Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1054171 - 05/22/08 02:12 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
My friend Lisztener,

I know you're going to enjoy the Walker Liszt biographies. As Sophia said, he does an amazing job of being factual without being boring. Part of the credit surely must go to the nature of the material. Liszt led such an interesting life that it almost reads like a novel.

There are three aspects of his life that almost strain credibility. He maintained an extremely heavy correspondence throughout his life which is the source of much information in the biography (both the letters he authored and those written to him) and[/b] the amount of traveling he did under the conditions of the day - Walker goes through the itinerary of his tours fairly exhaustively and it is simply staggering in terms of both the number of performances and the distances traveled on the roads and rails of the 19th century - and[/b] his vast output and range as a composer.

It's hard to imagine three people accomplishing so much, let alone one.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1054172 - 05/22/08 03:58 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales
If you can get it, this...

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Liszt-Himself-His-Contemporaries/dp/0198161506

...is a wonderful book; I had one, but it slipped through my fingers - a neccessity at the time...

Review...

http://www.jstor.org/pss/941635

#1054173 - 05/22/08 08:30 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

LaValse,

Portrait of Liszt, by Himself and His Contemporaries[/b] by Adrian Williams

I read the other link in your post containing the review. This appears to be a quite extensive work, but since I have a full plate with current orders pending delivery, I just want to send my gratitude your way for the suggested read. Also, I can't find anyone who has this title in stock.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation. Perhaps someone will post a link to a seller with this tome in stock. Sorry to hear you no longer possess it.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054174 - 05/23/08 03:49 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Lisztener,

I've been looking for a copy for years. if anybody finds some, please post here...! I have constant pre-orders on Amazon for it - one did come up about a year ago, but they wanted (really) silly money for it. Even bookfinder.com comes up blank...

nb: cheapest i've ever found is $100 but it was as tatty as heck and I passed - perhaps should not of. typical price is $300-$500 so if you see one < $100, buy it quick - and sell it on amazon if you don't want it...!

#1054175 - 05/23/08 10:16 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

To all Liszt devotees,

In a previous post to Sophia and Greg, I mentioned that they are the Liszt experts, IMO.
Given my admitted impulsiveness, I chose them because they are and have been quite generous in disseminating valuable information about Liszt since the inception of this thread, and they are both forum friends to me.

I wish it known to all Liszt devotees making up this wonderfully informative thread that in no way do I diminish your valuable contributions that combine to make the thread a favored depository for valuable content leading to a deep and accurate understanding of Franz Liszt.
If my praise of Sophia and Greg has caused the least bit of offense to anyone posting here, please accept my humble apology.

I just began reading the first volume of the Walker set, when the thought struck me that I should make amends to those unmentioned in my previous post. Perhaps I'm placing too much emphasis on others even caring about my nagging concerns, but I wish to take no chance that anyone feels slighted because of my previous post.

On a more pleasant note, I'm pleased to announce that because of being a "prime" member at Amazon.com, all the biographies I ordered have been delivered. The Alan Walker three-volume set that I didn't order until 1:30 AM Thursday, May 22, was delivered early this afternoon, Friday, May 23, rather than the Amazon scheduled May 27 delivery date. This is excellent service from Amazon.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

#1054176 - 05/24/08 01:12 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Much to my disbelief, I discovered that I have volume 1 of the Walker biography. I ordered it last year from Amazon, put it on the book shelf and then completely forgot about it. Old age certainly takes its toll on memory.

No, I don't believe there is any decisive biography of Chopin although many have written about him. I find them all lacking in one way or another. Walker did put together a very nice compliation about Chopin, as seen by musicolgists. Each chapter is written by an "expert" in some field.

I still think Chopin letters and the book: "Chopin: Pianist and Teacher...as seen by his pupils," are the best to date.

His book of letters (while not totally complete) does more to give us a real sense of who he was, than any biographer could possibly do.

And the other book contains primary sources of information about him in almost every aspect.

Kathleen

#1054177 - 05/25/08 09:01 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
4000 Post Club Member

What has happened to YD? He started this thread. We would love to hear from him, especially now that it is taking off.

Kathleen

#1054178 - 05/25/08 08:22 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi all,

I have been working all day trying to figure a way to make a slide show video to post to YouTube. I'm delighted to say that my efforts payed off and here is a link to my performance of List's Consolation No. 3 as background piano to some recent photos taken in Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEEKmt_u9zI

I'm really excited to now know how to make and upload a video to YouTube.

Of the few pieces I have recorded, this is probably my favorite...even with the mistakes. I'm proud that it is a Liszt piece I uploaded.

I hope you enjoy watching and listening.

Best regards,

Lisztener

#1054179 - 05/25/08 09:34 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Barbara G Offline

Loc: N. Texas
To the question: Do you know of a biographer of similar caliber for Chopin?

I recently finished listening, a couple of times, to the Chopin CD bio by Jeremy Siepmann. In his book which comes with the CD set he gives reviews of the biographies of Chopin. From his writing I suggest the Jeremy Siepman book "Chopin: The Reluctant Romantic". I just finished a similiar book by Siepman on Beethoven. The second bio recommended is by Jim Samson "Chopin" in the long-running Master Musicians series by Oxford Press. This is a book for well educated musicians because of the enormous scholarship and musicial analysis. The third book is by Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger: "Chopin: Pianist and Teacher - as seen by his pupils" Cambridge Univ Press 1986

#1054180 - 05/26/08 07:37 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

re: Portrait of Liszt: By Himself and His Contemporaries.

If anybody is interested - two are showing as available via bookfinder.com. I've bought the UK one - the remaining one is in Aus - US$200. On Abe...

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1039224941

#1054181 - 05/26/08 12:19 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Listzener,
Lovely job on the Consolation! your playing is very soulful and beautiful.
You are very generous with your praise-- I don't consider myself any kind of expert, just someone who loves learning about my favorite composers (and Liszt is certainly among them). I learn so much from you and everyone on this forum .

Best wishes,

Sophia

#1054182 - 05/26/08 01:11 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sophia,

Thank you kindly for your comments on my slide show and play. Because of my high esteem for you based upon your general intellect, your specific knowledge of Liszt with your courage to defend his honor as well as recognize his shortcomings, and your kind nature, your praise is particularly welcome to me.

I notice that you do not accept PMs. Do you ever send them with a way for the recipient to respond to you? I have a request of you concerning Liszt that I feel is too sensitive, from a strictly musical perspective, to ask here in the forum. If you never cross the line that you have established, please excuse my request that you send me a PM and know that I fully understand and appreciate your desire for privacy. My hope is that you do PM some members and that I may be included in that group.

My sincere regards,

Lisztener

#1054183 - 05/27/08 03:25 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Lisztener,

I sent you a PM.

Sophia

#1054184 - 05/27/08 08:01 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
4000 Post Club Member

Lisztner: I posted my comments on youtube for all the world to read. But just to say it here...I was misty-eyed. Your playing touched me greatly. Chopin's etude Op. 25, #1 is quite similiar, and I wonder who wrote theirs first. Not that it really matters. Both are beyond my ability. I never will have the discipline that the left hand requires. Thank you for posting it. (And my hometown is Chicago, so it was a double treat.)

Jordang: Thank you for your highly informative list of possible Chopin biographies. I believe Siepman also did a tape on Beethoven. Now, I will have to hunt Amazon to see if I can find the one on Chopin.

Kathleen

#1054185 - 05/27/08 03:47 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Sophia,

Thank you for the PM and the requested information concerning Franz Liszt's "Pensees des Morts." I will place an order for a CD containing "Harmonies Poetiques et Religieuses" to get the full listening pleasure of the Pensees des Morts.

It was a distinct pleasure to hear from you.

Warm regards,

Lisztener

#1054186 - 05/27/08 03:50 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kathleen,

Thank you for your kind comments both here in the Liszt Devotee thread and on YouTube.

Chicago, especially Grant Park, was an unexpected delight. The weather was just warm enough that by wearing a sweater and jacket and by staying on the move we were able to walk the entire park in four hours. Beautiful city!

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054187 - 05/28/08 05:45 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dear Lisztener,
You are most welcome. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the CD-- it has some of Liszt' most beautiful and spiritual music. Horowitz loved the "Benediction de Dieu dans la Solitude" very much.

Sophia

#1054188 - 05/28/08 12:31 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sophia,

I went to quite a few sites that have free downloadable .mp3s of classical performances without luck. I then "Googled" for a freebie of "Pensees des morts" without success, so, I placed an order with Amazon for two CDs by Philip Thomson of "Liszt's Complete Piano Music" Volumes No. 3 and No. 4. Volume No. 3 has all six "Harmonies Poetiques et Religieuses" that contain "Pensees des morts" and the piece Horowitz loved so much.

Thank you very much for leading me to these works. From the snippets available, I'm eager to hear all six pieces.

I have the score for Pensees. It looks quite difficult. If the tempo is slow enough, I may try to learn it. We'll see.

Best wishes,

Lisztener

#1054189 - 05/29/08 02:16 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am glad you will have the CD, Lisztener. There are parts of the Pensees that are very very difficult and others that appear to be quite a bit easier-- lyrical and very beautiful nonetheless. Please let me know how it goes.

Sophia

#1054190 - 06/04/08 04:30 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
Hello--

I'd like to ask a couple of rather uninformed questions:

How is the name of Liszt's birthplace, Raiding, pronounced? I don't know if it should be German or otherwise. It is not typical of a Hungarian word as far as I know, which is not very far.

And who came up with the generic title "Consolation" originally, Liszt or Mendelssohn? Or someone else less familiar?

Thanks,

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1054191 - 06/04/08 12:47 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Elene
I think Raiding is its Austrian name but its Hungarian name was Doborjan or Dobornya-- it's now in Austria but used to be part of Hungary prior to WW 1. I'm not sure how it's pronounced ..

Sophia

#1054192 - 06/05/08 12:57 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Sophia. It makes more sense to think that Raiding had once had a Hungarian name.

Elene

#1054193 - 06/05/08 04:02 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dear Sophi´a,

I'm not finished listening to the two CDs by Philip Thomson (Complete Piano Music Volumes - 3 & 4,) but I have listened, more than a couple times, to No.3, on volume 3 the "Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude" so favored by Horowitz, and to No.4, on volume 3 the "Pensee des morts" (Thought of the Dead.) Here is an interesting observation by the pianist, Thomson, on 3 & 4, the Benediction (3) and the Pensee (4),

Quote:
"If the Benediction de Dieu causes us to temporarily surrender our rationality to its ecstasy, the pensee des morts is an ascent into sheer madness. I do not know what to say about this piece. It is so profoundly moving that I feel I have never actually performed it; I have simply been on stage and allowed it to lead me as it will, with no effort on my part. The ineffable beauty of the G major theme cannot help but induce the experience of transcendence. I consider this work to be both the core of the set, and one of the most powerful arguments ever made for the ability of music to communicate things that cannot otherwise be expressed."
They are both magnificent, IMO, and they are, unfortunately, above my skill level to learn at present. Thank you for the heads up.

I haven’t (naturally) completed the Walker three volume biography of Liszt; however, it is so scholarly and filled with information that may well be impossible to find elsewhere, that I am completely immersed into the past as though I were living there at the time the events occurred.

Thank you, Greg, and Liszt’s Pinky for the recommendation. This is, indeed, an important work.

Warm regards,

Ron — Lisztener

#1054194 - 06/06/08 09:56 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Lisztener,

I'm so glad you are enjoying these sublime works and the wonderful Walker books. I had not read those liner notes before but Thomson really captures my feelings about the Pensees des Morts exactly-- a transmutation of profound grief into highest art.

best,

Sophia

#1054195 - 07/22/08 01:35 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

A biographical question: I remember reading that as a child Franz once became extremely ill and was considered to be dead for a number of hours, then suddenly revived. Does anyone have details?

Thanks,

Elene

#1054196 - 07/22/08 09:51 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Elene,
I think you are correct that Liszt became gravely ill with a fever as a child (not sure of the age-- 7 maybe?) and was not expected to live for a time

Sophia

#1054197 - 07/22/08 11:46 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sophia,

I am remembering that it was age 7 too, but it seems to me that they thought he had actually died.

Elene

#1054198 - 07/22/08 11:56 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Frederic Lamond (1868-1948) was one of Liszt's last students.

Here's an incredible recording from the 1940s of Lamond talking about his first meeting with Liszt in 1885:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1NUC7EBK

The mp3 file is 22MB.

from pianophilia.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1054199 - 07/23/08 03:21 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mel,

I have followed your link, but cannot get past the instructional cursor that continues to move around the screen. I'd like to download the file, but I don't wish to install additional software to do so.

Am I missing something simple to retrieve this file?

Thank you,

Lisztener

#1054200 - 07/23/08 10:12 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Lisztener,

When I click on the link, I get the usual megaupload screen.

It says to type in the 3 letters and click on "Download" in the upper right corner.

Wait 45 seconds for the counter to reach zero and click on "Free Download".

I've downloaded from them many times and have never seen the cursor you mention.

Did you try the link several times?

Sometimes it takes more than once to get through.

Are you using Firefox browser?

You should never have to install additional software to download a file.

If you still can't get the link to work, I'll upload it to mediafire for you.

It's a wonderful reminiscence of what it was like for the 17 year old Lamond to meet the legendary Liszt and become his pupil.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (Akshay, Almaviva, 36251, ando, 32 invisible), 1407 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153574 Topics
2250733 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
04/19/14 08:04 AM
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
04/19/14 07:44 AM
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
04/19/14 05:08 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission