2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
B
WOW Roger that was incredible!. where are all these people comming from?? The land of hidden talent??
... Mr S-H ... it is YOU you who has inspired them to come out and play!! wink

Balladeer

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I did read the post from the kid asking if he was too old. At first I thought he was pulling our leg but I think he really thought that.

When I was first trying learn to play with Fake books I thought I was somehow 'cheating' but it suddenly occured to me that this is what all jazz musicians do (at a level far above me to be sure, but the principle is the same). Also the arrangers do the same thing, the only difference is that they write it down and sell it and we just play it and smile.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
B
HI again Roger,

.. so you are just playing a harp style arp using only basic triad tones up the keyboard? It also sounds like you are coming back down at least one octave. When you do that, are you keeping the same handshapes, or is an alternate technique involved?

I know sometimes it is more difficult to describe what you are doing than it is to just do it, and appreciate your responses.

Balladeer

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Oh my gosh... FINALLY, I have someone on my side! I have been so lonely over here in "cheaters corner" ! HaHa. I like you Roger, want to come over my house and play some "cheat music" together?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Balladeer - it's just that simple, no fancy technique. Like I said, it sounds harder than it is. I don't tell 'regular' folks that it's a fairly easy thing to do. Just practice making it smooth and flowing and it not only sounds difficult but it's fun to do and feels good under my hands.

Mr. M-H - "Cheat Music" is fun and I'd be happy to.

I still dig out some of the old classics I learned years ago and try a few new ones but it takes way too much work to learn really hard stuff. There's a difference between practicing and playing. I just want to play.
Incidentally, it's true that you are the one that is giving us guts enought to try posting stuff. Before this I never really played for anyone except for a nursing home I did a sing-a-long for a few years ago.

No, I wasn't a patient there :-)

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally posted by Roger Ransom:
It's very easy and sounds impressive. You can roll both hands in both direction while you're doing this and you end up playing a lot of notes.
Wow, Roger! I just now listened to your piece, and I can see what everybody is raving about. Your music sounds very much like Raphael (new age artist) to me and in particular his "Disappearing Into You" album and song of the same name; it's full of the same kinds of rolling arpeggios.

But you're only half right: It does indeed sound very impressive. But I'm not acceding that it's easy! Yes, when you describe what you're doing, it makes sense, and if ALL you were doing was playing those rolling octaves, then you MIGHT be able to convince me that it was easy, even though I'd still have my doubts because of how fast and smoothly you're playing. But, and here's the clincher: How are you doing all that with both hands when you're ALSO carrying a melody with your right hand??? Explain THAT to me, bub! wink

Thank you for sharing with us, and I'm with Bob: there's no need to agonize. We're all just having fun and enjoying each other's playing. I'd post something new myself but somehow I messed up my audacity and it can't find lame any more so I have to reinstall everything. (If there was anybody who doubted my claims re: computer illiteracy, here is incontrovertible evidence.)

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, "In-con-tro-ver- tible" Am I the only one who had to clap this out to pronounce it?? wink

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
BTW Monica, now that you mentioned it, it DOES seem like both hands are playing rolling arpeggios while another hand is playing the melody.....hmmm!!

Roger....come clean!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Roger - like all the other responses so far, I too was amazed by the piece. It really did sound sooo fantastic!! Well done

Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
I've just got to learn how to do that. it sounded like the music played in heaven!
After reading your method of CEG - CEGC moving up the keyboard, that was the first thing I sat down and attempted today. You could say therefore that your playing was 'inspirational' to us!

Euan.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Roger

I have just enjoyed every second of your "Somewhere In Time"

Absolutely beautiful and stunning laugh

Are you Emile Pandolfi in disguise? laugh

Thankyou so much for posting and can you explain how you play that accompaniment, joking aside it is very similar to Emile Pandolfi (and balladeer and I love the way he plays smile )

Monica one of these days you are just going to have to believe wink ...playing piano is so much easier than many are taught and the tragedy is that so many pianos are not being played in homes all over the world (IMHO).

BTW Scott the piano guy teaches how to play from fake books and is most excellent at it...do a "google video search" on Scott and get heaps of his videos for...erm...free

regards

Lee smile

Edit - oops I've just read the responses and see balladeer has already mentioned Pandolfi...and you've explained the accompaniment.

I knew he would be interested wink

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Roger, what can I say....WOW !!! thumb

That is one my favorite pieces of music and you did an absolutely fantastic job. I will be saving this one for sure to listen to over and over!

All of you are very inspiring and I enjoy listening very much!! Thanks for sharing.

My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!

I won't give up though, as I've said before, this monster called the piano is not going to defeat me! smokin

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rocky:
My recording days are over until I make some progress. My attempts at playing the piano are a bit embarrassing as compared to the other stuff being posted!!
ABSOLUTELY NOT, ROCKY! You stay put and continue to record (to the best of your ability).

Afterall, this is the piano bar, and all level of piano playing skill are acceptable and encouraged... Am I right, Mr. S-H...? All levels are acceptable? :rolleyes:

Going on a bit of vacation now with the hubby -

So, see ya around.
Sharon smile

That's the spirit - to never give up. Good going, Rocky!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Rocky:

How can you NOT post your recorded songs??? I am still humming your "my way" tune all the time. Actually, you have inspired me to learn it (honestly!....I did)

I have inspired you and Monica to learn Jim Brickmans "lake eerie rainfall", Monica has inspired me to learn "the gift" by David Nevue. Now Roger has inspired you to learn his song, etc.

We WANT to hear your recordings! I have NEVER posted a recording without mistakes....ever!, listen to them.

It would be a shame for someone with so much talent to keep it to himself. You show others how well you can play after only one year!

I show others how to "cheat", Seaside Lee ,Balladeer, Sharon, Bob and others show how to play by ear; we are all in this together and we need your contributions.

I WILL sick Monica on you if I have too! she does'nt live that far away from you and we will all do what we have to in order to keep you involved!

Some could say that maybe I can be a little "pushy" at times, and although that may be true, its not the case with you.

Deep down I really know you want to participate and post up your songs......so do it! we want you to.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement y'all laugh

I'm not going to stop participating in the forums at all..just stop posting any recordings for awhile. I am definitely planning on doing something for the next recital!

Listening to all of you is very inspiring and is what helps keep me going! Like you Mr. S-H it has gotten me to play some pieces I probably wouldn't have even looked at before and it has me trying my hand at "a little bit" of improv.

My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!!

And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... wink

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
"My teacher (me) still cries when he hears me play sometimes because of all the mistakes, but I slap him down and keep on going!! "

hahaha, you're killin' me here =)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O.K. Bob, this is for you. I really appreciate all of the work that you did on the recital project. I was hesitant to post something that was not "polished", but here it is.
Mike White

http://www.savefile.com/files/3865256

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Awesome Mike! Hesitate no more, that was fantastic! I don't know that song, but your rendition had a very modern sound to it.

btw, for you savefile folks, it's easier if you post the second download link for your music. The one that comes up after you click on the big download button. For example, here's a more direct link to Mike's song:

http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?fid=3865256

Edit: NEVER MIND. The second download link evidently doesn't work. You're still redirected to the first one. frown

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh yes, Wow-Whee!!! laugh

Where's the mistakes, Mike?

More, more... please ....MORE!

ooh, I do like Hunksters piano bar laugh

Lee laugh

Originally posted by rocky:
And don't be sickin' Monica on little 'ol me.... wink
Even worse than getting me to sic on you, I'll....I'll.... lecture to you with more big words like 'incontrovertible'!

Seriously, rocky; please keep posting. The whole point is to enjoy each other's music and delight in each other's progress. I really hate to think that there are people out there who would like to post a recording but hesitate because they don't feel like they're "good enough." In fact, I wish we could talk one of our REAL newbies, e.g., someone who just bought their first keyboard and/or just took their first lesson ever, to post an early recording of a practice session.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rocky! give over... I love your stuff

Please don't stop frown

I'll always be here cheering you on laugh

Lee smile

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission