Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#1053991 - 05/24/07 03:56 PM ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I just ran the search of ABF for 'Liszt' in the subject line and got this result:

You searched for keywords: 'Liszt' | 1 matches found

This is gross injustice towards our beloved composer who really defines the Romantic movement more than anybody else! So, with a goal of eradicating such discrimination, I start this thread of Liszt Devotees.

Liszt's music is a much feared subject for beginners - with all those Transcendental Etudes, Hungarian Rhapsodies, etc. Yet, despite being at times very technical, Liszt is also incredibly melodic and easy to comprehend. And, he did write piano compositions that are manageable at beginner level - well, maybe, not at total beginner, but given the sheer explosion of talent that I see (hear?) here at ABF, I think that the fear of Liszt should be banned!

I open this thread with just a few links to our favorite composer, and will expand this post with cross references to "the best of the thread" and outside links periodically.

Liszt Links[/b]

Franz Liszt on Wikipedia

Americal Liszt Society
Liszt sheet music on IMSLP
Piano Society page - recordings and sheet music
A site with many anecdotes and Liszt quotes

Threads on ABF related to Liszt:[/b]

Easy Liszt Pieces
Hungarian Rhapsody... how hard?

Books about Liszt[/b]

Alan Walker\'s "Liszt years" (3-volume set, link is to the first volume on Amazon) (Get it at the library)
Liszt[/b] by Derek Watson

*new*[/b] Absolutely stunning recording (from 1940s) of Frederic Lamond (one of Liszt students) talking about Liszt (thanx, Mel!):
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/4411/9.html#000207

If you have a favorite Liszt resource on the Internet, please e-mail me and I will add it here.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1053992 - 05/24/07 04:02 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
ted.stanion Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Maybe it's just me, but the name "Liszt" and the term "beginner" don't seem to be a felicitous pairing. I wish I could play some of his music, but I can't (yet).

Ted

#1053993 - 05/24/07 04:43 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Stanion:
Maybe it's just me, but the name "Liszt" and the term "beginner" don't seem to be a felicitous pairing. I wish I could play some of his music, but I can't (yet).
Ted [/b]
Ted:

This is exactly the attitude that I am talking about when I say that Liszt is undeservedly feared by beginners. And, it is entirely unwarranted! Here is a wonderful easy Liszt's piece for beginner:

A theme from "8 variations":

imslp.org/wiki/Huit_Variations%2C_S.148_%28Liszt%2C_Franz%29

(copy and paste URL to browser - this BB won't allow links with parenthesis in the URL)

I don't seem to be able to find a recording of it on the internet, but when I get home, I'll try to sight-read it and (if not too embarrassing) post it here.

#1053994 - 05/24/07 05:17 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i'm not a devotee of anyone (except Beethoven perhaps), and never learned any Liszt pieces. but i'm going to learn his Consolation 3 pretty soon, since i begin to feel that my techniques finally are up to the task.

#1053995 - 05/24/07 05:23 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
sign me up! I'm a huge fan of the man and his music! (and yes, it intimidates me!!)

Sophia

#1053996 - 05/24/07 05:42 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
Here's a site that has many anecdotes and Liszt quotes http://www.users.cloud9.net/~recross/why-not/Florilegium.html

Here's a site with 200 of his works available to download the sheetmusic for:
http://www.imslp.org/wiki/Category:Liszt%2C_Franz

And Alan Walker's bio of Liszt is a very good read. (get it at a library, the volumes are quite expensive)

One fact I read about Liszt in Walker's book was that Liszt played (or tried to play) difficult passages with every imaginable fingering. So when you start playing his more complex stuff, the fingering noted by Liszt will end up being the most efficient.

#1053997 - 05/24/07 05:57 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

Count me in as a devoteee! Although Beethoven is my favorite classical composer, Liszt is my favorite classical* pianist!

I recently bought a book of sheet music by Liszt, and there are many pieces that the relatively skilled beginner can handle. Not every single piece of Liszt takes a Piano Deity to play.

*I know Liszt was a romantic but I use the term broadly like the general public does.

#1053998 - 05/24/07 06:10 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
I'm in as well! I'm a big Liszt fan and just finished reading Derek Watson's biography.

Edit: Although having a thread on Liszt with links to interesting places about him, I think there would probably be more discussion about Liszt if those interested in him would start threads of their own on different Liszt topics. Yuri could then perhaps create links to those threads. I think this is probably a better mechanism than having another "superthread" ala the Chopin thread that contains both links and discussions.

I'll start a thread tomorrow on a topic about Liszt that I've been interested in for a while.

#1053999 - 05/24/07 11:21 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Oh great, the balkaniztion of the ABF begins: the Chopin people vs. the Liszt people \:\)

I like them both a lot, although I'm far more familiar with Chopin's works. Liszt is something I've been putting off because I just don't feel "ready".

Don't click here!

#1054000 - 05/24/07 11:38 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I like this idea!

Liszt composed great music, and from what I've read, was a really good guy.

Although I don't really like the 'devotee' thing. That will leave out other cool composers like Alkan or Beethoven.

#1054001 - 05/24/07 11:39 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
UH OH! more Liszt addicts. \:D

#1054002 - 05/25/07 12:03 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

playadom,

I think it's about time that Liszt devotees have a thread to discuss this giant of the romantic era. If others wish to begin threads about other composers (which they have), then more power to them. I'm for letting this thread find its level of interest. Of course, I have a bias toward Liszt, thus the avatar and user name.

No offense intended,

Lisztener

#1054003 - 05/25/07 12:10 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
Here is a wonderful easy Liszt's piece for beginner:

A theme from "8 variations":

imslp.org/wiki/Huit_Variations%2C_S.148_%28Liszt%2C_Franz%29

(copy and paste URL to browser - this BB won't allow links with parenthesis in the URL)
[/b]
The date on that is 1824... Liszt was born in 1811.

#1054004 - 05/25/07 12:15 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sophia,

While I was studying Liszt's Consolation No. 3, I did a search on YouTube and found many versions. Here is a link to my favorite performance of this piece on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fas_xU_Lw

I hope you enjoy it and I believe you will do a wonderful job of playing it, soon.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054005 - 05/25/07 12:24 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
Liszt is something I've been putting off because I just don't feel "ready". [/b]
Greg,

After listening to your masterful performance of Debussy in the latest recital, I don't understand this response from you. I believe you have the virtuosity to handle many of Liszt's concert pieces.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054006 - 05/25/07 12:52 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow! I sure started something here... It's been only a few howrs that I was away from a computer, and the thread has taken on a life of its own.

Thank you, thank you! It is so wonderful to see so many people here!

As promised (and very embarrasing), I just printed and (ahemmm) sight-read (or, should I say, sight-maligned) the theme from 8 variations. Now, what a wonderful piece for a total beginner!

http://www.box.net/shared/r8d4ihhef8

I wish there was a rendition of it by concert pianist on youtube or something - I am not doing it justice....

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention: I played it with no repeats so as not to prolong your suffering. Otherwise it would have been twice as long.

#1054007 - 05/25/07 12:59 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by C7 Player:
[QB]
Edit: Although having a thread on Liszt with links to interesting places about him, I think there would probably be more discussion about Liszt if those interested in him would start threads of their own on different Liszt topics. Yuri could then perhaps create links to those threads. I think this is probably a better mechanism than having another "superthread" ala the Chopin thread that contains both links and discussions.
QB]
Great idea! I will cross-reference the various Liszt threads here. Meanwhile, so that this "meta-thread" is easily accessible, could you, please, add Liszt (with a reference to this thread) in the "important topics" pinned thread?

#1054008 - 05/25/07 01:05 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
Sophia,

While I was studying Liszt's Consolation No. 3, I did a search on YouTube and found many versions. Here is a link to my favorite performance of this piece on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fas_xU_Lw

I hope you enjoy it and I believe you will do a wonderful job of playing it, soon.

Regards,

Lisztener [/b]
Thanks very much, Lisztener! I'll keep working on it.

I think it's great to have threads devoted to composers like Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven and more. THe more we learn and share about these geniuses, the better as far as I'm concerned!

Sophia

#1054009 - 05/25/07 02:17 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YD:
 Quote:
Originally posted by C7 Player:
[QB]
QB]
Great idea! I will cross-reference the various Liszt threads here. Meanwhile, so that this "meta-thread" is easily accessible, could you, please, add Liszt (with a reference to this thread) in the "important topics" pinned thread? [/b]
Done.

#1054010 - 05/25/07 03:49 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by gerg:
Liszt is something I've been putting off because I just don't feel "ready". [/b]
Greg,

After listening to your masterful performance of Debussy in the latest recital, I don't understand this response from you. I believe you have the virtuosity to handle many of Liszt's concert pieces.
[/b]
That was a very kind thing to say, Lisztener, esp. considering the quality of your own performance of Scriabin. Thank you.

I do have a lot to learn and many holes in technique to patch up. That is the disadvantage to being self-taught ("He who is self-taught has a fool for a teacher"): Technique acquisition must happen on-the-fly, and since you're learning pieces you want to play rather than ones you have to play, chances are they are not the best ones for one's particular technical deficiencies - just as a child, without parental guidance, would eat pizza and junk food for every meal rather than meat and vegetables. Right now I am learning Chopin 25/6 because I need work with chord unity and I also happen to adore this piece.

There are plenty of Liszt pieces that pass the interest test with flying colors, too - one is Valse Oubliee No. 1 - which will likely be the first Liszt piece I learn. But need to clear some of the other irons out of the fire first...

Thanks again for the kind encouragement, and for the excellent reviews you've submitted so far on the recital, too!

Best,

Don't click here!

#1054011 - 05/25/07 02:50 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wouldn't it be interesting to share how we all came to appreciate Liszt? What was the first Liszt's piece that you remember listening to?

I'll start. I probably had my first Liszt exposure during the years of studying music as a child (I studied for 7 years in "music school" - not only piano, but also theory/solfeggio, music literature, choir; standard beginning music education in Ukraine). I don't remember that; in fact, I was very baroque-centric, my repertoire was 90% Bach (I even won a competition in my 6 grade IIRC playing 2nd Partita). My home was very musical (my father almost made a career as a concert pianist, but in the end concentrated on mathematics - he is now a chair of the department of Algebra in the Kiev Institute of Mathematics), but strangely enough, the music in our home was again mostly baroque and classical (up to Schubert - if there is any particularly beautiful moment that I remember from my childhood - it is my father playing Schubert Impromptus) plus a bit of Chopin.

The first Liszt piece that I clearly remember (and am still considering the quintessential Liszt - if there is any piece I really- really- really want to play - uh - someday, this is it!) is the Blizzard, the 12th of the Transcendental Etudes. That's when I started paying close attention to Liszt. My circle of university friends (many were good pianists) was very much into Romantics, but with a distinct skew towards late Russian; Liszt was being feared as "unplayable," so I never tried any Liszt piece until my early twenties (it was 5th Hungarian Rhapsody - which I attempted to play for the 6th recital).

Unfortunately, I had a really bad injury of right hand - actually, two injuries: broken 4th finger and shattered wrist (skiing) - avoided scapho-lunate dissociation by a hair - that would have pretty much ended any prospects of restarting piano. Hence 12-year gap in my playing and only one Liszt piece that I kind of play now... ( Link to my intro on the intro thread )

My favorite Liszt pieces are:
Hungarian Rhapsodies (especially, 2,5,6)
Transcendental Etudes (Especially, 4,5,6,11,12)
Liebestraumes
Paganini Etudes, including, but not limited to La Campanella (did you know that the Paganini Etudes were dedicated to Liszt archrival Clara Schumann?)
Schubert songs transcriptions (especially "Erlkönig", "Ständchen", "Ave Maria")
Dante Sonata
many more

#1054012 - 05/25/07 03:14 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Yuri,

I didn't know much about Liszt' music when I was first studying piano other than the ubiquitous Liebestraume which always sounded too syrupy to me, at least the way it was usually played. Then I heard a CD of Horowitz playing Liszt and was knocked out-- then found the Argerich version of the B minor Sonata. Oh my. Words fail. Other favorites are the Cypresses at the Villa d'Este I and II, Annees des pelerinage, Pensees de mort, and on and on. He was so ground-breaking in his harmonies-- Wagner borrowed from him, more than the reverse.
Plus what a human being! More energy, heart and adventure in one lifetime than most people could pack into 5 lifetimes! Are there any decent movies or dramatizations of his life?

Sophia

#1054013 - 05/25/07 04:42 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have a DVD of Evgeny Kissin titled "The Gift of Music" that to me is fantastic. I'll not go into detail about the DVD, but I have become a fan of Kissin. I believe he is one of the best, if not the best, classical pianists in the world. Back to the DVD, during an encore he performs Liszt's Etude No.3 in G Sharp Flat, better known as "La Campanella". I have never heard a more intense piece of music so masterfully played as this. The 6,000 in attendance at the Proms in Albert Hall, London cheered him to the point of raising goose bumps on my arms. I highly recommend this DVD. It has been out for such a long time that the price is unbeatably reasonable for the quality received.

Lisztener

#1054014 - 05/25/07 05:07 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Lisztener,

I also have that DVD and have watched it many times. Kissin's performance is just amazing and the atmosphere in Albert Hall must have just been electric.

#1054015 - 05/26/07 12:33 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Greg,

Look what I found on YouTube, speaking of Kissin's La Campanella.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY

Naturally, the production qualities are inferior to watching the performance on DVD, but it is still magnificent.

Lisztener

#1054016 - 05/26/07 02:45 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Greg,

[/b]
Kissin is #1! Thanx for the link, Lisztener! Magnificent indeed!

#1054017 - 05/26/07 08:13 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Some of my favorite Liszt pieces are:

Valee d'Obermann

Reminiscences de Norma

The three Sonneti di Petrarca

Un Sospiro

Wilde Jagd

Feux Follets

Tannhauser Overture

Polonaise in E

HR 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 2

Venezia e Napoli

Grand Galop Chromatique

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1054018 - 05/26/07 09:28 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
BB Player Offline

Quote:
Greg,

Naturally, the production qualities are inferior to watching the performance on DVD, but it is still magnificent.

Lisztener [/b]
Thanks for the link Lisztener! It's nice to be able to watch online.

If I recall correctly from the introduction to the DVD, this was the first time in its (very long) history that the Proms has had only a solo pianist as performer and that it very quickly sold out. That's what I found so amazing about watching the DVD (besides Kissin's playing!): the almost "rock concert" atmosphere and the enthusiasm of the audience. I've never witnessed anything like it at a classical concert of any sort here in the states.

To anyone who doesn't own the DVD and is a fan of Liszt, or Kissin, or both, this is one you don't want to miss.

#1054019 - 05/26/07 01:48 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Fraggle Offline

Loc: Nottingham, U.K.
The video of Ciffra playing the Grand Galop is extremely impressive. When I showed it to a non-pianist friend she wouldn`t believe it wasn`t camera trickery :-)

#1054020 - 05/28/07 07:21 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Congratulations on your new Liszt Devotee thread. I think Liszt is great although it will be some time before I feel comfortable playing his music.

Besides there is another composer with whom I have an even greater regard. \:\) \:D

Kathleen

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, AmateurBob, 38 invisible), 1769 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156188 Topics
2293649 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacing a treble string-Steinway B-under the bass strings
by Greg the Piano Tuner
Today at 11:47 AM
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
Today at 11:25 AM
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
Today at 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
Today at 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
Today at 09:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission