2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
8. Without him, there would be no public recitals or the thought f memorization (i believe before that it was considered respectful to use a composers score while playing it).

9. His sightreading skills were unbelieveable! [Look 2 posts up]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
10. His sense of humor! Liszt is reputed to have clapped wildly after a bad performance by an ill-prepped student after having made faces to the rest of the students in the group during the performance. The student would smugly take it in then face the guffaws of the others. (Not real funny for the performer, but for the rest, hilarious!)

11. His contribution to the technical aspects of pianism.

12. His influence in the shaping of the future direction of classical music.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
YD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Oh, so nobody wanted to do #13? I'll pitch in:

13. His music. Really, from wild energies of Mazeppa to deep poeticism of Chasse-Neige, from complex texture of B minor sonata to transparent brilliance of Liebestraume #3, from the explosive optimism of Valse di bravura to deep sorrowness of Pensée des morts, his music always finds its way to the inner hearts of true music lovers.

14. What he did to the music of great composers that came before him: his transcriptions of Schubert song , Beethoven's symphonies, Paganini caprices, etc.

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
15. Consolation #3

16. His larger than life spirit and charisma

17. As a young man, he was incredibly handsome!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
18. He gave up a fabulously successful career as a touring virtuoso performer to devote himself to composing and teaching.

next?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
19. He created a LisztAddict laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
20. Alkan!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
I'm a big fan of Liszt followed closely by F. Chopin. On the first page a few posters mentioned Evegny Kissin (sorry if i got it wrong) performing La Campanella.

Here's another youtube video of Liszt's 'La Campanella' performed by Yundi Li.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnfZjqMSy0

I feel that his interpretation is better than Kissin's (don't hurt me! frown ) simply because it doesn't sound as rushed i suppose. Anybody would like to refute/support this claim?

Cheers

P.S: Gotta love this Liszt thread! Thanks for bringing up my favourite composer laugh

For those who are wondering who Yundi Li is (this is for the fans of Chopin) he was the youngest child ever to win the International Chopin Competition held at Warsaw(?) every year!

nUtChAi

Kawai K-5

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
nUtChAi,

I am quite taken by Yundi Li to the extent that he is my next favorite concert pianist behind Evgeny Kissin. I own two DVDs of Yundi Li; the first, his 2000 win of the Chopin competition, 2nd, Yundi Li Live in Concert. To compare with these I have the Kissin DVD, "The Gift of Music".

I listened to his performance from your link to YouTube and must admit his performance is breathtaking and trying to choose a favorite performance between the two is too difficult for me to attempt. It's like trying to compare two like diamonds of equal weight and brilliance cut by two different jewelers. For this performance I concede to equality but no more. Each is great. I hate to equivocate because I admire both performers immensely. My vote for the greatest living concert pianist still goes to Evgeny Kissin.

Congratulations on joining the forums! You will find much stimulating conversation about both of the romantic titans here and elsewhere. Enjoy your journey and welcome to the best forum on the Internet. If interested, feel free to contribute a performance in the upcoming (November) ABF piano recital. As the time draws near you will see a post from Monica K. on how to enter. It's great fun and you'll hear much beautiful music from all levels of play.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Lisztener

Thanks Lisztener smile

I would consider joining in the performance but I'm all the way in Australia frown

Maybe I could've played Liebestraum Nr.3...

Will there be a video recording of the performances?

And this forum is great smile They've made me feel very welcomed.

nutchai

nUtChAi

Kawai K-5

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Don't get the impression that your location is a hindrance. There are members from all over the world who enter and enjoy the recitals.

Currently, performances are submitted to Monica K. at an address that she will make available in her soon-to-come post with the rules of entry. The format is .mp3 and we here in the Liszt Devotee forum would be delighted to hear your submission of L3. As a matter of fact there is an L3 study group that seems to have (temporarily, I hope) fallen out of favor. If you go to the top sticky on the ABF home page, C7 Player, one of the moderators of the ABF, has a link to the study groups. The thread is titled "Important Topics on the Adult Beginners Forum". Take a look if you wish and comment there in the study group thread to bring it back to the front page of threads.

Gotta go, have fun, smile

Lisztener

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cziffra was the reincarnation of Liszt.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Balakirev:
Cziffra was the reincarnation of Liszt.
Kemal Gekic is the reincarnation of Liszt. I say nothing about his playing, but he did his hair up for one CD, and it looked quite convincing. [Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
:)That's convincing, but what about the playing?

Have any of you heard Cziffra's La Campanella? It is by far the best of them all, since he plays with the true spirit of Liszt.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
:)That's convincing, but what about the playing?

Have any of you heard Cziffra's La Campanella? It is by far the best of them all, since he plays with the true spirit of Liszt.
I have heard a lot of Cziffra, and most of the time he's quite good. I've never heard his La Campanella though, I'll check it out. He seems to be a bit too 'free' with his Hungarian Rhapsodies.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by Lisztener:

I am quite taken by Yundi Li to the extent that he is my next favorite concert pianist behind Evgeny Kissin. I own two DVDs of Yundi Li; the first, his 2000 win of the Chopin competition, 2nd, Yundi Li Live in Concert. To compare with these I have the Kissin DVD, "The Gift of Music".
I'm also very fond of what I've heard of Yundi Li's playing. I've heard his Andante spianato et Grand polonaise brillante on the bonus disc in the Steinway Legends collection and it's wonderful. I think our tastes are very similar so I'm going to have to take your recommendation and pick up his DVD's.

Greg
YD Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:
[b] :)That's convincing, but what about the playing?

I have heard a lot of Cziffra, and most of the time he's quite good. I've never heard his La Campanella though, I'll check it out. He seems to be a bit too 'free' with his Hungarian Rhapsodies. [/b]
I have to concur: Cziffra indeed was Liszt's reincarnation. His HRs are, IMHO, the absolute best I've ever heard. Yeah, they are kind of free, but knowing what Liszt was, I am sure he played them kind of free too. Cziffra's La Campanella is a treat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqKsCGNq6R8

Yuri
FWIW; YMMV
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes. His style is wild, free, and fun (and often showy)--entirely different than anyone else. I have no idea how he produces some of those unique sounds in his HRs. I never thought a piano could make such a sound.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Balakirev,

I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner with a response to Cziffra playing Liszt's La Campanella. I've listened a few times to the 4:15 version with pictures on YouTube and I must say that his play is scintillating and when I close my eyes I see Franz Liszt as he must have performed (if he was as technically talented as Cziffra}.

Cziffra's sound is robust and flamboyant, but with this piece I am convinced he is the reincarnation of Liszt. I haven't changed my favorite performer for other reasons, yet I am eager to acquire other works by him.

Your words about him in the above post are spot on.

Thank you, Yuri, for the link to this magnificent performance.

Regards to both of you,

Lisztener

Boy do I need to learn a lot (playing AND knowing music)!! I sure like the La Campanella by Yundi Li especially the slow parts where he articulate and phrases so well!! I love it when the lifting between notes (the silences/stacatto) are so impeccable! I like his version better then the others (Cziffra / Evgeny Kissin).

Thank you for sharing this link!

I suppose La Campanella isn't a beginner piece wink

Kawai K6
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission