Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1055042 - 07/29/04 09:43 AM best way to play/fingering
nan Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Learning piano this late in life, I realize my fingers are not as dexterous/strong as a child's. I'm wondering -- is it better to have your fingers curled when playing or is hitting the key with a straight finger just as good? I do mostly the latter, but notice my 5th finger (little finger) is still very weak (after three years practicing) especially on the black keys. So I am wondering if I tried curling my fingers more would that be better? During summer I don't have a teacher -- but she hasn't really said much about this before. Any advice?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1055043 - 07/29/04 10:08 AM Re: best way to play/fingering
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Actually, what you want is a grip on each key. To demonstrate this, first determine the relaxed position of your hand by letting it dangle by your side. You will notice that your fingers are curved in an arc. Rest your hand in this position on a table. With the rest of the hand still relaxed, extend your index finger straight up and out. Now sweep the extended finger down, making sure the first joint of the finger does not collapse when your fingertip makes contact with the table. You can even exagerate by sweeping down such that your fingertip curls under at the end of the motion.

If you do this properly, you will notice that your fingertip is exerting a slight grip as it contacts the table. If you can grip all your notes this way (with wrist and arm relaxed at the same time), you will develop a rich tone (vs. a weak one). The grip should always be there whether your fingers are flat or curved. Flatter fingers produce a different tone from curved fingers; Debussy sounds good with flat fingers while Bach benefits from curved fingers.

To build strength in individual fingers, you need to practise first by sweeping down until your fingers are more curved because this is more difficult to achieve that the flat-fingered version. You also need to practise your weak fingers on their own. There are exercises written for such purposes, most notable Pischna and Schmitt. You can make up your own exercise for your pinkie by holding down all the other fingers on the keyboard and just using your pinkie to play a single note over and over again. E.g. hold down C-D-E-F with fingers 1-2-3-4 on the right hand and then play G over and over again with 5 (pinkie).

If you have a weak pinkie, you probably also have a weak ring finger, although you might not realize it. You can also try the above exercise, i.e. hold down 1,2,3,5 and play just using 4. It is highly likely that the sound produced in this manner would be weak.

I have been practising my 4 and 5 for the past 3 years this way and while they have improved tremenously, I still have to be careful to produce an even tone across the scale when it comes to 4 and 5.

#1055044 - 07/29/04 02:25 PM Re: best way to play/fingering
nan Offline

Thanks for the very detailed advice and I will certainly be using it. I definitely need to build up strength in 4 and 5th fingers. I was wondering how to get more control and the gripping action you mention sounds right.

#1055045 - 07/29/04 04:48 PM Re: best way to play/fingering
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
practicing trills with 4th and 5th fingers only (on both hands) will help a lot, especially when you also hold your thumb down at the same time.

#1055046 - 07/30/04 09:35 AM Re: best way to play/fingering
nan Offline

I am trying to curve my fingers more and grip and already notice it is different and helps me when playing Beethoven's Ecossaise. And just trying your suggestion Signa makes me realize my fingers are so weak! Not an easy exercise. Well, that will be my challenge for the future -- finger exercises. Thanks for the tips.

#1055047 - 07/30/04 10:28 AM Re: best way to play/fingering
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nan, glad to know that you are improving in your technique. I have also practised the 4-5 trills extensively myself. To really get a good workout, hold down 1-2-3 and do the 4-5 trills. You will probably find that you can hardly lift your 4. But it is necessary to develop a larger range of motion for 4 in order to get a nice sweeping motion and the grip at the end. Make sure that your wrist, arm, elbow, shoulders, neck should all be relaxed, so that you are not relying on any other part of the body to play the 4-5.

#1055048 - 07/30/04 11:28 AM Re: best way to play/fingering
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
another thing to remember is to never avoid using your weakest fingers in your fingering of any piece. many beginners tend to use their strongest fingers (1,2,3) more than the weakest(4,5) when playing. so, use 4,5 fingers as much as possible which over the time will improve things for you.

#1055049 - 07/30/04 01:25 PM Re: best way to play/fingering
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by signa:
another thing to remember is to never avoid using your weakest fingers in your fingering of any piece. [/b]
I second this. However, I found there is merit in avoiding using these fingers when one is giving a performance and needs full control and eveness in tone. I am preparing for a performance diploma examination next year and while I started out learning my pieces with the most "natural" fingering, including 4 and 5, I have come to the conclusion that in the remaining months I have until the exam, it would be impossible for me to work these fingers up to the level I want. So in order to use my practice time more effectively (e.g. memorizing) and to ensure a secure performance, I have been using 3-5 instead of 4-5 in scale passages, for example. After all, at the exam as in all performances, it is the aural effect that counts, not which fingers I use!

But I reiterate my stand that one *must* practice their weak fingers diligently, so maybe they would not have to resort to my tactics.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
09/20/14 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
09/20/14 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (Abby Pianoman, aesop, AB99, acortot, A Guy, 41 invisible), 1254 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157640 Topics
2315485 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission