Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (barbaram, Artur Gajewski, aimar, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1245 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1054111 - 11/12/07 06:46 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
vivo Offline

Loc: miami
Hello I hope you don't mind me coming into this thread. I am kinda new here. I play mostly classical and some of whatever I am in the mood for which could be just about any kind of music, except for rap of course! I've been taking lessons off and on for 6 years. I stopped 10 years in between due to living in an apartment when I wasn't allowed to have a piano. I would really like to play his music one day. I love the Consolation in D flat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fas_xU_Lw

I also love Liebestraume. I hope one day to play it. All I have ever played of Liszt was a simplied version of the Liebestraume 2 years ago. It was still so beautiful, just 3 pages, but I would like to play the original arrangment of it one day. I don't think I am ready for it yet, I think I need another year of lessons. Do you guys have a favorite utube version of this song?

Would somebody please tell me how to use the spell check?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1054112 - 11/12/07 11:05 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Vivo,

Welcome to the forum and particularly to this thread. I'm sure you will enjoy the posts by many in this thread who know and share much about Franz Liszt.

The link you provide to YouTube and that performance of Consolation No. 3 is my favorite performance of this Consolation I have found. I entered my performance of this piece in the ABF online Recital #5 back in February of this year.

Below is a link to a YouTube performance of Liszt's Libestraume #2 (titled Notturno #2). It's the best I could find on YouTube. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUV1UZUhKA

I have the Google Search bar that takes only one line at the top of my screen and has a spellchecker in the Toolbar of that line. I click the checker and it highlights the entire text field in light blue with misspelled words in bright red. Place the cursor over the misspelled word and the correctly spelled word pops up. Click on the latter and it changes the bad red word to good green. After completing the check, right click anywhere in the blue field and a pop up lets you stop all checking. It's an easy to use checker, but you have to decide if you want the Google Search bar or not. I don't know how the forum's spellchecker works. I've not been successful using it.

Enjoy the AB Forums and best of luck with your playing. You'll find these forums to be the most friendly and helpful on the Web, imo.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054113 - 11/12/07 11:24 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

gabytu,

I meant no slight of your post about Liszt's rhapsody, I always scroll to the last message when entering a thread and I didn't see yours until I had completed my response to Vivo.

Along with you, I find Lang Lang painful to watch. I haven't listened to the rhapsody, but I did close my eyes while listening to his play of the Liebestraume #3 and must admit I was impressed. If you read my post about the CDs I've purchased of Cziffra playing Liszt, I haven't heard all of his Liszt rhapsodies, but I listened to the first CD of the "les introuvables de Cziffra" and he raises the hair on my arms with his magnificent combination of powerful technique mixed with sensitive dynamics.

Welcome aboard \:\)

Lisztener

#1054114 - 11/13/07 12:45 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
Lisztener et al. Yes, Lang Lang does play beautifully. However, one does need to close one's eyes to all the hyper-activity.

While at the music store the other day I came across a Kalmus edition of Liszt's "Soirees de Vienne," which I purchased. I read through some of the the less difficult ones, and they are absolutely gorgeous. They are based on the waltzes of Schubert.

For some strange reason, they are rarely (to my knowlege) ever played. At least this is the first I have heard of them. # VI Erste Ausgabe is beautiful, and I would love to learn to play it, though the last section does look quite technically difficult for me, but I will take it all a measure at a time, and hopefully learn it.

First thing tomorrow I am headed off to get a CD of Soirees de Vienne, and will also check out CZiffra playing Liszt.

With regard to Soirees, Does Anyone have any suggestions as to which pianists I should be looking for who play this? Gaby Tu

#1054115 - 11/13/07 09:50 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
vivo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Greg,

Look what I found on YouTube, speaking of Kissin's La Campanella.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY

Naturally, the production qualities are inferior to watching the performance on DVD, but it is still magnificent.

Lisztener [/b]
What a magnificent performance! Funny thing is, I heard the song a few years ago and liked it but I never knew it was by Liszt. Wow , what a masterpiece!

Now I have 1 added one more song to the list that I love by Liszt other than Leibestraume and the Consolation in D flat. From what I've read Liszt had quite a charming personality compared to some of the other more well known composers, he was probably actually more fun to be around with. ;\)

Add me to the list of someone who does not care for Lang Lang. His style doesnt appeal to me. His style of performance interfers with the beauty of the music.

#1054116 - 11/13/07 10:19 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
HerrLiszt Offline

Loc: Maryland
Cziffra and Kissin's Liszt are quite riveting. I have all of Cziffra Liszt recordings (that I know of) and some of Kissins. I have since purchased the Hung Rhaps and Trans Etudes by Bolet and Arrau and have not been dissapointed. Their playing adds (in my opinion) an elegance missing by the other techno-wizards. Be sure not to miss the Concert Etudes as well!

HerrLiszt

#1054117 - 11/13/07 10:42 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Once again, I have to say that the best rendition of TEs BY FAR (IMHO, of course) is that by Ovchinnikov. In the "Blizzard" it sounds almost as if two pianists play it, one the melody, the other accompaniment. It is quite something. Here is the link to the CD (not the same one I have, but I think it is actually a remix of the same recording),there are fragments you can "liszten" to:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1230139&style=classical&cart=629588183

#1054118 - 11/14/07 09:49 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
vivo Offline

This is my favorite Liebestaume recording , it is done by Rubenstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXPcv9MS7s

I can only dream of playing it one day, although I have played a much simplified version of this song.

#1054119 - 11/20/07 02:38 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
From cherub_rocker1979 in the Pianist Corner forum:

A new Liszt site
http://sausagelynx.com/Franz%20Liszt%20Links.htm

#1054120 - 02/09/08 01:00 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
It's been a while since this thread has seen any action so I thought I'd revive it with a brief review of Alan Walker's 3 volume biography.

I'd previously read Derek Watson's biography of Liszt and recommend it for a first book on Liszt. It's well researched and written and includes not only biographical information but also a discussion of Liszt's music.

Walker's opus is that and more so. To say that it's well researched would be an incredible understatement, painstakingly researched would be more accurate. Walker and his assistants have scoured the tens of thousands of archived letters, concert programs, newspaper accounts contained in many public and private libraries around the world.

From an editorial point of view, the books are well written and easy to read. The only quibble I would make is that Walker makes extensive use of footnotes which sometime span multiple pages. If you ignore them you miss some of the background for what's being discussed in the main text. If you read them you have to regain the train of thought in the main thread when you resume. Frankly, I'm not sure how else he could have handled it but nevertheless it does interrupt the flow somewhat.

Also, at times Walker comes across as a bit of an apologist for Liszt but I think this is by design. One of the things that was true of Liszt is that he was so popular and well known in his lifetime that he was written about very extensively and some of it was even true. Walker spends an enormous amount of time correcting the record and disabusing long held "facts" as the hearsay that they were. Liszt was frequently the victim of "if so many people are saying it, it must be true" kind of "biographers" or those that were out to either smear or sensationalize. To me, this was part of the value of reading the books.

I also felt he went into too much depth on the Wagner/Cosima/Bulow menage a trois (more than 3 chapters devoted to it). Although they were important people in his life the level of detail about the affair and its breakup didn't really contribute to the knowledge of Liszt.

What an amazing man! Although he probably would have been the first to admit he'd not lead a perfect life, he had a number of qualities aside from his obvious musical gifts that were commendable. His steadfast devotion to art caused him to promote the work of others even if they were enemies on a personal level (the Schumann's leap to mind). He also discouraged his students and admirers from performing his compositions because there was so much animosity toward him as a composer that he felt it might potentially damage their careers. His generosity is well known, he never charged for a lesson and gave numerous benefit concerts that generated huge sums of money for various charitable causes. He worked tirelessly to promote artists and composers careers and was instrumental in the success of many.

A very brief summary of a lengthy collection but if you're interested in Liszt these are highly recommended.

#1054121 - 02/10/08 09:27 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Greg,

I'm going to start with Derek Watson's biography as you recommend. If I can remain awake while reading it (I fall asleep reading anything over 3-4 pages, it seems), I'll go on to Walker's work.

Your review leaves me yearning to learn more about the greatest pianist of his age.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the bios and for resurrecting this wonderful thread.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054122 - 02/10/08 09:40 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i really didn't follow this thread, but just want to say that i'm learning his consolation 3 right now, a great piece!

#1054123 - 02/10/08 09:54 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

signa,

It sure is good to see you here. \:\)

It's even better to know that you are learning one of the most beautifully melodious works of any Liszt ever wrote. I'm sure you must love its beauty, as well.

Enjoy your Consolation.

Lisztener

#1054124 - 02/10/08 10:14 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Just want to add my enthusiastic endorsement of Walker's amazing 3 volume Liszt biography. It is fascinating reading and meticulously researched, and does a great service by debunking so many unfounded myths and rumors about Liszt. It is must reading for anyone seriously interested in Liszt the man and the musician. Personally, I found the chapters on the Cosima/von Bulow/Wagner triangle and Liszt's attempts to maintain his relationship with all three of them in some form or other really interesting. He took Cosima and Hans on a trip to get her away from Wagner and try to help them patch up the marriage (turns out she was already pregnant by Wagner). What a delightful time they must have all had! the mind reels....

As with the best of biography, it's better than any fiction.

Sophia

#1054125 - 02/10/08 10:37 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sophia,

I must congratulate you for your willingness to step forward and defend Liszt against rumors that will not die.

I believe you share my love for Consolation 3.

Warm regards,

Lisztener

#1054126 - 02/11/08 12:01 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Hey Greg,

I'm going to start with Derek Watson's biography as you recommend. If I can remain awake while reading it (I fall asleep reading anything over 3-4 pages, it seems), I'll go on to Walker's work.
[/b]
You'll enjoy Watson's book. I was re-reading a section of Walker's this evening. There are many anecdotes about Liszt's sight reading skills. Here's one of them that I enjoyed. Liszt was being visited by Edvard Grieg who brought his newly composed Sonata for Violin and Piano. Liszt asked him to play it and Grieg played the first movement. Liszt then sat at the piano with the score, here's Grieg's account:

"Now you must bear in mind, in the first place, that he had never seen nor heard the sonata, and in the second place that it was a sonata with a violin part, now above, now below, independent of the piano part. And what does Liszt do? He plays the whole thing, root and branch, violin and piano, nay, more, for he played fuller, more broadly. The violin got its due right in the middle of the piano part. He was literally over the whole piano at once, without missing a note, and how he did play! With grandeur, beauty, genius, unique comprehension. I think I laughed - laughed like an idiot."

Pretty amazing stuff.

#1054127 - 02/11/08 10:21 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Lisztener,

Ah, indeed I do love the Consolation #3 and hope eventually to play this lovely piece well. There are so many gorgeous Liszt compositions--- I've been listzening to Pensees des Morts recently. So incredibly heart breaking.

Greg, that anecdote by Grieg is great, isn't it? and the thing about it is-- it's believable because it's directly from the composer, himself a genius musician. There was no chance Liszt could have seen that music previously. Grieg's reaction (" I laughed- laughed like an idiot") sounds so convincing because it's probably the only possible response in the face of something seemingly impossible happening before your eyes...

Sophia

#1054128 - 02/11/08 10:35 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

I agree that anecdote with Grieg was especially convincing because he knew Liszt hadn't seen the piece before and he knew how it should sound.

There was another incident in the Vol. 3 that was equally impressive. Liszt was at a dinner party and just before walking into dinner noticed the score (I don't recall by who) of a newly composed piece sitting on the piano. He looked at it for a few minutes and made a comment (c'est bon, I think) and went into dinner. After dinner he came out and played the piece from memory. To me, that is simply incredible not only to have that sort of sight reading facility but to also have the ability to recall a piece perfectly that you'd only spent a few minutes with.

If I recall correctly, Liszt also played Grieg's piano concerto at sight while Grieg looked on.

#1054129 - 02/11/08 10:52 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi guys,

Just checking in to say that in this month's Pianist magazine, there is a Liszt piece called 'Autumn' which
a) sounds beautiful, and
b) doesn't look too difficult to play (compared to his other stuff)

Could be a good introduction for ABF'ers looking to play Liszt!

#1054130 - 02/11/08 10:57 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Hi guys,

Just checking in to say that in this month's Pianist magazine, there is a Liszt piece called 'Autumn' which
a) sounds beautiful, and

Could be a good introduction for ABF'ers looking to play Liszt! [/b]
Euan,

Which issue of Pianist is that? My most recent issue is No. 39. Is there a newer issue on it's way?

#1054131 - 02/11/08 11:08 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
It's in 40 but Euan has his seasons a bit wonky; probably the after effects of the weekend... Hey Euan we had haggis and tatties at half time... It was yummy until somebody told me what it was...

\:\)

Springtime - transcription of a polish song.

#1054132 - 02/11/08 11:08 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi Greg,

Yes - it's issue 40 (Olga Kern on cover). I guess we get a head-start with the release over here!

Oops - wrong season indeed!

THe key to haggis is purely not thinking about what you are eating, but just enjoying it!

#1054133 - 02/11/08 10:22 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I just came across this piece while searching for videos of Ravel's Jeux D'eau.

Les Jeux d'Eau à la Villa d'Este - Liszt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P834X6jjqps

Anyone who has a misconception about Liszt being all about shameless virtuosity and nothing else should hear this composition. It is beautiful. Listen at 2:50. If that doesn't touch your soul, you are not human (end cheesiness).

I also find it remarkable how this piece so obviously foreshadows some of the works of Debussy and Ravel, yet I have not seen Liszt get much credit for that sort of thing.....

#1054134 - 02/11/08 10:52 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:

I also find it remarkable how this piece so obviously foreshadows some of the works of Debussy and Ravel, yet I have not seen Liszt get much credit for that sort of thing..... [/b]
You're right that he doesn't get credit for it. In his analysis of Liszt's compositions which are scattered throughout the three volumes, Walker points out a number of works by Liszt that point the way to Debussy, Ravel and even Schoenburg. That's part of the reason his compositions were so reviled in his lifetime, his was the "new music" that traditionalists such as Brahms and the Schumann's detested.

Walker devotes a number of chapters to the war between the "old" and "new" music styles of which Brahms and Liszt, respectively, were the chief protagonists of their day.

Thanks for the link, beautiful music indeed. The Villa d'Este on the outskirts of Rome was where Liszt lived for a number of years and it was a place that he loved. It's famous for its fountains which were restored in Liszt's day and it's no wonder it inspired him to write such a beautiful piece. You can hear the fountains shimmering in his composition.

#1054135 - 02/11/08 11:12 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Here is a link to the Villa d\'Este web site. Beautiful place.

#1054136 - 02/12/08 03:09 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I remember reading a book on Debussy which stated that Debussy creatively used right hand arpeggios over a slower melody in the left hand to indicate sparkling water. I remember thinking, "He's wrong, Ravel did this before him in "Jeux D'eau". Sadly, I was also wrong, because Liszt did it before both of them! I have to admit I was never the greatest fan of Liszt, but I now have a newfound interest in his music, after hearing this piece.

#1054137 - 02/12/08 03:43 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

An even earlier work of Liszt' "Au bord d'une source" creates an impressionistic portrait of sparkling water as well and foreshadows Debussy and Ravel. He really does not get sufficient credit for his influence on them or on Wagner (who got many of his more advanced harmonic ideas from Liszt).

Sophia

#1054138 - 02/26/08 01:49 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Hi guys,

a) sounds beautiful, and

Could be a good introduction for ABF'ers looking to play Liszt! [/b]
My issue just came a couple of days ago It sure takes a while to make it over here to the colonies.

At any rate, Autumn is a pretty little piece. The pianist on the CD (unidentified) must really enjoy it because she sings along through the whole thing \:D

#1054139 - 02/26/08 02:07 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Hi guys and gals .. may I join some of the action on the Liszt thread?! \:\)

#1054140 - 02/26/08 02:09 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hey, Bassio! Good to see you back here! Are you working on any Liszt pieces?

Sophia

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159390 Topics
2341370 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission