cute!!!!!

Happy Holidays, KaylaX

#1053658 - 12/08/08 05:28 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Kawai, HI Offline

KaylaX, horses are still horses even the bomb proof ones. I have to remember that myself all the time. Even the quietest ones will spook with the right stimuli.

Lizstener, I missed your post earlier. Being from the midwest originally I do still miss the white Christmas. I love Hawaii and have grown use to Santa in an aloha shirt and Mrs. Claus in a muumuu. Still the snow falling softly outside the window on Christmas Eve is how I will always picture Christmas. Stay warm!

#1053659 - 12/09/08 02:09 AM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Polostrings and Kawai, HI, When I first saw the photo of your merry looking pooch, I couldn't resist putting together an alternative image of him/her that same evening, but I've been meaning to ask for your permissions before I can post it (?). You can also get a PM preview first if you'd like. \:\)

And Ah, the deep blue sea...where my heart also belongs. What lovely home you folks have. I particularly like the train set circling the tree. Now, it's my turn to be jealous. ;\)

Monster M&H, Absolutely postcard perfect! I have a friend who have four of them.

Serge88, I believe too!! Especially when I'm asking for new sheet music books. \:\)

RatMan, Ah-hah! Somebody is having too much fun with filters. Nice!

#1053660 - 12/09/08 12:58 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
polostrings Offline

Keynotes,

Post away! I would love to see the image you put together, no need for PM preview.

Thanks for the comments on the home, we love it too!!

#1053661 - 12/09/08 06:20 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
RatMan Offline

Since last September, some people have been unable to access my webserver. As a result, I'd put files on a different system. I believe that problem is now corrected. It was a file on my server that was incorrectly configured, so I take the responsibility and apologize to any who have been inconvenienced as a result.

As proof of the pudding, I'll try a photo that I shot the other day as a snow storm was coming though northern Utah and a flock of starlings had landed on a neighbors lawn. Just as I was making a shot to show a friend the amount of show we were getting (not much, although it appeared that we'd get more...which didn't happen) someone or something startled the starlings (which is the reason for the title I gave the photo: Startlings) and they took flight just as I pointed the camera in that direction. Here's the shot:

Let's hope this works, huh? Then maybe I can get on to other things.

#1053662 - 12/09/08 06:44 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
KaylaX Offline

Hey Ratman,

Thats a pretty cool shot. Thanxs for posting.

KaylaX

Wow!!!!!! I finally get to see your pics. So Cool!!

#1053663 - 12/09/08 07:26 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
RatMan Offline

Great, Kayla. Maybe now I can spend more time playing the organ and the bass.

I've been working on a very strange but interesting song (Jockey Full of Bourbon written by Tom Waits and performed by John Hammond) that could take up a lot of time. I thought I had a handle on it, but...well, let's just say that I'm still working on it. I can't find any sheet music for it...which is just as well, since my sight reading skills have improved slightly over this year, but that ain't sayin much...so anyway, I'm doing it by ear and I have the basis of the melody and part of the bass line. What I came up with for the bass isn't exactly the way Larry Taylor (my bass hero) plays it, but I like mine better. I must be getting egotistical in my old age. \:\)

Best regards,

#1053664 - 12/09/08 09:39 PM Re: OT: Holiday photos 2008
Kawai, HI Offline

Key Notes, I would love to see your creation. No need PM. Thank you for your kind comments about our home. The dog in the hat is Godzilla, he got his name by chasing the train at Christmas time when he was just a puppy. It was so funny it looked like a bad sci fi flick.

Ratman, awesome photo, nice timing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, Allard, andy0140, Abby Pianoman, ando, 35 invisible), 1266 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156328 Topics
2295939 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
08/01/14 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission