2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Dear Members...If you were Mozart right now and heard someone play your very favorite piano composition that you composed yourself... not as you intended... but... with their own creative style...Would you be offended or pleased? Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mozart probably wouldn't mind. Chopin would be gritting his teeth.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Frycek:

Remember when one of Chopin's students was playing a certain Chopin composition.

When the student finished, Chopin said something like: "Well, I wouldn't have played it that way, but you should play it as you feel it."

This one sentence is the only thing that keeps me going when learning/playing Chopin. I don't always pay attention to the tempo, or the other markings. But I do play attention to how I sense the music should sound...to that inner voice. smile

Yeah, Chopin probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I hope he will understand and not throw anything at me. eek

As far as Mozart... I couldn't care less. wink

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I would hope that any genius would appreciate any attempt by a novice to understand music beyond his/her abilities or talent. They may point out areas where the student is missing the musical point, but I think everyone, including genuises, would accept and enjoy the efforts of others to reach and broaden understanding.

Now, those who play with authority and arrogance, all bets are off. To say "this is my best effort" is much different than "this is how it should be". I fear there would be no tolerance with those who profess to know.

I believe most composers would say "take this and make it your own, but remember, it is mine in the end".

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I find it really interesting how the music world seems to have a double standard when it comes to this issue. In the realm of, what might be called, "non serious" music, it is actually a tribute to the original composer to perform their composition in a way never even imagined by them. A great example would be Joe Cocker's version of the Beatles "A Little Help from My Friends". How many people have performed Burt Bacharach's music over the years in totally different styles. Jazz Albums abound around Christmas time with "jazzed up" versions of the holiday classics by people like Dave Grusin and Kenny G. In all these examples, all the praise is heaped upon the performer for their "genius" and originality of interpretation. So why so diifferent with Classical music, might I ask? Are the Beatles any less geniuses, in their own realm, as Mozart was in his? If not, why is it an afront to one and not the other? Understand here, I AM NOT, trying to compare popular music to classical in any other way than how it relates to this particular subject. Maybe the answer lies in the number of tighta**es and snobs that pervade one over the other? Just a provoking thought on my part.

Piano Technician/Tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i dont know mozart, but changing a style of a song lets say taking classical and turning it into jazz i think is wrong. the composer wrote it one way, and yes that song can be played and defined in many ways and played as you define it, BUT to change a songs style to another style i think is an abhoration(is that a word). i dont know the great classical artists well enough from reading what i have so far. if someone feels they need to change it to jazz to experience their artistic creative side, why dont they just create their own jazz song, and not chop up someone elses piece. i did play fur elise boogie and quickly threw it out as it wasnt art form, it lost something in the transformation that should have been there. so i believe you play a song or piece as you percieve it to be and with your own musical touch, but to change the style of it, not for me.

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing it probably depends on the composer. Who's to say. But in those days didn't many composers, Mozart included, add a cadenza for the performer to "jam" on? That to me would imply a certain looseness concerning interpretation.

As far as Chopin goes, there is that famous quote about Liszt playing one of Chopin's Etudes. Chopin loved the way he did it implying that it was better than he could do. That certainly opens the door for allowing other's interpretations of Chopin's music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kenny G
That is assuming you consider anything there to be actual "music"....

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Funburger,
I am definitely not advocating playing classical music as jazz, but, rather, an acceptance of a certain degree of deviation from the original timing or flow, say, adding rubato where there is no call for it in the score, as an example.

Piano Technician/Tuner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey if Mozart or Chopin or Beethoven didn't want us to deviate from the original they should've recorded their pieces...... smile

Peter has left the building......

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Heck, I'd be pleased if anyone played anything musically I created in any style they want. I'd be flattered.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Mozart, like other composers, wrote variations on other people's works. Why would they not expect others to do that to their music?

Semipro Tech
193866 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank all of you so much for all your posts...I learn from all of you...I would love to hear some of you play...I have no speakers now for several months...Hopefully soon..Grandma Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
If you check out the "Let's Ask David Nevue a Lot of Questions" thread, you'll see that somebody asked him that very question: How does it make him feel to hear others perform his work? His reply, as I recall, was very politely phrased but indicated that it took him off guard, because people inevitably play it differently than he does, and he has a template in his mind regarding how it's supposed to sound...

But in the final analysis, musicians want their work to be heard and performed, so at least on one level I imagine it would make them feel good... or at least better than the alternative of nobody performing it at all. wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rockpeter:
Hey if Mozart or Chopin or Beethoven didn't want us to deviate from the original they should've recorded their pieces...... smile

Peter has left the building......

Peter
Damn right!! laugh

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Peyton:

As far as Chopin goes, there is that famous quote about Liszt playing one of Chopin's Etudes. Chopin loved the way he did it implying that it was better than he could do. That certainly opens the door for allowing other's interpretations of Chopin's music.
Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it."

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
[b]
Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it." [/b]
Well gosh, he should have just made up his mind! laugh

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Frycek:

Remember when one of Chopin's students was playing a certain Chopin composition.

When the student finished, Chopin said something like: "Well, I wouldn't have played it that way, but you should play it as you feel it."

This one sentence is the only thing that keeps me going when learning/playing Chopin. I don't
always pay attention to the tempo, or the other markings. But I do play attention to how I sense the music should sound...to that inner voice. smile

Yeah, Chopin probably wouldn't be too happy about it. But I hope he will understand and not throw anything at me. eek

As far as Mozart... I couldn't care less. wink

Kathleen
I have a feeling most of Chopin's irritation at having his pieces messed about with was directed at virtuosi in concert who were trying to put their marks on his compositions. I imagine that toward a kindred spirit playing from the heart he would've been more indulgent.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
[b]
[b]
Then there's the other famous quote, Chopin to Lizst, something to the effect of, "if you're going to play it, play it the way I wrote it." [/b]
Well gosh, he should have just made up his mind! laugh [/b]
When Chopin praised Liszt he was admiring his technique but he got irritated at Liszt when he started to embellish one of them during a salon performance.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if i were Mozart, i would mind if someone else changes my genius composition into craps. of course, i would mind.

if you change a Mozart's composition by creating your own, i.e. using Mozart's theme but adding your own variations, then it doesn't matter because it's your composition not Mozart's. you can do all your creative composing as you want, but just don't call it as if it's still Mozart's but call it your own arrangement, or transcription or your improvisation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission