Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1055082 - 09/05/06 08:32 PM If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Dear Members...If you were Mozart right now and heard someone play your very favorite piano composition that you composed yourself... not as you intended... but... with their own creative style...Would you be offended or pleased? Sandy B

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1055083 - 09/05/06 09:10 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Mozart probably wouldn't mind. Chopin would be gritting his teeth.

#1055084 - 09/06/06 10:29 AM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Frycek:

Remember when one of Chopin's students was playing a certain Chopin composition.

When the student finished, Chopin said something like: "Well, I wouldn't have played it that way, but you should play it as you feel it."

This one sentence is the only thing that keeps me going when learning/playing Chopin. I don't always pay attention to the tempo, or the other markings. But I do play attention to how I sense the music should sound...to that inner voice. \:\)

Yeah, Chopin probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I hope he will understand and not throw anything at me.

As far as Mozart... I couldn't care less. ;\)

Kathleen

#1055085 - 09/06/06 10:46 AM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
I would hope that any genius would appreciate any attempt by a novice to understand music beyond his/her abilities or talent. They may point out areas where the student is missing the musical point, but I think everyone, including genuises, would accept and enjoy the efforts of others to reach and broaden understanding.

Now, those who play with authority and arrogance, all bets are off. To say "this is my best effort" is much different than "this is how it should be". I fear there would be no tolerance with those who profess to know.

I believe most composers would say "take this and make it your own, but remember, it is mine in the end".

#1055086 - 09/06/06 11:05 AM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I find it really interesting how the music world seems to have a double standard when it comes to this issue. In the realm of, what might be called, "non serious" music, it is actually a tribute to the original composer to perform their composition in a way never even imagined by them. A great example would be Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles "A Little Help from My Friends". How many people have performed Burt Bacharach's music over the years in totally different styles. Jazz Albums abound around Christmas time with "jazzed up" versions of the holiday classics by people like Dave Grusin and Kenny G. In all these examples, all the praise is heaped upon the performer for their "genius" and originality of interpretation. So why so diifferent with Classical music, might I ask? Are the Beatles any less geniuses, in their own realm, as Mozart was in his? If not, why is it an afront to one and not the other? Understand here, I AM NOT, trying to compare popular music to classical in any other way than how it relates to this particular subject. Maybe the answer lies in the number of tighta**es and snobs that pervade one over the other? Just a provoking thought on my part.

#1055087 - 09/06/06 11:14 AM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

i dont know mozart, but changing a style of a song lets say taking classical and turning it into jazz i think is wrong. the composer wrote it one way, and yes that song can be played and defined in many ways and played as you define it, BUT to change a songs style to another style i think is an abhoration(is that a word). i dont know the great classical artists well enough from reading what i have so far. if someone feels they need to change it to jazz to experience their artistic creative side, why dont they just create their own jazz song, and not chop up someone elses piece. i did play fur elise boogie and quickly threw it out as it wasnt art form, it lost something in the transformation that should have been there. so i believe you play a song or piece as you percieve it to be and with your own musical touch, but to change the style of it, not for me.

#1055088 - 09/06/06 11:15 AM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'm guessing it probably depends on the composer. Who's to say. But in those days didn't many composers, Mozart included, add a cadenza for the performer to "jam" on? That to me would imply a certain looseness concerning interpretation.

As far as Chopin goes, there is that famous quote about Liszt playing one of Chopin's Etudes. Chopin loved the way he did it implying that it was better than he could do. That certainly opens the door for allowing other's interpretations of Chopin's music.

#1055089 - 09/06/06 12:01 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
 Quote:
Kenny G
That is assuming you consider anything there to be actual "music"....

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1055090 - 09/06/06 12:02 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Funburger,
I am definitely not advocating playing classical music as jazz, but, rather, an acceptance of a certain degree of deviation from the original timing or flow, say, adding rubato where there is no call for it in the score, as an example.

#1055091 - 09/06/06 12:11 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
rockpeter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal Canada
Hey if Mozart or Chopin or Beethoven didn't want us to deviate from the original they should've recorded their pieces...... \:\)

Peter has left the building......

Peter

#1055092 - 09/06/06 12:17 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Heck, I'd be pleased if anyone played anything musically I created in any style they want. I'd be flattered.

#1055093 - 09/06/06 12:20 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Mozart, like other composers, wrote variations on other people's works. Why would they not expect others to do that to their music?

#1055094 - 09/06/06 12:37 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Thank all of you so much for all your posts...I learn from all of you...I would love to hear some of you play...I have no speakers now for several months...Hopefully soon..Grandma Sandy B

#1055095 - 09/06/06 12:43 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
If you check out the "Let's Ask David Nevue a Lot of Questions" thread, you'll see that somebody asked him that very question: How does it make him feel to hear others perform his work? His reply, as I recall, was very politely phrased but indicated that it took him off guard, because people inevitably play it differently than he does, and he has a template in his mind regarding how it's supposed to sound...

But in the final analysis, musicians want their work to be heard and performed, so at least on one level I imagine it would make them feel good... or at least better than the alternative of nobody performing it at all. ;\)

#1055096 - 09/06/06 01:04 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockpeter:
Hey if Mozart or Chopin or Beethoven didn't want us to deviate from the original they should've recorded their pieces...... \:\)

Peter has left the building......

Peter [/b]
Damn right!! \:D

#1055097 - 09/06/06 01:41 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:

As far as Chopin goes, there is that famous quote about Liszt playing one of Chopin's Etudes. Chopin loved the way he did it implying that it was better than he could do. That certainly opens the door for allowing other's interpretations of Chopin's music. [/b]
Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it."

#1055098 - 09/06/06 01:46 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
 Quote:

As far as Chopin goes, there is that famous quote about Liszt playing one of Chopin's Etudes. Chopin loved the way he did it implying that it was better than he could do. That certainly opens the door for allowing other's interpretations of Chopin's music. [/b]
Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it." [/b]
Well gosh, he should have just made up his mind! \:D

#1055099 - 09/06/06 01:50 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Frycek:

Remember when one of Chopin's students was playing a certain Chopin composition.

When the student finished, Chopin said something like: "Well, I wouldn't have played it that way, but you should play it as you feel it."

This one sentence is the only thing that keeps me going when learning/playing Chopin. I don't
always pay attention to the tempo, or the other markings. But I do play attention to how I sense the music should sound...to that inner voice. \:\)

Yeah, Chopin probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I hope he will understand and not throw anything at me.

As far as Mozart... I couldn't care less. ;\)

Kathleen [/b]
I have a feeling most of Chopin's irritation at having his pieces messed about with was directed at virtuosi in concert who were trying to put their marks on his compositions. I imagine that toward a kindred spirit playing from the heart he would've been more indulgent.

#1055100 - 09/06/06 01:53 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
 Quote:

Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it." [/b]
Well gosh, he should have just made up his mind! \:D [/b]
When Chopin praised Liszt he was admiring his technique but he got irritated at Liszt when he started to embellish one of them during a salon performance.

#1055101 - 09/06/06 02:21 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if i were Mozart, i would mind if someone else changes my genius composition into craps. of course, i would mind.

if you change a Mozart's composition by creating your own, i.e. using Mozart's theme but adding your own variations, then it doesn't matter because it's your composition not Mozart's. you can do all your creative composing as you want, but just don't call it as if it's still Mozart's but call it your own arrangement, or transcription or your improvisation.

#1055102 - 09/06/06 02:25 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

signa, you said it like a pro:)

that is exactly what my teacher said!!!!

#1055103 - 09/06/06 02:29 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
oh, thanks, and i think we're in agreement on this!

#1055104 - 09/06/06 02:34 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
- Firstly, both Mozart and Chopin would probably be thrilled that their music is still being played 200+ and 150+ respectively - years after it was written.

- Secondly, as far as Chopin criticizing Liszt and others for their interpretation of his music: we don't really know what liberties they were taking with his music, so we don't know what he was criticizing.

- Also, the "stylistic" playing of piano music in Mozart's time is very different than the playing today - from articulation, pedalling, improvisation, etc.

#1055105 - 09/06/06 02:39 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
if I were Mozart, i would indeed be pleased.

as to the question, i'd be delighted to hear anyone play upon my pieces, even a child just learning.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1055106 - 09/06/06 02:54 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I can only imagine this...

but if the classical composers only knew that their music was so loved and treasured that it is still being played by thousands of artists over 200 years later, around the world, to packed audiences...

That, to me, would be humbling.

As a retired teacher, I often wonder if I affected the life or way of thinking of just one of the thousands of students I taught.

If only one...all those years of work would have been well worth it.

And Chopin admired the way Liszt played his etudes because Liszt had a powerful touch, whereas Chopin did not. Not that he couldn't play loud. He could and did. But basically his touch was on the lighter side.

However, he was NOT happy when Liszt changed his music.

Kathleen

#1055107 - 09/06/06 02:56 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
if I were Mozart, i would indeed be pleased.

as to the question, i'd be delighted to hear anyone play upon my pieces, even a child just learning. [/b]
If you were Mozart, you would indeed be dead. ;\)

#1055108 - 09/06/06 03:03 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
apple* Offline

no less dead than Chopin.

#1055109 - 09/06/06 03:09 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
no less dead than Chopin. [/b]
Hey, we could start a Dead Composers' Society.

#1055110 - 09/06/06 03:19 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
apple* Offline

dibbies on Bach

#1055111 - 09/06/06 03:35 PM Re: If you were Mozart would you be pleased.?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Personally I like to think of composers being much more embracing of other's attempts. I always liked that story of Chopin gushing over Liszt's playing of the Chopin Etude. It showed a certain amount of humility. That is one thing (from the biographies I have read) that I admire about Liszt. He had a huge ego but seemed very embracing of others. From all the countless transcriptions he did of other's works to the founding of the artists retreat at Weimar (?) he struck me as someone that just loved music.

That all said, I'm guessing he would be happy with folks taking liberties with his works. Of course...he would also probably be thinking they could NEVER do it as well as he. \:D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Atrys, Alex1, AmateurBob, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 33 invisible), 1958 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156069 Topics
2291810 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
28 minutes 58 seconds ago
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
45 minutes 37 seconds ago
And what about this one?
by leel
Today at 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
Today at 04:20 PM
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
Today at 03:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission