Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1053972 - 11/30/07 07:20 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
But she got over it eventually, right? ;\)

flickr

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1053973 - 12/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Oh ya...
Trying to hint every now and then that an acoustic will eventually come into the picture ...
Ouch....

Peter

#1053974 - 12/01/07 08:20 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
So many memories are tied to pianos, but this one I cherish more than others:
Ingrid Bjoner was going to sing in the Norwegian Seaman's church, and our mutual friend Eva Gustavson asked me to accompany her. I said "NO WAY AM I PLAYING FOR A WORLD RENOWNED DIVA!!!" But she conned me into it, and I perspired my way through the rehearsals. Good Lord, it was only "O Holy Night" and "Joy to the World", but I am not at all that good a pianist. At the finish, I turned to Ingrid Bjoner and said: Well, at least now I can add to my resume that I have played for Ingrid Bjoner!
She smiled back at me and said: And I can put on my resume that I have sung with YOU!
She was the most delightful lady, down to earth without any prima donna manners.
Later, we lunched at Eva's house where the dog in our absence had eaten a pound of Norwegian candy which Ingrid had brought as a little Christmas present. Eva was heartbroken, but Ingrid just laughed and pointed out that the dog needed a little Christmas cheer, too.

#1053975 - 12/01/07 11:56 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
When I was a teenager, I learned my first ragtime time piece (Maple Leaf Rag) and played it for our 80+-year-old piano tuner, Mr. Lurch, when he came that year to tune the piano. After I played it I looked at him, and he seemed to be tearing up. He said that his father, also a piano tuner, had always played that song, and it was his all-time favorite. \:\)

#1053976 - 12/02/07 12:06 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by ChatNoir:
So many memories are tied to pianos, but this one I cherish more than others:
Ingrid Bjoner was going to sing in the Norwegian Seaman's church, and our mutual friend Eva Gustavson asked me to accompany her. I said "NO WAY AM I PLAYING FOR A WORLD RENOWNED DIVA!!!" But she conned me into it, and I perspired my way through the rehearsals. Good Lord, it was only "O Holy Night" and "Joy to the World", but I am not at all that good a pianist. At the finish, I turned to Ingrid Bjoner and said: Well, at least now I can add to my resume that I have played for Ingrid Bjoner!
She smiled back at me and said: And I can put on my resume that I have sung with YOU!
She was the most delightful lady, down to earth without any prima donna manners.
Later, we lunched at Eva's house where the dog in our absence had eaten a pound of Norwegian candy which Ingrid had brought as a little Christmas present. Eva was heartbroken, but Ingrid just laughed and pointed out that the dog needed a little Christmas cheer, too. [/b]
Thank you for sharing this delightful memory.

flickr

#1053977 - 12/02/07 12:23 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
TLuvva Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia
Nobody listens like Mom.

I could probably think of some other moments that might seem greater than this, but it having happened somewhat recently, it's still fresh in my mind. And honestly, I can't think of a reason in the world why this wouldn't be tops.

I suppose we can all relate to playing piano in front of people who don't have much of an appreciation for piano or piano playing. I've seen it happen many times when someone is coaxed to play and the aforementioned listener takes it in and for a brief moment is mildly fascinated and at least a little impressed that someone can play, but it's just a very short time before a little conversation begins, distraction sets in, and the playing becomes background music.

Most folks don't recognize that humble little amateur pianists like ourselves are usually conquering anywhere from a small to a very large amount of fear to even sit down in front of anyone to play. Our minds go blank and we forget parts that we normally play without mistake. And they unknowingly are disrespectful by ignoring us while we feel like one of the Walendas tightroping it between the World Trade Centers on a windy day.

And then there's Mom.

Recently my whole family got together during the holidays and at a point during the evening gathered around the piano. My family is quite musical, almost all members play music and my dad and I even played professionally for years (though not piano). So my sister, who had achieved a quite respectable level of accomplishment through lessons as a child, got up and played the pieces she remembered from childhood. Then my 11-year old nephew who is just learning played a little, and my 83 year old father sat down and played the one song he knew (White Christmas). Finally I sat down (I've returned to playing and lessons of late) and played a couple of pieces I had just got down pretty well and I looked over and there was my 80 year old Mom - who doesn't play - with a lone tear streaming down her cheek, a crinkled up, holding back the tears kind of smile on her face.

Mom? You OK?

She announced that she was so proud that so many of her family could play piano that it made her cry with joy. She was so happy that she had introduced us to piano and had us take lessons as children and that music was such an important part of our family.

Now when she comes over to my house and listens to me play, she's the only one who never says a word, and listens to every note, pulling for me the whole way through, like only a mom can. And maybe she cries just a little too.

Needless to say, there's no one I'd rather play for than my mom.

#1053978 - 12/02/07 12:31 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
That's a beautiful story.

#1053979 - 12/03/07 08:42 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I think mine would have to be attending a Ludovico Einaudi concert in Edinburgh this year.

It was memorable for several reasons - he is one of my favourite composers, and I had been looking forward to the concert for a few months

Then, on the day of the concert, things started to go wrong. I was a few hundred miles away, spending the day with friends before heading towards Edinburgh for the concert.

Sure enough, there were traffic problems, and I spent the last 50 miles with my foot to the floor (tut, tut!). Then I had to navigate through the city as fast as possible. I convinced myself that it would all be in vain, that I wouldn't make it. But I did!

And the best part of the whole experience? Hearing a concert grand piano live for the first time \:\)

#1053980 - 12/03/07 10:30 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Stacey E Offline

Loc: Chicagoland Area
When I was young, we frequently went to a restaurant that had a two story room next to the bar area called "the carousel room". It had a grand piano and a gentleman who traveled from chicago to play on weekend evenings.

I would plop down next to him and request all sorts of songs which he was happy to play, and I always asked for my fav. - music box dancer. Sometimes, he would invite me to sit at the piano and play for him (if it wasn't too crowded). He once gave me a little pocket bible with an note of inspiration written to me on the inside cover (I still have it).

It had probably been 12 years since I had been been to the restaurant, when my husband and I were invited to a wedding reception there. Sure enough, he was still at that piano, in at least his late 80's. I walked into the room, he looked up, smiled, and began playing Music Box Dancer. Talk about teary, I couldn't believe that he had remembered me. He has since passed away, but I will always think about his kindness and be inspired by his words.

#1053981 - 12/04/07 04:58 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
apple cheek Offline

Loc: Seoul, South Korea
What a great topic.

My memorable moment would be, when I first visited musical library in my university. There is a small room only for listening to the music, and the first music I listened to was Rachmaninoff Piano concerto. I wasn't htere for an hour I guess..

#1053982 - 12/04/07 08:21 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Oh Stacey, what a wonderful story.

#1053983 - 12/04/07 10:59 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
KLD Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by rockpeter:
I would have to say it was when I bought my new digital yamaha clavinova home without my wife knowing. When she got home she just yelled and screamed for at least 2 hours.
Didn't feel like playing at that time.
:rolleyes:
Peter [/b]
Peter, what would have happened if it was a grand piano?

When my grand piano was delivered I just about cried. I was THRILLED, but the look on my husbands face was panic....how on earth was anything else going to fit in the room with this piano???? I asked him for DAYS if he thinks we made a mistake, which obviously would have been a pretty expensive one! And just how do you take a PIANO back? Now we just kid about adding on a piano room. I'll never forget, though, how sick I felt when we actually got it.

#1053984 - 12/05/07 02:40 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Back in the middle of the last century, when I was in grade school (I think it was about the 3 or 4th grade) I was in the school orchastra (at least that's what the called it- no I didn't play with any orchastra) I was asked to be the MC for a show of singing and musical performance during assembly.

My mother was a piano teacher and I had been playing for a few years. I was also asked to play a piece for the show. I can still remember getting up and sitting at the piano to play for an auditorium of about 200 kids. I guess in those days I had more guts than fear.

A more recent moment happened a few months ago. I was playing a piece from a fake book and started improvising. Where the inspiration came from I don't know, but what I do remember was that when I finished I couldn't believe it was me who was playing. Needless to say it was a moment of great satisfaction. I am attempting to repeat it each day I play, somedays with more success than others.

#1053985 - 12/06/07 09:45 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
 Quote:
Originally posted by TLuvva:

Needless to say, there's no one I'd rather play for than my mom. [/b]
Memorable piano experiences were flashing through my mind while reading each story. Then I found TLuvva's post. I wouldn't be here today on this piano forum if it wasn't for my Mom.

My Mom passed away four years ago on the 9th of December. It's still a difficult time.

I remember telling her about an online piano community I had found just a few weeks prior to her pancreatic cancer diagnosis. She didn't quite grasp the concept but she was always in favor of anything that promoted my enthusiasm of enjoying the piano.

She would become so humiliated with me when I would always shy away from playing the piano in front of other people. She would say, "do you realize how some people would envy how you play"!! She always made me appear better than I really wass.

I played quietly for her the last 8 weeks we were together. "Beautiful" she would somtimes comment when I would walk into her room after playing.

Yup, this time of the year is still difficult but lots of good memories and lots of good piano friends who have stepped in to take my Mom's place. :3hearts: I know she would be so very happy for me.

#1053986 - 12/07/07 04:40 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
these stories are wonderful and what pianoworld is all about i think.

i'm still a weeee beginner so nothing as fancy as any of these things has happened to me yet.

But, well, so far the best personal moment for me has been playing that first complete song (after starting lessons) for my son and asking him what he thought.

He said it was "pretty good!".

Well, I think I'm in this for the long haul now.

I look back and other great personal moments for ME were

- finding out you could hook a keyboard to your COMPUTER (I'm a computer programmer)

- finally taking lessons after having my gramma "tut tut" me for years and years about doing that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"How It's Made" and Cunningham Piano Co.
by Rich Galassini
09/30/14 09:43 AM
How many different actions do the Kawai digitals have?
by Giancarlo Robles
09/30/14 09:34 AM
Hearing the changes
by paul abrahams
09/30/14 09:07 AM
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (A Guy, accordeur, aesop, AaronH, 43 invisible), 1563 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157882 Topics
2318772 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission