Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (accordeur, Auver, 44 invisible), 1530 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1053942 - 11/28/07 10:50 PM Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Here's mine. I was sitting at a Victorian upright in my music teacher's parlor when I learned President Kennedy was dead.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1053943 - 11/28/07 11:14 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Oh, nothing historically special in my case. I think it was when I was about 5 years old, and my dad played Schubert's Imptomptu (899 #4). I can still almost see his fingers flying over keyboard... It's like I can see a photograph of his hands whenever I want.

#1053944 - 11/28/07 11:21 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

when my family went to a new church and during praise and worship my son said i play piano so they asked him to play, he tried to play a grown up version of jesus loves me with 4 note chords and he plugged through it slowly....very tearful moment...it was beautiful. then he gets off the stage and tells me mom there were 4 notes to a chord,but i dropped some notes. it was so cute and sweet, everyone cheered him on and sang slowly. very touching.

#1053945 - 11/28/07 11:23 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
For me it was when I was playing with a bunch of other musicians for a dance, after we had been playing at some Highland Games all afternoon. We were all really tired, and at about 11 at night we came to the last dance, which had a really hard set of tunes. So I decided I'd play the first tune and then drop out on the second tune and rest. And *everyone* else decided the same thing. The sudden absolute silence was startling. After a stunned moment, one of the dancers called out "I guess we should put another quarter in."

It was one of the better moments in my piano-playing life \:\)

Cathy

#1053946 - 11/29/07 12:59 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA

#1053947 - 11/29/07 01:31 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
RhondaLynne Offline

Loc: Chicago
I posted this back in June, but it still stands as a memorable moment:

"My friend, Bonnie (she plays violin) and I were playing together today, mostly pieces we've practiced before. She is learning some Suzuki pieces (along with some other non-Suzuki Bach and Vivaldi) and there is one whose piano reduction is almost impossible, and my piano teacher warned me about it so Bonnie and I usually don't play that one. Anyway, she was just about to pack up her violin and we decided on the spur of the moment to play the impossible Suzuki, just for kicks.

And we did. I "plowed" through it, but didn't miss a beat, I missed most of the notes, and she kept going and I kept going and we played through to the end at a pretty good tempo, we stayed together all through it and she said she hardly noticed the notes I had left out because apparently I left the good ones in. Afterwards, we looked at each other, hers was a look of amazement and mine must have been equally amazed, because we both just did it, without those pesky expectations we put on ourselves, and both of us were so exhilirated and shocked that we both had tears in our eyes.

I've can't remember ever just letting myself go like that, and I think we just had no fear. I've don't think I've ever felt that way before, not with piano. And now I know it's possible and I'm going to hold on to that. I also feel strangely closer to Bonnie now, as though I've revealed something of myself that is intimate, that no one else knows about me." (edited somewhat from original for length)

#1053948 - 11/29/07 04:18 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Ragnhild Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have a few that I will not tell you about...... :p

Then I have one that I'd like to share:
About two and a half year ago our church got a new triptyche, and for the inaugurate we had a concert.
The choir I'm a part of sang three parts from a mass, and then the artist who had made the triptyche had invited some friends to play, among them our great pianist. He ended the concert with Janacek, Mendelsohn, Chopin and Liszt and I'm quite sure it will be the only time in my life that I sing in concert with Leif Ove Andsnes ;\)

But then I have a question, Mike A
 Quote:
Music exists for one purpose, and one purpose only -- the wooing of women.[/b]
What are the poor pianist going to do with all these female fans, he can't marry them all....

Ragnhild

#1053949 - 11/29/07 07:36 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
 Quote:
Originally posted by jotur:
The sudden absolute silence was startling. After a stunned moment, one of the dancers called out "I guess we should put another quarter in."

It was one of the better moments in my piano-playing life \:\)

Cathy [/b]
LOL, too funny!! \:D

I think I am still waiting for my memorable moment!

#1053950 - 11/29/07 07:53 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
I was on a business trip in Dallas/Ft.Worth and we went into the hotel bar after the day's meetings.

Some "no-name" guy was playing soft piano in the background and was being totally ignored by everyone in the bar including me.

I happened to glance at him, and for some reason, he looked lonely/depressed, but kept plugging away, filling the place with nice music.

I started listening. He was very good, very suttle, everything he played was kinda drifting, and then he played a Bach piece I know from guitar.

I went over and introduced myself, told him I played that "song" on guitar but could not remember the name (Prelude 1 BVW 846). We visited for a few minutes (his no-name was Dave), and I watched him and thought, I could do that. Dave said he was in his 10th year playing, but anyone who wants can learn.

I came home, got my old keyboard out, named it Dave, and started learning. Still going, but Dave has been relagated to the closet.

#1053951 - 11/29/07 07:58 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnhild:
What are the poor pianist going to do with all these female fans, he can't marry them all....

Ragnhild [/QB]
Ummm, sometimes Marrying them is not the goal, or so I've heard. No personal experience, though. Could be wrong.

#1053952 - 11/29/07 09:32 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Great stories!

My most memorable piano moment would have to be the time I spied the grand at the Charlotte airport where we were facing a 3-hour flight delay. It was missing one of the treble strings, but I sat down and played for over an hour as literally hundreds of people walked by.

#1053953 - 11/29/07 09:45 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
The good:

Watching my son win his first concerto competition, and watching him play with the orchestra.

The bad:

Let's skip this and go directly to ...

The ugly:

Feeling humiliated at a master class led by the Israeli pianist David Bar-Ilan in Miami.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1053954 - 11/29/07 09:49 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Donna R. Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think mine would have to be the one I posted about recently, when we went to a pre-concert talk and Max Levinson, who was playing the Ravel concerto for the left-hand, came out and sat down at an upright piano they had up front and played one of my favorite Schubert Impromptus, the A-flat major from Op. 90. It was gorgeous. And after he'd gone I went to have a look at the fabulous upright he'd just played, wondering whether it was something I might be able to aspire to one day, and it turned out to be a beaten up old Sohmer console that probably wasn't as good as my Kemble (though I'm sure it had been well prepped). It was both humbling and enlightening.

#1053955 - 11/29/07 10:36 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Johan B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
After a gap of 17 years nearly not playing any music I started playing again in november 2006. I heard at internet the 'Eintritt' of Schumanns Waldszenen as a demo of a digital Yamaha. I purchased a digital Yammy and after some excercising I played the 'Eintritt', got tears in my eyes and realized that I had discovered again music as a way of living . After that I played my other favorite, Prealudium in C from the Wohltemperiertes Klavier of J.S.Bach..............

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#1053956 - 11/29/07 11:45 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA

#1053957 - 11/29/07 12:18 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
zacster Offline

Loc: NYC
There are two things that stick out.

First was watching my 10 year old twins play at their recital last June, and the music teacher from their elementary school sat behind us. He is NOT their piano teacher, and in fact he didn't even know they played. His son uses the same teacher. First daughter played and he was amazed and complimented us. Then the second twin plays and his jaw just dropped. She does the Dan Coates arrangement of 'Over the Rainbow' and just silences the crowd. Then they get up together and ham it up while doing their duets.

The second most memorable moment was writing the check for the piano I bought for them 2 weeks ago. OUCH. But it is beautiful in our house.

#1053958 - 11/29/07 01:14 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
A couple of years ago, I took some lessons at a very busy local music school that taught everything from electric guitar to band instruments (sitting in the waiting room for any length of time would be enough to make even a deaf person insane and that was with the practice rooms being ALMOST sound proof). At one particular lesson, my teacher decided to step out for a cigarette while I warmed up. This was during the few minutes during the exchange of student who had just had lessons and the next batch going in for lessons so the building was pretty quiet.

I had learned the chord progression to Canon in D the previous week and so I decided to improvise using it. I played several iterations with as may patterns and voicings as I could think of (a great progression to improvise on BTW). After several minutes without him returning I stopped to see where he was, only to discover that he had accidentally left the practice room door ajar. He was standing in the doorway with pretty much all of the teachers, students and waiting parents in the hallway behind him. A second later, everyone started to clap; praiseing my playing and my teacher's obvious skill as an instructor. I'm not sure who was more proud at that moment, but I can tell you I thought my heart was going to explode!!! Needless to say, the lesson was a write-off since I was so flushed, but at that moment, I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

Best lesson I ever had!!!

Rodney

#1053959 - 11/29/07 01:24 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
MissT Offline

Loc: Quebec, Quebec
When I was in high school, I went for a few years at a catholic private school where I was on a pension. There where a few rooms with old beaten uprights that we could borrow on reservation, but they didn't felt right and we had to reserve in advance, an annoying thing when you have an urge to compose something. But another part of the building was for retired priest, they had an immense chapel in which there was a very nice grand.

So regularly, when nobody was watching, I was broking in the chapel to play on the grand (sometimes using secret passageway). Once, after a few minutes playing, I noticed a priest praying at the back of the room. So just for him, I played Shubert’s Ave Maria, and I kept on playing other religious songs, the acoustic of the room made the music incredible. I never saw his face as he was sitting too far, but I always hoped I made this lonely man happy.
Grotrian-Steinweg 160 #98923

#1053960 - 11/29/07 01:28 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
David Sprunger Offline

Loc: Oregon, USA
Most memorable? I'd like to take this opportunity to drop a bomb on my brother for my most memorable piano moment:

I was about eight years old, in with my dad being a pastor, I knew I would someday play in church. We lived in a high mountain town which would get unreasonable amounts of snow in the winter. One Sunday it happened - none of the other piano players showed up. My dad gave me the opportunity to play through the first hymn. I butchered it, but at least I got the very last chord right.

My sweet brother Paul was kind enough to call out from the congregation "at least he got the last chord right".

Back at you Paul! \:\)
David Sprunger - Learn to play piano by ear using the revolutionary technique of "Rhythmic Patterns". Piano Lessons Homepage here - includes library of piano lessons for beginners through advanced piano and keyboard players.

#1053961 - 11/29/07 01:32 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Most memorable for me would be performing a piano concerto I wrote with my high school orchestra for our senior concert. Looking back on it, there's lots of things I'd like to re-work in the piece, but if I do say so myself, it was a pretty decent work for a high-schooler. And the experience of actually getting to perform it with an orchestra in front of an audience... I'll never forget it.

#1053962 - 11/29/07 01:51 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by David Sprunger:
Most memorable? I'd like to take this opportunity to drop a bomb on my brother for my most memorable piano moment:

I was about eight years old, in with my dad being a pastor, I knew I would someday play in church. We lived in a high mountain town which would get unreasonable amounts of snow in the winter. One Sunday it happened - none of the other piano players showed up. My dad gave me the opportunity to play through the first hymn. I butchered it, but at least I got the very last chord right.

My sweet brother Paul was kind enough to call out from the congregation "at least he got the last chord right".

Back at you Paul! \:\) [/b]
Along the same vein:

When I was 15, I accompanied my piano teacher as she sang O Holy Night one Christmas Eve. Was nervous and played sloppily. One of my dad's friends came up to me afterwards and said, "Hey fumblefingers."

fumblefingers was taken when I signed up for PianoWorld.

#1053963 - 11/29/07 05:08 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
What a great thread!

I hope to have a few more but currently I think my most favourite was after my first recital at a piano camp when I finished without major flubs and went back to my seat with applause and fellow students complimenting me.

I've had moments at lessons when my teacher went "wow" you've really worked on that piece/section. They are very special as well because he isn't one to shower me with praise so I know it's well deserved.

#1053964 - 11/29/07 06:00 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I’ve had several memorable moments…mostly those when, after struggling through weeks and months of practice, there comes that day when I can play a composition... perfectly!

But this one falls into the category of “Can you top this?”

Last April, I was invited to the Polish Embassy in Washington D.C. to attend a performance of M. Chopin starring Hershey Felder. I was sitting in the very first row, right in front of a huge grand that sounded unbelievable. (Of course, Hershey had a lot to do with this.) Later, I found out that the piano once belonged to Paderewski. Then, at the urging of a friend, I hopped on the stage and actually played the first five measures of Chopin’s a minor waltz on PADEREWSKI’S piano!!

The second super moment has to be attending the performance of "M. Chopin." When Mr. Felder, as Chopin, walked on stage in the attire of the day, I got the chills. For the next 60 minutes, Chopin was alive, talking and playing his music for us. It was magical!!

Kathleen

#1053965 - 11/29/07 06:06 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
4000 Post Club Member

double post

#1053966 - 11/29/07 07:38 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
One of the most memorable "piano" moments I recall was during a question and answer session after a jazz concert at the college I attended. Dick Hyman was the piano player. My smart a** trumpet instructor asked Dick, "Don't you think the piano is too loud?" I love Hyman's reply:

"That depends on whether you're a piano player," he said with a smile.

flickr

#1053967 - 11/29/07 07:43 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I just reminded myself of another memorable moment, though not piano related. When I was in high school about 1977 or 1978, Dizzy Gillespie was in town for a concert at another high school auditorium. There were considerable "technical difficulties" during the evening concerning microphones that quit working. After changing mics several times, Dizzy walked out into the audience carrying the most recent non-working microphone. He handed it to an audience member and said, "Here ya go. Have a microphone." That comment brought the house down.

flickr

#1053968 - 11/29/07 08:04 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
I inherited my grandmother's baby grand piano when she died. When it arrived at my house many months later - it still smelled strongly of my grandmothers house (violets) and invoked all sorts of memories that were otherwise lost...

She was the originator of wonderful phrases such as: (when hearing the 'winterwind') "nobody could play that, it must be a recording" and (upon welcoming you to her house) "take a seat and walk about"...

\:\)

#1053969 - 11/30/07 07:59 AM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Wow what a lot of nice stories.

I almost fell out laughing at Cathy's story. I'm still laughing.

I don't have any true memorable ones yet but I do have 2 that I think about often.

The first time I played in front of anybody besides my teacher was when I went on vacation to PR and my friends who I was staying with had a keyboard.

I was practicing my Malguena, watered down version of course and my friends were humming and singing to it. That's the first time I felt a lot of my inhibition go away.

The second one was with my current piano teacher. We have so much fun, so much in fact that her husband comes out every now and then and says "You guys are just having too much fun, all I hear is the giggling"

Anyway I was playing for my piano teacher and I hit a wrong chord somewhere and being the brilliant teacher that she is, noticed it right away and said "What happened to that chord?"

I said "I don't know Miss Lydia, I think because you have a grand piano, it has more keys than mine".

We laughed hysterically and she still brings it up everytime I hit a wrong chord or note which is often. \:D

#1053970 - 11/30/07 03:48 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
4000 Post Club Member

Oh my gosh...how could I forget this one!

I was actually on the same stage with Artur Rubinstein!!

The concert was all sold out, so they put folding chairs on the stage. My chair was right in the front (funny how I always manage to get those front row seats), and I was sitting about 10 feet away from him. I was so excited I don't even remember what he played. Chopin, of course...and some other pieces, but my head was in the clouds.

Kathleen

#1053971 - 11/30/07 06:33 PM Re: Most Memorable Personal Moment Involving a Piano
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
I would have to say it was when I bought my new digital yamaha clavinova home without my wife knowing. When she got home she just yelled and screamed for at least 2 hours.
Didn't feel like playing at that time.
:rolleyes:
Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Way to Clean Keys on an Acoustic?
by newbert
11/24/14 07:51 PM
Interesting Thesis comparing popular methods
by kcoul058
11/24/14 07:30 PM
As a teacher would this irritate you?
by pianosNpreschooler
11/24/14 07:13 PM
What do you play for?
by findingnemo2010
11/24/14 07:07 PM
Nonflammable action lubricant
by showard
11/24/14 06:05 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159326 Topics
2340411 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission