Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1055350 - 02/26/06 04:07 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Hunkster

I agree with Balladeer, it is the measure of a man who can admit his mistakes and for that I fully accept your apology...and sure we're still good friends \:D .

Hunky, you don't need to prove to me how easy it is to pull an arrangement out of a fake book, I know only too well (I messed around with them for a year myself remember and can do the same, so can hundreds maybe thousands? of pro pianists all over the world)

The fact that you worked your method all out by yourself is what amazes me, and I have told you many times I love your style. The thing is now for you to grow with a little help and encouragement from your friends \:\)

When I first came to these forums, I was looking for advice on purchasing my CLP170 and then found myself in the ABF and to be honest quite upset to see the struggle some people were having with piano lessons in contrast to the life changing fun I was having.

So, I yakked about it and got into like a huge argument (which was never my intent). So I decided when the time was right I would let my music do the talking for me. people can listen and make there own minds up.

I remember the torture of my piano lessons when I was a child...but, now I am having more fun than ever and living my childhood dream. If I can just convince one person and change their life then my playing for everyone and the time it takes me to record it and share it has been worth every minute (IMHO)

I don't want to be a walking talking advert for pianomagic (honest)...I don't want to harp on about it all the time but, I suppose as people hear me play they are going to ask me questions and I can ony tell of my experiences...just as you can with yours.

People will listen to you and make their own minds up, you are showing people it is easier to play a piano than they think or than is taught by many (not all) and so am I.

Those that see it will seek their own way of fun, those that don't will pursue whatever it is they believe in too.

So, long as we all are having fun thats all that matters.

There is some great stuff going on here and you hunkster are the driving force...there is so much goodness and sharing in you that I can't help but, admire and like you.

Maybe between you and me we can make a billion people realize their dreams or maybe just one who knows?

onwards and upwards as friends \:D

best regards

Lee

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1055351 - 02/26/06 05:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
wolfindmist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: In a state full of Volcanoes
I finally got to here Phantom with some help from Lee. My computer is so slow that it took over half an hour to download it... but it was worth the wait. \:\)

I am very impressed with the recording.

I can't wait to hear what you will do when you "grow up" (your words, I think you sound pretty grown up on that recording btw.)There is plenty of expressiveness going on already in your playing on that file. You could take that rendition to a professional gig.

I hope you will consider sending in a recording of "All I Ask of You" and "Think of Me".

Thank you for sharing the music with us.
Again, my thanks to Lee for helping me to hear this recording.
:2hearts:
Bravo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Balladeer:
I think I have figured out how to to post this song (with a little help from my friends).... we'll see..

This is my interpretation of the "Phantom of the Opera" It may not be exactly what you are used to hearing, but some of you may find it interesting. I find Lloyd Webber songs to be very expressive, and when I grow up I would like to be able to deliver that expression.
http://www.savefile.com/files/2078092

Balladeer [/b]

#1055352 - 02/26/06 08:03 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi Wolfindmist -

Thank you for the kind praise. You may rest assured that there will be more Phantom pieces forthcoming. I am totally smitten with a number of tunes from that opera. I only first saw it this summer. I had no idea what I was missing. (We don't do a lot of opera here in the wheat fields of Kansas ;\) ) I saw the DVD version which I am told is pitiful compared to the real banana - but I loved it anyway. This is the kind of music that pushes my buttons. The emotional peaks many of the other Phantom songs are glorious, and I want to do them at least some justice before I toss them out there.

I am very happy you enjoyed Phantom. \:\)

Balladeer

#1055353 - 02/27/06 07:55 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
I am definitely not in the same league with the rest of y'all, but this is the "beginners" forum

::edit::

#1055354 - 02/27/06 08:19 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Euan (sorry I missed your post)

Quote:
Firstly, Lee - that was simply awesome! Another piece that kept me stunned for the entire duration. I love these mushy love songs!
Thankyou so much \:D

Quote:
p.s. is that song used on Classic Fm 'Your Song', I think its 12noon on a Sunday? That thing where they tell tales of love lost, and longing to get back together etc (sorry if you have no idea what I'm talking about!). It sounded familiar, thats all.
I remember it as Simon Bates "Our Tune" on radio 1...so I imagine its the same thing, and I agree it is rather a beautiful song and I just hope I did it justice?

thanks for listening and taking the time to post

regards

Lee \:\)

#1055355 - 02/27/06 08:42 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Rocky

Quote:
I am definitely not in the same league with the rest of y'all,
... oh, yes ya' are - we're all in the "we're having fun league!"

You did a nice job here, Rocky. You created and maintained a nice even flow throughout. There are a few spots in this song where a natural slowing is called for - the first at about 1:02. You did[/b] slow things up, and I would like to hear you slow it even more[/b] there and at about 2:08, 2:40. This would help create some good contrasts, and help the listener breathe.

Your playing is more impressive than you might think! \:D

Balladeer

#1055356 - 02/27/06 09:22 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments Balladeer. This was going to be the piece for the recital, but I decided there was "alot" of room for improvement yet!

Once again, I have enjoyed "everyone's" submission in the piano bar!!!

Lovin it!!!! \:D

#1055357 - 02/27/06 10:03 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravo Rocky!

Once again fearless and once again a delight to listen to \:\)

Nice steady block chords with an occassional mix of what sounded like slightly arpeggiated ones...made for a nice interesting listening mix.

Also a lovely flow without a hint of hesitation to my ears

I enjoyed listening to you, thanks

#1055358 - 02/27/06 10:13 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Rocky, I'm not familiar with that tune, but it sounded very nice. My suggestion would be to lighten up on the left hand, especially with the block chords. Unless you want to especially emphasis a particular beat in a measure, you want the left hand to be harmonious and not overpower the melody in the right.

#1055359 - 02/27/06 11:07 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Great song Rocky. You know I love all of Jim Brickmans songs.

If you are playing this song out of the book I think you are, there are a lot of great songs in it.

nice job on this one, try out "rememberence" or "lake eerie rainfall", both are also real nice.

#1055360 - 02/27/06 12:38 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the comments y'all ! Bob, I'm think I'm at the point that I'm still amazed my left hand will do anything at all, but I do realize I have trouble playing the left hand soft, especially when recording and trying to just hit the right notes! Mr. S-H, I think since I heard your version of Lake Eerie Rainfall before I ever tried to play it, that I will never be able to play the one in the book, yours sounds so much better!

#1055361 - 02/27/06 12:50 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Good job, rocky! I didn't hear all "those problems" you referred to.

...and I know what you mean about super-hunky's Lake Erie Rainfall spoiling the sheet music version.

#1055362 - 02/27/06 07:33 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I've agonized a long time over whether or not to post a piece here.

I'm 63 years old and took several years of classical piano when I was a teenager and loved it. After spending some years in the Navy and then raising a family I decided to get back into music. I've actually dabbled a little bit over the years but no real dedication.

About 4 or 5 years ago a friend introduced me to Fake Books and improvisation and it was like being set free. I no longer have to obsess over every little grace note and expression mark. I can just try to make music.

I have a grand piano but I played this piece of music on my Kurzweil Mk 10 Keyboard. It actually sounds harder than it is because I don't play arpeggios or anything else that don't fall under my fingers easily, I just do something else. The strings are compliments of the "Strings" pushbutton. There are a few glaring mistakes but it's the best take I could come up with.

http://www.savefile.com/files/9430285

#1055363 - 02/27/06 07:47 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
That was lovely!!!

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1055364 - 02/27/06 08:13 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Very nice. I'm not sure why you were agonizing though.

Quote:
it was like being set free.
Yep, Super-Hunky can vouch for that as well.

#1055365 - 02/27/06 08:14 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

WOW Roger that was incredible!. where are all these people comming from?? The land of hidden talent??

Roger, how can you possibly play so many notes like that? It sounded like three of four people were playing all together but each was given their own octave to play.

Once again...WOW. really impressive!

Now, teach me how to do that. Are you doing kind of a drum roll with your fingers on the keys?; like using your pinky, index and thumb but just alternating them very quickly?

I've just got to learn how to do that. it sounded like the music played in heaven!

#1055366 - 02/27/06 08:22 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh yea Roger , one more thing .I really can relate to the comment you made about being "set free".

Actually, many of us can relate to that.

I don't just play fakebook style, I even cheat at that by only playing some of the notes written.

I am a huge fan of improvising (or playing by ear) as there is no other way to describe it other than being "set free" as you say..... a perfect quote!

My style of playing is sort of playing by ear (only with training wheels on) as I still use the writen score to act as my "guide".

Your style really sounds improvised, have you considered or are you familiar with the Piano magic method or some of the students? They all have a very full and rich sound like you do. You may be the perfect student for them..... look into it.

#1055367 - 02/27/06 08:39 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hello, Roger

I think the best thing about this is that YOU are having fun and you can't hide it! \:\) I was duly impressed ... and more importantly entertained. \:\) When your audience senses that you are relaxed and enjoying yourself, it is easier for them to enjoy.

It is clear that you are playing from a combination of ear/memory, and the freedom it is giving you shows in the delivery.

I would be interested in your arpeggiation technique if you are willing to share that. Your sound is somewhat akin to Emile Pandolfi - one of my favorites.

A great treat for us, and please do not hesitate or agonize in the future!

Balladeer

#1055368 - 02/27/06 08:42 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the kind words.

Like I said, it's actually easier than it sounds. I don't know if this will make any sense or not. It's easier to do than to describe. An example might be:

In C - roll the C E G with the left had, and immediately the next C E G C with the right, then immediately move both hands up just one octave so the left hand is now playing the same notes the right hand just played and just keep going. Practice until you can do it real smooth. You can move the left hand up while the right hand is playing so it's ready as soon as the right hand is done. It's very easy and sounds impressive. You can roll both hands in both direction while you're doing this and you end up playing a lot of notes.

I have not heard of Pianomagic but I will look at the web site.

#1055369 - 02/27/06 08:44 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ooops, I forgot just one more thing...sorry.

Roger, you ar 63 years old. That is WAY to old to be playing piano ! What is wrong with you?

Have'nt you read the posts of the 15 year old teenager who was asking if 15 is too old to learn to play piano??

You kind of squashed that thinking!!

#1055370 - 02/27/06 08:51 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Quote:
WOW Roger that was incredible!. where are all these people comming from?? The land of hidden talent??
... Mr S-H ... it is YOU you[/b] who has inspired them to come out and play!! ;\)

Balladeer

#1055371 - 02/27/06 08:57 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I did read the post from the kid asking if he was too old. At first I thought he was pulling our leg but I think he really thought that.

When I was first trying learn to play with Fake books I thought I was somehow 'cheating' but it suddenly occured to me that this is what all jazz musicians do (at a level far above me to be sure, but the principle is the same). Also the arrangers do the same thing, the only difference is that they write it down and sell it and we just play it and smile.

#1055372 - 02/27/06 09:02 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

HI again Roger,

.. so you are just playing a harp style arp using only basic triad tones up the keyboard? It also sounds like you are coming back down at least one octave. When you do that, are you keeping the same handshapes, or is an alternate technique involved?

I know sometimes it is more difficult to describe what you are doing than it is to just do it, and appreciate your responses.

Balladeer

#1055373 - 02/27/06 09:03 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Oh my gosh... FINALLY, I have someone on my side! I have been so lonely over here in "cheaters corner" ! HaHa. I like you Roger, want to come over my house and play some "cheat music" together?

#1055374 - 02/27/06 09:35 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Balladeer - it's just that simple, no fancy technique. Like I said, it sounds harder than it is. I don't tell 'regular' folks that it's a fairly easy thing to do. Just practice making it smooth and flowing and it not only sounds difficult but it's fun to do and feels good under my hands.

Mr. M-H - "Cheat Music" is fun and I'd be happy to.

I still dig out some of the old classics I learned years ago and try a few new ones but it takes way too much work to learn really hard stuff. There's a difference between practicing and playing. I just want to play.
Incidentally, it's true that you are the one that is giving us guts enought to try posting stuff. Before this I never really played for anyone except for a nursing home I did a sing-a-long for a few years ago.

No, I wasn't a patient there :-)

#1055375 - 02/27/06 09:52 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Online   blank

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
It's very easy and sounds impressive. You can roll both hands in both direction while you're doing this and you end up playing a lot of notes.[/b]
Wow, Roger! I just now listened to your piece, and I can see what everybody is raving about. Your music sounds very much like Raphael (new age artist) to me and in particular his "Disappearing Into You" album and song of the same name; it's full of the same kinds of rolling arpeggios.

But you're only half right: It does indeed sound very impressive. But I'm not acceding that it's easy! Yes, when you describe what you're doing, it makes sense, and if ALL you were doing was playing those rolling octaves, then you MIGHT be able to convince me that it was easy, even though I'd still have my doubts because of how fast and smoothly you're playing. But, and here's the clincher: How are you doing all that with both hands when you're ALSO carrying a melody with your right hand??? Explain THAT to me, bub! ;\)

Thank you for sharing with us, and I'm with Bob: there's no need to agonize. We're all just having fun and enjoying each other's playing. I'd post something new myself but somehow I messed up my audacity and it can't find lame any more so I have to reinstall everything. (If there was anybody who doubted my claims re: computer illiteracy, here is incontrovertible evidence.)

#1055376 - 02/27/06 11:13 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Wow, "In-con-tro-ver- tible" Am I the only one who had to clap this out to pronounce it?? ;\)

#1055377 - 02/27/06 11:16 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

BTW Monica, now that you mentioned it, it DOES seem like both hands are playing rolling arpeggios while another hand is playing the melody.....hmmm!!

Roger....come clean!!

#1055378 - 02/28/06 03:28 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi Roger - like all the other responses so far, I too was amazed by the piece. It really did sound sooo fantastic!! Well done

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
I've just got to learn how to do that. it sounded like the music played in heaven! [/b]
After reading your method of CEG - CEGC moving up the keyboard, that was the first thing I sat down and attempted today. You could say therefore that your playing was 'inspirational' to us!

Euan.

#1055379 - 02/28/06 06:40 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Roger

I have just enjoyed every second of your "Somewhere In Time"

Absolutely beautiful and stunning \:D

Are you Emile Pandolfi in disguise? \:D

Thankyou so much for posting and can you explain how you play that accompaniment, joking aside it is very similar to Emile Pandolfi (and balladeer and I love the way he plays \:\) )

Monica one of these days you are just going to have to believe ;\) ...playing piano is so much easier than many are taught and the tragedy is that so many pianos are not being played in homes all over the world (IMHO).

BTW Scott the piano guy teaches how to play from fake books and is most excellent at it...do a "google video search" on Scott and get heaps of his videos for...erm...free

regards

Edit - oops I've just read the responses and see balladeer has already mentioned Pandolfi...and you've explained the accompaniment.

I knew he would be interested ;\)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 36251, 50 invisible), 1397 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157218 Topics
2309135 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin's action vs. Kawai's Millennium III action
by ColinDS
09/01/14 08:32 PM
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
09/01/14 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
09/01/14 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
09/01/14 04:13 PM
Bach well tempered clavier vs goldberg variations
by hag01
09/01/14 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission