Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1055008 - 01/10/05 12:34 PM New to forum: Greetings
ThomasBecket Offline

Hello everyone:

I just wanted to say hi. I am 33 and a newbie to this forum, and have just returned to learning the piano. I was self taught back in high school and early college for a few years. I had to quit because engineering school was so demanding. Back then I played a Yamaha synthesizer (with ridiculously small keys, now that I look at it!). Now, almost 12 years later, I am back at it. I recently used my Christmas bonus to purchase a Yamaha DGX-293. I figured that I would be fine for now, and the next step would be to buy a digital piano, if I advance enough.

Right now, I am learning simple Bach pieces. I have a book called "First Lessons in Bach". It seems to be right at my level, since I already know music theory somewhat and can read music. I also am starting the Alfred Adult All-In-One course as well (level 1). That book seems a little boring right now, but I am going through it just to make sure I don't leave anything out. I didn't want to start with level 2 and be missing something.

I am interested to converse with people who are at or near the same level I am at, to see what other people are doing. I would say the biggest problem I have is what I call "brain stalls" - that is where I am practicing along and when the music changes to another section, it takes my brain a bit of time to switch gears and be ready to play it. I am thinking that it has to do with the way I learn the phrases - perhaps if I learned them along with a few notes from the surrounding phrases, I could play through them much smoother.

Anyway, happy to have found this forum

Thomas

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1055009 - 01/10/05 12:44 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Hi Thomas,
You might want to take some time and peruse this forum. There's a lot of good information and discussion and you can get a sense of where lots of us are in our "studies" or experience. I'm definitely on the lower end, being a piano restarter after not having played very much to begin with. I have some other music experience, though, so that definitely helps.

If you want to know who on this forum is credible and who is just way out there, let me know. ;\) Actually, it's a really good group and has been very helpful for us adult beginners. And the good news for you is, you're the second-youngest person who has admitted their age in the Respect Your Elders thread. Feel free to add your name to the list!

Welcome!

#1055010 - 01/10/05 01:05 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Welcome, welcome!

Come on in, the water's fine.

If there were water. If you know what I mean. It's a figure of speech. Oh, never mind. \:\)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#1055011 - 01/10/05 01:09 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
My husband gave me "First Lessons in Bach" for Christmas, it's just about right for me. And my piano teacher said it's a very good book, so it got her seal of approval. We also talked about what you're talking about, when the music changes, she has me work on pieces in sections and then put it all together. You can get a lot of good info on this forum, it's helped me a lot.

#1055012 - 01/10/05 01:13 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
Welcome ThomasBecket! Enjoy!

tk

#1055013 - 01/10/05 01:48 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ossk8ter Offline

Loc: Dallas
Welcome, I don't think there are any Henry IIs hanging around. Since you are a former student you are ahead of me. My teacher has started me off using Faber's "Adult Piano Adventures." My first lesson was last week, but I have been using Humphries "Piano Handbook" since about three weeks before my first lesson. I'm working on Bach's Minuet in G along with the assigned stuff from Faber. I've been working hard to think in terms of progressions as opposed to notes.

#1055014 - 01/10/05 01:52 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wasn't Thomas Becket the Archbishop of Canterbury? I assume that's ossk8ter's Henry II reference.

BTW, I'm in Faber also. It seems like several of us around here are using that method.

#1055015 - 01/10/05 01:57 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ThomasBecket Offline

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I am not the only one bored at work today! That reminds me, I have a question that is work related. I work as an engineer/software programmer. I type all day long. Thinking back, before I could type, I remember playing with both hands was hard for me to do. Now, coming back to the piano, it doesn't seem as hard. Still hard, but not as hard. Do you think learning to type has helped me play better piano?

#1055016 - 01/10/05 02:00 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maybe it helped you, but it hasn't helped me! ;\)

#1055017 - 01/10/05 02:04 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ossk8ter Offline

Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry.

Hey, I was at the office almost all weekend. Typing has not helped my piano playing since I don't type with fingers four and five (although I might start), so they are weak.

#1055018 - 01/10/05 02:12 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry."

Woo hoo! Score one for public education!

#1055019 - 01/10/05 02:15 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ossk8ter Offline

even though I was a private school brat.

#1055020 - 01/10/05 02:52 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ThomasBecket Offline

Yes, I am the Archbishop.

So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?

#1055021 - 01/10/05 04:31 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils? [/b]

Welcome Your Excellency!

I know what you mean about feeling a bit silly but the first teacher I had also was teaching my wife who in turn signed me up. She had 4 adult students out of about 15. I really liked her a lot but felt she didn't challenge or critique me enough. I got another teacher about 6 months into lessons. The vast majority of his students, 75 private students if you can imagine, are young from 5 - 18. He has several adult students but I don't know how many. He really loves the diversity and individuality of each.

I would check with the teacher first and see if they accept adults. Most I expect would welcome adults as they are generally committed to learn. Interestingly enough my teacher and I spend at least 15 minutes after the lesson talking about music. I feel as though he is as much a friend as a teacher.

#1055022 - 01/10/05 04:42 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Welcome, Thomas.

I'm 38, been learning for 10 months, self-taught (so far). I'm using the Alfred's Adult All-In-One Piano Course.

This forum is unbelievably helpful. (Now, the Coffee Room, well, that's another story...)

[Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.]

#1055023 - 01/10/05 05:25 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads!

#1055024 - 01/10/05 05:47 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
crikkit Offline

Loc: Spring, Texas
"So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?"

I just started lessons myself last week. I'm 31, and about 1/3 of my teacher's students are adults. The only two students I've met when I arrived for lessons were both older than me. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable taking lessons from someone who had never taughts adults. Just ask. Good luck!

#1055025 - 01/10/05 06:23 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Hen3ry Offline

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Thomas,

I'm 46 - been taking lessons for 3 years - you get over the "looking stupid" pretty quick. Now, last week - I carried my digital piano into work so I could practice at work ...

Anyway, I'm an Engineer by trade as well (Electronics/Software, yaddy, ya ...) I still can't type ... I'm finally learning to play piano with two hands, does that mean I could learn to type?

I'm also working through "First Lessons in Bach". My teacher "ran" me through it some time ago - now I'm trying to learn to "play" it. We'll see.

Anyway, welcome!

Kevin

#1055026 - 01/10/05 07:04 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markb:
Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads! [/b]
Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.

(It doesn't mean I don't care.) In fact, caring means never having to say you're sorry.

#1055027 - 01/10/05 07:13 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
ThomasBecket,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of us adult beginners out there taking lessons so don't feel stupid. We're actually more motivated to learn since no one is forcing us to learn, and the only one with high expectations is ourselves (in my case, anyway).

#1055028 - 01/10/05 07:40 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
ThomasBecket Offline

Ok, so if I can get over feeling stupid for being an adult, I also mentioned I have a yamaha DGX-203 keyboard and not a digital piano. I was eyeing the digital pianos, but I thought it was too much of a risk if I back-slid and stopped practicing. So, will most piano teachers frown on that?

Also, do most instructors want you to go to instruction weekley? I already go to choir practice weekley, and that's a two hour deal, I just don't know if I have the time for weekly piano lessons.

#1055029 - 01/10/05 09:03 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasBecket:
Ok, so if I can get over feeling stupid for being an adult, I also mentioned I have a yamaha DGX-203 keyboard and not a digital piano. [/b]
I have a Yamaha EZ-30, 61-key (5 octave) keyboard. I turn the 'touch response' on, and the lighted keys off. It is PERFECT for cutting my teeth. Once I feel like I have progressed beyond it (don't know when that will be) I will consider a digital piano. (Got to get the kids out of the house first, in order to afford it.) \:\)

#1055030 - 01/10/05 09:09 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
welcome! 'First Lessons in Bach' is definitely a good start. as to your keyboard, it would cause you some trouble because it has keys without weight so that the key feel will be totally different. if you have to play on your teacher's piano, you can tell that immediately. if your keyboard does have a 'touch sensitive' button, then be sure to turn it on every time you practice which at least will make your transition from a keyboard to a piano easier. it is not impossible to start from a keyboard (just as i did), but as you progress you will definitely need a piano (acoustic/digital) later.

#1055031 - 01/11/05 06:28 AM Re: New to forum: Greetings
crikkit Offline

Loc: Spring, Texas
If you decide you've outgrown the keyboard later and still aren't ready to make the jump to buying a piano, you can consider renting an accoustic piano also.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (AndrewJCW, bgiles, a-z0-9, bennevis, Baudelaire, 19 invisible), 1188 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156244 Topics
2294636 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
9 minutes 47 seconds ago
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission