2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I would appreciate suggestions regarding the best editions for beginners of Bach's Notebook for Anna Magalena Bach, as well as his WTC. Many thanks.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Schirmer has a couple of sheet music books called "First Lessons in Bach (Book I, II)" containing some easier and short pieces from AM.Bach notebook, French/English suite or partitas. they are good books to start with a lot of variety on technique emphasis. the good thing about these 2 books is that there are editor fingerings marked on every piece, which is very helpful for beginners.

i have Dover edition of WTC, a good cheaper edition but with no fingering marks at all.

OP Offline
Thanks Signa

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I also have the Dover edition. It is very good. One of the problems with it, though, aside from the lack of fingerings, is that each prelude or fugue (except for the prelude in C from book 1) is crammed onto two pages. I actually downloaded a photocopy from the Schirmer edition for one of the fugues, because the print in the Dover edition was too small for me (the Schirmer edition had that particular fugue on 4 pages, rather than the 2 in Dover)

I would still recommend this edition (books 1 and 2), and the summary on the back of the book is very interesting.

Sam
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i like my WTC dover edition, because i always make my own fingerings anyway. but for fugues, it could be difficult because i have never played any fugue yet and don't really know how the best fingering goes for a fugue. i checked the version at 'sheetmusicarchive.net' for fugue no.2 which has fingering marked on it. i need at least some fingering reference for my first try.

i always like the compact sheet music pages because a piece would have less pages to turn. i am not crazy about any larger print edition at all.

I really like the Alfred Masterworks editions of 2/3 Part Inventions and the French Suites (lots of explanatory notes and historical information), so I'd seriously consider them for WTC and Anna Magdalena. My son (10 y.o.) is currently working from Alfred's "First lessons in Bach" which I believe is made up of pieces from Anna Magdalena and WTC.

OP Offline
Thanks for the responses everybody. The Alfred Masterworks sounds interesting due to the extra stuff. I'll check all of these out.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission