Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1055380 - 02/28/06 07:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Roger, what can I say....WOW !!!

That is one my favorite pieces of music and you did an absolutely fantastic job. I will be saving this one for sure to listen to over and over!

All of you are very inspiring and I enjoy listening very much!! Thanks for sharing.

My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!

I won't give up though, as I've said before, this monster called the piano is not going to defeat me!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1055381 - 02/28/06 10:00 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by rocky:
My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!
ABSOLUTELY NOT, ROCKY! You stay put and continue to record (to the best of your ability).

Afterall, this is the piano bar, and all level of piano playing skill are acceptable and encouraged... Am I right, Mr. S-H...? All levels are acceptable? :rolleyes:

Going on a bit of vacation now with the hubby -

So, see ya around.
Sharon \:\)

That's the spirit - to never give up. Good going, Rocky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1055382 - 02/28/06 11:19 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Rocky:

How can you NOT post your recorded songs??? I am still humming your "my way" tune all the time. Actually, you have inspired me to learn it (honestly!....I did)

I have inspired you and Monica to learn Jim Brickmans "lake eerie rainfall", Monica has inspired me to learn "the gift" by David Nevue. Now Roger has inspired you to learn his song, etc.

We WANT to hear your recordings! I have NEVER posted a recording without mistakes....ever!, listen to them.

It would be a shame for someone with so much talent to keep it to himself. You show others how well you can play after only one year!

I show others how to "cheat", Seaside Lee ,Balladeer, Sharon, Bob and others show how to play by ear; we are all in this together and we need your contributions.

I WILL sick Monica on you if I have too! she does'nt live that far away from you and we will all do what we have to in order to keep you involved!

Some could say that maybe I can be a little "pushy" at times, and although that may be true, its not the case with you.

Deep down I really know you want to participate and post up your songs......so do it! we want you to.

#1055383 - 02/28/06 11:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the encouragement y'all \:D

I'm not going to stop participating in the forums at all..just stop posting any recordings for awhile. I am definitely planning on doing something for the next recital!

Listening to all of you is very inspiring and is what helps keep me going! Like you Mr. S-H it has gotten me to play some pieces I probably wouldn't have even looked at before and it has me trying my hand at "a little bit" of improv.

My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!!

And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... ;\)

#1055384 - 02/28/06 11:50 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Naught Offline

Loc: Ohio
"My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!! "

hahaha, you're killin' me here =)

#1055385 - 02/28/06 01:27 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
O.K. Bob, this is for you. I really appreciate all of the work that you did on the recital project. I was hesitant to post something that was not "polished", but here it is.
Mike White

http://www.savefile.com/files/3865256

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055386 - 02/28/06 02:07 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Awesome Mike! Hesitate no more, that was fantastic! I don't know that song, but your rendition had a very modern sound to it.

btw, for you savefile folks, it's easier if you post the second download link for your music. The one that comes up after you click on the big download button. For example, here's a more direct link to Mike's song:

http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?fid=3865256

Edit: NEVER MIND. The second download link evidently doesn't work. You're still redirected to the first one. \:\(

#1055387 - 02/28/06 02:29 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Oh yes, Wow-Whee!!! \:D

Where's the mistakes, Mike?

More, more... please ....MORE!

ooh, I do like Hunksters piano bar \:D

Lee \:D

#1055388 - 02/28/06 02:36 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by rocky:
And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... ;\) [/b]
Even worse than getting me to sic on you, I'll....I'll.... lecture[/b] to you with more big words like 'incontrovertible'!

Seriously, rocky; please keep posting. The whole point is to enjoy each other's music and delight in each other's progress. I really hate to think that there are people out there who would like to post a recording but hesitate because they don't feel like they're "good enough." In fact, I wish we could talk one of our REAL newbies, e.g., someone who just bought their first keyboard and/or just took their first lesson ever, to post an early recording of a practice session.

#1055389 - 02/28/06 04:45 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Rocky! give over... I love your stuff

Please don't stop \:\(

I'll always be here cheering you on \:D

Lee \:\)

#1055390 - 02/28/06 05:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Mike, very impressive arrangement. Are you playing by ear or Fake Books or what? Nice crisp even sound. Good Job

#1055391 - 02/28/06 06:40 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Y'all.....if I get something worthy to post, I'll post, ok.
But I'm thinking at this point I'm going to be good to have something by the next recital. You see I have this problem. I don't practice! I just play. I play one easy song and move right along to another. I don't worry about all my mistakes, I just play.

I guess I should be the poster boy for people who need lessons? :p

Y'all have been great with all the encouragement and I appreciate it! And listening to your recordings definitely inspires me to keep at it!

And Monica, don't threaten me with those big words! Ya know I'm from Louavull and don't understand. I do wear shoes tho!!! :p

#1055392 - 02/28/06 06:50 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Roger, it's been so long since I first played that piece, I don't remember where I got from. I think it's either Burt Bacharach or Carpenters. I may have had a record or tape? That one would be strictlty by ear though. I'm out of practice on my "old stuff" since I have been devoting so much time into learning to read music and learning new pieces. I used to read chords fairly well, and of course, I already knew how to play the lead on popular tunes of the time. I would simply read the chords to the song and follow the words instead of reading the music. That seams so archaic to me now. I should have at least learned how to read the treble cleft!
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055393 - 02/28/06 07:05 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
Playing strictly by ear is something I've never been able to do. I can hum a song in my head but once I start trying to duplicate it on the piano I seem to lose touch with the one in my head and it's a hopeless jumble. I can improvise some but I need the basic chords written down at least.

Rocky - I rarely 'practice'. I just try to play songs that I like. If I make any improvement it's just an accident and not by design.

#1055394 - 02/28/06 10:20 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mike White:

I just downloaded and listened to your song. That was a really unique song played incredibly well. I remember you from the recital. I think I said to you "R" is for Ringer!!!

That was such an "eclectic" piece. I really, really liked it as I have never really heard that type of song before.

It seemed to have everything in it. Some definite samples of modern jazz, a pop-ish beat some dramatic new-age type chords with even some clasical flairs thrown in.

Again, I really liked it. What type of music would you call that? I would be very interested in playing something like this myself.

I'm kind of torn between how much I liked the song as well as how nice of a job you did with it. Usually people either play a regular tune very well, or they do a respectable job of a really nice song.

For me, I will give you a "10" for not only your playing, but also on song selection. (this is very rare by the way)

Super job , can you tell I really liked the song!!!

#1055395 - 02/28/06 10:41 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Rocky:

From what you just said,you seem to be headed down the same path I've been on for the past 6-months now.

I've been so eager to learn more and more songs (quickly) that I've never really stopped and listened to them long enough to either appreciate them or perfect them.

As I've said in another thread, I'm at the point where I can play almost anything good. On a scale from 1-10, I can play it around a "7-ish".

But then, I seem to move on and learn a new song to the point where I can play that good too, again, around a "7".

Problem is, now I have this huge menu of songs to choose from, but my "menu" consists of lots of songs all played at a "7".

Just recently, I've decided to stop "playing" the piano and start "performing" on it.

I now need to literally go back to song #1 and learn to "perform" it!

"performing" is so much more than just playing the correct notes per bar in the correct time. It is what really brings the song to life, the meaning, intentions and emotions behind the music.

I just learned the basics of "phrasing" which I'm currently viewing as a way to let your fingers do the "singing" and articulation for you.

It is these performance criteria that I now want to go back and learn to do on every song.

I now don't want to just learn more and more and more songs just for a bigger song list to play from. I'd rather play a few songs at a 9 or a 10 than a whole bunch at a "7".

Don't ever let your music become just subtle background music; Let it become a commanding performance which can bring a tear to someones eye, put a lump in their throat, or even make a couple hold each other a little tighter if just for the moment.

This is what a performance can do!!....give it a try.

#1055396 - 02/28/06 10:49 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

O.K., I give in. I will try to bring back some of the stuff I used to play for the piano bar. Your compliments are too kind. It will be deja vu for people near my age group, then again, younger folks may be clueless. Maybe it's time for the "boomer generation" to start flexing it's muscles? BIG HA HA or LOL for the younger generation. I think that this song was by the Carpenter's from the '70;s or'80's maybe? I would have to Google it. I can't remember. I saw that someone posted to this topic and said, since this is a piano bar, I hope that you have had a couple of drinks before you listen to it.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055397 - 03/01/06 08:23 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr S-H, sounds like you are definitely on the right track. Your music sounds great already, so what you are doing now will only make it better!!

I think I've gotten off track lately. The main reason I'm learning to play the piano is simply that I always wanted to do it. I have no dreams of ever being on stage anywhere. I am perfectly happy playing to my audience of one...me! I will continue to play and hopefully improve! And hope that the words in my quote will be true!!
\:\)

#1055398 - 03/01/06 10:03 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Mr Rocky -

Quote:
I am perfectly happy playing to my audience of one...me!
... you have just described the one and ONLY[/b] key to success and fun with the piano. After all is said and done, it comes down to playing for yourself. Anyone who is playing for any other reason will not play for very long, and will certainly be missing out on the great pleasures playing has to offer.

Sometimes I think we all tend to get wrapped up in playing "this way" or "that way" .... or playing something in an attempt to please someone else - that leads to "nowhereville" - fast! \:\(

The other big mistake most of us make is getting into the "comparison" thing. Since I came here, I have enjoyed the spirit of the members of this forum and I thoroughly enjoyed the recent recital. I enjoyed the "simply played" offerings of the truly beginning students every bit as much as the most "polished and advanced" players.... perhaps even more. That early joy that each of us had when we first discovered that we could play anything at all[/b] on the piano can be relived over and over as long as we keep the focus on ourselves.

In my estimation, comparison to others is not a good way to lead your life. In the "piano playing" arena it only leads to unhappiness. Rejoice about what you can[/b] do, and you will be happy and move forward! \:\)

.....thus endeth today's sermon from "Uncle Balladeer!"

Now let's go have some fun!!!!!! \:D

#1055399 - 03/01/06 10:48 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Balladeer....words of wisdom!!! Can we hear an "Amen" !!!!

#1055400 - 03/01/06 02:17 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Loc: Arkansas
This is in bad condition but it's something. Started learning this one 3 days ago, recorded it around half an hour ago, I played it slow and with mistakes plentiful but it's a start! Haven't memorized it yet, this was just playing with the sheet in front of me. It sounds pretty butchered when I play it, but it's a nice song when done right.

Waltz for the Moon[/b] (Final Fantasy VIII video game)
http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7139844

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnotherSchmoe

#1055401 - 03/01/06 02:29 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks, AnotherSchmoe, for sharing with us! It is a pretty song indeed, and I heard only a couple of noticeable mistakes. I'm also deeply impressed that you were able to learn such a LONG song (it has to be 8+ pages, right, to last almost 6 minutes?) in only 3 days. Wow!

#1055402 - 03/01/06 02:34 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Thanks, AnotherSchmoe, for sharing with us! It is a pretty song indeed, and I heard only a couple of noticeable mistakes. I'm also deeply impressed that you were able to learn such a LONG song (it has to be 8+ pages, right, to last almost 6 minutes?) in only 3 days. Wow! [/b]
It's actually only 3 pages, it just repeats itself once. Thanks for the encouragement though! \:D

Here's the sheet I used, found it on a google search, I just wish it had fingerings and dynamics.

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=4449803

#1055403 - 03/01/06 03:43 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
That is very pretty! And very nice job for only a few days into it! I think I will send that link to my daughter- she's the FF player in the family! \:\)

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#1055404 - 03/02/06 10:44 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
AnotherSchmoe Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Balladeer:
I think I have figured out how to to post this song (with a little help from my friends).... we'll see..

This is my interpretation of the "Phantom of the Opera" It may not be exactly what you are used to hearing, but some of you may find it interesting. I find Lloyd Webber songs to be very expressive, and when I grow up I would like to be able to deliver that expression.
http://www.savefile.com/files/2078092

Balladeer [/b]
Wow, just listened to this, that is really good Balladeer!

#1055405 - 03/02/06 10:31 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

O.K. Lee, you said you wanted more, (mistakes and all). I'll put the blame on the bartender, Hunk, who served me all of that chardonnay.
Mike
http://www.savefile.com/files/2023234
I need to get back to Chopin.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1055406 - 03/02/06 11:04 PM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I'm having a tough time downloading the file from savefile.com Mike.

#1055407 - 03/03/06 07:24 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Mike

You ain't gonna like me saying this

but that was unbelievable...you made me cry with joy whilst listening!

Is it just me? can anyone else hear the freedom in Mikes playing ...when he is playing from his heart!

How could you want to give that up?...I don't understand?

Its the freedom of using the creative side of your brain which is limited only by your own imagination and creativity...that in this recording just made my jaw drop.

this is exactly what I am talking
about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm only just starting out on my "by ear" journey and I am loving it...you play like our Mike and that's the highest compliment I can give you \:D .

I love the way that both of you play. Fortunately for me he is able to teach me (i.e. the less gifted and melodically challenged) to one day play something like that...and when I get there I will be in piano heaven (believe me)

Do I want more?

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee \:D \:D

#1055408 - 03/03/06 09:21 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Balladeer Offline

Hi, Mike -

Needless to say, that was terrific! \:\)

Just as Lee pointed out, this is the kind of sound and depth of expression that results from playing with freedom.

Those of us who choose to play by ear are all about finding the freedom. That is our key to joy. It is not for everyone anymore than playing from a score is for everyone ... but for those who like this path, this was an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable example! \:D

Thanks,

Balladeer

#1055409 - 03/03/06 09:46 AM Re: New songs in the PIANO BAR, more wanted.
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Lee and Balladeer. In all these past years, I have been playing for my own enjoyment. I'm to the point now that I want to learn a piece properly and play it all the way through. This forum has given me the encouragement to achieve this goal. My next audition piece will be Chopin Waltz in Ab Maj Op. posth. 69, No. 1 - Brown-Index 95. Do any of you like ragtime?
Mike White

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a steinway rebuilt and a mason hamlin rebuilt
by koap
10/02/14 09:27 AM
Chopin Étude No 12 in C minor, Op 10 'Revolutionary'
by Maximillyan
10/02/14 09:25 AM
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
10/02/14 08:48 AM
Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
by WaterDweller
10/02/14 07:10 AM
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
10/02/14 02:56 AM
Who's Online
117 registered (amt976, aesop, Alexander Borro, Allard, 39 invisible), 1354 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157947 Topics
2319546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission