Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
161 registered (Alan Cyr, accordeur, 47 invisible), 1841 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76993 Members
42 Forums
159244 Topics
2339294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#1054201 - 07/23/08 11:53 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mel,

I did everything but the right thing with my other attempts. I tried copying and pasting the actual file name into the download box. After seeing your last post I went back to the site, entered the three characters, waited till the countdown was complete and voila. :rolleyes: \:D

Tasks are so easy when done correctly, eh? \:o

Thank you much for the link. I haven't listened to all 19 minutes, but I look forward to it.

Regards,

Lisztener

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1054202 - 07/24/08 12:54 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mel,

I listened to the entire file and I must say that I am moved by the audible sense of history that is saved for us and future generations of Liszt devotees.

The fidelity of the voice and piano recording is excellent considering its age.

I don't know how many threads that you have posted this link, but I believe it is important enough to be made available to other members in other PW forums.

Once again, I offer my thanks for this historic first person narrative from a pupil of Franz Liszt.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

#1054203 - 07/24/08 09:21 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Mel:
Great link!
Lisztener: one thing I can do (actually, already did: see
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/4411.html
) is reference Mel's post in the opening of this thread; this way it will be more visible by people who first look at this thread.

#1054204 - 07/25/08 03:25 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yuri,

I'm glad you recognize the importance of this narrative and have placed the link, with explanation, in the beginning of this thread. For those interested in "all things Liszt", this is a great place for the link.

Regards,

Lisztener

#1054205 - 09/07/08 01:06 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
dannylux Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
In her book of reminiscences, the pianist Ilka Horovitz-Barnay has an account of the story of Liszt's meeting with Beethoven.

From 1875 she belonged to the "Liszt circle" and had many opportunities to talk to the great man himself - and here is her account:

The most memorable time I experienced with Liszt was when he told me of his meeting with Beethoven.
"I was about eleven years old" , he began "when my highly esteemed teacher Czerny introduced me to Beethoven. He had long before told him about me and had asked him to hear me play. But Beethoven had aversions against prodigies and for a long time refused to hear me. Finally though he was persuaded by my indefatigable teacher Czerny and said: "Then for God's sake - bring the little rascal".

It was one morning about ten o'clock when we entered the two small rooms of the Schwarzspanierhaus, where Beethoven lived.

I was somewhat embarrassed - but Czerny kindly encouraged me. Beethoven was sitting by the window at a long narrow table working. For a moment he looked at us with a serious face, said a couple of quick words to Czerny but turned silent as my dear teacher signaled to me to go to the piano.

First I played a small piece of [Ferdinand] Ries [another pupil of Beethoven]. When I had finished Beethoven asked if I could play a fugue by Bach. I chose the C minor fugue from Wohltemperiertes Klavier. "Can you transpose this fugue", Beethoven asked. Fortunately I could. After the finishing chord I looked up. Beethoven deep glowing eyes rested upon me - but suddenly a light smile flew over his otherwise serious face. He approached me and stoked me several times over my head with affection.

"Well - I'll be blowed" he whispered, "such a little devil". Suddenly my courage rose: "May I play one of your pieces?" I asked with audacity.
Beethoven nodded with a smile. I played the first movement of his C major piano concerto [nr. 1]. When I had finished Beethoven stretched out his arms, kissed me on my forehead and said in a soft voice:

"You go on ahead. You are happy! It will be your destiny to bring joy and delight to many people and that is the greatest happiness one can achieve".

Liszt told me this with great emotion; his voice trembled but you could feel what divine joy these simple words had given him. Never did Liszt - the human being - make a greater impression on me. The flamboyant man-of-the-world, the revered artist was gone; this great moment he had experienced in his childhood still resounded in his soul. For a little while he was silent - then he said quietly:

"This was the proudest moment in my life - the inauguration to my life as artist. I tell this very rarely - and only to special friends."

quoted from http://hjem.get2net.dk/Brofeldt/Catalogue_l.htm

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1054206 - 09/07/08 02:51 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by dannylux:

"I was about eleven years old" , he began "when my highly esteemed teacher Czerny introduced me to Beethoven. He had long before told him about me and had asked him to hear me play. But Beethoven had aversions against prodigies and for a long time refused to hear me. Finally though he was persuaded by my indefatigable teacher Czerny and said: "Then for God's sake - bring the little rascal".
I've heard this story before, but I don't believe it.

Liszt was 11 in October of 1822, and according to all I've read, Beethoven was almost totally deaf by that time. Unless Beethoven was able to judge his playing by watching his fingers, this seems very far-fetched, at best!

#1054207 - 10/14/08 08:54 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

*blows the dust off the thread*

Man, its been a minute since anyone's posted in here. A shame for all that Liszt has contributed!!!! Anyhow I'd like to bring up two things that certainly find their place right here in this thread.

1. I have officially started the Liszt aficionado quest of reading Alan Walker's 3 volume biography. I finished book one and have made about 20 pages headway into the Weimar Years. I must say that it certainly is as interesting as people have claimed it to be and is actually a quick read. If I absolutely had to complain about anything, it'd be I feel that Walker writes with a highly biased voice that I find a little annoying. But I can't deny facts if there right in front of my face. Secondly, the footnotes can get rather long, but overall, an AMAZING book.

2. IN 8 DAYS IT'LL BE THE 197TH ANNIVERSARY OF LISZT'S BIRTH!! Now I'd like to support some appreciation and that if anyone here has ever recorded even the most simple piece to put it in this thread, even if its 10yrs old, anything would be nice. I myself, will TRY to get something up, but right now i have no recording device whatsoever but I'll see whats the cheapest digital recorder and if its within my budget I'll try to provide support as well.

anyways, thats two things to get this thread rollin'....again.

#1054208 - 10/15/08 02:00 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Beethoven Fan,

I am in the middle of the second of the three volume set by Alan Walker. I'm not reading them rapidly, nonetheless, with great enjoyment. I'm glad that Walker is advocating for Liszt. I'm sure you know that one of his driving motivations in dedicating 25 years of his life to this master-work was to dispel false rumors and exhaustively examine the life of this foremost virtuoso of the Romantic period. Walker's biographies of Liszt have made him the most authoritative source for the study of his subject. I'm mightily impressed with his work and recommend it to anyone with a desire to know Franz Liszt.

In the course of the eleven online recitals here in the ABF, I have found the following Liszt entries. (There may be more in the recitals without specifying Liszt as the composer, but I believe I have them all). Also, there may have been other postings of Liszt's music outside the recitals.

Here is a list of contributors that I found in the recitals. I didn't include links because some of the links are no longer working. If you wish to have all the pieces by Liszt from all eleven recitals, you can download the .zip files and extract them to folders on your computer. I have done this with each recital and have a separate folder for each containing every entry from all of the recitals. I don't have them individually on a web site or I would be most happy to share them with you. I offer you my humble entry to recital No. 5 that I recently posted to YouTube. This is one of Liszt's simpler pieces technically, but I love the uncomplicated melody of his beautiful Consolation No. 3. I hope you enjoy and I'll make this link and simple piece contained within my contribution to the master's upcoming 197th birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEEKmt_u9zI

Here is my list of recital contributors with the pieces they played:

Recital No. 1. LisztAddict - Standchen - Schubert/Liszt

Recital No. 2. BlueMarine - Consolation No. 2 - Liszt

Recital No. 4. LiszAddict - Ave Maria - Liszt

Recital No. 5. Lisztener - Consolation No. 3 - Liszt

Recital No. 6. LisztAddict - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 - Liszt

Recital No. 6. YD - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 5 - Liszt

Recital No. 7. LisztAddict - Widmung - Schumann/Liszt

Recital No. 8. YD - Transcendental Etude No. 1 - Liszt

Recital No. 10. LisztAddict - Liebestraum No. 3 - Liszt[/b]

Warm regards from another Beethoven fan, as well,

Lisztener

#1054209 - 10/15/08 07:22 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

Thank you very much Lisztener for the response. I'll hopefully try and obtain the time to download and listen to some of those recital pieces.
This composer is certainly astounding and I'd love to hear our other members' take on it. Its funny, because we all talk about how we play and how we all love piano yet not all of us share what we're capable of. I'll admit that I'm guilty of this myself, and I was hoping to change that for this. I understand that I only gave a week's notice and its hardly likely anyone can learn a piece, by LISZT of all people in a week but I certainly appreciate what you have given. That was a very beautiful rendition of his Consolation #3 and you've certainly earned your title as a Lisztener and acquired credit for your contribution. As I've said before, I may not be able to post a recording by next Wednesday but if I don't then these forums can atleast expect a Christmas gift from me to the forums as a much belated Liszt performance and an even more belated performance of an unnamed piece. Once again, I thank you and encourage anyone else to feel free to contribute.

#1054210 - 10/22/08 08:00 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO FRANZ LISZT!! Today we celebrate the birth of a man who single handedly revolutionized piano technique and form. To a true artist! As semi expected, I unfortunately have not recorded anything of my own in time for this important date. But as an animation major, I'd like to share these which all feature his notoriously difficult Hungarian Rhapsody #2 and which the Cat Concerto is particularly the one I owe to wanting to learn the piano and classical music.

Mickey Mouse Opry House

Tom and Jerry Cat Concerto

Bugs Bunny Rhapsody Rabbit

Rhapsody in Rivets

I hope you all enjoy!!

#1054211 - 10/22/08 10:10 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Franz Liszt![/b]

Thanks, Beethoven Fan, for reminding us of this important anniversary. \:\)

#1054212 - 10/22/08 11:37 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Indeed, Happy Birthday, wherever you are!
BTW, there is a recital of concert etudes being planned in the PC on Liszt's death date (per my proposal).

#1054213 - 11/22/08 04:11 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I can't believe I ever held the thought that Liszt's music was mostly flashy-for-virtuosity material.

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9FszXpKVM&feature=related

#1054214 - 11/22/08 05:20 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just came back from a piano concert by Pavel Nersesyan (Russian pianist), who played among other things a valse from Soirée de Vienne. What a magnificent piece it is! Here it is played by Horowitz on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBHF1iFoqc

#1054215 - 11/23/08 07:06 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I can't believe I missed Liszt's birthday!
Happy Birthday, dear Franz Liszt, and thank you for some of the most beautiful music ever written (and some of the most challenging!)

Beethoven Fan and Lisztener-- glad you are enjoying Walker! I've read all three volumes and hope to do so again soon. What a magnificent biography of an incredible man!

Sophia

#1054216 - 11/23/08 09:45 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I just discovered this delightful thread. Great links too! I am on my 2nd volume of Walker and thoroughly enjoying it. I am probably a couple of light years away from being able to play Liszt's work decently but I do love his music.
I was most impressed with the man's charisma and generosity as evidenced by so many episodes in his life. I thought his efforts to establish the Beethoven monument were remarkable indeed, as well as the free teaching he offered students.

#1054217 - 11/30/08 11:23 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

well, reading the captivating chapter "gathering of eagles" i came across that carl tausig wrote several finger exercises with one of particular note, tagliche studien. if only for historical curiosity, does anyone know where i can find the score for this? i have looked a little but been unsuccessful

#1054218 - 12/04/08 10:41 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

Well, I just finished reading the 2nd volume of the 3 volume biography of Franz Liszt and while it was a little slower getting up to speed it was another great read. in addition to the question stated above it got me curious about other things and a proposal. But I personally am interested in finding all editions of music edited by Liszt and his most noteworthy students.

i do know he edited john field's nocturnes and even wrote a preface which I haven't come across but will surely take the time to look at eventually. Also, i did snag hans van bulow's editions of chopin's etudes and according to the book klindworth's are invaluable. so i would like help in tracking these down. again, its a combination of historical curiosity as much as practicallity for my own personal use.

#1054219 - 01/07/09 08:36 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

After recently losing a brother to natural causes who was a United States Army veteran, the simple and haunting refrain of the lonely bugle playing "Taps" at his grave-site lends an added poignancy to art expressed in music as a monument to fallen military heroes.

Liszt's symphonic poem, "Heroide Funebre" is a funeral march. Liszt concludes his preface to this magnificent work with these words of truth that I now find particularly touching and consoling:

Quote:
In these successive wars and massacres-sinister sports-whatever may be the colour of the flags which rise proudly and boldly one against the other, on both sides they float steeped in heroic blood and inexhaustible tears. It is for Art to throw its transfiguring veil on the tomb of the brave, to encircle the dead and dying with its golden halo, so that they may be the envy of the living.

#1054220 - 01/10/09 02:12 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztener:
After recently losing a brother to natural causes who was a United States Army veteran, the simple and haunting refrain of the lonely bugle playing "Taps" at his grave-site lends an added poignancy to art expressed in music as a monument to fallen military heroes.

Liszt's symphonic poem, "Heroide Funebre" is a funeral march. Liszt concludes his preface to this magnificent work with these words of truth that I now find particularly touching and consoling:

Quote:
In these successive wars and massacres-sinister sports-whatever may be the colour of the flags which rise proudly and boldly one against the other, on both sides they float steeped in heroic blood and inexhaustible tears. It is for Art to throw its transfiguring veil on the tomb of the brave, to encircle the dead and dying with its golden halo, so that they may be the envy of the living.
[/b]
Sorry about your loss... This Liszt quote is really one of the truths that are untouched by time...
Have you ever lisztened to Pensees des morts ?

#1054221 - 01/10/09 03:47 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yuri,

Thank you for your condolences.

Concerning the Pensee des morts[/b] I trust you will not mind me quoting my post to Sophia a few months ago that sums my feelings about this evocative master-work in the words of the performer.

Quote:
post to Sophia, by Lisztener:

Dear Sophia,

I'm not finished listening to the two CDs by Philip Thomson (Complete Piano Music Volumes - 3 & 4,) but I have listened, more than a couple times, to No.3, on volume 3 the "Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude" so favored by Horowitz, and to No.4, on volume 3 the "Pensee des morts" (Thought of the Dead.) Here is an interesting observation by the pianist, Thomson, on 3 & 4, the Benediction (3) and the Pensee (4),

Quote:
by Philip Thomson:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If the Benediction de Dieu causes us to temporarily surrender our rationality to its ecstasy, the pensee des morts is an ascent into sheer madness. I do not know what to say about this piece. It is so profoundly moving that I feel I have never actually performed it; I have simply been on stage and allowed it to lead me as it will, with no effort on my part. The ineffable beauty of the G major theme cannot help but induce the experience of transcendence. I consider this work to be both the core of the set, and one of the most powerful arguments ever made for the ability of music to communicate things that cannot otherwise be expressed."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are both magnificent, IMO, and they are, unfortunately, above my skill level to learn at present. Thank you for the heads up.

I haven’t (naturally) completed the Walker three volume biography of Liszt; however, it is so scholarly and filled with information that may well be impossible to find elsewhere, that I am completely immersed into the past as though I were living there at the time the events occurred.

Thank you, Greg, and Liszt’s Pinky for the recommendation. This is, indeed, an important work.

Warm regards,

Ron — Lisztener
You are so correct, Yuri, in your observation that the above post quotes Liszt's words that, indeed, transcend time and place. The bugle call at my brother's funeral immediately brought a mental image of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery. That image was quickly followed by the ceremony and speech by President Ronald Reagan in Normandy, France, June 5, 1984, at the 40th anniversary of the Normandy D-Day landing. He paid special tribute to the 20 million Russian people who perished during World War II, "a terrible price that testifies to all the world the necessity of ending war."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/05/national/main621260.shtml

In each instance above commemorating fallen heroes, Liszt's words burn into my soul as I remember one fallen hero from the present and millions of fallen heroes from the past.

Thank you, again, for your reminder of the timelessness of Liszt's words.

Best regards to you, my friend,

Ron - Lisztener

#1054222 - 01/10/09 10:27 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Alright Guys, after trying to expand my rep, I realized I have no Liszt... althought I've tinkered with some stuff, I've never learned a piece to performance standards.

Anyone have suggestions on a first Liszt piece?

Matt

#1054223 - 01/10/09 10:47 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Consolations are usually considered easiest Liszt pieces (#3 is often first Liszt piece leaned). The etudes (1st version, "Etude in 12 Exercises") is a reasonable place to start, but not a performance piece. TE1 is reasonably simple, and is very short.
TE3 is also reasonably simple, and IMHO, one of the more melodic and loved Liszt pieces... With your technique you should be able to bring any of these to performance standards. Have you asked at PC?

#1054224 - 01/10/09 11:04 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I asked once about standard rep. for my level, and got answers like "just ask your teacher" but I agree with one of them telling me that I should wait on Chopin etudes for moment. I totally agree with that, but I'm sure there's some Liszt out there for me... somewhere... \:D

Matt

#1054225 - 01/10/09 11:21 AM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Dear Lisztener,

I hope you are well and I am so sorry about your brother's death. Your words honor him. Having lost a close friend this past year, I found great comfort in music, and as you know, the Pensees des Morts is very dear to me and gave great comfort (albeit it also unleashed floods of tears). Liszt himself was no stranger to tragedy, having lost two of his children when they were young adults. The man could evoke emotion as few others could through music.

Sophia

#1054226 - 01/20/09 09:20 PM Re: ABF Liszt Devotees Society
Beethoven Fan Offline

hey debussy20, sorry if i'm late but another lovely piece you could look into is the nocturne En Reve. Its not technically challenging and with a good interpretation it can sound absolutely beautiful. I believe it's one of his later pieces so that can give you an idea as to the "style" it is or what not.

But I also would like to say that just yesterday I finished the 3rd and final volume in Alan Walker's biography on Franz Liszt and will be added to the list (pun intended) of people of who loved it and recommend it. I didn't realize how much sadness his life was filled with and especially his death. I nearly wanted to cry for him and help him out myself. I will probably pick these books up again as they were that interesting. Anyhow with the new year started, hopefully I can expand my Liszt repertoire.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Inside out piano
by spanishbuddha
11/21/14 02:01 PM
Five Pianos and One Decision
by Batuhan
11/21/14 01:25 PM
Music on iPad
by Oklabecca
11/21/14 12:50 PM
questions about tuning the top octave
by musicalman
11/21/14 11:50 AM
Resources for Preparing for the Tuning and Technical Exam
by pgmitch
11/21/14 10:48 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission